Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
How can anyone have an issue with Raquna, Ontarian Princess, being from Canada? For real though it is one of the things that helps her be the one stand out character of the story party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Black Mage Knight posted:

How can anyone have an issue with Raquna, Ontarian Princess, being from Canada? For real though it is one of the things that helps her be the one stand out character of the story party.

While she's definitely the most interesting character in the story party, that line has a different issue than what you're thinking of.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
It's not an issue with her being Canadian, it's an issue for what that implies about the setting, which we'll get to much later in the game.

Flame
Feb 20, 2016

BY FIRE BE PURGED!
Geez, I've been waiting for U1 LP and I've missed the beginning because of my work. This game is my first EO game, and despite story mode being absolutely horrible (IMO), it got me into the series, so I'm pretty excited to see one of my favorite LPers play through it.
I loved EO2 lp and those characters, gonna start reading this today. It's rainy outside and you just made my day, Ragnar :)

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Master Dude :allears:
Do classic and story really diverge that much?
I'll be honest, I'm not nearly as invested in the story updates as I am in the classic ones. I really read them to see the wonderful consequences of naming the main character Dude.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

quote:

Oh, man! Dude, you're amazing!
Haha, there's no need to be modest. Eat as much as you like!

So he is also named "Dude"? A fine name for the finest of heroes.

I always found it strange that you get a free full heal on the second floor since that one is barely out of town - but it does make it easier to finish the map in one go.
I just wish more guards were as useful as the food soldier...

Flame
Feb 20, 2016

BY FIRE BE PURGED!
Okay, looking at Katya with all her Russian brothers, I'm definitely gonna read her with Russian accent. Which is actually much worse than people think.
And while I'm catching up, I'd say "Dude" is a perfect name. I thought Nameless guild was the best the thread could ever come up with but nooope.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
It's time for a m-m-m-m-mechanics t r i p l e w h a m m y.

Disables.

Algorithms, which doubles as a post explaining the precise effects of each stat.

Grimoire Generation, which *vomiting noises*

I advise that you read all of these--at least just my short notes/takeaways in algorithms/Grimoires.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I just finished the grimoire one. Does anybody have that :psyduck: gif that has his head exploding into many tentacles of twitching psyduck faces? Because I feel like that's incredibly apt here. What were they thinking with this arcane nonsense? Couldn't we just have had a broken, poorly balanced subclass option taped on to the game instead?

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I just finished the grimoire one. Does anybody have that :psyduck: gif that has his head exploding into many tentacles of twitching psyduck faces? Because I feel like that's incredibly apt here. What were they thinking with this arcane nonsense? Couldn't we just have had a broken, poorly balanced subclass option taped on to the game instead?

At one point while I was trying to decipher the formula, I put down "Next, weep softly into a pillow and wish you were dead" and then went to sleep

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Grimoire system was a mistake. Please don't ever return, ever.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

If you thought the math in previous EO games was bad, EOU easily blows those out of the water. Seriously, a lot of that is super convoluted and oh god did the Grimoire system really need to be that ridiculous? :psyboom: Who came up with that monstrosity? When Violently Car finished writing up that formula, I pretty much just went "What the ever loving gently caress am I looking at!?"

Oh and the King Grimoire generation is pretty straight up Pokemon playground rumor bullshit, only it's actually true. There's also something else I want to emphasize about it. If you're wondering how in the world that was found out, someone (Not me or Violently Car) managed to rip the method out of the code... in 2016. 3 whole years after the game was released!

The only hint the playerbase got on that was the dev team posting on the official blog (In Japan) that lining up the numbers on our guild cards would increase the chance of getting one. Which would only give you the 4.096% chance of getting one as only 4 of those stats mattered (No, we weren't told about that either.) A 28.561% chance if you happened to line them up with 7s, which part of the playerbase caught onto. Of course RNG being RNG, some people thought this was just confirmation bias and had no basis (woe to the people that believed that, and tried using other numbers to get King Grimoires.) This was also the only time we were told about King Grimoires, as the game itself never tells you they exist! Oh and those chances weren't pulled out from nowhere. There's actually a formula for it.

(25-X*3)^X/100000

Where X is the number of points you got. Of course EOU just had to indulge in its complexity addiction yet again.

What's worse is that getting all the King Grimoires is required for 100% completion. They genuinely expected players to actually go for them when they really weren't given enough information in the first place. Which led to a lot of agony and complaints about the system. (Even knowing about what makes it tick doesn't make it any better, as it's still really convoluted.)

As for some other comments I want to make...

Sleep is more deadly in this game, since it also causes enemies to have a bias in attacking sleeping party members! Which makes sense at least.

I can't emphasize how bad escaping is in this game. It's probably the worst incarnation of the system in the series. Since turn count is no longer a factor, and the only thing that can raise escape rate is escape attempts, that means if a fight is going south fast and you haven't made any escape attempts previously, you're most likely screwed. But hey, at least solo parties are 5 times more likely to succeed at escaping! :v:

Flame
Feb 20, 2016

BY FIRE BE PURGED!
When I played the game I thought it was just me being new to the series, as it is not straightforward and simple at all. But this is bullshit. I've always hated Grimoire system, never really used them and now there's a proof as to why.
Seriously, what the hell were they thinking?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Flame posted:

When I played the game I thought it was just me being new to the series, as it is not straightforward and simple at all. But this is bullshit. I've always hated Grimoire system, never really used them and now there's a proof as to why.
Seriously, what the hell were they thinking?

They obviously weren't thinking, which is why they came up with this horrible thing.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I don't fault the Grimoire system for having weird, long calcuations internally, honestly. That's stuff that the player doesn't see and really shouldn't care about.

What I do fault it for is including the most random loving factors like highest current HP value of all enemies and enemy levels, stuff the player wouldn't be able to reasonably guess are used at all.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Enemy stats being tied into it was probably intended as a gating mechanism for higher end stones. Maybe. I dunno.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

My biggest gripe with the system was how random it was.

I just can't get the skills I want.

So for example, I want prayer from the protector skill tree, and I don't want to waste all that SP on the prerequisites, but with this random thing I won't really be able to get the skills I want.

Or if I want the wall skills of the Protector so I can give them to someone else, or whatever really.

You don't need the stones to do anything, but if you want to use them, they end up frustrating you, which sucks.

The bigger issue is that the previous two games (3 and 4) had subclasses, which weren't random at all. You needed SP, but at least you got what you wanted. From that to this thing in the remake just... kind of sucked. A lot.

It improved a lot in U2, but that doesn't change the fact it's a real annoyance for anyone trying to make effective use of it.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
You know how the mastery skills helpfully give you a point in all the skills they unlock? Wasn't that a helpful feature?

Well, it turns out it's a double-edged sword! Remember, the more skills you have a point in, the smaller the chance of a grimoire having the skill you want. So now you're generating a load of awful level 1 grimoires that you have no use for, because there's no way to improve the level of a grimoire skill.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.
With all these cryptic formulas, I can't help but feel like the intent was for the system not to be taken advantage of, sort of an anti min-maxer type of thing. In that case though, it'd be the developers saying "have a random couple of skills at random points in time", which isn't necessarily better. Outside of two specific situations in EO2U, I've never particularly cared about getting anything specific out of the grimoire systems, I just took what I got and went with it, mostly to fill in for stuff my party couldn't cover.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
It feels very castlevania design, which I believe was stated to have abysmal drop rates in early ones like SOTN to make each playthrough ~unique~ or whatever despite in practice it basically boils down to hellgrinding

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
While I like the concept, the Grimoire System in this game is so bad that it's honestly offensive. I do wish they'd kept the Fusion aspect for EO2U, though, so you could have an easier time getting certain effects on stones.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 5. End of the stratum. You know what that means...

FENRIR TIME VOTE ON THE PARTY YEAH

Oh yeah Story Update 3's here too.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
Vince, Katya, and Ladette.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Judith, Afon, Momoe

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Vince, Katya, Afon

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Fenrir really got the short end of the stick in this game. Went from a fearsome boss in 1 to... a glorified tutorial for some mechanics you'll barely make use of again. What a way to go.

Might as well put him out of his misery and make his death swift and merciful for him.

Vince, Sigrid, and Katya.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Judith, Afon, Ladette

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Fenrir really got the short end of the stick in this game. Went from a fearsome boss in 1 to... a glorified tutorial for some mechanics you'll barely make use of again. What a way to go.

Might as well put him out of his misery and make his death swift and merciful for him

At least he has a unique appearance now, silly as it is. But yeah, he's one of the bosses you could kill easily and still have issues with some of the FOEs in his same stratum. He is a huge joke.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Sigrid, Elowen, Ladette

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Judith, Vince and Katya

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Ladette, Judith, Elowen

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Why wouldn't the wolf have eyeliner?

Judith, Vince and Katya

Dr. Fetus posted:

It could be worse. He could still look like a tiger.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 26, 2017

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Fenrir looks so much like :byodame:, it's uncanny.

Katya, Sigrid, Ladette

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dr. Fetus posted:

Might as well put him out of his misery and make his death swift and merciful for him.

Vince, Sigrid, and Katya.

I don't want to think too much about it so this will do. Destroy that very weirdly-proportioned, makeup-wearing wolf thing.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Current results:

quote:

Katya: 9
Vince: 7
Ladette: 6
Judith: 6
Sigrid: 5

Afon: 4
Momoe: 2
Elowen: 2
Quixote: 1

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Judith, Katya, Elowen

Seeing that it is missing from both classic and story: Do you plan on getting the treasure in the hidden room southeast of Fenrir's boss chamber in a later update?
Not that it's anything great.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.
Maybe Fenrir just wants to feel pretty, have you ever thought of that?

I'll throw my votes in for Quixote, Afon, and Kataya.

werbear posted:

Seeing that it is missing from both classic and story: Do you plan on getting the treasure in the hidden room southeast of Fenrir's boss chamber in a later update?
Not that it's anything great.

The treasure in the whatnow? There's a hidden chest there? I'm 90% sure I must've missed that in my playthroughs. This was my first EO game that I completed, so I didn't know to be suspicious of empty lots on my map.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Efe posted:

The treasure in the whatnow? There's a hidden chest there?

There are two (almost worthless) chests in that room.

Flame
Feb 20, 2016

BY FIRE BE PURGED!
Katya, Ladette, Momoe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Katya, Sigrid, and Momoe.