Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
A common brushtail possum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
I found this handsome little fellow in my backyard.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Hell Yeah posted:

i live in an apartment, and thus, i have no backyard. there's some broken bottles and poo poo in the alley.

I want to see that alley

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I saw 12 meteors in my back yard tonight

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

My new neighbor.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

This is the only thing in my backyard other than a bunch of hornets :mad:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Blue Train posted:

This is the only thing in my backyard other than a bunch of hornets :mad:

Try hugging it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

its a common ringtailed possum, tail not visible

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Caesar Saladin posted:

its a common ringtailed possum, tail not visible

That possum is certainly much cuter than the ones we have around me. Where is it's beedy little eyes and rat-like tail?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Literally A Person posted:

That possum is certainly much cuter than the ones we have around me. Where is it's beedy little eyes and rat-like tail?

our neighbourhood has some really beefy healthy looking possums. Our magpies are also massive, I think there are some good trees.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Johny-on-the-Spot posted:

dragonflies are extremely cool

i saw this little doodle on my way home from work :3:

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
My back yard is nothing but woods so there is all of that stupid nature poo poo

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

My back yard is nothing but woods so there is all of that stupid nature poo poo

Same.
My wildlife encounters:

-I constantly see idiot deer running through the woods with really jittery legs all the time. There's one male deer that looks like it's gonna develop trophy-tier antlers in a few years, but I rarely see him. Usually its the does flicking their big dumb ears idly as they stare at me with their most likely inbred idiot fawns that all look the same.
And for fun once, I walked up to a girthy elm tree with one of the deer craning their necks up to look at me. I squatted behind the tree and remained perfectly still for several seconds, completely hidden from the deer's view. Then it snorted and ran away like there was a pack of wolves coming for it. They are so, so, goddamn dumb.

-I also saw two(2) raccoons earlier when I went to check up at a moss patch I transplanted around a fern garden. They disappeared into a large stick pile I build up with fallen limbs and twigs. How long have they been there :tinfoil:

-There's also two fatass ground hogs living underneath the end of another stick pile. Sometimes when I go outside I catch a glimpse of one scurrying back into its hole super fast. They don't seem to do much else, though.

-There was a female green orchard weaver spider, Leucauge venusta identifiable via an orange spot on its genitals, making its home above the ferns. It seemed to have moved away, but every time I tried to feed it, it would run up to the entangled insect or grub, tap on it with its legs, then immediately run away. It just didn't want to be fed. I'm trying to help you, just eat that pathetic thing :mad:
Fortunately, most of my donations eventually fell through its webs and got gobbled up by large black ants.

-Also, I think its mate got killed by another spider. One day I saw an olive drab colored spider in its web, just chilling with it and still alive, probably the male wanting to have hot spider sex. The next day, I look up a few feet and saw the same olive spider crunched up and half-shrouded in silk in the web of a different spider with a fat abdomen. What a jabroni.
Their webs also accumulated a lot of junk, from fly carcasses to fallen leaves. Wonder if they care?

-My coneflowers attract pretty little bees. They are a good and cool pairing with my silver mound artemisia. I also remember seeing an enormous black cicada emerge when I did hedge trimming, buzzing loudly and flying away when I disturbed it. I hope it's okay, that thing was dazzling.

-There's also such an impressive amount of robins and bluejays that it's essentially an avian house. Probably because there's a mulberry tree growing in the back, and apparently mulberries are like crack cocaine to them. It also has the side effects of turning their poo poo magenta :whitewater:

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

We're here to make coffee metal. We're here to make everything metal.
hey, living in an apartment is no excuse for not having nature things. I see bunnies and squirrels all the time, and the occasional giant rat

also not an excuse for not having delicious produce. Get a pot, get a plant, get food

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Megabound posted:

A possum, they live in the roof and keep everyone up with their loud and frightful sex having.

That might be nooner.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I had to take care of my down stair neighbors kids because he dead beat son had them out in a car for two hours in the heat because he got kicked out of his baby momma house and his mom wasn't home to let him in that's basically nature

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i no longer have a dog in my apartment

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

not my backyard but a park near my house

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

this guy lives in my yard

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Ralph Hurley posted:

Is that a gopher?

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

That is a gopher. They eat golf balls.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I saw a hummingbird moth the other day, i thought it was a hummingbird at first till I got a closer look. Aptly named I guess.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Sorry about the lame bugs in your backyards, we get chill beetles lining up to come into our apartment.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Megabound posted:

Sorry about the lame bugs in your backyards, we get chill beetles lining up to come into our apartment.

:eyepop: I am a bug lover but if I saw that thing in my house I might just freak the gently caress out.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

:eyepop: I am a bug lover but if I saw that thing in my house I might just freak the gently caress out.

We found it because it was making loud hissing sounds at our cats!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Johny-on-the-Spot posted:

I used to rent a house in the countryside with a pond, and you would get cool looking metallic blue dragonflies and occasionally green ones.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Say Nothing posted:

I used to rent a house in the countryside with a pond, and you would get cool looking metallic blue dragonflies and occasionally green ones.

By us we have mud daubers that have that same color. They're pretty friendly but, I won't lie, I kinda flipped out when the first one I saw showed up. It's a loving 3/4" wasp that is loving blue. What the hell?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nooner posted:

I live in an apartment so I dont have a back yard

I live in an apartment and I do have a back yard :eyepop:

e: There's often rabbits on it I don' thave a picture because rabbits are a) good at hiding and b) right quick when they're not hiding.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Say Nothing posted:

I have blue mud daubers with the exact coloring, except they are parasitic wasps that are probably capturing other insects behind my back to turn into wasp baby factories.

Wasps in general suck and freak me out, man.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

EorayMel posted:

I have blue mud daubers with the exact coloring, except they are parasitic wasps that are probably capturing other insects behind my back to turn into wasp baby factories.

Wasps in general suck and freak me out, man.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Megabound posted:

We found it because it was making loud hissing sounds at our cats!

my cat would murder the gently caress out of that beetle and i wouldn't have even known it was there until i found a beetle carapace in his turds

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

nigga crab pollock posted:

my cat would murder the gently caress out of that beetle and i wouldn't have even known it was there until i found a beetle carapace in his turds

I was surprised one of our cats didn't murder it as the big one tries to take on adult Stone Bush Curlews when we go on walks. They're bigger than him and not afraid to get up in his poo poo.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Out of cat jail, now I can show you guys something I found in my kitchen!

It's a valley mantis!:

It was seriously bustin' moves:

I love summer.

Beta Orbiter
May 27, 2017

Ralph Hurley posted:

When Pick sees her shadow, does that mean six more weeks of sadness?

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

The skunk who burrowed under my garage was run over by a car a couple of weeks ago. Its corpse was removed in a timely fashion so sorry no pics.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Out of cat jail, now I can show you guys something I found in my kitchen!

It's a valley mantis!:

It was seriously bustin' moves:

I love summer.

Don't piss it off. They seek vengeance upon their enemies!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I used to get some pretty big stick insects around my country dwelling.
Not quite this big, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Navin Johnson posted:

Don't piss it off. They seek vengeance upon their enemies!

I'm finding this out. It's just been sitting outside my house giving me the stink-eye and smoking cigarettes. I'm scared and I'm not sure what to do.

• Locked thread