Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Even though the reception was lukewarm, I loved all things SR and 2 hours in, I'm not disappointed one bit. It's a nice break from all the great but "serious" games recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I was looking through the mixed reviews on metacritic and the majority of them are basically 'well it's not saints row'.

I mean believe me I want a SR5 but the game deserves a fair shake and again, it's fun.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
so I was skeptical, but since people are playing it care to say what it is? Is it a borderlands kind of thing? Will you have to 'grind' to have 'fun'?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Doorknob Slobber posted:

so I was skeptical, but since people are playing it care to say what it is? Is it a borderlands kind of thing? Will you have to 'grind' to have 'fun'?

No. So far the only things you gather materials for are, as a previous poster said, the consumables that seem more like an extra supplement in battles than anything else. I haven't played much of Borderlands, but from what I can tell the only similarity is that damage numbers pop up when you shoot enemies.

It's kind of hard to compare it directly to another game because it's something that hasn't been done before precisely this way, at least not among the games I've been exposed to. The open world portion feels very much like the post-Saints Row 2 entries in the Saints Row series. I'm running/driving around blowing things up, doing activities and missions, getting collectibles, capturing enemy points, and even buying some property to get an income. If I was doing all of this with a single player created character instead of a rotatable roster of characters with different powers it would essentially be Saints Row 5.

The story has basically replaced the gang war plot of Saints Row 2 and especially 3 with a GI-Joe vs Cobra plot.

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

Viridiant posted:

No. So far the only things you gather materials for are, as a previous poster said, the consumables that seem more like an extra supplement in battles than anything else. I haven't played much of Borderlands, but from what I can tell the only similarity is that damage numbers pop up when you shoot enemies.

It's especially worth noting that, instead of showering you with lovely random drops, you get one new gadget for each character you bring on a mission at the end of the mission. Gadgets just tweak the character a little and are more horizontal progression (unlocking different options) than vertical progression (unlocking more powerful options). Many of the gadgets seem to have both a bonus and a penalty associated with using them.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I can't wait for the inevitable post-mortem tell-alls explaining how this trainwreck came to be, I just hope it doesn't kill Volition in the process.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
So far, I've gotten a team of Agents up to about Level 8 and the Agency level to 7. I've got an income now, which I can boost by capturing certain locations in the city.

While driving from place to place, I've found a few random activities. There's destroying enemy vehicles, rescuing hostages, acquiring civilian vehicles and driving them to a drop-off, checkpoint races(on foot or in a vehicle), and collectibles such as supply chests containing cash and crafting materials or crystal shards which unlock permanent upgrades for your Agents.

I've kind of specced my current team for movement powers. Fortune debuffs enemies by dashing past them. Hardtack buffs himself when he dashes. I just need to save up some more shards so I can give Rama the ability to drop a Damage over Time when she activates her stealth.

The games was recommending Difficulty Level 3 for the past few missions, now it seems to be recommending Level 5. I'll give it a go, and lower it if I'm finding it too hard. It looks like some optional missions actually have default Difficulty Levels, so you can't make them easier. I guess I will just have to get better at this game.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Hollywood trying to speak cop to Gat was great. I laughed. Also I really like that teammates call out if to switch to them if they're strong against armor/shields/whatever because I'm not memorizing that.

It's weird that pedestrian dialogue is so quiet, because your guys in the Ark and henchmen in bases and stuff sound just fine?

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 16, 2017

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah it seems like a bad audio mixing error.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

I can't wait for the inevitable post-mortem tell-alls explaining how this trainwreck came to be, I just hope it doesn't kill Volition in the process.
Why the gently caress are people acting like this ? It is nothing like a trainwreck... the first couple hours have been really fun and the game seems quite polished to me.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game not having multiplayer is ridiculous.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I'm pretty sure I just cleared one of the dungeon things with a single Rama mayhem. People just kept filing into a corridor of poison gas and exploding leaving more poison gas to explode more people.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mans posted:

This game not having multiplayer is ridiculous.

I disagree. I'd rather they not tack on something they don't want to.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I think multiplayer would've been really fun in this game but I don't think it not being in detracts from the experience.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah it seems like a bad audio mixing error.

Oh yeah, I've got blood-curdling screams from pedestrians about to be pancaked or having poo poo blow up near them that are juuust audible if I turn my amp to 'gently caress you, neighbors'
Otherwise, 4 hours in this is a really good and fun game so far and I'm not sure what all the crying was/is about.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Johnny Gat as a meter maid :allears:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
While I'm early in and having an overall nice time so far, outside of industry standard bugs like "Looks like the last enemy fell into the geometry! spam AoEs and hope for the bst" (It gave me the option of wall piercing X-ray rounds for Braddock AFTER that mission), there is one particular thing that's very painful and the usual cause of my near party wipes.

Holy loving poo poo, civilian cars are goddamned brutal, merciless, and in infinite supply if you step food onto the road during a firefight. It's like the pent up rage from generations of pedestrian drivers in criminal sandbox games given form.

EDIT: Even calling in your own car is an adventure. "Oh poo poo, a car deliberately swerved in front of my car's arrival point! again" and your car's arrival slams another car into your face. etc.

Viridiant posted:

The story has basically replaced the gang war plot of Saints Row 2 and especially 3 with a GI-Joe vs Cobra plot.
:3:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 16, 2017

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Oh man, this was on my radar a while back and then didn't hear much until the release today. I honestly wasn't expecting much, but the game play is fun as hell. Haven't really dug into the open world stuff, feels kind of off to the side, especially since you can launch missions from the base. I like how the humor is pretty subdued/subtle compared to SR, where it's all in your face up front. If anyone is on the fence it's a solid game if you liked the SR games previously.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I've put a decent couple of hours into it, and I'm having fun enough to justify the pre-order. There are a lot of repetitive elements, but the personality of the universe goes a long way to keep you involved. I can't say that the vibe will work for everyone, but I'm enjoying collecting my action figures and smashing them together into different teams.

That being said, holy gently caress are the fracking side missions annoying, especially when you're trying to do other stuff. It screws up the pedestrian traffic and causes a bunch of infinitely spawning timed explosions to follow you around and it is the worst loving thing when you are trying to complete a non-related mission. Something there needs to be tweaked, like ASAFP.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The animated cutscenes are really well done.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Mokinokaro posted:

The reviews aren't really poor. It's getting most average to good (but not great)

Gamespot just gave it a 4/10. 7/10 is a bad game these days.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Gamespot is not the only site that reviews games.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Hey guys, remember the Bloodsucker Pack?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

That review is pretty amazing. Aside from MAYBE Duke Nukem Forever I can't really imagine getting angry enough at a game's writing to rate it a 4/10 (on a critic's scale of 'anything below 70 is utter dogshit'). Did Saint's Row-style humor kill his parents or something? Because if you take out the three loving paragraphs about how much he hates the writing it's a pretty standard 70-point review.

Edit: Gamespot gave Halo 5 a loving 80 and ME:A a 70. But yeah, this game deserves an effective 1-star review for bad writing.

VV: I do think sub-70 is the standard code for 'avoid avoid avoid', but the professional review scene is so hosed up at this point I don't think it really matters at all. I'd LOVE IT if big reviewers would straight-up ditch the Gentleman's Cs/Legacy Admission grading and use a full 1-10 scale, but doing it selectively for some titles and not others is a pretty hilarious double-standard.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 16, 2017

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
This is the dev team that gave us the dildo bat after all. He should count himself lucky.

E: Mostly Positive reviews on steam and the metacritic score has gone from 68 to 72. At what arbitrary metacritic review score can this be considered 'not a trainwreck'?

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 16, 2017

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

A. Beaverhausen posted:

This is the dev team that gave us the dildo bat after all.

Yeah, I'm not surprised the game's unfunny then.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah, I'm not surprised the game's unfunny then.

The dildo bat was the best, sorry you're dead inside.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I know people, close friends, who don't want to play this because it's not a real brand new Saints Row game. Why....are people like this... :psyduck:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Cargo cult of Saints Row 2. Anything that's not SR2 is dismissed as lesser.

As someone who played Saints Row 3, then 2, then 4, I have to say SR3 is perfectly good as a game on its own, and SR4 is so different from the others it might as well be a superhero game instead of a GTA-inspired game. The goons are telling me this game is fun and the characters have funny dialogue and good quips, so... I was on the fence but now I'm convinced I'm getting this as soon as I can scrounge together the cash and finish my exams.

It's not gonna be Saints Row but it's gonna be Agents of Mayhem and I'll judge it on its own merits.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I know people, close friends, who don't want to play this because it's not a real brand new Saints Row game. Why....are people like this... :psyduck:

I wish I knew myself. Most of the complaints I see seem to be generic "I don't like it because I don't like it". You'd figure at LEAST there would be more complaints that Street Racing minigames are still 90% a battle with the physics engine teaming up with Murphy's law, civilian scripting, and buggy checkpoints to bring an example of something honestly annoying.

I'm still having fun despite swearing at Pierce's latest violation of space and time in order to trap themselves on a bike rack, but no, they are instead upset to learn that clown dicks are just normal person dicks.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I will never say that this is a bad game, but there are things that separate it from a game I like.

- In saint rows 2 you could punch a guy unconscient, then go AFK over a rock. Emergency services will come to help the unconscient guy, but kill another guy accidentally, then the police will come and will kill the medivec, but one of them will run over, leaving a pistol behind, then a random civilian will take that pistol and kill the other cop, take the cop car and flee. Here in AgoM you hit a pedestrian, he say something silenty, and continue. The world is mostly dead, except trafic.
- The base have some gloom turned to 11. I like textures and geometry more than the cheap glow effect of gloom.
- The weapons all feel like peashooters with different level of effectiveness. Just play a game like Fortnite or Destiny and compare the feeling of weapons there with the ones here.
- The dialogs are in english and the subtitles are white text over white backgrounds. I probably just failed to heard/read most jokes.
- I have always hated the announcer voice on the base. The accent is so silly.

Things I like:
- The design of the world is fantastic. It have many incredible places. The best rendition to the theme "future city" that I have seen in a long time.

So basically my problem of the game is that is not a sandbox outside of combat. The world is dead. Then that the game have poor subtitles text and is not translated.

Tei fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 16, 2017

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

things that also have poor subtitles text and is not translated:

your post

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

This isn't hard? Too much stuff to play/do, not enough time - they'd figure an actual Saints Row game would be worth their time and this isn't what they're looking for.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Each time a bad game sells because his name and not his quality, theres a good game with quality that don't sell. The idea of "brands" is harmfull for videogames.

Tei fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Aug 16, 2017

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

orcane posted:

This isn't hard? Too much stuff to play/do, not enough time - they'd figure an actual Saints Row game would be worth their time and this isn't what they're looking for.

Yeah I can feel this, there's a lot of cool-to-good stuff coming out now or soon and I don't feel like spending all of my money on video games so I'm trying not to buy stuff I'm not completely interested in

That being said this game does look pretty fun, I might grab it if there's a sale eventually but I'll definitely keep up with it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

Each time a bad game sells because his name and not his quality, theres a good game with quality that don't sell. The idea of "brands" is harmfull for videogames.

Not really. Buying video games is not a zero sum game and nothing indicates someone who buys a game for being part of a franchise would be spending it on better but less popular games if the franchise didn't exist.

The brands help people who lack the time or interest to go check out reviews, videos etc. to pick things that are similar to other things they've liked in the past. If they didn't stick to brands they might actually buy even worse games or none at all. You can't be sure they would be improving the situation of good games that didn't sell.

If someone liked SR2-4, and would be looking forward to another SR game, they're not skipping Agents just because it's not Saints Row. It's because they like Saints Row games and there's not enough of that in Agents judging by the pre-release marketing and current reviews.

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Aug 16, 2017

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Wow a lot of babies can't stand not having co op

I can understand how something requiring friends might not be useful to you. :iceburn:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Friendship ended with D-Horse. Not-K.I.T.T. is new best friend.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

What heroes do people recommend to hire first?

I guess I will end hiring all, but I want to know what are the interesting ones.

I hired Rama and is a good character. Is not here to fucks around, but have a very defined agenda.

Then I hired a gangsta guy with music powers. I slotted him to replace mr. hollywood. I kind of like how effective is mr-gangsta SMG.

I am a bit confused how are we supposed to play this game. Do we hire the heroes first, then we do the story? the way the UI is presented hiring heroes seems to be optional part of the game, and thats weird. Maybe if we do the story we will hire all the heroes anyway, and by rushing to hire the heroes that seems more interest we may be breaking the story of the game.

Another thing that confuse me is the ..leveling pace?. Apparently I can cause chaos in a corner in the world, then kill everything the game sent against me, and gain a few levels. I could probably gain 5 levels by doing this 2 or 3 times.
Is this going to make me overleveled for the content?

I have the feeling that maybe I should be playing at a higher difficulty level, because I can do this and I suck at videogames, but the rewards are already pretty fat so I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm enjoying myself and the premise is goofy and solid.

However I feel like I'm being punished for killing too well, the increasingly tougher enemies if you kill enough eventually leads to me fighting a super robot with regenerating shields and more squads that are empowered by the robot (who also look like they get shields).

Also the pedestrian traffic does entirely too much damage when they freak out and crash into you.

• Locked thread