Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I hope like half of the season involves the Krill and trees so they keep reusing that effects shot.

I mean, not really, but yea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

As a guy who works on nuclear stuff, the fact that a character is named Alara makes me smile.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I have a feeling the Family Guy Man's "comedy Star Trek!" angle was just a means to the end of getting the show made. The "This season..." promo seemed to lean harder on being a brightly lit space adventure. I thought the pilot's second half was stronger than the first and I look forward to more.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

TV critics sure seem to hate the poo poo out of this show. They all love This Is Us, so gently caress all of them.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Davros1 posted:

It's a lot better than Firefly, that's for sure.

THANK YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Space Down Periscope would be my favorite show and I hope that's what this has become by season's end.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Guys, I like this show.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

Good to see that Dora is still relevant 500 years later.

Perhaps she has attained mythological significance in the intervening centuries.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

try the new taco place posted:

It felt like the dumb married couple bickering was relegated to almost the C-plot this episode, which was really nice. Totally not surprised the director was a Voyager veteran, and I don't mean that as an insult.

Yea, a lesser show would have focused more on the "lead" couple's plot. Really, it's Alara's episode. Great to see that happening right off the bat, bodes well for the ensemble.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Sinistral posted:

I'm pretty confident that no matter how bad Discovery is, it will at least be better then McFarlane's warmed over TNG self insert fan fiction.

EDIT: Also lol why am I not surprised that goons are lapping up the show starring a mediocre as gently caress white dude while actively wishing for the failure of the show led by two women of color

Of all the poo poo to zero in on with Star Trek...

Discovery looks like it's going to be a joyless, grimdark slog. If it isn't, I don't think anyone in this thread is going to continue hating it because the lead is the wrong shade.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Selachian posted:

Or maybe it's a Ready Player One type of thing, where everyone has decided that the early 21st century was the absolute height of human cultural advancement.

And like Ready Player One, that character bit conveniently excuses the author from accusations of being a total hack.

(I actually like this show and McFarlane, Ernest Cline is a poo poo writer though)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Mantis42 posted:

They should do that, but instead of a mirror universe the Not-Trek crew should be one of the more prestigious ships in the Orvilleverse's federation, to help reinforce the fact that this show is about underdog b-listers.

Yea, I really want an episode where they have to deal with some hyper-competent crew that always gets along and has a better ship.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I hope Babylon 5 existed as a show in the show universe's 1990s and they find it in the archives and spend an episode making GBS threads on it non-stop.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Comrade Fakename posted:

As far as I remember, none of the pre-release reviews criticised this episode for being offensive, just for being over-preachy and heavy handed. And they were right, because while perhaps not politically offensive, this episode was offensively bad in every other regard. I am embarrassed for everyone involved.

So the big problems with this episode (outside of the general show problems like how cheap it looks, how badly it's acted, how stilted the dialogue is, etc) are in two sections: the sci-fi plot and the humour.

Plot: So, it's full of issues. We're talking about an alien race here, that both the viewers and, for some reason the characters, know almost nothing about. So, until the twist at the end, for all we (and the characters) know the Maclans are 100% to "correct" for being female. Maybe for them females really are drastically less healthy, or strong, or smart than males. Maybe females die after just a couple of years. Until the twist, we, and they, have no idea. And yet this possibility is never brought up, despite the fact that it's the most likely scenario, more likely than the Maclans never bothered to do a Ctrl-F: Ladies scan on their own planet.

Ex-wife's lawyering is awful. Her proof that a female of a completely different species is strong is completely irrelevant. And to demonstrate a stupid man she asks the ginger guy who I found quite charming on ER but is surprisingly unlikable in this a series of questions that we have no context to their obscurity in the future setting of the show. In hundreds of years time, the capital of the USA could very well be irrelevant knowledge to almost everyone. Suffice to say, her intended audience, the Maclans would be even more in the dark than than the viewers. Her bad lawyering is never intended as a plot point or anything. We're still supposed to see her as competent.

For all that, why are the characters so in the dark about Maclan customs anyway? Assuming the Union is a carbon copy of the Federation (and since everything else is, it's a safe bet) wouldn't Maclan have been heavily vetted before entry? And yet everyone on board the ship (which we assume is a fairly representative slice of Union culture) reels at horror at what is apparently a pretty central element of Maclan culture. How did Maclan even get into the Union?

These are basic errors of worldbuilding here.

Humour: Seth McFarlane only knows how to make sitcoms, and the wackier end of sitcoms at that. His goal to make a dramedy is understandable, even laudable, but he has no idea how to do it. So comedy is often completely at odds with the tone, or character or plot. Why were the two leads apparently sincerely suggesting the Maclan guy play Monopoly with them? It might have been a funny aside, but this was in the middle of a tense diplomatic negotiation. It was almost surreal.

The main dad's decision not to change his daughter should have been the crux of the entire show, and yet it is totally undermined by him out of nowhere completely 180 changing his firmly held belief because he watched Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. And for that matter, why did two characters who the dad had no previously shown cameraderie with turn up (at a time when the entire ship - including the two interlopers - were disgusted with his morals) with brewskies and a DVD of a children's cartoon anyway? It was one of the worst contrivencies I've ever seen.

I know everyone loves TNG, and would love to see it back, but seriously this is so far below TNG it's unreal. Even at its worst TNG was a show with boatloads of heart. This is cack-handed self-insert fan fiction.

If MacFarlane's show is pulling this kind of effortpost out of people, mission loving accomplished.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Studio 60 was so profoundly bad and tone deaf

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Spark That Bled posted:

I've been reading up on this show, and I don't see anything progressive about it. I don't know how else to break it to you.

Three episodes have aired, either watch it or gently caress off. Nobody cares what you think of the recaps.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Rainbowbeard why can't you just say "I agree with this obvious take" without turning it into a shitpost?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Does your heart stop if you don't stop posting in this thread for a TV show you haven't watched or something?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I like the idea of The Expanse a lot more than the actual show. Talk about joyless, man gently caress colonizing space.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

3rd episode isn't really working for me because I just can't get over how dumb it is that you have a mono-sex species and its still male. That makes no drat sense. And then one of them is spontaneously born female, like they were male/female all along, but they reproduce male-male... Its like the writers have never heard of evolution. There's no reason why an alien species couldn't just have one gender, or three. And if they only had one gender, they would be neither male nor female. Its just dumb.

And using Rudolph as a teachable moment is so cheesy. Its supposed to be funny but its just dumb. And most of the episode was just "lol gay klingons" which isn't really a joke either.

I don't know if they were trying to be pro or anti trans, but I do know this episode was a huge dumb waste of time.

Save it for your job at i09

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

MacFarlane and his god drat musicals

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Wait, you're kidding me, is it happening? i wish I could watch right now.

Just a clip from one, not The Inevitable

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

I was about to say, did we cause this, bring it about by naming it?

I'm calling episode 9

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Your moment of Star Wars

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

zoux posted:

Jellicoe was right to make her wear a standard uniform imo.

Jellicoe was right about a lot of things, TBH.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I don't even understand why Riker objected to it. "Our people need more sleep, we have a lot of people, so run 4 six hour shifts." "gently caress YOU DAD! WE'RE GONNA RUN 8 HOUR SHIFTS WITH NO BREAKS! I'LL SHOW YOU!" When I first watched that episode, I figured the lines must have been backwards or something and that it should have been Jellicoe demanding 3 shifts and Riker saying people wouldn't be able to handle the extra workload.

90s TV writers didn't actually know what a shift was, and assumed more was bad.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I just think it's awesome that, when nothing is going on, they watch TV on the viewscreen. Because why stare at empty space?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

LostRook posted:

I've also seen the conspiratorial assertion that STD is the "approved" show, and thus critics felt the need to undercut this one.

I remember this happening with Studio 60 and 30 Rock and boy were the critics wrong as hell on that one.

God Studio 60 was bad.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I thought the part where he was tearfully telling the dead-looking robot that amputating his leg was actually a great prank was great and really made that subplot land both humorously and dramatically.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Everyone knew. All of them.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

"Grrrrr sports," said the goon.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I kept flashing back during that episode to the scene in the pilot where the Krill guy onscreen seemed to have a pretty healthy view of the dynamics of marriage.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

adhuin posted:

Space: the final frontier.
These are the voyages of the Krill Destroyer.
Its five-year mission:
to explore strange new worlds,
to seek out non Krills and destroy them,
to boldly go, where no Krill has gone before.

Doing one-offs like this would own.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

I don't really like Discovery so I should probably try this show instead.

I wouldn't imagine its on any streaming service yet, is it? What's this TV thing?

Why don't you try the Google thing, or just searching it on Hulu like anyone trying to stream a currently-running TV show would do?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Your post added less to the discussion than theirs so :ironicat: or something.

Spurring discussion of streaming is a valid question. It also helps contrast how much easier it is to watch ST:TO than STD

Asking where to find something on the internet is the dumbest loving thing

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Aleph Null posted:

What about using Google to search for "facebook.com" instead of just typing in "facebook.com" in the address bar?

Okay, that has it beat. Put a trigger warning on that next time, sheesh

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Yaws posted:

This show sucks.

Actually, it's good.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

This one was pretty good.

Captain Lorca gets strange and horrifying flashbacks from a past life.

Remember when Romano caught him smoking weed and before he could do anything about it a helicopter landed on him?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Klyden keeps the child safe and moisturized within his mouthpouch

Runs a boxing gym for inner city kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Episodes where they focus on the crew really highlight how dumb Seth MacFarlane's face is when he shows back up later in the episode. Just a big, dumb face on him.