Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Rime posted:

Things have been getting pretty bad worldwide for about 17 years. Some would say that it really started as far back as the 1980's, and has only gained speed since then. I initially started this post with a huge bullet list of everything that's gone wrong in the past 40 years, and especially the past ten, lost it in a browser crash and goddamn it's just too much :effort: to type again.

Shits hosed. You know it, I know it, lets talk about how it's going to play out. So far we're tracking the Roman Republic pretty good, but we've got a lot more crazy technology this time around and our Caesar is a demented oompa-loompa.

Imagine that this is the climate change thread, except rather than moaning about how we're all very much going to die, we're moaning about how the fabric of our entire society is unraveling at the seams.

Good topics:
-> Rise of Authoritarianism in the west.
-> Decline and Vilification of Social Welfare.
-> Formation of international ultra-wealthy elite class with absolutely no geopolitical allegiances.
->Corporate conglomerates with no geopolitical allegiances.
-> Potential Balkanization of the USA & UK along ideological lines, and ramifications thereof.

I'll add more if anyone has suggestions.

Your title mimmics "Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire" and if you want to know how Western Civilization will play out you need to look into the history of the Roman Empire. Right now we're experiencing what the Romans experienced 400-500 years before the sacking of Rome by the Vandals. It's actually quite stunning how much Roman politics and economics directly parallels what we're seeing today.

-> concentration of wealth in few individuals who do not suffer negative consequences for bad economic decisions
--> In Rome, this was the concentration of land holding in a few individuals and the enrichment of the 1% today.
--> Wealthy Romans didn't care that grain harvests were falling, because they still ate well. Today, we have the divergence of Wall St. and Main St economies.

-> preference of the capital class to use non-citizen labour for production
-->Slaves were preferred as labour in Rome, today we use robots and overseas labour.

-> the necessary expansion of the welfare state
-->Bread and Circuses was an economic solution to the economic problem of unemployment. Today we have many welfare programs and GMI experiments.

->The unwillingness of the elite to directly defend the empire.
--> Romans ended up paying mercenaries (like the Vandals) to defend the borders (guess how well that turned out). Today we have Trump et al telling NATO allies they have to increase defence spending to defend American hegemony (guess how well this will turn out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

WampaLord posted:

Oh, yea, it owns being poor. I'm just loving living it up on my many welfare programs and GMI experiments!

What the gently caress is context?

Welfare is an economic solution to an economic problem, just like Bread and Circuses was. Roman citizens were unemployable because slaves were available and didn't have those pesky rights that Roman citizens had. Hungry people with nothing to do tend to riot, so the Romans came up with a solution. Today we have the same situation where an increasing amount of our unemployment rate is attributable to automation and low wage labor overseas. Welfare is the solution to this problem, and with the problem only growing, GMI is now being experimented with.

I don't know how the gently caress you got that I was somehow attacking welfare.

You could have provided examples of what you meant from American history, and elaborated on your other points instead of just saying "you're wrong", but you didn't.

• Locked thread