Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Crosspeice posted:

I don't wanna think about how many times I've done this fuckin quest throughout both games... it's at least 5.

Five times total or five times each? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

It's better in story mode. It's still unfun, but you get story options that help you fast forward the time and spend time with your team instead.

On story mode:

Basically you get to sleep at night, you get to sleep-in in the mornings, which means you only have to walk from 12pm to 7pm. Just for 7 hours each day, as opposed to 24 hours each day.

It wouldn't surprise me if they kept this quest primarily because of the story mode version. In classic mode, once you realize that you can bypass this quest by waiting in Wyvern's room, it only serves to test your patience rather than your party's endurance.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is there any reason to actually do the five-day trial? Does it lock off the end of the game or something?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Glazius posted:

Is there any reason to actually do the five-day trial? Does it lock off the end of the game or something?

Quest completion.

Also I'm not sure if this applies to this game, but usually quests from the explorers guild are all part of a quest chain.

So you have to do one to unlock more of them.

No quest can stop you from the end of the game, if the end of the game for you is the first time the credits roll.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I have no clue what the actual quest chains in EOU are, beyond the ones that are obviously numbered. I do quests as they pop up so it's never been something I get to observe. :v:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
https://twitter.com/RagnarHomsar/status/957844032448704513

This has little do with EOU beyond explaining why there's been pretty large gaps between updates as of late. Sorry! :v:

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Want to read battle network lp.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I can't believe Bass.EXE is an FOE in the new Etrian Odyssey.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 15.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

The very first Etrian Odyssey's third stratum didn't feel this bad IIRC. Atlus did a bad job adapting it to Untold, I'd say :v:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I actually remember this stratum unlike the eo1 version which is just a blur of using the same skills on a bunch of frogs for 5 floors

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The Treefrogs were the best way to grind in EO1 since they didn't hit hard, and summoned a bunch of easy to kill enemies. It was slow, but EO1 was one of the 2 EO games (the other being EO3) that didn't have a fast grinding method.

Of course on my first playthrough of this game, I rudely found out that the frogs will utterly tear you apart, along with many other of the stratum 3 enemies.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

This stratum. This stratum is evil.

I think I just used binds to make my day, but this stratum was evil, especially on story mode.

It's such a huge difficulty spike.

Also, using debuffs on the ants makes them less threatening.

Why does everything hit so hard? Why are the escape rates trash?

I hate bats. And worms.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

quote:

Fun fact: this line is voiced.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Azure Rainforest is great. Unfortunately it kicks your rear end.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I feel like Etrian Odyssey has the most boring strata in the series. The first area is grass and tress. The second area is grass and tropical trees. The third area is blue trees and water.

Like, I know it's a forest, but jeez.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I feel like Etrian Odyssey has the most boring strata in the series. The first area is grass and tress. The second area is grass and tropical trees. The third area is blue trees and water.

Like, I know it's a forest, but jeez.

I am going to have to disagree heavily on that, and say that EO3 easily takes that title. Pretty much every strata in 3, aside for the 6th one was a fairly generic setting. While EO1/U's 2nd stratum is fairly boring, the 3rd stratum is a nice change in aesthetics, and the other strata have quite a bit that makes them interesting.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 1, 2018

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Welcome to the third stratum. You now remember why you were dragging a Protector around for two stratums.
You also remember that Barrier in EO2U is really, really, really great.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

werbear posted:

Welcome to the third stratum. You now remember why you were dragging a Protector around for two stratums.
You also remember that Barrier in EO2U is really, really, really great.

Words cannot adequately express how much I miss the convenience of Barrier, even if it was an extremely poorly-designed and poorly-balanced skill with very bad effects on EO2U's overall balance. :(

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

The labyrinth certainly does have a bug problem, geez.

Also digging Sigrid's makeover.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.
Ah, the third stratum, easily one of my least favorite stratums in all EO games. Not necessarily because of these enemy combinations or the pitfalls, but mostly because ever since I had a very specific nightmare as a kid, giant ants freak me out on a level I cannot convey with words.

The sooner we get through this stratum, the better :v

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ragnar Homsar posted:

https://twitter.com/RagnarHomsar/status/957844032448704513

This has little do with EOU beyond explaining why there's been pretty large gaps between updates as of late. Sorry! :v:

Finally caught up with this LP again! I'm definitely interested in seeing your take on an MMBN LP.

Quixote remains my favorite. :allears:

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Dr. Fetus posted:

Pretty much every strata in 3, aside for the 6th one was a fairly generic setting.

Considering the second stratum in 3 was you walking on the SEAFLOOR,

Dr. Fetus posted:

I am going to have to disagree heavily on that

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Solumin posted:

Finally caught up with this LP again! I'm definitely interested in seeing your take on an MMBN LP.

You can get a glimpse here. That update's not fully finished yet (still need music and alcharagia and Hivac's commentary), but the bulk of it's there.

The "T" portrait is a placeholder for TollingBells's commentary portrait, a close friend of mine who's never played BN before and is joining the usual three dorks (myself, alcharagia, and Hivac) to provide an outsider's perspective. :v:

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Please tell me you will introduce the series to your friend in reverse order to give the worst story-telling experience :v:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I'm not doing the series. I love Battle Network but I only love BN6 enough to do a 100% LP of it. :v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That's fair, BN6 is the best of the series. It's my personal favourite too, maybe as a whole in the Mega Man franchise, and I can't wait to see it LPed again.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'd say Battle Network 3 is the best, but Battle Network 6 is probably a very close contender for that.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'd say Battle Network 3 is the best, but Battle Network 6 is probably a very close contender for that.

I have serious problems with BN3's progression, the Style system, and flaws with the NaviCust that make it a distant second in my series ranking, tied with BN5.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ragnar Homsar posted:

You can get a glimpse here. That update's not fully finished yet (still need music and alcharagia and Hivac's commentary), but the bulk of it's there.

The "T" portrait is a placeholder for TollingBells's commentary portrait, a close friend of mine who's never played BN before and is joining the usual three dorks (myself, alcharagia, and Hivac) to provide an outsider's perspective. :v:

Now I'm really looking forward to this! BN6 is my favorite for many reasons.

Definitely a good idea to have an outsider's perspective, there's so much poo poo that veterans of the series just ignore because we've seen it all before.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Don't get too excited about BN6 any time soon, I'm working on it in the background when I need to take breaks from EOU or just don't feel like working on it. :v:

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I've only played BN3 - 6.

I liked them all, but I've never 100% any. I just played the plot.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Hello! I have no news about EOU, but I figured this is worth informing everyone of:

It's not live yet, I still have to make sure it made the transition from my special HTML stuff to standard forum format okay. Still!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh dear, ants. I mean, thematically it makes sense that they all team up and stuff but that must be irritating.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Hello! I have no news about EOU, but I figured this is worth informing everyone of:

It's not live yet, I still have to make sure it made the transition from my special HTML stuff to standard forum format okay. Still!

Congrats!

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 16. It's short, but...

We've got a mid-stratum boss to vote on a party for.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Elowen, Sigrid, Quixote.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Elowen, Quixote and Emmett

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

That event with the ants ambushing you, if you didn't attack the ants carrying stuff on the floor above then you just get the materials for free there, IIRC. They sort of imply that in the event text, though.

Let's go Emmett, Thierry, and Vince

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
Elowen, Sigrid, Quixote.