Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Boxsters are pretty stiff, could one not use the 2x4 trick that people with Mini coopers use? mini jack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

That's a really neat idea. I wouldn't trust wood to not deflect but a length of boxed metal the length of the car then putting stands under it seems like a nifty solution, I don't have easy access to a welder but even a bolt through each end to match the centering hole on each lift point wouldn't be a bad idea.

Certainly seems safer than the method I've been using.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That is interesting, but I don't know if the plastics along the rocker would allow it without making it standoff quite a bit. Might though? :shrug:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

1/2" past the factory lift points should be enough to clear the plastics. Would just have to add in some large washers around the bolts at both ends of the box tube to make a spacer. It's a little annoying how you can't grab the rocker directly without hitting plastic first anywhere but the lift points.

As long as the deflection along the length of the tube is less than around 1/4" I'd be happy.

It's kinda sounding like a homebrew quick jack actually now that I'm thinking about it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

For those playing at home, I've pinched this picture from pelican parts site from their guide on removing the under body cladding.

As you can see, it's a sea of plastic and the lift points are the same points you want to use to suport the car on jackstands.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Jesus christ, it's like a Lexus engine bay. I take it that makes some difference for fuel economy or track day bro

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah. a flat bottom is a significant reduction in both drag and lift.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I can imagine a Porsche Purist™ 30 years hence at a concourse d'elegance tutting about one of the center fasteners not being the correct Porsche Plastic©. While ignoring that all the electronics don't work anymore.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Actually a curious thought, typical classics now have very simple electronics and if they do break they're either fairly simple to repair or replace with a modern equivalent. Current cars are quite complicated electrically and are fairly proprietary. It will be interesting to see how it'll be handled in the future.

Bad news with the clutch line. It's on backorder from Germany and the plastics my guy can't find from any of his suppliers. Guess I'll be shopping around.

There's always the dealer if I can't find them online :a2m:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Bajaha posted:

Actually a curious thought, typical classics now have very simple electronics and if they do break they're either fairly simple to repair or replace with a modern equivalent. Current cars are quite complicated electrically and are fairly proprietary. It will be interesting to see how it'll be handled in the future.

Bad news with the clutch line. It's on backorder from Germany and the plastics my guy can't find from any of his suppliers. Guess I'll be shopping around.

There's always the dealer if I can't find them online :a2m:

Porsche junkyard?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I know of one guy in Quebec who runs a Porsche JY, Seb from 987part.com

I've bugged him in the past looking for small things but I've never bought from him before. I might see what he has to offer.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I have some success finding parts on ebay, try this exact string: 'boxster fairing -bs' or 'boxster tray -bs'

poo poo, I found a 1995 Miata steering wheel in perfect condition on ebay for $169, so the parts are out there just waiting for the right search string. -bs is your friendo.

e: I found two boxster clutch lines for ~$50 on there. 'boxster clutch line -bs'

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

FYI, for those that don't know, this is the Quickjack

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Thanks! the -bs clears out a lot of the, well, bs in the search results. How have I never heard of this search modifier before. Unfortunately I haven't found the exact part I need for the clutch line, it looks like its specific to the 997/987 generation. The fender liner is available on ebay, but the prices aren't any better than what suncoast offers so I would probably prefer to go through them. Sent out a bunch of quote requests so I'll see who gets back to me, otherwise I'll keep an eye on ebay. Too bad I just missed their 15% off they had yesterday. The underbody piece I've found that used prices with shipping (for undamaged parts that just have some minor wear) is getting dangerously close or exceeding the brand new price so that's why I've been going with new for the plastics so far.

Took a quick look today to verify that the locations of the clutch lines disconnects and it all looks manageable.

Just past the fender entrance disconnect located

And location down the rocker found. With spidery goodness.

And the first old bashed up underbody cladding piece is removed

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What part of the ad is -bs removing?

Bajaha posted:

They'll be fixed the same way computers are now, at least physically. I recapped my '92 Civic's ECU last year, it didn't take any special insider knowledge to identify broken poo poo and make it not-broken.

Software might be a bigger problem but if there's enough demand, some rear end in a top hat will hook up a JTAG and figure out how to get in there. I know there are a few groups of people right now who have reverse-engineered their own Leaf drive computers and piggybacked on Tesla computers.

Even after the boomers die, though, we'll still have people who find a 2017 Ferrari 488 in a shed, notice that it has a dead battery, and decide to put a carb on it instead of learning to diagnose anything that wasn't taught at Sisterfuck University at the School of Hard Knocks.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 29, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
"-bs" removes all of the "suggested" results. Anything that they THINK matches any search parameter.

If you search for "countertop dishwasher white" you'll get results where the title is "INNOVA DISH WASHER" and "Color: White" is part of the description. If you search "countertop dishwasher white -bs" the title HAS TO HAVE all of those words, exactly. It won't give you results for "counter top" or "dish washer" or anything without the word "white" in it.

Been a trick since like 2003, and it's good.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is that documented anywhere by eBay? Feels like it's something that's just luck that it works.

If it is actually intended holy poo poo eBay just got so much better.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Is that documented anywhere by eBay? Feels like it's something that's just luck that it works.

If it is actually intended holy poo poo eBay just got so much better.

I've been using it for literally over ten years. Give it a shot. "-bs" removes all of those "FITS: 1988 OLDSMOBILE" listings when you search for "1988 1987 Oldsmobile RH Rear Tail light" or whatever. I am 100% happy that they kept it with their 2013 "Cassini" search algorithm update, or else I would have dropped ebay entirely.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
As someone who buys on eBay as part of my job this tip may have literally changed my life

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

everdave posted:

As someone who buys on eBay as part of my job this tip may have literally changed my life

Happy to help! :buddy:

slidebite posted:

Of course the guy that can afford quickjacks has a 911 :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love quickjacks for working on my shitheap miata, but goddamn they cost as much as the car!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

slidebite posted:

How movable are those? Or do you generally leave them in place and drive over them? I have a tiny 2 car garage and any garage work I do would likely be booting one car out and putting that thing in the middle, which seems like more trouble than just grabbing a jack vs. moving that thing in place each time.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I've been using it for literally over ten years. Give it a shot. "-bs" removes all of those "FITS: 1988 OLDSMOBILE" listings when you search for "1988 1987 Oldsmobile RH Rear Tail light" or whatever. I am 100% happy that they kept it with their 2013 "Cassini" search algorithm update, or else I would have dropped ebay entirely.

I mean it seems to work, I just don't understand why.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Quick Jacks are as expensive as a hoist

-bs = -bullshit?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

Quick Jacks are as expensive as a hoist

They are, but they're also portable, don't require installation in a garage, and don't require overhead room. ChrisFix uses his on his driveway, for example.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

I remember learning it from some old, offsite forum poster that insisted it stood for bullshit and that it was his uncle that worked as a programmer for ebay. That type of thing.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Not high enough for 911 engine removal I think.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Son of a diddly, I don't believe it.

I sent out a quote request to the local dealer just for shits and giggles and now shopping around, it's pretty much the same price as everything else I can find online for either new or used when you factor in shipping and currency exchange. I'll look around some more over the weekend but I think dealer might actually win out in this since the things I need are pretty oversized so shipping is high, and less likely to have an issue with something cracking/bending in shipping.

First time for everything folks.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
In my experience, dealerships usually win for big poo poo like bumpers or undertrays.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Also when you need the last set of drum brake backing plates still avaliable in North America before you realize that a disc swap would've been cheaper than rebuilding the drums.

"-bs" removes all of the "suggested" results. Anything that they THINK matches any search parameter.

If you search for "countertop dishwasher white" you'll get results where the title is "INNOVA DISH WASHER" and "Color: White" is part of the description. If you search "countertop dishwasher white -bs" the title HAS TO HAVE all of those words, exactly. It won't give you results for "counter top" or "dish washer" or anything without the word "white" in it.

Been a trick since like 2003, and it's good.

Holy poo poo. Holy loving poo poo.

E: I just plugged "Toyota FJ45 -bs" into ebay and my mind is loving blown.

Why did you do this to me? I'm about to embark on Operation: Year of the Job and you just found me a field of loving unicorns.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 30, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You poor, ebay-search-molded souls.

Reject Cassini. Embrace the -bs.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Seriously, sorry for the derail, but apparently there's brand new oem lock cylinder sets for my 40yo truck, amongst other things. That NOS gauge cluster we all went agog over the cheap price of in my thread is apparently common af, and then there's this:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Toyota-FJ45...Ufy7Yf_rJMolKTQ

I haven't even started in-depth searches.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Dave Inc. posted:

Not high enough for 911 engine removal I think.

Yeah, it is. Few inches to spare actually.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Larrymer posted:

How movable are those? Or do you generally leave them in place and drive over them? I have a tiny 2 car garage and any garage work I do would likely be booting one car out and putting that thing in the middle, which seems like more trouble than just grabbing a jack vs. moving that thing in place each time.
Yeah I leave them down and just drive over them. They are a bit bulky, probably 75ish lbs each but they have wheels on an end so the are pretty easy to move. About 6' long I think. Not exactly compact but I have used them in a few places so it's handy.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 30, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Do you actually roll on top of them, or do you lay them out down the middle of the car and then slide them out after you move the car?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

You poor, ebay-search-molded souls.

Reject Cassini. Embrace the -bs.

I don't suppose there's also a magic code that makes the shipping prices reasonable.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

IOwnCalculus posted:

Do you actually roll on top of them, or do you lay them out down the middle of the car and then slide them out after you move the car?
For final maneuvering to lift the car? Yeah, the later. You just slide them around from roughly centered under the car, or at least that's what I do. Basically I keep them about a foot apart under the car and then if I need them just slide them under the rockers and line them up. Takes about 2-3 minutes I'd guess. They are smooth and slide relatively easily, or not with a ton of difficulty at least.. but they certainly have mass so it's not what I would call completely effortless. The wheels I was talking about was more for moving them around your garage or transporting them.

I don't suppose there's also a magic code that makes the shipping prices reasonable.
God drat, we get so hosed in Canada for shipping, and not just international. I sent a small parcel to my mom (literally the size of a large TV remote) from Lethbridge to St. Albert a few months back and I think it was $12 or something stupid like that.

e: Regarding the comparison of QJ to a hoist, there is some truth to that... or at least for a cheap chinesium hoist they would be. Not going to lie, I would have preferred a true hoist as it is nicer to basically stand under the car BUT my old garage really didn't have the height or width to comfortably do it. I also had a suspicion that we'd be moving so I didn't want to install just to rip them back out again (turns out we did that year). The portability is kind of nice, I can bring them to a friends or use them on the flat part of my driveway if I want. And they were a few hundred $$ cheaper. The Costco deal locally though is probably at least $500 cheaper than I paid a year ago though.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 30, 2018

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Holy poo poo. Holy loving poo poo.

E: I just plugged "Toyota FJ45 -bs" into ebay and my mind is loving blown.

Why did you do this to me? I'm about to embark on Operation: Year of the Job and you just found me a field of loving unicorns.

Just to push you a little farther off the edge, 15% off today if you buy through the app, min $50 purchase.

They must really want to push up their sales numbers. I haven't seen this many coupons for ebay so close together ever.

slidebite posted:

God drat, we get so hosed in Canada for shipping, and not just international. I sent a small parcel to my mom (literally the size of a large TV remote) from Lethbridge to St. Albert a few months back and I think it was $12 or something stupid like that.

Canadian shipping is indeed stupid. I shipped a gauge face for the sport chrono, so literally like 2" x 2" by flat piece put into a tiny flat box and it cost $25 to ship it to california through the cheapest method and comparatively I ended up shipping a diff from North Dakota down to florida iirc for something like $50 usd a few years back.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

-bs is both a blessing and a curse. My wallet weeps as this and the 15% off sales have just had their way with it.

Picked up more stuff I probably don't need but I'm pumped about.

Thanks! (:argh: ?)

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

So, since I have to bleed the clutch when I install the new line, it would probably make sense to replace the brake fluid going to the calipers as well, and if I'm doing that the calipers could use a refresh as they look a little worn on the finish. I know a guy who owns his own powder coating business https://www.ioncoating.ca/automotive so I'm thinking of going that route. Current calipers are a faded and brake dust stained grey, so could definitely use a refresh.

Now, onto the important questions. WHAT COLOUR?

Option 1:
My initial gut feeling was going for a factory style red caliper:

My car is black with no accent colours anywhere on the car, inside or out. The red should be a nice fit and adds some flair without being too flashy.

Option 2:
Yellow/Gold has really caught my eye. It looks particularly good with a matching thin spoke black wheel. Unfortunately for me I plan on sticking with the silver S 5 spoke forked wheels.

With this one, I do have the option of adding a little more matching touches to the car. I currently have an FVD yellow gauge face that I was planning on selling, but if I go with the yellow calipers I would install this as well.

There's a nice step by step guide here for the install: http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/cayman-cosmetic-mods/p356-fvd-speed-yellow-gauge-faceplate.html

It's a little daunting as breaking or damaging any of the fragile plastics means having to source an expensive gauge cluster as none of the pieces are available separate. It also involves cutting plastic retaining rings.

Option 3:
???? Go wild with some other colour.

btw, this is like textbook scope creep, at least I'm self aware, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I vote Yellow/Gold, always loved that color on calipers.