Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
The Isaac Dr Flinn pairing continues to be solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Seeing tough-guy Chad Coleman play a sad neglected husband so well has been really adorable and entertaining too. Quite a contrast between his role in the Wire or Expanse, almost like he's an actor or something!

Holy poo poo I had no idea that was him. I've always loved him in everything he appears in. That is so much fun.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

As a big fan of the whole Isacc Dr. Finn dynamic this episode was a pretty wonderful surprise. Loved it.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Yeah the last two episodes sold me on Talla. There are some forced things with her being so friendly with and knowledgable about the crew so quickly. That said I think her character works with the quick integration.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Well all the World is a Birthday Cake too place over the course of an entire month or longer, so she had time to do so.

True. I think the glimpse we got of a Talla Kelly friendship in the Finn Isacc episode is what I was focused on. That's a pairing I'd like to see more of in a future episode.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

I do enjoy that instead of being a monolithic AI entity the Kaylons are robo butlers that became self aware and weaponized. They aren't some all powerful superior race, they're a group that's still coming to terms with their place in the universe.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

This was a good episode. Gordon and Talla did all the heavy lifting and they pulled it off. Gordon especially hit some big emotional beats really well. With a few word changes this is a classic DS9 episode.

I really love The Orville.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Whalley posted:

Bortus was the only person confused. I just watched this episode literally 15 minutes ago - everyone's aware of what's on the table, Bortus picks up a cigarette and goes "what is this?" and Claire tells him. Nobody else is confused.

Yeah this whole line of discussion is just goons being bad at watching TV again.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

precision posted:

I wasn't expecting Dolly but it's the most Seth MacFarlane thing the show has done yet, but I mean that in a good way

I ended up listening to 9-5 multiple times today. Dolly is good.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Azhais posted:

It'll be some family guy recurring star, like H John Benjamin. Or a digitally reconstructed Conway Twitty.

I didn't realize how much I want Benjamin on this show until now.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also, Kelly is on command on the ground and Not Allara (who I like but can't remember her name) is in command of the ship taking on the traditionally male roles kicking rear end.

Talla is cool.

My biggest concern in regards to Klyden is that we lose Chad Coleman on the show.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 13, 2019

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

I think the most important thing they've established with Talla is that she's someone you want and are happy to have on your side when things go to poo poo.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Yes! I love the House of Quark.

The Moclans are seriously my favorite part of the Orville. They're pitch-perfect satire in that they're both entirely serious and completely laughable at the same time.

I think that's a big reason Bortus is their go to for B plots that don't need a lot. Moclans just work as a contrast for anything, and if you need them to be funny give them some cigarettes or a mustache.

And when they want to get serious they've had some of the best episodes of the show.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Yeah I actually like how Talla works with the rest of the crew more now especially with Kelly and Dr Finn.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Just thinking about why I like what Talla adds to Kelly and Dr. Finn's characters. Kelly spends a lot of time being the romantic focus for the captain, and Finn spends a lot of time being a mother and the veteran of the crew. With Alara they were often playing mentors to the younger character. Talla lets them just relax, and talk, which leads to some good needed scenes.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

I am kind of surprised they focused on Finn so much for the opening episodes of this season but Penny Johnson Jerald is legit probably the best on the cast for adding heart to a scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

I've dug this show a ton but I fell asleep during the last episode and it feels like work to go back.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 19, 2022