Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
"I'd rather be a good liver than have one." - Ezekiel Elliott :neverforget:

Welcome dear friends to the 4th year of the ISO:FT fantasy league!

The idea is simple: a fantasy league where in lieu of paying league dues, everyone commits to providing one box of local craft beer worth at least $50. At the end of the season, everyone will ship out their boxes to the victors. Each box should contain at least $50 worth of beer - and can be a mix of bombers/large format and individual cans/bottles. Growlers are cool as well, but take care in shipping. I recommend against shipping 4 or 6 packs - please try and deliver a good variety of different beers for your recipient to try. Mix-a-six can be a good option, and some bottle shops will let you break up packs.

Last season was a downright slog with no team entering the playoffs with a record better than 9-4. Ultimately, #4 seed :thumbsup::siren:dphi:siren::thumbsup: was the victor.

First some house keeping:
  • League roster and scoring rules are here: http://games.espn.com/ffl/leaguesetup/settings?leagueId=1018860
  • it looks like we had a few deadbeats who did not send boxes out last year. We all backed our entry into the league with toxx clauses, so if those who have not responded do not get in touch by next Wednesday, August 16th, I will be reaching out to mods to enforce those and they will obviously not be participating in the league this year.
  • Between deadbeats and those who have chosen not to return I think we will probably have the opportunity to shrink the league from 16 teams to 12 or 14, which is probably a good thing. I would like to cap the league at 14 teams this year, since I think that makes rosters (and thus games) a little bit more exciting, and also makes scheduling the playoffs and byes easier.
  • If you would like to participate in the league this year, please make sure to follow the directions at the bottom of this post for instructions on how to join. In case we have more than 14 interested players, preference will be given to players who participated last year first.

Current participants:
Mikey Purp
Catfish Noodlin
Hatfulofhollow
spacejung
dphi
umop apisdn
Baldrash
Avenged
Zam
Retamnav
Alfalfa
Veritek83

Waitlist:
OxySnake
Its Miller Time

Pay-out Structure

We can tweak the breakdown later based on feedback the actual number of teams participating, but below is my initial thinking. Also, I quoted ex-commish CErvixalot above, but it bears repeating: Each box should contain at least $50 worth of beer - and can be a mix of bombers/large format and individual cans/bottles. Growlers are cool as well, but take care in shipping. I recommend against shipping 4 or 6 packs - please try and deliver a good variety of different beers for your recipient to try. Mix-a-six can be a good option, and some bottle shops will let you break up packs.

Winner: 5 Boxes of Beer

2nd Place: 3 Boxes of Beer

3rd Place: 2 Boxes of Beer

Highest Single Game Point Total: 1 Box of Beer

Winner of the Loser's Bracket: 1 Box of Beer

:siren:IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO PARTICIPATE, HERE'S WHAT I NEED FROM YOU ASAP::siren:
Ok, so...If you would like to participate in the league this year, please follow the instructions below (even if I already have you listed as a participant above):
1. Fill out the Doodle poll here to help us schedule the draft: https://doodle.com/poll/wn62xfzed2nwenrb
2. Post in this here thread with the following:
Toxx:"I, <SAforumsname> :toxx: on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season."
Draft format preferred (auction/snake):
Your current team name on the ESPN page:
Status of last year's box (if applicable):

Ok, I think that's it for now...but PM or post in this thread if there's anything I missed. I'm excited for another season, let the games begin!

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Reserved for future announcements.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
I, spacejung :toxx: on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season.
Draft format preferred (auction/snake): snaaaake
Your current team name on the ESPN page: AlexSmith Checkdown Stout
Status of last year's box (if applicable): hopefully already consumed by the champ

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I, <SAforumsname> :toxx: on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season.

Auction

De Cam Newton

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 12, 2017

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
Toxx:"I, <Avenged> on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season."
Draft format preferred (auction/snake): auction
Your current team name on the ESPN page: Ben Roethlislager
Status of last year's box (if applicable): sent and received

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
Looking forward to another year with you guys.

I, Baldrash, :toxx: on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season.

I prefer auction, but if everyone’s down for snake, that’s fine.

Name in last year’s league is Z-Flat Natty Lite.

Last year’s box was received and hopefully consumed by this point.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Toxx:"I, Catfish Noodlin on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season."

I prefer Snake

Team name was Miller High Life(I will try to do better)

Last year's box has long since been sent.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Should we be considering a harder deadline for packages? Like before the actual NFL draft or something?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Yes. There's no reason you can't ship out a box within 2 weeks of the season ending.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

If you haven't filled out the uhh...Doodle get on it so you can make sure you can participate easily in the draft.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

Toxx: "I, Zam on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season."

Draft format preferred (auction/snake): Either is fine with me.

Your current team name on the ESPN page: RKelley's Golden Ale

Status of last year's box (if applicable): Sent.

And yes, there absolutely needs to be a timeline requirement on shipping boxes.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Sent a reminder to dhpi and then asked Drunk Nerds if he wanted in for next year. I'm not sure who all flaked out on sending their boxes so I haven't hit up any more of last year's participants.

We need five or six more participants to get to 14, I'm thinking we should post a recruitment in the Something Offal beer thread rather than take any filthy non-beer fantasy posters?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Yeah post in the beer thread. I can also post in some local beer groups outside of SA if we need people.

umop apisdn
May 22, 2003
upside down
Even though last year turned out pretty poorly for me (first auction draft and I was not prepared at all), I'm in for this year, especially if we drop to 12/14 teams again.

Toxx:"I, umop apisdn on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season."
Draft format preferred (auction/snake): SNAKE, for the love of all things holy
Your current team name on the ESPN page: TOM BRADY SUX13MAY15
Status of last year's box (if applicable): shipped (a little late, I know) to Drunk Nerds.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

What do you guys think about scaling the league down to 12 for this year? My thinking is that last year's 16 team league was huge and resulted in some teams being doomed by the draft and unable to compete or find gold on the waiver wire...which resulted in people abandoning their teams. 12 is the sweet spot as far as I'm concerned where everyone can have a fair chance and the draft is important but not determinate. Also, the less people that participate, the less chance for assholes not sending boxes.

Yay/nay?

P.s. I fully intend to make a deadline for sending boxes this year. And I think that the only outstanding box from last season is 5436 who has been completely nonresponsive despite posting in other threads. Gonna look into getting him banned.

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
I'm totally fine going down to 12/14.

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
I like big leagues, but I'm in that 20-team monstrosity this year so that itch will be sufficiently scratched. 12 or 14 sounds good.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

As funny as big leagues are, I think 12 is the sweet spot. 14 leads to some funny waiver wire moments. Beyond that it's thunderdome.

So yeah, I'm down with dropping it to 12.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

12 is about perfect for me. I posted on the Beer thread earlier today, so hopefully we'll get someone from there interested.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Alright, I'm in. I'll do the doodle and toxx shortly.

Oh and broom was the other guy that didn't send a box. He sent a great box to me for a BIF a while back so I was surprised.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

12/14 is fine with me. 16 was a lot of fun, but I have no issues dropping the count down a bit.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Toxx:"I, dphi toxx on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship (on time) to one of the league winners at the end of the season."
Draft format preferred (auction/snake): No preference
Your current team name on the ESPN page: Blasting Tapes
Status of last year's box (if applicable): shipped to Retemnav

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Seemingly no response to my recruitment post in the beer thread. We're up to 9 people now I believe, any recommendations?

I checked the old thread, and of last year we have:

Cervixalot
Avenged
Baldrash
HatfullofHollow
Catfish Noodlin
Retemnav
Railrod Terror
dphi
Spacejung
Jota
Zam
Broom
umop apisdn
Mikey Purp
Drunk Nerds

Names that are crossed out either bowed out this year, or did not send their boxes and and shamefully banned for life and should be Toxx'd soon(?)

I sent the following people who have competed in years past or expressed interest in previous threads DMs: Retemnav, Swickles, coronaball, Beer4TheBeerGod. Railroad Terror does not have messaging, MikeyPurp you wanna send them an email, if not I'll pester Cervixalot for it, provided they were in good standing.

I've got a couple more people who expressed interest in the 2016 and 2015 threads I can contact, but I figured I'd give those people some time so we don't end up with too many?

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 18, 2017

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
I like our lovely rosters where we scramble to spend max waiver bux on Eddie Royal. The more the merrier

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Hey guys, I'm gonna tentatively bow out this year -- too many other engagements. Had a ton of fun though, good luck to all

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Based on current doodle results, August 30th is looking like the best time for the draft. I might be running into a situation similar to the one I had last year where I have two drafts overlapping, but, well gently caress it.

The larger issue is that as of right now we have 9 people who are definitely in this year, and we're having a hard time finding more. If we can get at least one more person we're good in principle, but I'd really like to get up to 12 at least. Catfish noodlin and I have been discussing our options and I think we'll try to cast a wider net by making a recruitment post in the general FF thread, but if we do that we might want to take some precautions to ensure that people are willing to put together and send boxes, especially if they haven't done so before. I'm thinking that we could ask them to paypal $50 dues at the start of the season, to be refunded when their boxes are shipped...but not sure if that would put some people off.Only other options I see would be to advertise on those other forums or maybe bring in some IRL friends, but I would think that both of those would be less desirable. What do you guys think?

Also, speaking of not sending boxes, I've looked through the old post from last season and it looks like the main shitlord never posted a toxx clause...so not sure what recourse we really have, unfortunately.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 18, 2017

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Thanks for the PM Catfish! I'm in again this year, although I'm woefully behind on my research/prep.

Edit for Toxx:

I, Retemnav, :toxx: myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season.
Your current team name on the ESPN page: Another White Running Back
Status of last year's box (if applicable): confirmed delivered to Zam

Retemnav fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 21, 2017

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Awesome, welcome back Retemnav! When you get a second, could you edit your post to include a toxx and replies to the questions in the OP?

Also, I will have to resend you an invite to the league, will try to take care of that tonight or tomorrow when I'm not phone postin

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I like beer. I like fantasy football. I'm in if you'll have me. I'd prefer not to do a dues deposit, but if that's necessary, I will.

"I, Veritek83 :toxx: on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season."

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
This sounds amazing and wife can't get mad because its not "technically" for money.

Plus what's one more league.

"I, Alfalfa :toxx: on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season."

Draft format preferred (auction/snake): snake auction

Alfalfa fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 21, 2017

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Awesome! Please post or PM me your email addresses and I'll send out invites. Also I am not sure if I saw a doodle answer from you Veritek, but if August 30 works for you then don't worry about it.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Nice, so it looks like we're at 12 then?

Alfalfa and Veritek83, not knowing what level of beer nerd bullshit you're on just as a brief FYI you should check out the end of the 2016 thread for examples of what was sent out:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784563&pagenumber=9#lastpost

Basically you need to know what regional-exclusive beers are in your area that people might want.

Also, it's probably worth taking a look at the beer-trading thread and seeing how people ship them out if you don't have experience with that:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3443315

Just fyi, it costs me like $20-25 most of the time I ship a thing of beer out, and that's even with a UPS account where I can pre-print a label and lie about what the package weight is

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Nice, so it looks like we're at 12 then?

Alfalfa and Veritek83, not knowing what level of beer nerd bullshit you're on just as a brief FYI you should check out the end of the 2016 thread for examples of what was sent out:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784563&pagenumber=9#lastpost

Basically you need to know what regional-exclusive beers are in your area that people might want.

Also, it's probably worth taking a look at the beer-trading thread and seeing how people ship them out if you don't have experience with that:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3443315

Just fyi, it costs me like $20-25 most of the time I ship a thing of beer out, and that's even with a UPS account where I can pre-print a label and lie about what the package weight is

The shipping info is very useful, thanks

I'm in Richmond, VA, so in terms of what's regional, this is a pretty representative list.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Veritek83 posted:

The shipping info is very useful, thanks

I'm in Richmond, VA, so in terms of what's regional, this is a pretty representative list.

Sounds like you're pretty good shape then, but feel free to let us know if you've got questions about anything.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Sounds like you're pretty good shape then, but feel free to let us know if you've got questions about anything.

Thanks. I'm in Houston so I have plenty of options from the "region" aka just Texas.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Those of you who have not weighed in on snake vs. auction... it looks like we're at 4-4, with 2 abstaining.

Waiting on Retemnav to toxx/vote, and Mikey Purp you should probably weigh in too you're running the drat thing

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I've been keeping track of votes in a separate spreadsheet, was planning on posting up results once everyone has weighed in. Personally I'm leaning auction, for the record.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Is there still room on this league? Playing for beer sounds like a ton of fun.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

OxySnake posted:

Is there still room on this league? Playing for beer sounds like a ton of fun.

I think the general consensus was that we were gonna stick with 12 this year. We can hit you up next year if so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Yes, I think that for now we'll stick with 12, but I've updated the members list in the OP and added OxySnake to the waitlist. If we get more interest before the draft we can consider upping to 14. A few other updates:

• I've gone ahead and closed the Doodle with :siren: August 30th at 9pm EST :siren: being the clear winner.
  • Cervixalot and I had to get ESPN support involved to get his old team removed from the league, because reasons. Finished that this morning and the last invite just went out to Veritek83.
  • Retamnav, please accept your league invite and edit your joining post to include the Toxx, team name, and preference on snake/auction.
  • Speaking of snake/auction, right now the votes are 5 auction, 4 snake. So depending on retamnav's vote we may need the abstainers from weighing in.
  • I've changed the abbreviations for each team to reflect your SA user name. Please don't change that, as it makes it easier to know who's who when talking poo poo. I also set up a groupme chat that we can use throughout the season since no one ever uses the ESPN message boards and posting on SA is not ideal during games. If you aren't familiar with groupme, it's basically just a chat client for ios/android. The chatroom URL is on the league site message board.
  • I've decided that for Alfalfa and Veritek83 we can forgo the $50 dues paid upfront, since you are both pretty active and prominent posters and all signs point to you not being shitlords of the highest order.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 21, 2017

• Locked thread