Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
While I'm early in and having an overall nice time so far, outside of industry standard bugs like "Looks like the last enemy fell into the geometry! spam AoEs and hope for the bst" (It gave me the option of wall piercing X-ray rounds for Braddock AFTER that mission), there is one particular thing that's very painful and the usual cause of my near party wipes.

Holy loving poo poo, civilian cars are goddamned brutal, merciless, and in infinite supply if you step food onto the road during a firefight. It's like the pent up rage from generations of pedestrian drivers in criminal sandbox games given form.

EDIT: Even calling in your own car is an adventure. "Oh poo poo, a car deliberately swerved in front of my car's arrival point! again" and your car's arrival slams another car into your face. etc.

Viridiant posted:

The story has basically replaced the gang war plot of Saints Row 2 and especially 3 with a GI-Joe vs Cobra plot.
:3:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I know people, close friends, who don't want to play this because it's not a real brand new Saints Row game. Why....are people like this... :psyduck:

I wish I knew myself. Most of the complaints I see seem to be generic "I don't like it because I don't like it". You'd figure at LEAST there would be more complaints that Street Racing minigames are still 90% a battle with the physics engine teaming up with Murphy's law, civilian scripting, and buggy checkpoints to bring an example of something honestly annoying.

I'm still having fun despite swearing at Pierce's latest violation of space and time in order to trap themselves on a bike rack, but no, they are instead upset to learn that clown dicks are just normal person dicks.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tei posted:

What heroes do people recommend to hire first?

I guess I will end hiring all, but I want to know what are the interesting ones.

I hired Rama and is a good character. Is not here to fucks around, but have a very defined agenda.

Then I hired a gangsta guy with music powers. I slotted him to replace mr. hollywood. I kind of like how effective is mr-gangsta SMG.

I am a bit confused how are we supposed to play this game. Do we hire the heroes first, then we do the story? the way the UI is presented hiring heroes seems to be optional part of the game, and thats weird. Maybe if we do the story we will hire all the heroes anyway, and by rushing to hire the heroes that seems more interest we may be breaking the story of the game.

Another thing that confuse me is the ..leveling pace?. Apparently I can cause chaos in a corner in the world, then kill everything the game sent against me, and gain a few levels. I could probably gain 5 levels by doing this 2 or 3 times.
Is this going to make me overleveled for the content?

I have the feeling that maybe I should be playing at a higher difficulty level, because I can do this and I suck at videogames, but the rewards are already pretty fat so I dunno.

Every hero you can get your hands on at the time, really. Unless that changes later on, it's basically just a two part mission to unlock those agents. Then use whoever the hell yo uwant.

Though I would suggest keeping at least one with an Air dash around. "Come on Braddock, come on. You can make the jump. gently caress… Okay who else I got?" *Rama smoke bombs and plummets 500 feet*. Other than that, somebody you are comfortable long bombing bullets or abilities with for when someone is on a rooftop ledge you can't get to in a hurry.

There are a ton of difficulty settings, and beyond baby zero difficulty they all have scaling grades of Exp/Cash bonus. If you click on it when deploying you can see the estimated recommendation for your average squad levels, for when you want to dust off that guy who is still level three but had set it for something higher than the recommended for a bunch of level 12 murder hobos.

Stanko-Prussian posted:

hoestly i'm amused as hell by kingpin, in a reality where apparently the 3rd street saints never existed (thereby meaning the boss died in the intro of sr1) the person who unified the gangs of stilwater is pierce? pierce loving washington?
People really should give Not Pierce a whirl. As with many videogames, the descriptions claiming accuracy vs inaccuracy seem highly subjective as hell.

For example. I love Braddock, and they murder the gently caress out of things with hipfire headshots at "Close range videogame SMG" ranges. But her airquotes "Accurate long range burst fire" is more that her bullets don't stop in mid air, because you sure as gently caress won't be landing those aimed shots on that rooftop sniper with her unless you use her ability.

But Pierce? gently caress it land accidental headshots all day between throwing fabulous explosions. His "Small clip" also feels generous compared to Hollywood after blowing 6+ levels on ammo upgrades thanks to reload speeds. If Pierce's special was a straight line projectile he'd be unstoppable.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
My enjoyment of this game seems to heavily depend on if I have to fight anywhere near literally any road.

"Yeti's got over 19 thousand health, this should be fine-" Civilian car + rooftop sniper, bye yeti. Okay, switch to Hollywood-*immediately slammed by the latest in a long line of bloodthirsty full speed cars*

Super murder cars also makes it rather difficult to ever get a bead on rooftop snipers at any angle you are allowed to shoot them from at the time :v:

EDIT: okay, okay, I've bounced back and I think I can handle finishing off this max wanted level boss-Nope, Yet is dead again from civilian cars because I backstpped three feet back into the street.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 17, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ExHumus posted:

I actually have found that being conscious of the road and avoiding cars has added an interesting dynamic to fights that break out near them. It is one of the things that keeps fights fun.

Considering legion vehicles actively attempting to kill me are drastically less dangerous than "Civilian cars will all go at warp speed once a firefight starts, and will not stop so long as you are anywhere near a road"... That's less dynamic and more wondering why the actual enemies trying to kill me are preferable.

"Oh, several Legion sports cars are trying to ram my stolen van to death? No problem. There, glad that's over with. Now to call my own car back over here... Oh a solar powered baby car seems to have declared a blood feud with my advance spy car at speeds previously unknown to science. Why isn't legion hiring these guys?"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

berenzen posted:

Pretty sure there's a dash cooldown perk when you upgrade your base.

It can not be overstated how much of a difference that makes. For people with a basic dash like Hardtack or Gat it becomes "Dash as much as you can push the button".

Alas, no basic movement speed upgrades. You can summon cars well before you unlock the car shop or the game reminds you that Pushing Up = Car summon though.

I still need to unlock any alternative sports car that isn't the Torch (RNG unlocked the hatchback and both APCs first). But I expect once more my impossible sports car wish will be "A Hammerhead that doesn't need nitros to go from zero to 30. yes, thirty." Even when missions hand me a ludicrously tricked out Attrazione, it just lacks the heft to feel like I'm living up to the AI's commentary about how they bet they could drive through a wall and or hospital in a sports car.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 18, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zaa Boogie posted:

I feel you on wanting to play multiplayer stuff. But I don't necessarily feel it was needed. And calling it lovely just kind of assholish.

Oh, btw, check out Persephone's office occasionally. There's neat background stuff you can check out.

If nobody has yet, bigger easter egg is going to Requisitions, and looking in the background behind the snake throne for a more familiar statue.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mokinokaro posted:

Two missions are completely broken for me and I can't continue in game.

Kingpin's recruitment I get to the rooftop party and nothing happens. From walkthroughs I know legion troops are supposed to show

The Planetarium Hammersmith gets stuck stunned when his shield goes up and I can't interact with the consoles

Restarting the missions or the game won't fix either. This is on PC.

I had the second one, but unfortunately it just... decided to work one time I started the game back up again later. The time it worked, it stopped to give tutorial prompts and I guess the failure was it forgetting to and getting stuck?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Stanko-Prussian posted:

sometimes it's fun to crank the difficulty down a bit and take oni and just use his special constantly and feel like a tiny god

Yeah that's the most swingy aspect of variable difficulty and disparate character levels. Even though I just got Oni and he's skyrocketed to level 11 already from hanging out with Hollywood and Yeti, All 10 levels gone whole hog into +50% special ability power is still leaving bog standard troopers alive if I try to open up with it on difficulty 8.

That feeling when high power special move headshots can't quite kill trash fodder enemies. Whether it's a generic helltrooper or random police bot "oh look, a civilian overwatch police bot. Let's shoot him in the back of the head execution style... Half heath out of their 1,300 max :sigh:".

I've got a good feeling about him though, and on demand panic even with his default skill not killing things has given plenty of breathing room. It also helps to remind myself that Oni already has over 2,000 shields, when holy poo poo Rama still only has about 800 shields according to the agents listings.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 19, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RatHat posted:

Is there any gadget that makes Red Card's special ability not garbage?

Trying to activate a short ranged ability that inflicts vulnerability only to get chain interrupted makes you something something. He's just so enthusiastic, but in practice he feels so very "Almost but not quite good enough". An Ultimate that explicitly says it's not allowed to kill anything by default isn't helping matters :v:

I'd find him less of a struggle to actively used if he probably didn't have the worst of it in "Videogame shotgun ranges" territory. Gat spoiled me compared to Hardtack, but Hardtack spoils me compared to Redcard's shotgun mode.

EDIT: So many "Get X on Melee/Skill kill" effects that will never trigger when you need them because you use them when it will soften up a bunch of enemies to almost dead rather than dead dead at full power. Thank got Braddock inflicts enfeeble on melee by default, because Gat's knife has apparently forgotten how to finish off enemies that can survive getting skullfucked by a shotgun blast as the difficulty climbs :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 19, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
More than needing to reclaim, what bugs me about all the piles of Legion stuff cropping up in the world is their habit of-

A: Showing up within aggro range of where you spawn in. That's just obnoxious "Okay what am I going to do today-oh there are fracking expliosions under my feet already".

B: How often they have cross coverage with eachother. "Oh there is a hate machine and drop pod launcher loving with me while I try to disable this Fracker"

C: How overkill some of these are. Like the drop pod launcher firing drop pods on top of you when you want to hack it. And will keep dropping pods on top of itself for five solid minuts before you say gently caress skilled gameplay or clearing breathing room, time to use Yeti to smash the Y button I guess.

But yes, them refreshing when you go back to base, the only way to change cars/agents, makes the above even more obnoxious. Even ignoring the stuff like "There I got all of Relic's stores back again-oh I'm missing some already?".

Unrelated to that, but related to videogame health in general. I wish games made fodder enemies have mercy rules where if you headshot them for 90% of their health, just have them loving die.

It's a bitch in Mass Effect, it's a bitch here, why put ten levels into better crits when a headshot still leaves the bottom of the barrel enemies alive due to scaling, gently caress.

Zaa Boogie posted:

Shooting a Swarmtrooper out of there flips and tumbles and watching them ragdoll a fair ways will never get old.

Also did you know that all the agents actually move and jump at the same rate? Some just *look* like they move slower.
Yeti is my favorite to roofjump with due to the combination of his animations and my full well knowing this :3:

I'm mixed on Daisy. If she didn't have a trillion shields I wouldn't be using her so much now that I've got her from how slow she is to actually kill things at times. "Okay, so my gun overheated again, let's use that ramming speed and higher melee damage I have during her cooldown special!.. come on, shoulde check, gun swing... come on... you're a loving swarm trooper recolor why are you still alive." And this is dropping the difficulty down to five or so to give my latest batch of newbies breathing room. Because they are "Only" level 10+

Really, really good at giving breathing room for the team though. So even though she's not living up to her murderous reputation she's still getting poo poo done for me consistently. Go figure roller derby girl is the "Slow but steady" fighter for me to set things up for Pierce to clean house with his tiny SMG. (I am very glad Pierce is good. His ranked enemy damage keeps him relevant long term too)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 19, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

Oh, that makes sense. I was bouncing between deploying GC and doing side stuff, so not much killing going on.

As an unrelated "How I grind X?" reminder. The cars that only say they need 1 schematic are plot unlocks. So you can unlock both APCs, the attrazione, etc. But can't unlock the big pickup truck, or mongoose you see Legion agents driving until the plot just hands you one.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Maybe if you were a REAL GAMER you'd have the instincts to sit on that sweet spots between all four Relic shops opening, but before losing relic shops activates, for your early upgrade unlocks :smug:

But nah it's pretty poo poo :v: Though today my defeat is that this is the 5th time the game has frozen, crashed, or otherwise required me to close it and pray things work.

New legion tactic. Not only do they take back the outpost you just cleared five seconds ago when returning to the Ark, they don't let you get back to the Ark in the first place.

For serious though, my bigger issue outside of the Relic annoyance is the Cross coverage and "In aggro range of spawn points". Them refreshing so often in general means a steady influx of upgrade containers that doesn't required using the annoying global leader board contracts. It's how aggressive they are in stacking on top of eachother and giving you the runaround with Relic that's the main issue.

Getting tired of breaking hate machines, watching explosive civilians still pop up right next to it's remains. And wonder "Okay... Are hate machines just bugged, or is this because there are two more of the loving things within 98 meters of here according to my mission list?". Meaning I just suck it up and let explosive civilians try to interrupt me when I'm going after fracking machines or other stuff because destroying hate machines, and only go after them if I feel like a quick chance at an upgrade core.

I'm glad we have all these options for materials and upgrade cores. It's just overkill how much cross coverage they give eachother, between the obvious bugs, things leaving you wondering if it IS a bug (Dear drop pod launcher. Please stop giving yourself infinite reinforcements so I ignore you unless I brought a master hacker to just beefwall auto hack the console), and lost Relic cash.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 20, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I wish Pierce had some commentary for the fact he's the one trucking along like a badass while Johnny "+20% crits shotgun headshots deals 95% trash mob health" Gat keeps eating pavement and it's no loving wonder he's got a legion tech a based around dropping a grenade when he dies.

Speaking of frequent causes of enemy spike damage, it appears enemies either take little, or no damage, from their own AoE spam. Makes actually interrupting grenade tosses that much more lackluster. Or when you kill a shocktrooper and his self destruct leaves all the regular troopers around him still with 90% of their health so that's probably just from you accidentally winging them earlier, etc.

RatHat posted:

Also I had a bug today where my UI completely disappeared and I had to close and relaunch the game to fix it.

Same.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 20, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Braddock's Cable outfit was was unexpected, but really cool. I have to assume Rauma has a Storm reference.

Surprise. It's BISHOP, with Cables gun. So you get two X-men References at once.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

A. Beaverhausen posted:

gently caress I'm a terrible x-fan, I forgot about Bishop.

For what it's worth, there would be basically no way to tell without the eye tattoo. Given the average blue and yellow 90s X-Men outfit :v: And the "CABLE Layer" name on the gun makes it that much harder to click on that.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

Why are there so many shard/crystals? Does something else use them later because the game gives them out way too often and you're very quickly have more than you know what to do with.

Fortunately, counter to the usual collectothon instincts. You don't need all the crystals for anything but cheevos. As particularly once you get the "better loot odds" upgrade, and more events are available. You can end up getting multiple cores before you collect 10 shards.

It's the upshot of Legion hazards being so spammy. A constant supply of upgrade cores, when not simply getting lucky with a treasure chest having one inside. Get those scan upgrades.

It's incredibly liberating, and why I'm glad for the concept of quickly resetting events. If not the current implementation of "So you spawned in, and you are already inside the aggro range of both a golem's airstrikes and-*rolls dice* a fracking machine you can see fifteen feet in front of the temple and *rolls dice* one of those spawning booths" With snipers already aiming at you if you try to roof hop far enough to call in your car without it being smashed by a meteor.

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Anyone else having a thing where a high malice level boss will just disappear mid combat, forcing the game to spawn another?

I've had this happen to me a ton, yes. "Oh he took cover behind the one piece of cover in this area rather than let the pair of snipers and my giant laser beam hit him? Guess I should lose aggro and reset rather than pursue him"

Let me murder you for profit already. :argh:

Though I admit, having cleared the story has kind of cut my drive to get all my agents to 20. Even though I've got 80+ cores sitting around asking me "Who do you want to skyrocket to level 40 for shits and giggles?" (It would probably be Pierce. For reasons of "Braddock is a beast at 20, but Pierce is always short range")

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 23, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

It took me a while to discover the gremlin tech button, and now I pretty much don't use them.
They kinda suck

I'd probably use the "Murder all civilians" tech to make hate machines easier when not using somebody who can essentially AoE two shot them before they enable their invulnerability. But the civilians keep spawning in anyways so yeah.

That said, make at least some of the revive party techs just in case.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

spit on my clit posted:

boy i sure do loving love how the game will silently bump me up two difficulties making me wonder why my whole team just got wiped and why im doing so little damage that i might as well be throwing the guns at them. this was a great idea, volition. another good idea: having a platformer boss in a game where you can just jump from the street to the platform that lets you disable the big blue ball's shield. speaking of big blue balls, did they really need to make a whole specialization dedicated to "does more damage against ice machines/hate machines/gravity dominators/golems/whatever the gently caress else machinery there is" I feel they could have just rolled that into Giant Slayer so that World Savior doesnt feel like such a worthless ability on the agents that get it.

"Why do you like Daisy"
"She has an air dash"
Always bring at least one agent with air Dash. Another reason Pierce is getting more poo poo done than Gat in this universe.

...Oh my god. Gat's backstory makes so much more sense now in hindsight. Given that fits his actual gameplay experience to the point one of this legion techs is "Drop a grenade when you die (Because the Devs know you will)".

World Savior was probbaly as much to spread the passives around so you could not end up with the perfect super soldier that is "Red Card is great against both Armor AND shields! Now you have a reason to use Red Card"

For what it's worth, World savior is hilarious with certain Agents. I once one-shot a hate machine with Hardtack. Who's shotgun will never loving trigger "Will hurt nearby enemies" against ninjas rubbing shoulders with eachother, but somehow triggered to deal three way damage on rotating screens.

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I tried to spec into his melee thing thinking would be awesome with the shield generation and poo poo.
It's not, as all enemies will punch you harder than you can punch them, making what little shield you do gain worthless.
And also the melee 'cooldown' is loving atrocious

"Why do you like Oleg?"
"He has an air dash"

Though yeah as the difficulty rises, that huge health pool just means he can take five hours to refill without health pickups. However, he's still the most beefy super hacker. And he can loving chump shock troopers and the like when given the chance even if he's just as vulnerable to civilian cars and sudden snipers as everyone else.

spit on my clit posted:

it really is like two seconds between each melee attack. why? so many characters revolve around gaining buffs from melee kills, but guys like Gat either one-shots enemies or leaves them with about three melees worth of health.
I am so very, very glad Braddok's Melee has a cool thing by default. Feels less wasteful to shoot a guy melee failed to murder, when it applies vulnerable in the process. "On melee kill" is also another thing on the long list of reasons Red Card disappoints. "Oh, oooooh. All those levels I put into health on kill only work if it's a Melee kill" Maybe it buffs his skill to but, well, yeah.

Ninja of the hard to spell name may get her poo poo ruined by melee and damage aura enemies, but at least her health on sword murder still lets me bring her along for funnies to slice up fodder enemies. Her blind is surprisingly unhelpful though. Enemies are very prepared, they have memorized the location of all ledges and chest high boxes so as to leap down and circle around behind a crate while blind.

Go ninja go ninja go I'd rate as "Under expectations, but still workable and fun". So long as I keep in mind even red card can shoot the enemies, turrets, and explosive drones she sucks against.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 26, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

spit on my clit posted:

Red Card, the man that can climb kill anything. because he has a gun. ok really i just cant get enough of red card. just some random loving civilian at a soccer game that decided to run face-first into a herd of legion and somehow not get slaughtered immediately. They have guns! How do you not die as a man who only has his fists up against an army? How is Legion even a threat if they can't take out red card? And why did Persephone decide she needs to give this man an auto shotgun/rifle and an explosive harness? Its such a stupid loving idea.

She saw him on one of her "Always has booze in hand" days instead of one of her "always has a cigarette in hand" days.

That and she had bet money on his team and was wanted to make Legion pay in a suitably thematic manner.

If not for auto-save, I would (after getting him to 20) blow 20 upgrade crystals on him to read what Persephone's deep thoughts are about him. As the computer room has little data blurbs that update based on things like "Level 20. level 30. level 40" and "Clear 1 then 5 character specific contracts"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zaa Boogie posted:

I think I remember somebody asking how in the world do you use Joule and I think it just comes down to if her gameplay works with you. But I've been trying to play everybody evenly and I still like her.

I can't comment *too* much since I haven't gotten any legion tech for her but stock I'd say it's pretty important to get turret range up early. I've mainly been using the increased firing rate for her special weapon but you really want to dance around the turret while the enemies concentrate on it. Special restocks pretty fast so you definitely want to spam it.

Her slow as molasses deploy speed I could probably try to plan around. The bigger issue to me is an annoying tendency for "By buff your turret, you meant remove it from your carefully placed position on top of a narrow computer and throw it into that corner next to you, right?" being why I keep trying and failing to enjoy her.

gently caress me for taking cover so my shields recover while my turret shoots enemies from behind, I guess. "Okay turret, use your 'draw all aggro' power-fuuuuuck"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 27, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zaa Boogie posted:

Oh, well, I always pre-emptively pick a spot that's open to toss. Much more important to do so after you get the toss range core upgrade. Also your turret buff shouldn't move it when it's already deployed. It'll just deploy it before applying your buff if it's not out. Also of the three buffs the increased firing rate one is the only one that doesn't make the enemy instantly aggro on it. But as long as they're getting shot they still go for it more than me so it's why I stick with it.

Also lots of jumping around. Joule's gun will go for enemies before it goes for the turrent so you can pester them while it does work.

I mean specifically, I've already deployed my turret preemptive. But using my ability button decides "Oh, I must be too far away, therefore, have her throw a brand new one THEN activate the ability! I'm so helpful!"

Maxed out turret range skill and preemptive placement don't really do much against that.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
While the game certainly had a lot of issues above and beyond "LOL no Multiplayer!", I was expecting it to at least do better than layoffs town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

John Murdoch posted:

Pierce's psych evaluation says something like "While gregarious and affable, underneath he is deeply homesick." :smith:

Also am I doing something wrong or does Hollywood kind of suck? Seems like he's only good for his grenade and maybe his mayhem, otherwise in a stand-up fight he dies way too fast and deals way too little damage, even when unloading crit after crit into something's head. Maybe the problem is that I switched to his debuff grenade in an attempt to not die so readily, when I really should be nuking everything with his normal grenade or setting things up with his vulnerable one?

Not particularly. Scaling can get a bit off kilter as time goes on, so "Oh cool, I can fire my grenades mid air!" turns into "Oh cool, I can-*sniped out of the air*". But he has still come in handy to me for the fact he's got one of the longest range special attacks to go alongside a World Savior+Armor piercing combo. "Hey Fortune, hit that sniper on the other rooftop with your bomb-oh that's right it's got a worse thrown than me personally trying to play basketball." Scaling just means he lacks notable punch or survivability in the long run. Daisy takes much longer to actually kill stuff than Holywood for example, but she has 18 billion shields so she gets to actually take the time for sustained fire.

Meanwhile, while I used Holywood 24/7 in the early game, and still at least semi regularly later. I went from ignoring Hardtack to using him almost constantly. Mostly because of Hardtack's ability to get bonkers regen while in combat (is that still disabled when he's swapped on? :() let me keep rolling during some particularly spammy or drawn out encounters, or when sudden instant death happened to my other teammates. Waiting for even level 20 healthbars to refill naturally without huge bonuses is some bullshit.

As well, the teleport harpoon is one of the best anti-sniper moves in the game. When I use the damage dealing harpoons, it doesn't kill anything or even worse it clips the enemy inside terrain and I have to restart the mission. Teleport harpoon meanwhile deposits them in front of the barrel of your shotgun :getin:

• Locked thread