Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thin Privilege posted:

here's kitty, my leader cat, chillin in the window

Black or tortie? Little hard to tell. Either way what a cutey :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Pollyanna posted:

Black or tortie? Little hard to tell. Either way what a cutey :neckbeard:

Tortie. With Tortitude.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Today's update:

I let him explore the living room today with Kitty there too. I accidentally/stupidly left the room to give tuna to the other cats in the other room and walked out to find Chester and Kitty next to each other outside the door, wanting tuna (they got tuna). No hissing or attacking. Is good.

He eventually freaked out from being in the new place (hissing at me, growling, screaming) but luckily he is getting a hang of the place and eventually ran to his safe room (bathroom). No problem regarding/involving Kitty. I let him chill out for 15 min or so and went in there and he was rubbing on me and being loving. Poor guy is so confused about the new environment. He's even still kind of confused about his own room.

He's very feral, he's been outside a really long time. I know I said this already but yeah.

I petted one cat and let him sniff my hand afterwards and he was all *very angry meow* and gently bit/smacked my hand, he sorta realized it's not another cat but didn't 100% realize it. I put my hand to my face to show him it's me and he sorta got the picture. I don't think he is very familiar with how humans look. Again, feral and hasn't been around humans very much.

I put cat treats in the hand that had petted the other cat and had her smell on it and he ate out of my hand. I swear they put cocaine or something in those treats. e: it's Purina whisker likin' chicken and seafood flavor.

He has ENORMOUS paws, despite being tiny. I'll take a picture soon, I'm not near a camera right now.

First time dealing with a very feral cat (my other one was way different and I guess you can say easy). I'm leaning a lot.

e: in case you're wondering they're not just eating tuna and treats, they get the very fancy and expensive cat food and the other former-feral cat gets prescription food. I give them the tuna/treats to entice them etc.

e2: he's getting better at recognizing that his name is Chester. A good Chest. treasure Chest that contains a good catte

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 9, 2017

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Pics this time!

He does this "disinterested" look a lot.

TASTY HAND

Here is one of the 2 sisters who I swear are his cousins (the other one is the calico I posted before). She is tiny like Chester and does the same behaviors that the other cats don't do (flattening like a pancake while happily laying down, love bites--though I don't allow it when it gets to too much excitement).

He's for sure learned "hungry" "canned" (canned food) and I'd say 85-90% learned his name.

You can see that the collar impression is still there in his fur/neck.

They're currently eating together with the door open to his room/rest of house, no hissing or growling.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 11, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Flattening like a pancake is what our previously feral cat does too.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Chester the Bester :swoon:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
OH and I work in that area so I was driving through there and saw a random cat bolt across the street. There's a lot of wild cats in that area now that I think about it. :/ :(

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
This cat is the best cat! Thank you for taking him in and sharing his story with us. He's SO pretty...and reminds me a little of my tiny shy cat (who was never feral but adopted as a kitten by a sweet little old lady who sadly died this year). He's so beautiful!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Maggie Fletcher posted:

This cat is the best cat! Thank you for taking him in and sharing his story with us. He's SO pretty...and reminds me a little of my tiny shy cat (who was never feral but adopted as a kitten by a sweet little old lady who sadly died this year). He's so beautiful!

I'm gonna try to post as many pics as possible.

None of Chester right now but here's the cat that really doesn't like him (but has gotten better at tolerating him! No more screaming angrily!): Butters in a Box

E: I kind of think he may have been part of a catch-and-release neuter thing but who knows. It's super weird that that neighborhood has so many wild cats.

Also, I don't have a billion cats, I'm only a partially crazy cat lady. With Chester I am at 6, but I used to have 7. My ex husband took 2 of them. It might sound like a lot but honestly it's really easy to take care of them once you're past 3 cats. It's all the same. You develop a system and it's all good. And giant cat condos and hidey holes are a must. The vet says they're great and well taken care of so it's all good.

E2: here's Butters and his boyfriend Fluffy (I swear to god they are gay, which is totally cool w me). Fluffy is the former feral, he has genetic gum/tooth disease so he needs a cleaning every year and care at home (ie teeth cleaning), and he also developed kidney problems but is on prescription food and now his kidney stats are fine.

God I write so many words sorry.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 12, 2017

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Are there notches in his ear? Some places notch ears to mark previously neutered TnR ferals.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

GoingPostal posted:

Are there notches in his ear? Some places notch ears to mark previously neutered TnR ferals.

He doesn't but the closest shelter (it's actually a VERY good shelter) I am pretty sure they don't do that just because of how they treat animals. I won't talk about it for information:discovery where I am reasons. But it's a special shelter that's different from others.

Another :words:

He drinks a TON. I'm assuming because the neighborhood he was in, I 100% doubt there was any clean water.

He had a hard night today with being in the room with other cats (in his carrier for protection) but I brought some cats up to see him. I get like it was good but he started to get stressed out so I brought him back to his room (of course carrier open). He got wet food and treats. He doesn't want pets and had a happy flipping tail a few minutes ago but now has a stressed one so I'm going to leave him alone to sleep it off. Cat naps <3

Poor little guy.

I talked to him and told him I love him and would never hurt him. He couldn't (and knew) he couldn't get up to the sink. It's so sad that he had a gimpy leg that I know was from an injury--a bad one. I also just saw a big scar on his ear.

For him I'm 100% sure that he is very upset from having a huge open space for 3 years to being in a tiny bathroom to being outside.

Anyways I'm going to bed and he desperately needs a cat sleep.

E: literally as I posted the last word he went to his carrier/ shelter. Perhaps he can read my mind. Cats who choose you.... weirdness. Scary in a good way. CATS.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Sep 14, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

You are a cat lady but there's nothing wrong with that imo. Cats rock.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

You are a cat lady but there's nothing wrong with that imo. Cats rock.

*CRAZY cat lady

E:when I was in Hawaii I had a bunch of random cats come to chill with me, but not other people. The wild chickens didn't like me though (but I got a chicken stuffed animal so it's all good).

E2: ok freaky. I was talking to him a whole lot about the other cats and important stuff and then I said, "you understand what I'm saying don't you" and he did a low, different meow and closed his eyes (means he knows me and trusts me). Really weird. It's a good thing though cause I can explain stuff to him! Yay :glomp:

But yeah. Definitely a cat lady.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 15, 2017

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Just let him explore the place again. Already acting like a cat. Scratching the rug, jumping on the sofa, being a jerk. What a good cat :3:

He really meows a lot. :3: :3: :3:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
OMG His first "chill in random places." Just like baby's first steps.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

OMG His first "chill in random places." Just like baby's first steps.

He has the most beautiful eyes!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Looks just like the kitty we knocked out of a tree when I was in 10th grade or something. She still lives with my dad and is basically his wife now. She meows at him and bites his leg if she wants to go lay down and he doesn't come with her.

Violent Kitten
Dec 26, 2011

Dearmad bhean
an ti ag an gcat.
I got adopted by a semi-feral cat with a collar on it several years ago. The cat was a skinny bag of bones, the collar was old and it became obvious with his reaction to normal household routines and noises, that he hadn't been looked after by anyone for ages.

I doubt you've 'stolen' that cat from anyone.

Congrats on getting a tabby, he's got lovely big expressive eyes.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Hey sorry for lack of updates. I've been letting him explore the main room, he was pretty scared at first but today he was jumping with happiness! Yay! He is so excited :3: he's meowing with happiness :3: :3: he's the meowiest cat in the world.

He's real bad with other cats and I am sure it's because being on the streets he encountered and had to fight a lot of cats. He is cool with my leader cat and he didn't freak out when another cat was chillin in the room. So we're making some progress.

It's definitely going to take a lot of time for him to be ok with the others but there's just been normal hissing with all except one who hates him still.

Some pics: like I said his leg is gimpy so it's hard for him to jump on stuff so here's him looking proud, as well as meowing with pride. The shelf to the right is my highest bookshelf, I'm not sure he'll be able to make it but we'll see. (And don't worry about the guitars, they're cat-proofed)

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Update: he started to get freaked out from the smell of the other cats but I showed him a can of food and got him to his safe room. VERY IMPORTANT: Kitty also likes canned food and they both ran together towards his room, no fight, and she smelled his butt. He didn't do any feral behaviors this time. Super yay!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Looks just like the kitty we knocked out of a tree when I was in 10th grade or something. She still lives with my dad and is basically his wife now. She meows at him and bites his leg if she wants to go lay down and he doesn't come with her.

That's a good cat.

Violent Kitten posted:

I got adopted by a semi-feral cat with a collar on it several years ago. The cat was a skinny bag of bones, the collar was old and it became obvious with his reaction to normal household routines and noises, that he hadn't been looked after by anyone for ages.

I doubt you've 'stolen' that cat from anyone.

Congrats on getting a tabby, he's got lovely big expressive eyes.

Thank you <3 he does have ENORMOUS eyes and paws, his paws are way too big for his body. I might have said this before but it's very true regardless.

E: OMG. I just got Fluffy (who isn't bothered by Chesty) and FREAKING BUTTERS (the cat who hates Chesty) to COME INTO CHESTERS ROOM TO GET THE REST OF THE CAMNED FOOD AND CHESTER JUST CHILLED ON TOP OF HIS CARRIER AND GHERE WAS NO HISSING OR GROWLING FROM ANYONE holy poo poo this is gonna work you guys!!!!!!!! I just petted Chesty with the hand I petted butters with and he's ok!

and gently caress yeah for Fancy Feast turkey&giblets feast and the tender chicken&liver feast canned food.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 21, 2017

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
:catstare: Hello I enjoy IKEA couches and lamps and therefore will model for them

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Please keep the pictures comin'. I love his big starey eyes and his big ol' mustache upper lip. Congrats on the progress!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
He's starting to understand that my house is a safe place and that the other cats (except rear end in a top hat Butters who keeps being a dick) are cool and won't hurt him. So far he's got 2 friends and I'm working on a third, who likes his smell but is a little scared, but she's a very emotional cat so I understand.

As said, he feels safe so here's some more "chillin in random places"

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Please keep the pictures comin'. I love his big starey eyes and his big ol' mustache upper lip. Congrats on the progress!

Got ya one!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Minor update! Chester was getting a little stressed being around all the other cats so I was trying to give him some canned food but it ended up that all the cats came running, including Butters, and they were all next to each other and no hissing or anything! They all got canned food as a reward :3:

Again:
-fancy feast turkey & giblets feast and fancy feast liver & chicken feast (both canned)
-purina whicker lickin's "chicken&seafood flavors" treats
Are amazing and will make your cats go nuts, I swear they put cocaine in them or something

**though obviously do NOT use this as your cats primary food, this is for treats and motivation. Read cat nutrition thread for real advice.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
God, he is such an adorable cat. I can't get over that face.

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge
Just wanted to say you and your new cat are awesome.

Many years ago I adopted what I thought was a "kitten".

The shelter was going to put her down because of antisocial behavior.

Anwyays, turns out she was between 3-5 years old, real tiny from malnourishment and having litters early.

She's a little bitey (only with me, very gentle with my husband) and very loud, but she sneaks into bed and sleeps on my stomach every night. :3:

Image above is her now at 13-15 (?) - she's getting happier and more social every day so keep at it.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

lizard_phunk posted:

Just wanted to say you and your new cat are awesome.

Many years ago I adopted what I thought was a "kitten".

The shelter was going to put her down because of antisocial behavior.

Anwyays, turns out she was between 3-5 years old, real tiny from malnourishment and having litters early.

She's a little bitey (only with me, very gentle with my husband) and very loud, but she sneaks into bed and sleeps on my stomach every night. :3:

Image above is her now at 13-15 (?) - she's getting happier and more social every day so keep at it.

SO ADORABLE AND FLUFFY AND WITH BIG EYES :swoon: I love when cats get giant pupils :3:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
The little dude apparently has some blue in his eyes, maybe that's why they're so mesmerizing. (Also note his ENORMOUS PAWS)

This one is just silly

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
This guy has never (or extremely rarely) been in a house. I was cleaning some stuff up/moving stuff around and he was so confused. My other cats LOVE when I move stuff around. It wasn't big stuff either, just some books and papers. It also reminds me of how he never saw his reflection before and was confused the reflection on my computer monitor and then the mirror.

Seriously poor little guy. Maybe it was like, put a collar on him and feed him outside on a paper plate and the collar on him is cause HES MINE. And no I won't fix his messed up gimpy leg. gently caress whoever made him an outdoor cat.

Today we had a session with Butters (who hates him) but in this session it seemed like Butters really liked him and wanted a friend. It's definitely good I've been letting Chesty out to put his fur and smell everywhere (no spraying).

I'm learning so much.

He's scared of the house and always meows at me like for protection, again I think it's because he's never legitimately been in a house.

Here's a pic. The bathroom is still his safe house. I've learned it can take many months to get him acclimated and I am ok with that. Currently he rubbed against my foot and is now laying on top of his cave flipping his tail happily.

A pic where he wants to paw pet and meow

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
This is a very odd interpretation of a cat loaf. It's all flattened. Perhaps it was not proofed enough. Also imagine the tail flipping around. A good catte :3:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Today was the first day where he acted like a house cat (read: being a jerk). Now I have to start to teach him "no" and stuff. It makes me happy that he's so comfortable to start to do house cat behaviors :3:

It's going a little too fast now, so I'm gonna step back a bit. He can't think he owns the place, because that's how he's starting to act. He's even being a little jerk to me, like he owns me. No, not gonna happen, little jerkface :swoon:

So yeah, it's time to lean a firm "no" with pointy finger.

Sad side note: one of my coworkers saw some scratches Chester gave me and was like, "if he hits you again I'm coming over and beating his rear end" and then another coworker started talking about how you have to hit cats to get them to obey or something, and how the first guy's dog bit them (they trained the dog to attack people and it's a pit bull) and he starved them for 3 days because of it. My god. I tried to explain how you don't have to do that but it was completely ignored. Like, they drowned me out. :(

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 4, 2017

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Omg he just played the "show stomach and kick with back legs on your hand" game with me!

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Chestermania will live forever!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

CoolCat posted:

Chestermania will live forever!

:getin:

-----------------

He's so happy in his cube. Look at that smile!!!!!!!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Thin Privilege posted:

Sad side note: one of my coworkers saw some scratches Chester gave me and was like, "if he hits you again I'm coming over and beating his rear end" and then another coworker started talking about how you have to hit cats to get them to obey or something, and how the first guy's dog bit them (they trained the dog to attack people and it's a pit bull) and he starved them for 3 days because of it. My god. I tried to explain how you don't have to do that but it was completely ignored. Like, they drowned me out. :(

Like, what the gently caress?

I mean, I know these guys don't even catte (it's pretty clear they don't catte) and I know you tried, but for gently caress's sake - abusing animals is not the answer.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Go Chester, go! Keep doing good cat stuff.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Oh my god you guys, he's playing! He found some random stuff and was doing the silly "bite and roll on your back with item" game. He's getting super comfortable with this place now.

Still working on cat introductions, will update when there's news.

Sorry for no pic, I'm on an old iPad which has a lovely camera with no flash.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

LuiCypher posted:

Like, what the gently caress?

I mean, I know these guys don't even catte (it's pretty clear they don't catte) and I know you tried, but for gently caress's sake - abusing animals is not the answer.

I really don't understand people who hit animals (or kids for that matter) as a way to teach them / discipline them. There are other ways and THEY WORK. For example, my "bad [cat name]" and finger point gets the point across that they shouldn't be doing the thing (like chewing on a cable, but none of them do that because they know they can't, all I did was say "cable is bad"). Tone of voice is SO important. They're not stupid. They get it. You don't need to hit them. E: I did spray the poo poo out of the cable coming out of the wall when I got cable internet with bitter apple spray, just as a pr caution because it's right at cat chew height. No problems for 2 years.

A weird thing I learned yesterday was that watching trash tv makes Chester really nervous. Maury, Jerry Springer, and the like. It's obviously because it's people yelling and screaming. More proof that he came from a horrible place :(

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Thin Privilege posted:

I really don't understand people who hit animals (or kids for that matter) as a way to teach them / discipline them. There are other ways and THEY WORK. For example, my "bad [cat name]" and finger point gets the point across that they shouldn't be doing the thing (like chewing on a cable, but none of them do that because they know they can't, all I did was say "cable is bad"). Tone of voice is SO important. They're not stupid. They get it. You don't need to hit them. E: I did spray the poo poo out of the cable coming out of the wall when I got cable internet with bitter apple spray, just as a pr caution because it's right at cat chew height. No problems for 2 years.

A weird thing I learned yesterday was that watching trash tv makes Chester really nervous. Maury, Jerry Springer, and the like. It's obviously because it's people yelling and screaming. More proof that he came from a horrible place :(

My cats are all broken...every single one of them LOVE bitter apple spray.

It just got to the point where all our wires (99%) are in those corrugated plastic covers to keep kitty teeth off them. I keep telling them that they are not supposed to like it, but I think they see it as a condiment or extra dash of spice to their snack of cables :(

• Locked thread