Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

I loving hate Seth MacFarlane and his smug stupid face but I'm going to give this show an honest go, I think his heart is in the right place here and it sounds like he's trying to do something more akin to Galaxy Quest or Red Dwarf where you try to find this perfect blend of comedy and legit scifi.

Seems to be missing the comedy part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

R-Type posted:

There is no doubt. Discovery's got paywall barriers and lack of fidelity and has had too many good people get exposed to the project and jump ship because of what they saw. I'm predicting Discovery has Mass Effect Andromeda-itus, It will be libtarded, infected with much SJW poo poo and be too far removed from past practice to have appeal to the fanbase.

:yikes:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Stuffguyman posted:

lol, this thread has already devolved into goons falling over each other defending a show they haven't even seen yet. No, see, even though every reviewer says this sucks they just don't get that real sci-fi is supposed to be terrible!

I may be jumping the gun too, but there's a good chance poking sitcom cliches with fart jokes seems to be Seth's one success and departing from that likely means worse more than better. You only have to look at all the other middling crap he's attempted for evidence of that. 'Overly sanctimonous' showing up in reviews already is telling.

No you see I don't like the new Star Trek so this one has to be good.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

This was aggressively mediocre and the jokes were all bad. :geno:

Basically

Paradoxish posted:

I kind of wish this wasn't trying to be a comedy at all. Almost every single gag was some weird aside that completely broke the flow of the episode or outright interrupted a scene, which just made the really groan worthy ones stand out even more.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ohtsam posted:

Thats quite a split

Trek fans are hella thirsty