Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

I'm here

That's too bad. One of the things I hated most about Borderlands and games like it are the excessive amount of trash loot drops there were to sift through, I wasn't expecting that from this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

I'm here

I'm having...FUN with this game?! I feel like the PR for this game wasn't great because combat is way better than it appeared to be, I'm moving a lot more and just the beginning enemies can be pretty dangerous when there are enough of them. I'm not really noticing the "enemies just stand still" problem. Yeah they don't immediately move when you start shooting them but I can't think of many games where this is the case. They're certainly moving around a lot in combat, and switching between agents is a lot more natural and fluid than it was looking like to me.

One criticism that I did notice in my game is that Seoul is strangely quiet. I'm trying to remember how much chatter and background noise Saints Row 2 had since that's the last game with a really good open world. The radio stations aren't really grabbing me either, they seem like mostly background noise.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

I'm here

Doorknob Slobber posted:

so I was skeptical, but since people are playing it care to say what it is? Is it a borderlands kind of thing? Will you have to 'grind' to have 'fun'?

No. So far the only things you gather materials for are, as a previous poster said, the consumables that seem more like an extra supplement in battles than anything else. I haven't played much of Borderlands, but from what I can tell the only similarity is that damage numbers pop up when you shoot enemies.

It's kind of hard to compare it directly to another game because it's something that hasn't been done before precisely this way, at least not among the games I've been exposed to. The open world portion feels very much like the post-Saints Row 2 entries in the Saints Row series. I'm running/driving around blowing things up, doing activities and missions, getting collectibles, capturing enemy points, and even buying some property to get an income. If I was doing all of this with a single player created character instead of a rotatable roster of characters with different powers it would essentially be Saints Row 5.

The story has basically replaced the gang war plot of Saints Row 2 and especially 3 with a GI-Joe vs Cobra plot.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

I'm here

I think multiplayer would've been really fun in this game but I don't think it not being in detracts from the experience.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

I'm here

The only way to get to the top of the very tall buildings is to find some kind of elevator. If you use scan, elevators and things like them appear as a column of green arrows pointing up.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

I'm here

There was someone who asked one or two pages back if the characters talk to each other while walking around in the world. After playing this more, I can say that yes this happens fairly often. It's just not necessarily only between characters in your group. It will always involve one character in your group, but who they talk to could be another agent or an npc at your headquarters over the radio.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

I'm here

MadDogMike posted:

Really? How do people use her well? In my experience she keeps getting blown to bits the second something looks at her funny, what's the trick to using her well?

Also, can't locate a single warp point, do they only unlock the extra ones after certain missions or something? Haven't done too much story, I recruit people then grind them up to a useful level.

I was actually intrigued after reading that message because I had the same thought, so I started experimenting with different ways to play her and hit upon one that upped her survivability a lot.

She's definitely different from a lot of the other characters. She's not very run and gun. The thing that started working for me was going into stealth as often as possible, and using her special as often as possible. Her regular arrow attack isn't going to be your primary source of damage here. Whenever shes' out of stealth I'm jumping around to dodge shots. As soon as she gets into stealth I'm charging shots up and firing them off.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

I'm here

poptart_fairy posted:

Independent of any Saints Row shenanigans, how much stuff is there to do in the game, and does the core loop hold up?

There are the main story missions, and then each agent has a few missions for their own personal stories. I'm not sure yet how many each agent has, I think an earlier poster said two not including their intro mission. Besides that there are several different control points to capture from the enemy on the map that they can periodically recapture. The map is -not- very big, so this doesn't get as annoying as it sounds. It also doesn't really effect much but your income, so it's more a way to provide you with more materials, money, and experience. Then there are miscellaneous little repeatable activities to do like rescuing hostages, attacking enemy patrols and enemy vehicles, races, villain lairs, and a few other things I haven't really touched yet. There are also collectible crystal shards which, when you've collected 10, combine to give you a large crystal that you can slot into one of three slots for each agent that gives them some kind of permanent improvement to their abilities. For instance, one slot for one character makes it so that they gain health back for every enemy they kill.

For activities not located on the city map, there are two varieties. One variety are contracts, which are lists of things like "Kill this many of this type of enemy", that reward cash and crystals. You can look online to see who else is doing these contracts so that what you each do in your individual games counts towards the collective total. Since these contracts are timed, teaming up with other people is pretty much the only way to do them.

Finally there are Global Conflicts. If you've ever played a game like the later Assassin's Creeds where you send people all over the world to investigate different cities, that's basically what these are. They'll reward you with xp and cash, and sometimes you'll uncover Legion lairs which are basically randomly generated dungeons that you accomplish various goals in like killing all enemies in a room or hacking a certain number of control terminals in a room.

I've been playing the game for a number of hours now and I'm still having fun, partially due to the variety of agents. They're all pretty likable and fun to play, though obviously your mileage may vary on how much their personalities appeal to you. The animated sequences are nice and though the city's npcs aren't very memorable the city itself is nice to look at.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

I'm here

poptart_fairy posted:

Thanks a lot for that.

Is this cash and crystal system being used for anything particularly interesting, or is it a bog standard open world character development thing?

Pretty bog standard stuff, when it comes to that. Crystals are solely for getting upgrades to how your powers work, cash is only used for building things and buying upgrades that do things like making health drops and cash drops able to be picked up from farther away or increasing how fast an unselected hero's health regenerates.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

I'm here

I wish that you could scan while driving a car. As it is I almost never drive because I feel like I'm missing out on all the chests scattered around the world.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

I'm here

I've been tearing things up with Joule. I put her turret down and then start electrocuting enemies while constantly dash-dodging. The dash-dodging doesn't disrupt her weapon for that long and because of its nature you don't have to be accurate with it so you can keep it up for pretty much the whole fight without problem.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

I'm here

Yeah, Red Card is definitely the character I'm having the hardest time finding a good use for. His special ability is truly awful.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

I'm here

Zaa Boogie posted:

Shooting a Swarmtrooper out of there flips and tumbles and watching them ragdoll a fair ways will never get old.

Also did you know that all the agents actually move and jump at the same rate? Some just *look* like they move slower.

This reminds me of how races in MMOs move. The big ones always look like they move slower than the small ones because they have to adjust their animation so all of them move at the same speed even though they're built very differently. So like in WoW a gnome will look like a tiny speedster and a tauren will look like the slowest lumbering ox.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

I'm here

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Got a fun bug where enemies aren't spawning in the Rama investigation mission, therefore rendering me unable to finish it.
And now also my HUD just decided to gently caress off for the day.

I've had the spawning issue happen in three or four different missions and each time it was fixed by restarting from checkpoint.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

I'm here

Have updated thoughts on this game as I get farther through it. I'm pretty close to the end. Weirdly it says I have 57/57 campaign missions done but there are still more to go and I have two bosses left to take down.

Overall I obviously enjoy this game or I wouldn't have made it this far since I tend to get bored of games I'm not enjoying pretty easily. That said, it's still weird to me that it was intended to be a single player game throughout its development, because it seems like it would be so much funner as a cooperative experience and it lacks a certain polish I expect from single player dedicated games. The game has a lot of neat concepts but I don't feel that any of them were fully explored. The multiple heroes are fun to play but I still don't feel like I really know any of them outside of the ones that were in the Saints Row games. There are a number of dangling plot threads that I assumed would be resolved in the team missions but aren't, like how Oni's family is still abducted but the team mission is for some reason about getting a chinchilla?

The game feels like a bunch of loosely connected ideas for silly scenarios with no strong thread holding them together. I would like to have seen much more interplay between the various villains since they're supposed to be a team themselves, but they're all so isolated within their respective storylines. Even Saints Row 3 managed to do this a bit better than this game and that game was a narrative disaster. I feel similarly about the relationships between the various heroes and npc allies. I hear about their relationships but they never -show- any of the heroes actually hanging out or working together so I don't feel any genuine connection there. They do this with the npcs so I actually end up feeling more connected to them than the characters I'm actually playing.

The game was enjoyable enough to keep me playing it but if any other games I wanted had come out at the same time as this one then I probably would barely have played it. You see pretty much all this game has to offer within the first hour. Volition is going to need to do better when it comes to their next game. They still haven't done another really good open world. The city is nice to look at but that's it. It's all looks and no personality.

And I'm sorry to say, but as long as they keep this so connected to Saints Row I'm gonna be craving the return of my Boss. I keep thinking about how much more enjoyable a character the Boss was when compared to Persephone.

Red Card's Mayhem Ability is still bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

I'm here

Yeah the XCom 2 expansion has come out and I have basically no intention of returning to this. Fun at first, but there's just not enough variation in the game. I could forgive most of its other flaws (it's ridiculous how many people are talking about bugs in this thread) if not for that.

Very disappointing. I was really hoping this game would surprise me.

• Locked thread