Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

They weren't responsible for their own actions because they were Gilliacs, it's just in their nature

Why would a new star appearing suddenly make all the Gilliacs good guys? The star wasn't there when they were born so they're still bad, it's just the babies born from them on that will be good again.

God that was a terrible episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I don't get why Bortus and Klyden are a couple. Bortus seems way more open-minded than Klyden, who is - compared to Bortus anyway - basically a bigot every time something you can be a bigot about comes up.

I know I couldn't be together with someone who is as close-minded as Klyden and it doesn't make sense that Bortus could be.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I don't want a hoodie, I want that leather zipper jacket.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
How can a hospital just refuse your insurance? Like, what the hell, how is that legal?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

pixaal posted:

So in America the hospital says they want to charge 100,000 for something the insurance company says we pay for 25,000 of these a year we only want to pay 50,000 and they pay that instead. If they cant come to terms the insurance company refuses to work with the hospital.

So it's more your insurance doesn't accept the hospital

You'd think at least they'd pay whatever they normally pay and you'd only have to pay the difference.

Then again, it seems a 'normal' rate just doesn't exist.

Hooray for freedom of choice I guess?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol:

everything you need to know about the united states is that it is geared to extract the most amount of money from the poorest of it's denizens and funnel it to the richest citizens.

Yeah I know, I'm just expressing my distaste for it all.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Aleph Null posted:

In the Star Trek Online MMORPG Science Captains can summon holographic ships to help in combat for about 60 seconds. Just three or four Galaxy class (or equivalent) ships popping out of nowhere firing phasers and launching torpedos that do real damage. With traits you can get the cooldown to 3 minutes, I think? No idea why they never tried that on the show. Well, I do know why. Because it's too powerful, but it's still fun to do in a video game.

That mobile projector came from hundreds of years in the future and was impossible to reverse engineer, it was impossible to replicate.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Mokinokaro posted:

Talla is so much better of a character than I expected her to be. It took the actress a couple episodes but she's great now that she's settled into the role.

I liked Alara but Talla is just a much better actress. I hope they give her more and more interesting things to do in the future.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Davros1 posted:

Is there a massive clean up protocol whenever a ship does insane "evasive maneuvers"? Is everything bolted to the floor/tables?

What are you talking about, there's artificial gravity and inertial dampeners, nothing gets spilled.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Time travel is weird. I wonder if Kelly was active trying to change the future/past, or if it was an accident.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
They should sell the leather jacket with all the zippers, they'd make a ton of money.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
2 things about this episode:

* That's NOT how black holes work! You can't just hop in and out of the event horizon like it's a thing you can just hop in and out of. (Looked pretty though.)

* The doctor's talk with her kids at the end made me realise that by changing the timeline, they're effectively removing everybody and everything in it from existence, making them the greatest mass murderers of all time. Twice.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Red posted:

The figure I was looking forward to most is Isaac. Naturally, he was the only one with a lovely paintjob. He's not actually damaged, he just got black paint on his face and leg somehow at the factory. Considering the price tag and that I can't get him replaced, that's extremely irritating.

Could you fix it yourself, paint over the bad spots? Although to make it look really good, you'd maybe have to repaint the entire figure, or at least all the metallic parts.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Red posted:

Well, painting miniatures is something I've done extremely little of. I've done okay with touch-ups here and there, but otherwise I suck at it. The major thing here is that trying to guess the correct paint to use is nearly impossible.

Yeah, and even if you had the exact right paint it would probably be darker because of the black underneath. So you'd have to apply a primer first and then paint over all of the silver. Not easy and a bit of work. Still, it's an option if you want it fixed.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

McSpanky posted:

Temporal anomalies are a dick

They should do this, and then resolve it like 5 episodes later when they start to realise something happened with time a few weeks before.

This is the interview btw: https://youtu.be/8p5p4xKRLWc

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Honestly, it was a bit naive of the president to visit the capital of that deeply divided country on election night. Like even if they had lost, there would have absolutely been tries for political assassinations there.

Yeah, being there on election night is rather unrealistic. Even if the peace with the Union hadn't been such a big issue in the elections, as a foreign leader you have to stay out and be neutral. Both because you don't want to even give the appearance of influencing them, and because if the leadership changes you also want to be able to work with the new government.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

PaybackJack posted:

I wondered why they wasted that reveal of him being born female early on in the episode

This had been revealed already in an earlier episode.

uXs fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 1, 2022

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Facebook Aunt posted:

I wonder what portion of Moclans are born female?

The line in the first relevant episode was that it was a rare mutation that happened once in a generation. But then we see 3, and later a whole colony of women whose parents didn't agree with correcting them, which implies there could be a huge population born-female and quietly "corrected" without anyone but the doctors knowing about it. Maybe even 50%?

The whole species could be synthetic intersex. Like the weird old novel Venus Plus X except instead of being based on ideal of equality it's based on the ideal of toxic masculinity. An entire species that identifies as male and holds females in contempt, but found a way to keep making babies without women.

Moclans going their own way.

It's definitely more than once in a generation, but surely there's no way it's anywhere near as high as 50%.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Alchenar posted:

It's a step into 'you aren't supposed to think about this too deeply', but it's unclear what 'female' means in the context of Moclan biology. Reproduction clearly doesn't require individuals of two genders. Gender reassignment surgery doesn't make you sterile (even if you transition multiple times!) so it seems like actually sex is irrelevant for Moclan reproduction.

Well, maybe it does...

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Very strong episode, liked it a lot.

Few issues though:

* Why was this device, which is arguably the singular most important piece of technology in all of space and time, just laying around on the Orville? A ship that's not exactly doing the safest of missions? Not that the place where they were going to store it seems to have been a much better choice.

* For a sex change of a single girl (which is even - medically speaking - trivially reversible), they ask the top of the Union for permission. But jumping an entire starship (including said time travel device) back several hundred years, just to retrieve a guy who doesn't seem to have done much, if any, damage to the timeline? Eh, let's just do it.

* Bit strange how after getting back, they didn't check their databanks to see what, if anything, had changed.

* I thought they were going to park the ship somewhere out of the way and deep freeze themselves for 400 years to get back to the future, but I like the way they actually did it better. I do wonder though: since they're presumably doing this thing in regular space, from the outside there's this spaceship out there, travelling from earth to this star and back, for 400 years. Shouldn't anybody have detected them? Then again, space is really big and even within 200 lightyears there's (very iffy assumptions and math) about 100k stars?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Wheeee posted:

jesus christ gordon was o’brien’d by his own captain

If the timeline was erased, did it actually happen?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

The Bloop posted:

This is a navel gazey question but Ed definitely remembers a real experience that really happened to him so I'd say yes it did

It's a different question depending on what specifically you're asking though. It didn't happen TO the Malloy on the ship at the end of the episode but it still happened FOR him, like for example he could catch a flu from Ed that Ed picked up from the 10 years older version of him in the branch timeline

Well if it still happened, then what exactly is the problem here?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

The Bloop posted:

What problem where

I don't know, I'm just thinking about the implications.

If you erase a timeline, but it still happened, have you actually erased it?

And if you erase a timeline, so that it didn't happen, what have you actually erased?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Alchenar posted:

Actually according to Orville time travel rules you get to be quite careless because the future can come back and fix things.

If you really don't want to get stuck you should actively try to gently caress things up. Because if you don't and just disappear, they might call it good and not bother taking the risk coming back. If they could even find you to begin with, which isn't easy since by definition you were hiding from history.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

WampaLord posted:

Shame that Lamar and Talia couldn't make it work. Surely there's some kind of safety gear he could wear or something.

I was thinking of holodeck shenanigans. They have a holodeck right? Or just telling the goddamn doctor, maybe she can invent some kind of adamantium bones or something?

Second, anybody else thinking the Kaylon were a bit quick with the whole genocide thing? I'm assuming at some point they modified themselves so the remote controls stopped working, so they could've first gone for "we're free now, what are you gonna do about it", instead of going directly to murdering everybody.

Finally, while I wasn't bored, this episode was looooong. And the diplomacy 'resolution' was still kinda meh. Fairly stupid idea to begin with too, how are you ever going to explain the switcheroo? I guess that's why in the real world we have actual diplomats doing the diplomacy, not our spaceship captains.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Rappaport posted:

If you had a couple of pre-teens giving you agony jolts that make you fall down on the floor for their amusement for hours on end, you might start plotting murder too. The pre-Kaylon aliens were capitalist sadists.

Oh I would start plotting murder much earlier.

We didn't see much of their society though, and out of the 6 we saw, there was one who was already complaining about ethics.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Rappaport posted:

Was she more concerned about her job, being the 'generic PR exec' or whatever, or about the robots' feelings? And she cited what, tens of thousands of people complaining that their sentient Roomba was getting uppity? I'm not a fan of what we did see and hear of their society.

I dunno, she just brought up an 'ethics issue'.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Kurieg posted:

I think this episode would have been better without the weird alien subplot. particularly since the way they resolved it was... weird. "So in your culture you are meant to be faithful to each other but you broke that oath... and we're meant to see that as common ground?"

I think the common ground is that it shows that males in the Union aren't just aggressive power-grabbing assholes, but that they can forgive and still work together?

Still weird though, and I'm not sure what the point was when we already had basically the same story with the Moclans. As they said multiple times in the episode itself even.

And it makes no sense to me that these aliens, who already know about at least the Moclans, would know so little about the Union that they wouldn't know that the Union treats male & female equally.

uXs fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 15, 2022

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Yeah they should do a simulator thing where each of them gets a double that copies their moves ,they go into separate rooms, and the strengths of the simulations are adjusted to safe relative levels.

Why would they need to go into separate rooms?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Yeah the premise in Star Trek is that the Enterprise is the flagship, stacked from top to bottom with the best of the best, so it makes sense that they handle the important missions. And even then for high level diplomacy they would mostly host the negotiations and the ambassadors I think. Well, except that one where Riker did it?

Which is basically the opposite for the Orville, they only gave Mercer the command because they literally had nobody else.

And I guess they moved up the ranks a bit but it still doesn't make much sense for them to have become the de facto flagship.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

CPColin posted:

The robots did it after they learned to talk to each other

I would ask why in their heads but I guess it's convenient to be able to look at something and aim at the same time.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
It's kinda dumb how they were essentially dogfighting in a shuttle with no safety belts, using their touchscreen controls. That will never make sense. (Unless you have an AI controlling the ship and you're just giving it vague strategic commands, and even then it's a reach.)

mcbexx posted:

The matriarch certainly was relieved that Topa was save and relatively sound, but her operation of liberating other females is basically done with the Moclans being expelled and cutting ties to the union.

As much as Klyden was a gigantic dick when he left, the reunion and redemption was extremely sweet.

Well, the sanctuary is now under Union protection, so they're arguably in a better position. And liberating females was always a highly dangerous, clandestine operation, so I don't see much changing there. She's certainly not going to stop trying.

And yes.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Spanish Matlock posted:

I mean most of the crew were also racist in that way though? I don't know if you can be racist against a group of individuals that want to destroy your entire people and way of life.

Yeah I do find it a bit easy to just call her a racist when she had her ship blown up and someone very important to her killed by a species of what very much looks like emotionless robots that also happen to be in a genocidal war with you, for a reason that literally nobody currently alive has anything to do with. Because they murdered them all.

I mean, Charly isn't a good character, but it's not because she hates the Kaylon. That's actually the one thing that makes the most sense about her character.

What bugs me the most about this season and the series is how the Orville started out as a mediocre ship with a crew that's literally just there because they couldn't find anybody else to fill the seats, but is now without a doubt the most important ship in the Union, being at the centre of multiple wars, having the crew in the middle and in charge of hugely important diplomatic talks, and oh they also invent a time travel device and a weapon that can kill all the Kaylon with the press of a button and no collateral damage.

Shame really, a normal ship with normal people finding their way through a dangerous galaxy, making mistakes and trying to fix them is much more interesting than an invulnerable ship of supermen/women.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

PizzaProwler posted:

Think of it like George Washington (a mid-level officer who had a spotty track record during the Seven Years' War) becoming the commander of the Continental Army.

Yeah sure, it's possible to have one or more people turn out to be really good at something, or for them to be involved in or inventing something important, or whatever. But not suddenly all of those things, all together, all of the time.

Or if you still really, really wanted to do this, you'd need to spend far more time having them evolve for it to be realistic.

It's just too much I'm saying.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
That, was amazing.

My only minor complaint was that, as has been mentioned already, I feel they would've/should've shown Lysella the possible effects of breaking the prime directive before she tried to do that, and get her an actual therapist to guide her through the immense culture shock instead of just letting Kelly do it.

Otherwise it was fan-loving-tastic.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Anita Dickinme posted:

Just started watching now but wanted to say that watching Klyden run was absolutely hysterical to me.

I'm slightly disappointed they weren't fully nude.

Also anyone else feel that Kelly is the real robot? The way she always sits up perfectly straight is inhuman, even Isaac has more of a slouch sitting down.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Maybe they were and that's just what their genitals look like

Well, he did say they would be 'fully bare' and 'as [they] were at birth', and I don't think a Moclan would lie about this, so that does make more sense. Unless they are born wearing underpants, but that's just silly.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

You wouldn't download a car

Always the dumbest anti-piracy argument ever. gently caress yes I would download a car if I could!

I guess if you gave humanity replicator tech and something to power it, there would still be fighting over things you can't replicate. Land, religion, power over people, ... But I think it would still be a huge net positive.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I love how Seth just stands there sipping his coffee at the end, because nothing else has to be said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Peachfart posted:

Is it weird that when they were doing the Charley sendoff, that I was actually rather happy she was gone? Terrible actress and a terrible character.
And I also wanted to say that the back half of the season was way better than the first half, it was great TV.

I thought she was fine as an actress?

Just to be sure I watched some of her longer scenes again and yeah, I don't see anything wrong with it.