Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Stanko-Prussian
May 21, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

RatHat posted:

Any idea what Gat's skills are?

Shooting, stabbing, and his special is Flanderization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanko-Prussian
May 21, 2006

hoestly i'm amused as hell by kingpin, in a reality where apparently the 3rd street saints never existed (thereby meaning the boss died in the intro of sr1) the person who unified the gangs of stilwater is pierce? pierce loving washington?

Stanko-Prussian
May 21, 2006

well, i just beat it, that was a goddamn blast and i hope it does well enough to warrant expanding on because i absolutely enjoy the "if g.i. joe was on adult swim" world. i guess from various text in the game and a few bits in videos that the next agent is probably gonna be kinzie, codename "safeword", either that or they got cut after the cinematics were done.

also, volition, thankyou for providing the internet with voiceclips of d.va swearing.

Stanko-Prussian
May 21, 2006

A. Beaverhausen posted:

gently caress me I knew I recognized that voice

I hope not, but after the scathing reviews criticising AoM for not being a Saints Row game I don't know if they'll be able to continue with it

People are dumb as poo poo, it is absolutely a saints row game it's just not set in the saints row universe because there's no room left in that universe, it is completely mined the gently caress out. I mean, poo poo, gat out of hell was more shale than ore, honestly.

It sucks if it dies because if this was a hit they could have made it an eternal game sort of thing. A new map, all the old agents, some new ones, another bunch of lieutenants and new missions etc, i'd pay for new seasons as expansion packs for sure.

Stanko-Prussian
May 21, 2006

Substandard posted:

I'm about a dozen hours in. I don't know that I like a ton about the game in the abstract, because the missions are definitely repetitive (particularly lairs), and the story is questionable at best.

It's pretty fun to actually play though. One of the main gameplay complaints I read in a bunch of reviews that I think is particularly valid is the fact that there isn't a lot of feedback when you are getting hit. It's really easy to get a guy killed / almost killed before you even notice that you are taking a bunch of damage.

The shooting is fun, and there is quite a bit of variety in how you construct your team. At the moment I'm running with Fortune, Scheherazade, and Kingpin, but there aren't a ton of agents I don't like. Joule kind of sucks, Hollywood is boring, and Yeti seems awfully week. The other 9 all seem viable (I don't have Gat).

Overall I'm having a ton of fun with it, but I think it's flawed. I'll definitely keep playing it.

Yeah, Joule seems like she would be fun but playing her just turns into "hide behind something and keep tapping the "buff turret" button occasionally and wait until the shooting stops". For a game that mostly seems like its gameplay loop is [a picture of a tasmanian devil duel wielding uzis] she's definitely a bit of an odd duck.

Stanko-Prussian
May 21, 2006

Lasher posted:

Just thinking about headshots. Though by sheer numbers alone the amount of bullets she spews might do it anyway.

Just unlocked Oni. He's a headshot machine.

sometimes it's fun to crank the difficulty down a bit and take oni and just use his special constantly and feel like a tiny god

Stanko-Prussian
May 21, 2006

Viridiant posted:

Yeah, Red Card is definitely the character I'm having the hardest time finding a good use for. His special ability is truly awful.

redcard's use is for softening everybody up and then you press right on the d-pad, switch to oni, and press rb/r1 a lot

e: ^^^ yeah i am preeeeetty sure there is actually a pretty massive bug going on with the outpost reclaim times

Stanko-Prussian
May 21, 2006

Things i would have done differently with AoM, an incomplete list:

* Squishier enemies, but a lot more of them, go hogwild
* better hit/low health notifications
* a more obvious/exposed to the player system for superweapons appearing, bases flipping etc
* more incentive for mixing teams up, you get stuck with what works, and what works is gunnery sergeant janelle braddock applied directly to the forehead
* little less fragmentation of the story, i spent half the game wondering when i was going to find out what persephone's deal was and then i stumbled onto the cutscenes on the computer
* minigame where i can go back to the ark whenever i want and kick the poo poo out of august gaunt

Stanko-Prussian
May 21, 2006

ExHumus posted:

If we do see DLC agents beyond Gat and Lazarus, I expect we'll get Kinzie. The AMA they did on Reddit showed that there was demand for her, and she was clearly already on their radar.

as well as in the vids, safeword is mentioned in the present tense in gat's profile

Stanko-Prussian
May 21, 2006

Viridiant posted:

Have updated thoughts on this game as I get farther through it. I'm pretty close to the end. Weirdly it says I have 57/57 campaign missions done but there are still more to go and I have two bosses left to take down.

Overall I obviously enjoy this game or I wouldn't have made it this far since I tend to get bored of games I'm not enjoying pretty easily. That said, it's still weird to me that it was intended to be a single player game throughout its development, because it seems like it would be so much funner as a cooperative experience and it lacks a certain polish I expect from single player dedicated games. The game has a lot of neat concepts but I don't feel that any of them were fully explored. The multiple heroes are fun to play but I still don't feel like I really know any of them outside of the ones that were in the Saints Row games. There are a number of dangling plot threads that I assumed would be resolved in the team missions but aren't, like how Oni's family is still abducted but the team mission is for some reason about getting a chinchilla?

The game feels like a bunch of loosely connected ideas for silly scenarios with no strong thread holding them together. I would like to have seen much more interplay between the various villains since they're supposed to be a team themselves, but they're all so isolated within their respective storylines. Even Saints Row 3 managed to do this a bit better than this game and that game was a narrative disaster. I feel similarly about the relationships between the various heroes and npc allies. I hear about their relationships but they never -show- any of the heroes actually hanging out or working together so I don't feel any genuine connection there. They do this with the npcs so I actually end up feeling more connected to them than the characters I'm actually playing.

The game was enjoyable enough to keep me playing it but if any other games I wanted had come out at the same time as this one then I probably would barely have played it. You see pretty much all this game has to offer within the first hour. Volition is going to need to do better when it comes to their next game. They still haven't done another really good open world. The city is nice to look at but that's it. It's all looks and no personality.

And I'm sorry to say, but as long as they keep this so connected to Saints Row I'm gonna be craving the return of my Boss. I keep thinking about how much more enjoyable a character the Boss was when compared to Persephone.

Red Card's Mayhem Ability is still bad.

The loose threads thing bugged me until i realized the missions were basically the "what keeps this character going through the whole run of the saturday morning cartoon" sort of thing. and yeah, Neo-Seoul is nice looking but it has no real landmarks, city feels oddly procedurally generated and like it could go on infinitely in any direction.

The boss/saints row thing i honestly wish that volition had had the guts to just leave SR out of it entirely if it wasn't actually going to be a SR game. there's a good few occasions where i was thinking "either poo poo or get off the pot, volition" about the coy hints. like, easter eggs and references are one thing and fun but this was heading more towards cowardice. either do it or don't but don't hedge your bets so blatantly.

red card still bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanko-Prussian
May 21, 2006

spit on my clit posted:

pierce just made a "the cake is a lie" reference. kill this game.

Volition i love you but this is completely unforgivable.

• Locked thread