Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I think there are a lot of things at play, but overall the world continues to improve.

I will say that extreme levels of rising inequality and stagnation in quality of life for the majority leaves people with simmering resentment which often channels into blaming the 'other'. The alt right is certainly right about one thing which is that a very contented status quo of socially liberal but economically pro-free market politicians and leaders have with one hand lined their pockets and with the other have pushed down and silenced a racist and poverty stricken underclass who have now had a backlash in elections.

I can't speak for the US, but in the UK the Brexit vote was certainly influenced by a sense of a cosmopolitan and wealthy city being the only thing that mattered in the country. Nobody outside of London, other than university town pockets, was truly engaged by the EU agenda. Nobody loved the EU ever. It was either passive tolerance or active dislike. The fact that it came as a massive surprise just reinforced how clearly out of touch the media and politicians were with the rest of the country.

I'm not totally despairing of the future, but I hope we relearn for the fiftieth time that you can't smother an idea in silence, you need to engage with hateful ideology and humanise what they are against. Oh, and you need to tackle inequality and use tax money to promote social cohesion. Unhappy people are angry people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Sneakster posted:

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. You simultaneously ignore Trumps support is the upper class, say that politicians have betrayed the poor, and I'm willing to bet two more sentences and you'd say poor people are voting against their own interests if they don't vote for democrats who's only accomplishments post-LBJ has been slashing welfare and a medicaid expansion that was coincidental to robbing the middle class on behalf of capitalist interests. You have this mind numbing over simplification to the point of non-nonsensical of racism being the primary driver of people in ethnically homogeneous states, even when breaking hard for an actual leftwing choice for the first time in a generation and giving up after the choice got reduced to a racist republican lying about supporting social programs and a democrat lying about social programs who was willing to pander to the same homophobic and racism, border wall and everything, who's literally an extension of the administration that dismantled welfare.

If you don't come from money, roughly 18-24 and having gotten into a good college after having good preparation in high-school, any expectation of gainful employment is basically a fantasy. These people voted for the left when it had a chance and the left did everything it could to sabotage the choice after stomping on them and the only choice left was a criminal willing to pander and a criminal who already hosed them over while pissing on them.

The problem is capitalism, racism is a symptom. The bourgeois never hesitated to hire to the klan to strike break anyone that started noticing the capitalist class is a mutual enemy, and even now, as shown in the incoherence of your argument, will exploit racism to defend capitalism.

Nice meltdown, and also reading comprehension if you believe that post somehow was pro-Democrat or capitalism. drat these "non-nonsensical" DnD posters. I can't even follow this rambling screed.

• Locked thread