Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

OK so I pre-ordered like an idiot (although I did find it a little cheaper than on the main Steam store).

To be honest I'm not expecting it to be fantastic (and yeah maybe if I'd read the RPS round up first...) buuuuut we'll see. drat you, marketing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

OK, having it a few hours, it's better than I was expecting. Not great, not mediocre, there's some interesting things with the upgrades and poo poo, and I am actually down with the goofy morning action figure cartoon vibe with the ludicrous plot.

I dunno, it's weird because I was sceptical going in and yet I decided not to wait, and have found myself having a good time between the variance between the street battles and the base/lair fights. But that's only the first 4-5 hours in. Whether it has staying power, yeah, that's still up for debate. But at this stage I'm giving this a solid 8 (on the usual game review scale is everything below 7 is terrible).

At first I thought the open world felt a bit lacking, but there I was, just minding my own business and I decide to take out a patrol because why not, and before you know it everything's escalating and suddenly it's just like old times. I'm not even sure what some of the dudes' mayhem powers do, but Braddocks and Gats (as mentioned) are pretty baller.

(And I'm more into it than Red Faction: Space rear end in a top hat where all I wanted to do was demolish space buildings but the space police kept turning up.)

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

OK who's the AC/DC deep cut fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W-fIn2QZgg

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Timotheous Venture posted:

I don't have the game so I can't test it, but I saw a things-I-wish-I'd-known article about AoM stating that Legion reclaims an outpost whenever you go back to your base/hub. Apparently the developers wanted to encourage you to stay out in the world or something.
Yeah this is a questionable gameplay decision. Especially because part of the fun of this game actually is doing things with different squads as well as gearing them up with whatever new poo poo you've found. It would probably make more sense to have this on a timer of some sort.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Morby posted:

Welp! Looks like my wife is getting a Steam copy of this game.

Just need Shaundi.
Yeah I was trying to think about what happened if they tied her in which one they'd pick, Cocaine Shaundi or Stoner Shaundi. (Or both in one and give her the codename Gemini or something?) Seeing as she's not even on the list whereas we will probably see Safeword turn up.

Anyway, I have run into a few of those annoying bugs as well (I think at one point where I was up to the final Not-Beiber mission, every key except WASD and the mouse was bugged out - including Esc so I couldn't even open up the Pause screen and reload from checkpoint.

I think though, despite the bugs, I'm still prepared to call the game Good although I think it depends on how you find the writing - I think it matches the tone of the later SR games (and is certainly more coherent than The Third) but it's doing its own thing.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Gat gets Magnum PI and Crockett from Miami Vice I think.

(Ironic thing is that Magnum PI was a sort of a spinoff from the original Hawaii Five-O)

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at Aug 21, 2017 around 07:30

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Of all the dumb jokes like Yeti extolling the virtues of rap-rock and that's the one that broke you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Yeah, I dunno what to make of it. What I will say that they were market it up as a AAA game (with a AAA price, oof) but it felt AA at best. I mean, it's weird, but while there was nothing egregiously wrong with it, and in fact it was generally a good thing that they were trying to do something a little different, it also fell a bit flat?

• Locked thread