Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«12 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Your friendly croctopus overlord LP'er


Archibald Middlemoot

"Thank you, good sir. We are much in your deby for this kindness. This is a fine Chateau here, and nothing like we were expecting to find out here. We are a party supporting our sire here in the pursuit of a Bandit called Lebau. I am Archibald Middlemoot, the Litigator charged with trying this Bandit once we have captured him. I wonder if you have heard anything about him?

Lets try a quick charm check.

Charm!=93 That'll be a nope then. To far below his status!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013


Jotunn Heavy-Hand

For most of the walk Jotunn is ruminating on what he's going to do to that LeBeau once they catch him for making them dealing with these damned peasants and sloshing through this miserable and smelly muck. Jotunn wasn't some needlessly cruel individual, despite what the Grey Wizard thought. He was a fighter through and through, and well fighting is messy and violent. Oh sure, he'd take pleasure in killing someone who annoyed him, but he wasn't going to torture anyone first, or murder a babe in its sleep or anything.

He was certainly leaning towards the "bring back his head" offer.

By the time they sight the bridge and Hane came out to greet them Jotunn was tired, and nobles were talking, so he sort of zoned out until he heard "bath". Dwarfs were not typically "bath" types of folks; water was hard to come by underground, so you tended to keep it for drinking, brewing, and mining. But if the last few days had done anything, it made the mercenary desire a bath more than anything in the world.

"I hope it is a hot bath..." Jotunn says in almost a trance as they followed the lord back into his keep.

While waiting for his bath to be drawn, Jotunn chats with the servants, trying to see if anyone has heard about some bandit rear end in a top hat passing through, but the Dwarf is too tired and his attempts at gossip sound more like an interrogation, and the servants ignore him.

Probably for the best.

Forgot I had a social skill through gossip. gossip TN of 21: 1d100 59

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Aucassin turns mid-stride at the mention of LeBeau's name, his brow furrowing. "LeBeau? As in, Guido LeBeau? A man by that name passed through here earlier this week, but he said he was a merchant who had almost lost cargo to the storms off the coast of the city." The noble's features darken and he shakes his head, turning, his stride less cheerful now. "I had thought the man's gaze to be furtive and his manner of speaking criminal, but a bandit? You must tell me more over dinner, my friends. But, you must see to your own care first!"

The adventurers are led up to the second floor of the tower as Aucassin busies himself with his staff in the main hall, where the group is lead to almost a dozen different suites, each fitted for noble guests and courtiers and with steaming baths heated by magical runes on the side of the ceramic tubs. Each suite has a maid and a steward standing at the ready for the whims of their guests, and a few cast nervous glances at one another due to the state of the guests or due to the armament they carry. Those attending to Jotunn politely smile, but it's obvious the smiles are forced; the dwarf is definitely not making any genuine friends with the staff with his interrogations.



Since this is technically a resting point, we'll go ahead and dole out some experience here for everything you've dealt with so far. Go ahead and take 300 XP for your misadventures thus far. I'll move us along likely this coming sunday, since I work retail and we have inventory coming up on Friday and Saturday.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cat Hogberry-Patch

Cat avails herself of the hospitality of her accommodations with little restraint. The steward and maid are, luckily, able to corral her into the bath before she can leap upon the fine sheets and furs of the bed and foul them with the unlimited filth of Mousillon. As she bathes, she spends some time chitchatting with the pair about topics ranging from pies to sordid romantic dalliances to gross misunderstandings about Brettonian culture and, despite their initial reticence and insistence on things like decorum, Cat soon has made friends for life. Such is the way of the Halfling.

After a lengthy soak, Cat emerges from the now-filthy waters and wraps herself in a luxurious robe. Or, perhaps, simply a fluffy handtowel that someone quickly poked a few holes through. Either way, she seems thrilled by it. As the maid works on untangling her red locks with a comb, Cat bombards her with more friendly questions, "So wat's life like in the Chateausit? Ya gettin' enough to eat, luv? You're real pretty, but yer nuttin' but skins and bones! Tells ya wat, iffen yer ever up in Saurapfel, ya should look up me mam and pap's shop. They've got the best pies in the world, swear to Esmerelda, en they'll make drat well sure y'ain't hungered no more iffen ya tell em I sentcha." Cat pauses, then shoots a question over towards the steward, "Ey, guv, you happen to see when that Lee-Bow guy came through?"

Gossip (TN=41): 1d100 2

Advancing Agility twice clearly Cat is much more thermodynamic with her hair untangled and taking an extra Wound with my XP!

Tricky fucked around with this message at Oct 5, 2017 around 03:13

LGD
Sep 25, 2004



Skag


Skag yawns and stretches, his face breaking into a grin.

"Well now! This is some proper hospitality! My thanks to you Sir. After that trek a boar and a bath sounds truly dawr."

He quickly lets himself be led off by Aucassin's servants.

Guess I'll take one WS advance and 2 WP advances, which should be reflected on my sheet in the OOC thread

LGD fucked around with this message at Oct 5, 2017 around 03:10

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010


Royalty is a continuous cutting motion


Henri de Vienne


At last, a gentleman! A sight for sore eyes in a land of eyesores, if Henri says so himself, which he does. "My lord Aucassin, your manners are a breath of fresh air in this swamp. I accept your hospitality with heartfelt thanks. Indeed, we have much to discuss over dinner." After seeing to his horse, hostler or no hostler, Henri makes a point of politely, but firmly dismissing whatever attendants are provided for his bath and blocking the door.

Knights always see to their horses themselves, and the woman in disguise will obviously bathe alone. I'll take 2 wounds and the last WS advance for this career.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013


Jotunn Heavy-Hand

Jotunn sinks down into the warm bath up to his nose, his beard floating about the water like light colored seaweed before an ugly, vaguely skull shaped island. Journeys, baths, rear end in a top hat wizards with a thing for dumb villagers, a soon to come boar meal. These are they things you don't get spending all your time underground and worrying about some book of grudges. Even a dwarf can enjoy the finer things in life, even if it means forsaking your entire culture. Bah, who needs 'em? These were a bunch of guys that went to war with the elves over a shaved beard!

Jotunn gets out of the bath, and initially stands by fire to dry, until the servants he tried grilling present him with a towel, trying their best to shield their eyes from the dwarf's sensitive bits. The Dwarf laughs at this, then grabs the towel and drys himself off. Getting back into his leather jerkin and grabbing his axe and shield, he makes his way back downstairs to the festivities. As he goes to take his place at the table, Jotunn leans in by Henri's seat and whispers in his ear, "Hey, if this is the type of pampering you noble types get all the time, I could get used to this.
Once this Lebeau business is done and we got that land, let me know if you need a master at arms."


The Dwarf then takes his seat and awaits his food.

For my advances took another wound and +10 to agility So my WS, A, W, and agi are all taken care of for this career. Just need 5 int and 10 BS.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Your friendly croctopus overlord LP'er


Archibald Middlemoot

As Archibald relaxes, he decides it is time to push himself further, He is on a an adventure, and while his legal talents may not be much needed, his ability to read and write are what makes him useful to the group. He pulls out pen and paper and begins to write down what he has experienced so far, writing a graphic description of the inbreds in the village and the mad wizard who seems to be experimenting on them. candles burned down and ink stained fingers.

The others may think him mad, but this is what relaxes him. Knowledge is power, and the creators of knowledge can have as much power as those who wield an axe.


I think I'm going to shoot for a career change - paying 100xp to jump to Scholar (the only trappings are writing kit, so I think I'm good to go) I'll then drop 100 to get +5 AG and another to get +5 int.

Yes, I'm shooting for wizard. I'll change up my sheet once I get the OK on the career change.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

I think I'm going to shoot for a career change - paying 100xp to jump to Scholar (the only trappings are writing kit, so I think I'm good to go) I'll then drop 100 to get +5 AG and another to get +5 int.

I think you can only do a career change if you've finished your advance scheme on your major and minor attributes on your first career, and on careers after that you have to complete the advance scheme and get the talents and skills. You just can't get the trappings and change the career when you want. That is what seems to be implied on pages 27 and 28.

Though I might be totally wrong on that.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Nope! You can change to any non-exit basic career for 200 XP at any time. If it says 'BASIC' in the tab in the career compendium, then you can switch to it at any time for 200 XP.



Note the 'non-exit' part there, though; since Scholar is an exit for Litigant, it's unfortunately not an option until the Litigant profile is completed.

Since Apprentice Wizard is a basic career, you COULD spend 200 XP to jump right into it.. but it says in the text halflings and dwarves aren't allowed to become wizards.

But since when do I listen to that bullshit?

John Dyne fucked around with this message at Oct 6, 2017 around 14:21

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Huh. I might redo my expenditures if I can find a basic exit career I like that I just so happen to have the trappings for. Maybe mercenary.

I always thought you had to complete your career to exit, regardless of it being an exit career or not.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Well, not everyone wants to stay a poo poo farmer forever.

Though I will say I'm not gonna allow EVERYONE to be friggin' wizards. I already ran that game once and while it did have a Halfling wizard propel himself through a window through the sheer force of his Tzeentchian farts, it's not a thing I want to try again soon.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Your friendly croctopus overlord LP'er

Dammit, I completely misread how careers work - although its not written clearly anywhere I can see. I also completly forgot the no halflings in the collages of magic rule.

Right, I'll take Agility and two wounds, and leave the bit in as a bit of character development.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Nah dude, go ahead and be a wizard. I'll allow it. Stranger poo poo has happened in Moussilon.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010


Royalty is a continuous cutting motion


At this point, it would take a lot more to shock the Colleges than a Halfling applying for entry.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

isn't it because halflings have pure souls or something and can't tap into the warp? I remember that was not an issue with my halfling vampire because the source of the magic wasn't chaos or something.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users


Archibald confirmed for yet another wizard in disguise.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



After some time passes, Diomedes knocks on each and every door, announcing to the guests that the evening meal has been prepared and his lord is ready to entertain. Aucassin stands at the head of a large table of ancient wood that has been well tended, his hand on his chair bearing an engraving of his coat of arms. He smiles warmly, the fireplace in the room cutting the chill of the Mousillon night, and he gives a courteous bow. "Welcome, my friends. It is an honor to welcome you properly to the Chateau Hane, and to Mousillon itself. I pray you find me a diamond of nobility in a duchy that has fallen so far from grace." He moves to Cat's chair and pulls it out for her, giving her a charming smile. The rest of the group has their chairs moved out for them by various members of Aucassin's staff, and he sits only after pushing in Cat's chair for her.

With a clap of his hands, the staff scuttles off and returns with several of the men bearing a large silver platter with a massive roast boar upon it, already carved for easy serving. Following them are other members of the staff carrying roasted and grilled vegetables, fried pheasants, and a broad variety of other foods to hopefully appeal to each of his guests. "And, for our friend from the Moot, I implored one of my chefs to make you a boar and potato pie. I hope it is to your liking, madam." He chuckles as the pie is set before the Halfling, and he makes himself a small plate while the rest tend to their meals. Sitting at the opposite end of the table near the fire is a handsome young man with long hair and a serious look upon his face; part of the table has remained clear for him, and it is cluttered with books and papers, and he sits hunched over a parchment, staring with frustration at the paper. Those close enough can see loping and elegant handwriting, but little has been written to the page.

"Oh, how rude of me. My friends, this is Bertand of Aquitine, a renowned poet whom I have adopted into my court. His prose is divine, elegant and subtle; this man does not craft the chansons that my peers love so, but romantic and epic tales to thrill the heart and soul." At mention of his name, the poet glances up in surprise, and gives a nervous smile. "I am charmed, certainly. Lord Aucassin, I apologize for my distance, but this newest poem has me at wit's end."

The lord chuckles, chewing on a small bite of boar meat. "Bertrand is privy to bouts of frustration over a single line of his work. His dedication to his craft means he has few works to his name, in comparison to other poets, but no other poet has such beautiful prose." Bertrand grins at the praise from Aucassin before turning back to his work, his brow furrowing.

Diomedes stalks around the table behind a small group of serving boys, each bearing bottles of wine and other spirits, watching them like a hawk. Aucassin is the last to be served, and he selects an aged white wine, swirling his goblet before taking a long sip. "Please, take as much time as you wish dining. I can only imagine what rations you have eaten about your journey. Enjoy yourselves, and then we must discuss this LeBeau character."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013


Jotunn Heavy-Hand

Jotunn digs into the boar with a side of the roasted vegetables, the later of the two being quite a delicacy for the Dwarf used to living underground where the only thing that grows is mushrooms. He helps himself quite generously to the wine being passed around. When the lord has special pies brought out jut for the halflings, Jotunn can't help but roll his eyes and go on edge. Especially the way he was doting on Cat made Jotunn check his feet to make sure his axe was within easy reach. Not that Jotunn thought he had to defend the halfling; he saw her fight, and she's quite capable of defending her own honor. Jotunn just wanted to be ready if it went to a fight.

Ignoring the pervy noble's actions, Jotunn asks a question between bites of roasted carrots. "Now you said that LeBeau ... passed himself off as a merchant? What ... made you think he was?
Was he traveling ... with a group of people he said was his caravan, or was he ... dressed like some merchant? Anything ye can tell us will help."

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Your friendly croctopus overlord LP'er


Archibald Middlemoot

Archibald sits at the table and tucks into the food with gusto.

"You do me a great honour, good sir. It is true, we have been gastronomically challenged over the past weeks, I won't even go into the apples. It is nice to find a bastion of culinary skills in the wilderness."

Turning to the poet, he asks. "And a poet to boot! This is civilization incarnate! I must say, I have not read any of your works, do you happen to have a a copy I could read? I am always on the lookout to improve myself!"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cat Hogberry-Patch

Cat is, indeed, most flattered by the attention. She really has next to no idea what to make of Aucassin's efforts, nor any reasons he might have for making them, though it's easy to see that the boar and potato pie brings sparkles to her eyes. As she tucks into the feast, she sighs with contentment, "Yer lordship, this chef of yer's izza treasure. A right treasure. I ent seen a pie like this since I left Saeurapfel, that's Esmerelda's own truth it is. The crust's got bite, but iz meltin' in yer mouth... The gravy's got some kick ta it, herbs 'n spices givin' it some real depth... To say nuffin of the meat and taters at that, all juicy and tender-like..."

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users



Greyleaf

The elf savored every piece of food that was offered to him, as even the mere presence of heated food was manna from heaven after their first days in Moussillon.
He listened to the talks from the sidelines, guessing that interjecting, and maybe insulting the host here, and now, would not be a smart move.

Sorry, been bit busy with.. a game that most certifiably isn't about ninjas in space. Confirming that Moussillon is cursed: Greyleaf gained FELLOWSHIP by being in this godsforsaken swamp.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010


Royalty is a continuous cutting motion


Henri de Vienne


Dressed in his only set of remotely courtly clothing, Henri eats slowly, giving his host due attention. "Lord Aucassin, I am sure I speak for us all when I say that Chateau Hane is as an oasis in the desert to us." When the meal began to wind down, he turned to the reason for their presence. "While I would have made the trip had I known such company existed here," exaggerated Henri in the proper Bretonnian manner, "you are correct in that we have a duty to perform. Guido LeBeau is a thief, a murder, and an anarchist with no respect for the proper order of society. He has accosted noble women in their own homes, murdered soldiers of the King and Duke, and stolen from the household of Duke Adalhard himself. While I am sure the Duke would enjoy meeting out justice personally... I don't think he would mind if we were to expedite the process."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Aucassin smiles politely at the compliments, bowing his head respectively and giving a low chuckle. "Please, you are all too kind. I know too well of the horrors out there in the swamps, and it absolutely a joy to have guests of a higher stature than the norm." He looks towards Henri and bows his head once more. "And it is particularly an honor to offer aid to one of the Lady's fine knights. Had I scouts or proper watchmen, I would have heard of your arrival sooner and been better prepared."

Bertrand slides next to Archibald after a gesture from Aucassin, and the poet produces a scroll with fine, cramped writing on it; his poetry is not exactly what a halfling would typically read and enjoy, but Archibald might be able to see why Aucassin would like it. Aucassin looks from Jotunn to Henri as they speak of the truth of LeBeau, and the nobleman sighs in resignation, placing the napkin in his lap onto the table over his plate. "Aye, M. LeBeau did tell me he was a merchant, and that he was in a hurry to reach Mousillon itself as one of his vessels had anchored there but come afoul of one of the storms that came in from the sea. He did have a letter showing ownership of such a ship, and so I merely took the man at his word and offered him my hearth and home. To discover he is an agitator and criminal most foul shames me deeply."

He frowns now, shaking his head. "His mannerisms were uncouth and his eyes furtive and secretive, but as he claimed to be a merchant, I assumed he was one in one of the lesser houses. I gave him a lame old black nag that we were preparing to slaughter to offer succor to some of the peasant folk, since their harvests and hunting have been meager, to say the least, and he gave over coin for the mare so.." He trails off in a shrug. "At least my people are fed, but to think I aided a man such as he." Aucassin's face darkens with anger and he gives another shake of his head.

"I know you are all in a hurry, but his horse was lame and it couldn't have bought him much time. Please, allow me to have you as my guests for the customary two days, and by then my knights shall return and you shall have their steeds. I am not short on wealth so I can afford to replace their horses, but I can assure you their destriers will shorten LeBeau's lead by at least a week. You would be naught but two days behind him, then, if even that."

The noble looks upon his guests expectantly, smiling warmly.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn


Soiled Meat


Gunnbjorn Magnusson


Gunnbjorn had been quiet ever since the mage's visit, seemingly fuming with long held in rage. Mages are bastards, and the way that one treated the peasants set him off more than usual. Thankfully by the time they've reached Aucassin he isn't as incredibly pissed anymore and doesn't take the man's head off for being an inconsolable Brettonian sot. Instead he broods for a while as he eats the presented food.


"Aye, we'll stay for a while. It would be...Good to spend some time resting before we go back into the marshes. I would like to know whats in the surroudning area. Any places he might stop and make camp at, or places that might present danger to us on the road."

Whoops I honestly thought this game was dead for a little while. Midterms didn't help that either. Taking a WS, Toughness and WP advance with my XP.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cat Hogberry-Patch

Cat is too lost in the throes of culinary bliss to immediately respond, but as she wipes her mouth free of crust and gravy, she pipes up with, "I'm wiv his beneficent lordishness on this one! Me mam didn't raise me ta turn down proper manners, hot foodstuffs, and suchlikes. 'Sides, it ent a bad idea ta get sum horseflesh 'neath us. Sir Henris is all shiny on his horse and that'd let alluv us make real good time trackin' down our man. Yeah? Yeah." She nods resolutely, like that settles the matter entirely.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010


Royalty is a continuous cutting motion


Henri de Vienne


It's obvious to everyone looking that Henri wants to accept Aucassin's offer, but he is still hesitant. "My lord, your assistance would be most honorably welcome. I do believe that we would make up any wait with good horses, and the rest would certainly do us good, but I also do not wish to speak for these yeomen." To the remainder of the group who have not spoken, he asks "What say the rest of you?"

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013


Jotunn Heavy-Hand

Jotunn isn't quite satisfied with the answer put out by the Lord. Either this LeBeau is of higher standing than their employer let on, or things weren't as they seemed.

On the other hand, he wasn't being paid to be a slueth.

"I thank ye for your offer, but we ain't being paid by the hour for this job. If his horse is that lame, then that means the quicker we can catch him, the quicker we get paid, and then the quicker I can get on to the next payin' gig."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Aucassin claps his hands together, smiling happily. "Excellent! I am sorry your dwarven friend is opposed to the stay, but I assure you, I am an excellent host and these destriers will more than make up for the lost day. You will need your rest, and as it stands, he is mounted while you are on foot; to pursue LeBeau will be folly, and without suitable mounts his lead will only grow." He circles around the table to clap a hand on Jotunn's shoulder. "You seem the mercenary type, my friend; would a job keep you here with your friends?"

The noble chuckles, motioning for a servant to bring him a chair, and he sits next to Jotunn; another member of the staff places a rolled up parchment in his hand, and he unseals it and rolls it out before Jotunn. He motions for his poet, and Bertrand stands. "Lord Aucassin has asked that I recite you one of my favorite works, titled simply.. Beauty." The man clears his throat, tucking his hands into the small of his back as he speaks.

"My eyes drown in your beauty
And my brain roils as I try to comprehend your glamor
I then pull out the bottle's cork
And sipping on the heavenly Port.
Bless the Lady! Bless the Fay Enchantress!
Until such time that the Sun should die
that which I profess to which I regress?
Reality is a staircase leading nowhere.
Summer burns on, and my longing grows.."


Meanwhile, Aucassin speaks to Jotunn in a hushed voice, unable to be heard above Bertrand's recitation. "There is a man who lives in the village nearby who has murdered one of the people I have sworn to protect. As you know, my knights are away, and he is more heavily armed than the villagers can handle, but I doubt he would be a concern for you. I can pay you handsomely, as I take any harm to those under my protection as an insult to my honor. Diomedes has questioned the people, and they have described the man and my major domo has been kind enough to illustrate his findings."

He sits back so Jotunn can study the parchment, a fairly decent drawing of the man in question; Diomedes is apparently a very skilled artist. In contrast, the poem continues..

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn


Soiled Meat


Gunnbjorn Magnusson


Gunnbjorn has a moment between himself, the space hes in, his mental state and the ancestor's for a second. This...This was not poetry. He had listened to the Skalds play, same as every Norscan, and he had heard some spectacularly bad poetry about ice and snow and whatever. This was not poetry.

He sits up, astrally projects himself as far away from this situation as possible, and smiles at Bertrand. "That was...Awe inspiring. I do believe I need to use the restroom, but do not stop because I left." He then leaves the room, goes up a floor to the window and vomits.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users



Greyleaf

Greyleaf shared the Dwarf's sentiment, but lacked the social finesse in describing his feelings about the man's attempt at poetry.

"That certainly was something, alright. May I ask where did you study? I may have to visit that place after our mission here is complete" the elf asks, while pulling out his notebook with the list of people he has met in Moussillon, neatly organized with their quirks and possible saving graces (currently empty for all except their current host).

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cat Hogberry-Patch

Cat is lost in thought as Bertrand recites his work. The... inspired verse, shall we say, nonetheless has the effect of reminding her of her childhood and her own first glimpse of true beauty. It was a pie, of course, the figurative master's work that put her parent's pie shop on the map. The marriage of herbs, spices, root vegetables and gravy... Even now, years later, the mere thought of it set her mouth to watering.

She let out a sniffle, shoveled some more of the boar pie into her mouth, and then said, "Ye never do forget yer first, eh, Bertrandie? Reminds me of me own youth, it does."

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010


Royalty is a continuous cutting motion


Henri de Vienne

With years of practice in the treacherous depths of Lyonesse courtly intrigue, near-superhuman self control, and decades of breeding behind him, Henri manages to keep his face straight beyond a raised eyebrow. "Bertrand, I can safely say that I've never heard anything like it."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013


Jotunn Heavy-Hand

Jotunn looks at the parchment. "Where is this town and what is the pay?" Is all the Dwarf says, in a very matter of fact tone.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



The noble laughs, momentarily interrupting Bertrand's recitation, much to the poet's annoyance. He inclines his head towards the poet in apology before turning back to Jotunn. "It is the town nearest this side of the bridge, less than an hour and a half's walk. I will pay you either seventy gold coins, or allow you a piece of my armory; I may yet have armor or a weapon that would suit a man of your stature. My knights are fully equipped, so they will miss little."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013


Jotunn Heavy-Hand

It was a hard choice. Not doing the job, of course Jotunn would do it. The hard choice was between taking the gold or getting some equipment from the armory. He could really use some better armor. A Dwarf should be in metal, after all.

"Just give me a name and how you want proof of death and we have a deal."

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Your friendly croctopus overlord LP'er


Archibald Middlemoot

Archibald does his best to ignore the awful poetry, and tries to decide how to tactfully give pointers for improvement. Although it may be best to write the man off as a loss.

"My lord, We would of course be more than willing to aid in bringing a murder to justice,"

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Aucassin claps the dwarf on the shoulder once more and grins at him. "His name is Johann, and all you need is upon the parchment in your hand. I will show graciousness in accepting your trustworthiness in this manner, as I will learn one way or another of your victory or failure." By this point, Bertrand's poem has wrapped up, and he gives a slight bow before simply taking his seat to continue the scribbling. Diomedes, at some point during the dinner, has excused himself to tend to other matters with the housing staff.

The dinner concludes before the night draws on too long, and Aucassin stretches with a yawn. "Oh, do forgive me. It has been some time since I have had to entertain so many at once, it has taxed me more than I imagined!" The nobleman stands, planting his knuckles in the small of his back as he leans backwards. He moves to take Cat's chair for her as a gentleman would, smiling. "I will personally see you to your rooms before I allow myself to retire. It has been a most enjoyable evening, and I hope the lot of you agree."

With that, he allows the group a moment or two to stand and gather themselves before he leads them up the stairs, one hand tucked into the small of his back as he motions to the tapestries upon the wall. "Are these not gorgeous? There is a woman by the name of Berenice that creates these, a relative unknown in the realm of Bretonnia. But her work.. it is simply magnificent." Unlike Bertrand's poetry, Aucassin's praise certainly stands well for the tapestries; Henri, especially, can tell how finely woven and made they are, and each is almost a masterpiece in and of itself in regards to composition and use of color. The knight knows his own lord would likely go to war to have his own chansons put into such wonderful detail.

"Each one has been specially commissioned by this wonderful woman, and each shows a different scene through the history of Bretonnia. I have saved my favorite for my own chambers, showing Gilles le Breton as he is blessed by the Lady herself. Madam Berenice has made the image of the Lady something both divine and mundanely beautiful. Tomorrow, I would be more than happy to show you my favorites of her works."

Gunnbjorn only: While the noble fop speaks, Gunnbjorn lets his mind wander as he climbs the steps, chancing a glance out the nearby window. In the pale moonlight outside, Gunnbjorn believes he sees a thin, masculine figure wrestling with a slender, feminine figure as the man tries to drag the woman to one of the other wings of the tower. The scene is over quickly before the figures disappear around a corner from sight.

Before long, Aucassin has crested the final step, and he wipes a bead of sweat from his brow. "I wish each and every one of you a good night's rest. I will see to you again in the morning; I pray we can breakfast together before I must attend to the matters of my people. Master Jotunn, Diomedes will be able to send you upon your quest as soon as the sun is at high noon." The nobleman gives a fluid bow before turning to take his leave up the stairs to his own quarters.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn


Soiled Meat


Gunnbjorn Magnusson

Gunnbjorn blinks out at the night, startled by what he thinks he saw. The Norscan almost walks away, almost allows himself to think that it was just a trick of his mind. And if it wasn't, what of it? He was here to make money and do his job. Nothing more, nothing less. But as he walks up towards his chambers he remembers fire and smoke, the crying of the innocent and the braying of the hordes. His hands grip at the hilt of his sword and he rushes down the stairs, out into the courtyard where he saw the little drama take place.

"Gods, gods, gods this is stupid! Ancestory's watch over my foolish arse! Playing the hero am I? Gods."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004



Skag


Skag starts at their hosts' invitation to rise, his eyes reddened with the effect of the strong spirit and boar he had gorged himself on while the scrawny umgi droned interminably. Sleep in a genuine bed seems extremely appealing, even if it will likely be too soft.flea-ridden.

"You are the very soul of hospitality my lordship. *loud belching* And your patronage of the arts is generous nearly to the point of excess. I heartily look forward to breaking our fast with you. As to your little problem, never-" *Skag stifles another belch* "fear, we'll get that sorted right quick."

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«12 »