Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Good episode IMO. I think this show has a chance to develop into something quite decent.

Edit: after putting up with 28 years of no loving superbowl ads, I'm glad Canada finally got something, anything to compensate. Hurray for watching a show 40 minutes sooner!

PT6A fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sinteres posted:

It seems a lot more likely that the message will be that it's up to the child to decide who she is, not for the parents or culture or tradition to decide for her.

No, you see, Seth MacFarlane did a questionable thing once and it's inconceivable that he will ever change or grow as a person. It's definitely a good idea to get very angry at our imagination of what he may or may not have done before we see any evidence.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I've never watched Star Trek seriously, I only know its conventions through pop culture references, and I still like this show and have no trouble following it. How dumb do you have to be to have this show confuse you?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is that their job? Not every critic is for the 18-35 male demographic.

Yes, it's their job to know about Star Trek at least enough to understand the references made to Star Trek in this show.

You could pick up more than enough about Star Trek just by watching network banality like The Big Bang Theory, for gently caress sake. It's hardly an esoteric show with limited appeal. The people who were 18-35 when it first started are old as gently caress now, it's not some new cutting-edge sci-fi series.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

precision posted:

...what? The episode's central stance on gender is simply "women and men are equally capable". What, specifically, is "offensive"? Can anyone tell us. You know, without giving anything away...

From what I've heard, the complaint was centred around the episode treating biological sex and gender as the same thing. Which is sort of a valid criticism, but in the way that "this was ignored, and maybe it shouldn't have been," not "one of the most offensive things ever!!!" Given it's an alien society composed of 99.9% one gender, where homosexual relationships are standard and capable of producing offspring, it's difficult to say whether a concept of gender identity or gender expression would even exist in the same way we consider it on Earth.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

What in fucks name were the critics smoking when they wrote the negative reviews? This owns.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Stop, my penis can only get so erect!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Caufman posted:

Essentially that's how a Jewish fan of Hitler's art must feel

Well except that MacFarlane made some tasteless cartoons, instead of killing 10 million people, but apart from that little distinction -- yeah, exactly the same!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

You can have serious and heavy poo poo happen, but in the end you have a cast of characters that mostly gets along and have good motivations working on behalf of a society that's pretty ok if not outright good and nice. The show isn't awkward tension and drama turned up to 11 at all times. I mean I really enjoyed Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul but after watching a couple episodes you feel exhausted, on edge, but its really good TV so you keep going. It's like a really good but really spicy food, you just take little break and it leaves you all sweaty but you always want more because it's really loving good. Something like Orville is a comfort food, it can have some spice and flavour but it goes down easy. Sure it doesn't have the rich flavour of DS9, but it's not stale wonderbread like Voyager.

STD is a half-cooked hotdog covered in ghost pepper sauce because they don't know how to cook and are trying to mask it with spice.

Food analogy not acceptable, please rephrase this as a beer analogy :v:

STD is basically the overhopped IPA with a bunch of alcohol from a big brewery that pretends to be a small brewery. The Orville is a nice, high quality pilsner. Tasty, and you can drink a lot of them.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 2, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Gynovore posted:

Ehhhh. That wasn't a *bad* show, but it wasn't anything special either. No real insights about Dr. Finn, Isaac, no plot twists about the planet or it's people, no funnies except the gloryhole bit.

So far most weeks of The Orville have been like a good episode of Next Generation with a splash of comedy added. This was like a filler TNG episode with nothing else.

Look. Look at how wrong you are.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

WampaLord posted:

It's probably whoever's in charge of sound design being a Boeing nerd, I loving highly doubt Seth is specifying specific cockpit alarms.

And one's "knowledge of airplanes" required to know about that specific warning is: watches Mayday from time to time. And who doesn't? It's basically on all the time!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Peachfart posted:

My siblings and I just bickered and fought using words, until we grew old enough to realize how terrible we were acting.
But that was my point: what The Orville showed was bratty kids acting like bratty kids, not an attack on 'single black mothers' as the earlier poster suggested. And at least these kids stopped being annoying and stepped up when they were in danger, as real kids would.

Yeah, part of the thing about being a kid or even a teenager is that your brain doesn't work the way an adult brain does. You act like an impulsive, selfish rear end in a top hat (by adult standards) without necessarily realizing that you're doing it, or why you're doing it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

What the gently caress does 85 have to do with shorts and 50 have to do with pants/shirts, compared with 25 and 12 or something? It's entirely arbitrary. I prefer Celsius because I think it makes more sense, but I'm familiar enough with both that it doesn't really matter for casual use.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I think the phenomenon where people claim that Fahrenheit is more precise or has "a larger scale" comes down to poor grasp of math, numbers and decimals. American education system fails its people again. SAD!

Also, outside contexts where decimal precision would be helpful or necessary anyway, a degree Celsius is basically the smallest perceptible difference.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Peachfart posted:

Well, I'm glad that is over. And at least we can all agree on the superiority of miles over kilometers.

Nautical miles, you mean. They're better because they're (now) defined by minutes of latitude, making them the obvious choice for navigation and travel.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Xarn posted:

Yup, and this is why it was a rape. It was basically the same as spiking someone's drink with roofies. The only difference is that his roofies are organically made (or, at least he says so, they might just as well not be), but that is not really meaningful difference.

I'm not an expert or even a novice in the field of date rape, but don't roofies just make you basically unable to resist, instead of making you super sexually attracted to the person who gave them to you? I mean, that's a pretty big difference.

I'm not going to say that blue guy definitely didn't do anything wrong, but I think comparing it to roofies is wrong. The people in this case are still aware of what's going on, so it's way more of a grey area.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

And on the sixth day, they did go forth among the people and sperg the gently caress out about Star Trek for some reason...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

WampaLord posted:

But that's my point. You can tell the replicator "Make me a hamburger made from 21st century Whole Foods All Natural Non-GMO beef" and it will do it. Why go through the effort of raising and slaughtering livestock?

It's just rearranging molecules.

We can replicate a lot of different flavour molecules right now, that are chemically identical to those found in fruits and whatnot, yet people still buy poo poo that's advertised as containing no artificial flavours for no particularly good reason.

People are stupid. I don't see that changing in the future.

Buying naturally raised meat will also be a status symbol because it will be needlessly expensive and unnecessary.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Finally saw the episode and I laughed from start to finish, a nice surprise. Got me thinking about how inter-species biochemistry would work but I feel like this might be a good time to hit "last post" instead

God no. We need people actually reacting to the show or people just babble on about Star Trek and temperatures all week. Never hit last post.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

American thanksgiving can go eat a dick, IMHO. I was looking forward to a new Orville and now, nothing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Same, death to america's scifi killing holidays.

Besides, wouldn't Americans be happier watching sci-fi after dinner instead of arguing politics with stupid, drunken relatives?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Babylon 5 did it too. It's difficult to predict how well our current pop culture would really hold up several hundred years from now since audio/visual media is 100 years on, and it's changed *a lot* even in the last 20 years. Before that you had to physically go somewhere to see a play, or be in earshot of someone with a musical instrument and skill to hear music.

And we still appreciate plays, symphonies, novels and other creative works that are centuries old.

Will Seinfeld still be known hundreds of years in the future? Who knows, but it's certainly not impossible by any stretch.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

tarlibone posted:

The egg is really a marvel of evolution.

Did you know that while we all think of egg shells as brittle things that are prone to breakage, it is in fact impossible to crush an egg with the strength of just one hand when your hand is extended directly over your head? Because of the shape, putting an egg in your hand and then lifting your hand so that the egg is right over your head makes it impossible to crush a raw egg. Seriously. Set up a camera and film yourself trying it.

Goddamnit...

Well, I suppose you all might as well see the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

There we go, THAT'S what was bothering me. From their frame of reference, time is exactly the same, but it's whipping by in their home universe! I wonder if they're actually the least advanced society in their universe due to constantly vanishing for decades while everyone else develops apace.

See, this is a cool and good nitpicky question. Not "well how did they know what Kelly looked like?" because even if we knew the answer to that one, it would literally make no difference.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I doubt Disney will change much, if anything. Besides, they seem pretty good about "getting" things and not loving them up. God knows they did a gently caress sight better than George Lucas when it came to figuring out what new Star Wars movies should be like.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Pointing out that they make superhero comic book-based movies which a bunch of ultimately inconsequential action dreck with predictable plots and little dramatic tension really isn't a criticism of my position that Disney "gets" the franchises it controls and what makes them what they are in the way you think it might be.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Making Deadpool more friendly wouldn't surprise me. There were a endless amounts of people super angry because they couldn't bring their kids to see Deadpool because it was rated R.

My buddy brought his 8-year-old daughter to see it and was just like, "oh well, I guess that was a mistake! Don't tell mom, and don't quote that movie at school, sweetie."

Who actually gets pissed off about something like that? We all nearly pissed ourselves laughing about it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

I think Star Wars is basically heading down the same path and I'm salty

It really depends on The Last Jedi.

ANH was very much that way, TFA followed in the same spirit to a ridiculous degree (perhaps worthy of criticism for just how close it followed) and Rogue One wasn't really like that at all, but it was also constrained because everyone already knew what the endpoint of the film was anyway.

Cojawfee posted:

The kind of person who thinks comic book = kids so every comic book related thing must be for kids.

I get why people make the mistake of taking their kid to see Deadpool, I don't get why it would be a cause for getting pissed off instead of laughing about an embarrassing, stupid mistake.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

DaveKap posted:

This is probably the best description I've seen of the film and I'm actually excited because of that.
It also helps that the director apparently did such a good job, Disney said "okay you get your own trilogy now."

That sounds promising. The tomatometer shows good, but I haven't read any of the reviews because I want to see it without too many preconceptions.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Phylodox posted:

And don’t look at red text. Or avatars at all, probably.

It's not a huge deal, I got spoiled on the big thing last time round. There's a difference between that and going in having read critics' opinions of the whole film, down to theme, tone, cinematography, etc.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Bloop posted:

It's not a Serious Issue That Matters and I get that done issue care at all, but none the less gently caress anyone who spoils media for others.

Absolute garbage people.

It's very rude, but on the other hand, gently caress people who make media that's so weak that a spoiler significantly detracts from the viewing experience.

Is there anyone in the past 40 years who's watched Psycho without knowing the twist? Is it quite as good as watching it "clean"? Who the gently caress knows, but it's certainly not bad even if you're not surprised.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jazerus posted:

almost every negative review of the Orville i've read has gotten hung up on this question of "what is this show?" as though it is doing something wrong by being a blend of genres, or that it's simply uninterpretable because of that.

i honestly don't understand the issue. the show is what it is: serious and silly, happy and sad, whatever is appropriate for the situation at hand

i didn't feel that any of the episodes aside from the pilot and the shuttle crash episode were "meh". most of the scripts were pretty smart, the characters are likeable, the humor is generally pretty good...what's not to enjoy?

Some people, it seems, really like to know what they're going to get when they watch a piece of entertainment. And woe betide whomsoever serves them up anything different!

EDIT: The strangest thing is that the crowd that cares so intensely about world building, themes, canon, etc. is also the ones who are loudest about wanting to avoid spoilers. Apparently the actual details of the plot must be kept secret at all cost, but the themes and setting must be so rigidly defined and adhered to that any alteration will cause a revolt. I'm noticing this big time with the new Star Wars too.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 18, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Measly Twerp posted:

Please no. Keep that unfunny knob away from good TV.

So sorry about your taste in comedy...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I think the correct usage of effects is really a hybrid like in Jurassic Park, or Starship Troopers. Both movies are over 20 years old now and still look great for the most part.

Another good example is the Brendan Fraser version of The Mummy. CGI effects were central to being able to create that movie in that specific way, and while it's a bit of a stupid film, it's still a fairly good-looking stupid adventure film.

Much better than the Tom Cruise version.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

"Bang, be banged, but why you so hung up on labels, man? You know what? You're the problem."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

You can't mention hilarious censorship without posting this masterpiece!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cJvDtF1ios

Prink...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Cingulate posted:

Everything Bortus says is hilarious.

YOU WILL BE SILENT!

(but yeah, I agree)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Caros posted:

Given the word choice? Probably Dan Harmon, actually.

Problematic, imho

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

big black turnout posted:

What the gently caress why have you not reported this

Yeah, jesus christ, this is a serious violation of the law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I just started watching this on hulu. Prerty good so far! Could probably do without seeing Tambor again though

Good news, then!