Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
Hi there,

I am writing for a little bit of advice regarding a job offer I recently received. First, a little background:

I am a Senior UX designer that's been working in NYC for about 4 years now as a contract-to-contract freelancer. I have been interviewing for a new full-time position seriously for the past few weeks after my last contract ended. Recently, I interviewed with two companies, Company A and Company B. Company A is a consultancy of about 40 employees that provides services for major banks and FinTech companies. Company B is a startup that just closed a Series B funding round with about 55 employees -- they're looking to hire and expand very quickly though.

After two or three weeks of interviewing, Company A made me an offer, which I verbally accepted. They then sent a Hiring Agreement that was unduly burdensome and included an unenforceable Non-Compete Clause, as well as Non-Solicit, Presumption of Invention, and Non-Disparagement clauses (i.e. I can't be hired by competitors, talk bad about the company, or make any new products in the same sector for 6 months without claiming it's the company's).

After I balked at the offer, they revised it, cut out the non-compete clause, and then shortened the terms of my non-solicit and presumption of invention clauses. That said I am still spooked by the company; Glassdoor seems to show that the consultancy founder is prone to suing based on the terms of the non-compete and the reviews are either really good or really bad, which suggests astroturfed reviews.

Soon after that, I interviewed for Company B. I really like the culture and they really seem to think that I might be a good fit for the business. Because they are expanding, the pay is comparable and the benefits are as good (if not better) than Company A's. That said I still have to go through another interview before they even consider an offer and Company A wants a reply before End of Business Monday.

Many of my friends are suggesting that I take the offer and then break the agreement if the startup makes me a better one. That said my attorney has advised that I -- above all else -- DO NOT break the agreement.

Does anyone have any advice?

TL, DR: I got a lucrative job offer from a company that followed up with a shady hiring agreement. They changed it, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't have a job offer from another company I interviewed at, but I feel better about it than I do the first company. The first company wants an answer by Monday. What do I do?

Gray Ghost fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minus Pants
Jul 18, 2004
Tell Company A you need more time to make a decision, and you'll get back to them in X days. As long as that other interview is scheduled in a few days, maybe a week at most, they shouldn't care. If they do, it's just another sign that their management practices are lovely, and you should avoid them.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

How much time have you had to review the legal stuff? If it's as little as it sounds like, I'd probably ask for X days to review with your Uncle Phil or someone who just happens to be a lawyer.

Then go to B and tell them they have X-1 days to get you in for a final round.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
Thanks for the replies on this. They wanted an immediate answer and I had to reject the offer. That said I had a really great final round interview with Company B and the founder said we would be in touch. Fingers crossed!

• Locked thread