Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
There has been literally one episode so far so maybe they are saving the episode where it turns out the robot is actually racist and not just xenophobic for like episode 4 or something. And they want to slow burn the joke by making him just seem bland acceptable sci-fi xenophobic that even good characters in sci-fi do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What is your expectation for this robot. He's pretty clearly casually racist.

I am not sure it's what the show will do but it'd be a pretty good gag if he turned out to be RACIST. Like everyone accepts space robots and vulcans being casually superior assholes, or like you said with worf, but it'd still be a good subversion if a space robot turned out to be actually racist. Like everyone can be friends with the vulcan that says humans are inferior and sci-fi just treats that as cute, but like, it'd be a good seth macfarlane gag to give him an episode of saying humans are inferior then have him yank out some opinions on jews or something and everyone being shocked. Like "wait, we didn't know you were RACIST, we thought you just did the space robot superiority stuff!"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That might be funny if it were a one off character but I wouldn't want that character continuing to be on the ship.

Who knows if that is the way they go, but "smug superior race of aliens" is such a cliche that we sort of accept in sci-fi, it wouldn't be a bad twist to see an alien that was just racist. Doing and saying the same things sci-fi aliens always do but with the sci-fi layer stripped off.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

bull3964 posted:

I'm hoping that transporter tech exists, it's just that they're horrified to use it on sentient life due to the whole killing your twin aspect of it.

Star trek teleporters physically move you through subspace, except in episodes they don't because the plot needs you to be datafiles in a computer.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I talked to some people that didn't know this wasn't really star trek, I wonder if that is a thing.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DaveKap posted:

That said, as I was falling asleep last night, I got it in my head that if they brought John de Lancie on as Q except his name was J or something to avoid lawsuit, but he was literally the same character in every other aspect, it would pretty much be the best loving thing in the history of the show, no matter what else they do.

I mean, you know that is the thing "my little pony" did and one of the reasons weirdo nerds like that show so much right?

"Hasbro giving them a very loose rein and generally a policy of "why the hell not?" was what brought it all together. Case in point: Discord. Discord was a character straight off Lauren's pen, because apparently she'd been bingeing on Trek:TNG lately at the time that script got written. She decided to play him just like Q, because why the hell not? She'd originally planned to have Discord voiced by a De Lancie soundalike; but then during one of the meetings, someone (Jayson said it might well have been him) just said, "Why don't we just try to get the real guy?" Sure it cost money, but Hasbro said why the hell not? And John was free, and he was game, so there's our Discord. Why the hell not?"

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 21, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The Bloop posted:

That didn't happen until the beginning of the second season and nerds were well into their obsessive fandom by then.

I won't argue on the exact time line of nerds liking mlp, but discord is openly just john de lancie playing a character that has the same powers as Q in the same role and is openly just hired to be Q by the show's creator.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

cjg posted:

How did she not understand old school Earth references but knew about reality TV?

Isn't that how everyone is about any culture that isn't their own? You just know a random patchwork of whatever while having no idea what other aspects even are.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I can imagine a critic hating this episode because what even is this episode? It wasn't particularly funny. The number of jokes was pretty low. And the story is some plot in the third episode of a show with barely any world building or charactorization.

Like people reading this thread all have the cheat that we watched TNG and so we don't need the setting and characters spelled out. But imagine just being the random tv critic that barely knows star trek from star wars and trying to make sense of this show.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The Bloop posted:

Professional TV critic signed to review a sci fi show: never watched a single episode of Star Trek. And this happened repeatedly?

yeah probably. It hasn't been on for 12 years and a tv critic is more than just any one genre. I bet a ton of them know everything about medical dramas or soap operas and just barely know the conventions of star trek.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's not all that confusing. Yes this is only the third episode but I think the basic gist of the characters is pretty clear at this point.

Yeah, I could tell you the basic character traits just from a photo because I have decades of star treks setting up what the engineer, doctor or science officer is always like and this just went with those rules exactly.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TealShark posted:

The Orville/Discovery dynamic is reminding me an awful lot of the 30 Rock/Studio 60 stuff from the 2000s, where people had Studio 60 pegged as the one to succeed and 30 Rock the one to fail. Then they aired.

People seem to be pretty down on discovery, almost no one seems excited. Which seems reasonable since it's a weird prequel prequel sequel that is going to only show webisodes on a streaming service no one has ever heard of and embargo all reviews till after people have bought the service. I don't think anyone has it pegged to succeed.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Vitamin P posted:

I've seen maybe 10 episodes of Star Trek in my life, and maybe half the movies, but still know a shitload about the setting just from cultural osmosis. It's a completely reasonable assumption that someone who is professionally a reviewer, and in particular reviews TV shows, would know a lot more than I do about pop culture and the historically quite important Star Trek franchise.

There is lots of tv genres, how much do you know about like soap operas? Or medical dramas? or police procedurals, or current sitcoms? Every reviewer is going to have some stuff they know gently caress all about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The Bloop posted:

Yeah that just makes them bad at their job.

Is that their job? Not every critic is for the 18-35 male demographic.