Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«9 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cat Hogberry-Patch

Cat flounces up the stairs with the others, her thoughts largely consumed with the bits and bobs she'd managed to stuff in her pockets on the way out of the dining hall. A growing halfling like herself needs a solid post-dinner snack plan, after all! Still, she's not so consumed as to miss the large, hairy Norscan bounding off who knows where on a mission to do who knows what. It, in fact, sounds like something interesting is afoot! She turns and races after him, calling out, "Heyo, Bjornie! What'd ya see that got ya all hot-footed? Izzit one of them frogwives castin' some sort of hoppy curse thingum?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Your friendly croctopus overlord LP'er


Archibald Middlemoot

"Good night, my lord. Thank you most kindly for you hospitality!" Archibald says as he retires to his room.

Time to relish one last night in a good bed.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Y'all have been offered two nights here. You get a whole 'nother day and night in the lap of luxury while Jotunn and whoever else run off to murder a guy.

I'll update with Gunnbjorn and Cat here in a few hours, since I don't guess anyone else is curious as to why the berserker just bolted off.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users


Yeah no, Greyleaf's gonna find himself a bottle of wine and go get some luxury sleep.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



The Guest Quarters

Aucassin is surprised by Gunnbjorn's sudden departure, and for a moment seems at a loss on what the proper decorum would be as he still is seeing his guests to their quarters. He clears his throat, smiling apologetically. "If you will grant me your leave, I must ensure your friend is alright. I pray it is simply a matter of nature.." He watches Cat slip off after the Norscan and runs a hand over his hair, standing up taller. "Oh, pay no mind to all that. Madam Cat seems to have taken after your friend for the same reasons." He chuckles, continuing the process of seeing each member of the group to their own quarters and offering them free reign of his amenities and luxuries so that they will be fully comfortable within his home.

Outside

Taking the steps almost three and four at a time, Gunnbjorn reaches the courtyard in a manner of minutes, squinting as his eyes adjust to the darkness. He glances up at the tower behind him, spotting the window he had looked out from and for a brief moment, he believes he sees a curtain higher up on the tower twitch back into place. Ignoring it for the moment, he looks out over the courtyard to figure out where, exactly, the two figures had disappeared to.

Right as he makes his decision, Cat emerges into the night behind him, her much smaller frame and shorter legs having made the journey a bit rougher; the same sprint had barely broken a sweat on the seasoned berserker, but Cat finds herself short on breath. Gunnbjorn wastes no time, crossing to the lower wing of the tower and trying the door, Cat trailing behind him. He throws the door open and stalks in, finding himself in the servant's quarters.

He hears no sounds of struggle or any cries for help, and finds himself being stared at in a mix of fear and confusion from the servants, some of whom had just awoken to handle any nightly duties while others are preparing for bed. Cat peers in through the door behind him, seeing the imposing figure that the furious Norscan busting into a room strikes; while fearful, none of the servants seem to have attempted to take to arms or otherwise defend themselves.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn



Gunnbjorn Magnusson

Gunnbjorn grimaces in rage as he looks at the servants. Hells hells hells! Had he picked the wrong door? He gives Cat a quick glance before he grabs one of the servants by the neck and lifts him up.

"A woman was pulled into a door near here against her will. You will tell me if you saw anything, or you will not enjoy what happens next."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013


Jotunn Heavy-Hand

As the Lord leads everyone off to bed Jotunn is a little anxious about getting to work the next day, but that anxiety fades when Archibald and the slayer chime in about helping. "Hey now,
the lord here came to me with this proposition, not ye all! If this ruffian is someone I can right deal with I don't need hangers on who'll demand a piece of MY payment. Lebeau we're all splittin' but unless the Lord here is under selling the seriousness of his problem, I don't think I'll need ya!"


The Dwarf ignores whatever is going on with the Berserker. None of his business, and unlike others in the group, Jotunn don't stick his nose where it ain't asked to be. Keep your nose longer that way.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cat Hogberry-Patch

Cat looks askance at the berserker, then shrugs dramatically, "Ya know, Bjornie, I'm betten these fine folkish types ent about ta lie to a big ol' fuzzbeast like yerself. Why, I bets if you putter down, them folk'll be singin' like wee little birdy-birds." She looks pointedly at the most suspicious looking servant, then loudly adds, "Ent that right, boyo? Let's all just get this nastiness sorted 'n get a good night sleep and we'll be outta yer smallhairs afore you know it."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



The servant screws his eyes shut and turns his head away from Gunnbjorn, and the berserker can feel the man trembling in his hand. The other servants cast their eyes away, and when Cat addresses one directly, he jumps. "Um, well.."

A short silence fills the air before the door at the far end of the chamber opens up, and Aucassin's major-domo enters, leaning on an oaken cane to move quicker in spite of his limp; his eyebrows raise as he see the Norscan manhandling one of his staff. Diomedes scowls, stalking forward without a shred of fear towards Gunnbjorn, raising his cane as if to whallop the man. Before he can halfway cross the room, a young woman pokes through the doorway, her eyes red from crying. The lad Cat had address speaks quickly, finally putting two and two together.

"T'was Lisset, sir! The new girl! Ser Diomedes had caught her shrikin' her duties and flirtin' wi' one of the swampiares! She ent s'posed to be doin' naught but scrubbin' the pots in the kitchen!"

Diomedes pauses, his cane still held threateningly into the air, and after a moment he barks a short laugh, grinning at the Norscan. He lowers the cane and rests his weight on it, motioning for Gunnbjorn to set the poor lad down. "My most humble apologies, it's embarrassing for a guest of the master to be privy of the private dramas of his staff. Jacques speaks the truth, however; Miss Lisset.." He turns his head to glare pointedly at the woman in the door, and she turns pale, shrinking back into the hallway. ".. had left after eating her dinner and had chosen to succumb to the advances of some pompous fool who fancies himself a romantic from the nearby village." He brushes his thinning hair from his face and sighs, his face tired. "One of the other lasses was sore she had to pick up Lisset's work and told me where to find her. I am sorry you had to see that, though it is heartwarming to see that you lot so care for the well-being of strangers."

He gives a slight bow, his back creaking as he does. "I plan to inform Master Aucassin of her lax behavior on the morrow; this isn't her first time acting as such, and the master will decide if she is to be let go. She may leave this night to return to her father, since I know his health sits foremost on her mind so much that she cannot focus on her work." The dour old man seems to warm up slightly as he says this, shaking his head with a sigh. He looks about the room and firms back up, turning back to Gunnbjorn and Cat.

"I do hope this incident isn't a blemish upon your stay here, sir and madam. I am firm with my people as the good Lord Aucassin deserves the very best, and gives as best he can in return. If there is nothing else, I can personally attend to you back to your chambers."

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn



Gunnbjorn Magnusson

Gunnbjorn looks incredibly unimpressed by the old man threatening him with a cane, though he does note that the Major Domo does look like hes seen his fair share of battles. He sighs and shakes his head, remembering to drop the poor servant.
"That won't be necessary. I'd be more than happy to escort Miss Lisset home. The hellish swampland here is dangerous at night, and it'd give me something to do besides sit in the castle and listen to that drat poet."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Diomedes is quiet as he looks Gunnbjorn square in the eyes, and after a moment he glances the man over, his gaze obviously lingering on whatever tattoos and markings the berserker has bared. He snorts, folding one hand over the other on top of the head of his cane, his brow furrowed. "Certainly either of us would be grateful for your assistance, friend, but you are a guest. You needn't worry yourself. Her village is not even an hour from here by foot, and she has shown little fear for traipsing about the edge of the swamp on her own as of late." He grins faintly at this late statement, his eyes still locked with the Norscan's.

"Forgive me, but as it stands, if Miss Lisset wishes an escort, she will wait until morning. Or she can run off with one of my scullery boys, as I'm sure one might steal away with her in the night after a few bats of her eyelashes." He bristles and turns to glare at a few of the assembled staff, who flinch and go back to doing whatever it was they might have doing, or at least faking it.

"And before you argue, sir, know that my decision in this matter is final. I respect that you are guests of the good Lord Aucassin, and I truly respect your concern for the poor girl, but the private matters of his house and staff are of no concern for..." He trails off for a moment, rotating a hand to indicate towards Gunnbjorn as he tries to come up with a diplomatic way to explain himself. "..gentlemen such as yourself." He seems to have forgotten about Cat's presence at the moment.

"So please, allow me to fetch you a flagon and escort you back to your chambers. A gentleman such as yourself needn't fuss and should enjoy the luxuries Lord Aucassin offers, as they are limited here in Mousillon." He half-turns, flapping his hand at a thin lad no older than thirteen, sending him running off towards the kitchen presumably to fetch drink for Gunnbjorn. "Come. Edgar will catch up with us. I apologize again for all that you've had to bear this evening."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cat Hogberry-Patch

While the berserker's character was called into question and he was harangued by the logical and authoritative tones of the major-domo, Cat took advantage of her diminutive stature and the general stealthiness borne of a lifetime of knicking pies off of windowsills to sneak into the hallway where Lisset is. Tugging gently on the servant girl's skirt, she tried to maneuver her a little bit out of view of the fracas so they could have a candid chat between womenfolk.

Peering up at the girl's eyes, Cat held up a finger in that universal sign of "please don't make any noise, I don't think anyone wants that guy on their case." After a moment, she said, "So izzet like that whatsit Diomedicus fellow said it is? Cause, yanno, fer lookin' like a bear put onna mansuit, Bjornie ent that bad. He's a big ol' softie when he ent chokin' out the little guys. When he saw you gettin' hauled a bit back, he took off like he was gonna miss out on dinner. So iffen you need some help, mebbe me and that fuzzball Norscan can sort ya out right."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



During the debacle between Diomedes and Gunnbjorn, Cat is able to slip past Diomedes and into the far hallway where Lisset waits. The other servants notice her passage, but between the majordomo's current mood and Cat's general politeness, they don't make any effort to alert the old man. Up close, Cat can see that Lisset is a very pretty woman, with fair skin, blonde hair, and green eyes.

Lisset glances down to the Halfling and sniffs, wiping at her eyes with the long sleeves of her dress. Her voice is very heavily accented, compared to the softer accent of Aucassin and Diomedes. "Master Diomedes is not lying.. I.. did not expect to be working so much." She barks a short laugh before closing her eyes, slumping against the wall. "I had thought I would clean for Lord Aucassin, but no! I clean for everyone! I do not have the noble's attentions, I do not have ANYONE'S attentions but the swampiare who poaches upon these lands. And I do not love him, but he is fun, no?"

She throws her hands up in a dramatic expression of frustration, letting out a short sentence in a language that sounds very pretty; Cat, however, has enough experience in such matters to know profanity when she hears it. "I had dreamed to become the duchess alongside Duke Aucassin, but non! I scrub the pots for the other servants! I do nothing that puts me near the handsome lord! Is this fair, do you think?!" Cat does not have time to even think of a response before the fiery young woman pushes away from the wall. "Non! It is not! Why am I, so pretty as I am, ruining my hands for the pleasure of men who are not nobles? It would break my father's heart!"

After a moment, she remembers that Cat is actually in the hallway with her and looks back down to her. "I do not need your hairy beast man's help. If I wish to head home tonight, I will head home tonight. The swampiare will help me, if I ask. And he, at the very least, knows of perfume." She gives the Halfling an unkind smile, tossing her hair back over her shoulder. "But I do not expect you to understand such finer things." She chuckles into the back of her hand before rudely turning away, hiking her skirt slightly to move more quickly down the hall.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cat Hogberry-Patch

Cat's face looks like she's bitten into a particularly rotten piece of fruit as she listens to Lisset's... everything. Barely managing to claim a final word as the servant girl stomps off, she says, "Well, at least me mum raised me right. I ent callin' you out fer yer lower brain thinkin' fer ya, am I? And I do know what perfume is, you sot, it just makes me all sneezy 'n such." She crosses her arms, grumpily looking at Lisset swishing down the hallway, then looks back at the Norscan. It would be real easy to just go back to her room, but... Well, even if she was a real bitch, Lisset might be in trouble. Cat sighs softly to herself, "Y'ain't gonna be thanked fer this, yanno. But it ent right to just give up."

Utilizing her skills honed in the wilds, she sneaks behind the servant girl. It'd just take a few moments to see her back to... wherever she was off to, then maybe she could nip by the kitchens for a little bit of a nightcap.

Sneaking after Lisset! (Silent Move TN=60): 1d100 45

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users



Greyleaf

Greyleaf decided against running after everyone and instead retired to his quarters, to get some sleep.
The elf had managed to scam, steal and or hustle from the servants a perfectly good nightcap of a full bottle of wine and was currently drinking it like a hungry fawn would drink from its mother.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Your friendly croctopus overlord LP'er


Archibald Middlemoot

Archibald rolls over in bed.

"grumblnrt. I object your honor. the blueberry pie is innoce.... ZZZZZZZ."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Cat follows after young Lisset, keeping to the shadows amidst the tapestries and various pieces of standing art amongst the keep. The woman is very unpolite to the very servants she encounters, but nevertheless, she makes it to her quarters fine, slamming the door shut behind her. Before getting her nightcap and nightpie, the Halfling finds her way back to Gunnbjorn to signal him that everything is hunky dory, and the berserker relents, letting Diomedes fetch him a basket bottle of mead and entreat him back to his room.

Gunnbjorn spies Cat returning as he watches Diomedes leave, carrying what amounts to a light snack for a Halfling and a modest meal for most humans. Satisfied that Cat made it back safely, the Norscan retires to his bed. Through the night, the servants continue to quietly bustle about the manor, tending to their duties and, as morning approaches, preparing a breakfast for the adventurers. As the sun begins to crest, Aucassin himself arrives to rouse the tired group, apologizing for the early rise.

"I wished to break fast with you this morning, but I have received an urgent call from my northernmost villages; they had sent a man to us through the night to warn of Grey Men rising from the swamps to attack my peasants. With my knights a day away, I intend to ride forth myself and gather my men at arms from the villages around to send them to handle the threat. I will be gone for much of the day, but please, honor me by joining me for our morning meal."

Downstairs, the table is once more set with a massive fare of breakfast foods, with a variety of eggs, hot cereal, sausages, and everything else that is part of a complete breakfast. For Cat and Archibald, the chef has prepared a massive stack of pancakes, heaped with butter and with simple syrup to the side, and for the dwarves, pork chops have been fried up and served with blood pudding, tomatoes, and beans. Aucassin sits at the head of the table once more, snacking lightly on berries and other finger-food sized fruits, while letting his guests take first shot at the feast before them.

After a moment, Diomedes sidles into the room, locking eyes with Gunnbjorn for a moment before taking a seat next to his master, joining in the meal. "My lord, the staff are currently tending to our guests' quarters, cleaning them and supplying them with fresh linens. They should be free to retire back to their rooms should they so choose after our meal."

"Most excellent news, Diomedes. You and your staff should be commended for your dutifulness." The old dour man about blushes at this praise, before clearing his throat and speaking low enough only the nearby Cat and Archibald can hear.

For the halflings and anyone with enhanced hearing: "M'lord, there is also the matter of Madam Lisset. I know you wished to delay matters with her, but her insubordination must be dealt with."

Lord Aucassin's face sours very briefly at Diomedes' words and he shakes his head at the man before gesturing to the bacon, which Diomedes dutifully heaps on to his plate for him.


All fortune and fate points should be reset now, and everyone should be at full health, though I don't think anyone had been wounded yet.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at Nov 16, 2017 around 17:34

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010


Royalty is a continuous cutting motion


Henri de Vienne


Henri looks annoyingly well-rested compared to those members of the party who chose to tromp about the estate at night, and after greeting Aucassin even goes out of his way to give some sort of meaningless pleasantry to the servants concerning the quality of the meal. When the lord mentions a possible fight, the knight immediately perks up. "My lord, it would be my honor to accompany you on your journey. As we will not be leaving until your knights return, I can hardly sit idle while my host rides to battle."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013


Jotunn Heavy-Hand

Jotunn rouses with a satisfied yawn, having slept well the previous night. Wile all this sitting around idle wasn't making him any coin, he could get used to this type of living. Maybe get himself attached as a house guard to a place like this? Live this life of nice beds, good food, simple jobs of killing peasants. Well, he wouldn't make any such decisions until after they finished this Lebeau business.

When the Lord mentions riding north, Jotunn is hopeful, and when the fool knight offers to ride with him, Jotunn is pleased. Yes, let them all ride north, the Jotunn can go and kill this simpleton the Lord asked him to kill the night before alone. No way was he splitting the pay for what should be a simple job.

And it better be simple. If the lord was setting him up, the lord better hope this guy kills Jotunn. Because if the dwarf survives, he'll make sure to take advantage of the knights being gone to rip this posh idiot a new rear end in a top hat.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004



Skag


A well rested Skag greets the sight of the expansive spread with an open grin, and begins tucking into the pork chops with a will. "Your hospitality is beyond compare my lord!"

As Henri speaks, Skag interjects- "I think we've already got a job to do for his lordship. Though if you need our assistance with these monsters as well, we'd all be happy to oblige. Could be a fun challenge for the halfling god of war, eh Archibald?"

With this Skag winks at the halfling and bites into a blood sausage.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn



Gunnbjorn Magnusson

Gunnbjorn, still somewhat sour from the night before, is eager for a chance to prove his honor to these muckswelling southerners. At least the soft men of the Empire had the loving sense to live somewhere where the ground wasn't slightly hard water.
"If you need an extra sword against the bastards, I'd be willing to lend mine. We've barely had a decent scrape since we got here. Does the Ancestors no good if their protection isn't used."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



For a moment, Aucassin looks awed, and he bows his head to his guests. "Your generosity knows no bounds, my friends, but alas, I can not risk my guests against the horrors of this land. My people are well versed in combat against the Grey Men, and while I hold no doubts of your prowess, I fear for your loss against the creatures. These are my lands and my people that I defend and that are at risk, and it would shame me deeply to ask your aide or see you lost for my own fight."

He motions to Jotunn as he speaks. "Master Jotunn here deals with a threat that comes from outside my lands, and for all that I know, the man he will slay today may well be LeBeau himself, Lady smile upon you that he is. But the Grey Men are Mousillon's hatred for mankind made manifest, elemental creatures of the swamp and murk. We have weapons made specially to fight them, and they are unwieldy, and not a single one can be lost or damaged lest we be greatly weakened." He looks pleadingly to the group, which gives stir to Diomedes, who simply scowls at his plate. "So please, honor my wishes and remain here. I would be a terrible host to have my guests fight my battles or be harmed in my defense."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cat Hogberry-Patch

While the rest of her merry band of comrades engage in some sort of bizarre male show of generosity-slash-dick-measuring-contest, Cat is more than pleased to avail herself of the immense and quite tasty breakfast that their host has provided for their consumption. While scholars haven't quite determined what foul magicks let the average halfling consume so much food despite their petite frame, it seems clear that Cat is exceptional even for her kinfolk as she shovels flapjack after slab of ham after steaming mug of whatever hot beverage their host has seen fit to provide into the gaping void that rests upon her face.

Of course, her culinary bliss isn't enough to stop Cat from hearing the dire plot shaping up against the shrewish hag, Lisset, and confirmation of Bjornie's greatest fears. She meets Archibald's eyes briefly, trying to see if he heard what she did, then slips out of her seat to apparently sample the spread that lies on the tables by the dwarves and the hairier of the humans. As she grabs a blood sausage and starts to gnaw at it, she whispers to the Norscan, "Eyo, Bjornie, it's soundin' like that Diomedicus fella is gonna be makin' a move on what's-'er-face sooner than not, iffen you get my drift. Mebbe a good day to go skulkin', yeah?"

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Your friendly croctopus overlord LP'er


Archibald Middlemoot

Archibald sighs at Skags comment. The food is good, but he needs to respond in some way.

"I can see I am going to be paying for a long time for my little bout of overexcitement."

Overhearing the servent and Cat he joins in in a whisper.

"Is this another thing we need to be worring about? Is the honour of a serving girl going to be impunged by the terrible poet?"

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn



Gunnbjorn Magnusson

Gunnbjorn grimaces and gives a side long glare in the direction of the major domo. "[b]I'm not much for sneaking. Pretty easy to notice a big oaf like me. If you could stick close to them and call me in if things get hairy, it'd be much appreciated.[/b["

He sighs and works on devouring the food in front of him, always keeping an eye on Diomedes as he does. If/when the man leaves Gunnbjorn waits for a few moments before he gets off and wanders off in that general direction.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010


Royalty is a continuous cutting motion


Henri de Vienne


Henri looks sidelong at the others as they mutter about some sort of underhanded behavior. "What is this? Have you been skulking about our host's estate?" Henry leans back and gives an exasperated sigh. "Whatever fool scheme you have in mind, just let it go. It is not the place of a guest to inform his host on the running of his affairs. I plan on accompanying Jotunn," and here he holds up a hand "and don't worry, I won't take any of your pay."

Assuming that we can have private-ish conversations at this point.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cat Hogberry-Patch

Cat takes a moment to make sure that none of their hosts are paying attention to her, then makes a rude noise and a very rude gesture at Henri. She shrugs, "I ent about ta expect a fancy-pants shiny sot like yerself ta understand what its like ta not be all fancy and shiny. Go feckin' murder someone iffen you want and leave the do-goodery ta the only ones who seem ta care about the little guys 'n gals."

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Your friendly croctopus overlord LP'er


Archibald Middlemoot

"Soooo, we're splitting into Team Murder and Team Honour?" Archibald asks waving a fork around. "That sounds like it could lead to trouble!"

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users



Greyleaf
Greyleaf was withrawn, his even normally pale complexion was replaced with a face as white as a sheet.
His arms were shaking like a pensioners and every sound that he heard felt like they were explosions

"Could you, kindly, not breathe so loudly, please?" he begged "I feel somewhat hungover"

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Aucassin sighs, dabbing at the corner of his mouth with a napkin as he stands, giving Diomedes a pointed look. While he hadn't caught all of the whispering or pointed glances in his majordomo's direction, Gunnbjorn's glares had been enough. "My honored guests, I do wholly apologize that some of you had to be privy to the behind the scenes dealings of keeping a household such as mine functional and fluid. It is incredibly embarrassing and humbling, and I know there are those among you who concern yourself for Madam Lisset." He pauses, closing his eyes as he takes a slow, deep breath.

"Madam Lisset did wonderfully the first week she had been here, but the life of a serving girl did not suit her. There is no bad blood between the two of us, and as of this morning, I have paid her severance and sent her on her way with an escort of two of my men at arms. For those of you unaware, Master Gunnbjorn.." Aucassin gestures towards the Norscan, giving him a warm smile. ".. saw what, to him, was a woman being dragged against her will into the lower quarters of the tower. I have deep respect for this man, risking his life and limb in an unknown situation for a woman he has never met and may never truly know, and I am greatly thankful that he would do so much for those who would matter so little to others."

The lord stands tall now, tossing his napkin to the table. "I had intended to speak with him privately over this matter, to give him my thanks, but Diomedes cannot let matters rest." He gives the majordomo a meaningful look, and the old man casts his eyes down in shame. "Diomedes did act inappropriately, yes, to my shame and dishonor. A man's workers reflect upon him, and I am no tyrant." He looks over the table for a moment, sighing and closing his eyes as he steps away. "I apologize once more, particularly for ending my presence at this meal on such a sour note. I will see you all on the evening, when I return with the head of one of the Grey Men. It is knowing the risk a man like Gunnbjorn would take that I cannot accept your assistance. It would do me no small dishonor to cause the loss of one who would be so heroic and could do so much more than end his life at the hands of some monstrous entity borne of the swamps."

Diomedes stands as his master speaks, skulking away into a side passage. Aucassin turns back to his guests and gives them a very formal bow. "The castle is yours while I am away on this duty. Please, feast as you like, and return to your quarters for some rest. I will have my master of hunts come about, for we may have boar remaining to release for a game hunt."

With that, Aucassin leaves for his armor fitting, leaving the adventurers at the table on their own.


HOLIDAYS

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cat Hogberry-Patch

Cat smiles a smile suggesting unparalleled restraint, good cheer, and general adorability towards their noble host. The moment he breaks eye contact and turns to leave, she leans back towards Gunnbjorn and whispers, "It's like me mam always said when the pies'd go missin' on the sill. Ye gotta trust in yer fellow halflin', but check his fingers ent purple from yer blueberry pies." A brief moment, then she clarifies her metaphor. "We gotta get all sneaky like and figgur out what ent smellin' right."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



With Aucassin gone, the meal continues; Diomedes excuses himself, limping off to tend to the kitchens, while the various maids and servants continue to dote upon their guests, bringing mulled cider and other warmed beverages, as well as delicate pastries to end the meal with. One such maid places an entire platter of almond-paste filled delights in front of Gunnbjorn, giving him the warmest smile he's received in quite some time. She hides her face with the serving dish and ducks away quickly before she can be questioned, scurrying rapidly back towards the kitchen.

Cat, sidled up next to Gunnbjorn conspiratorially, eyes the pastries and notices what looks like a scrap of paper hidden beneath the mountain of dessert. She pulls it and one of the pastries free, scarfing down the treat while unfolding the paper. In her hands she has a decent drawing of the exterior of the tower drawn in charcoal, with a large X drawn over one of the exterior windows on the third floor; the details on the banners outside lead Gunnbjorn to believe that the window has to be on the western side of the tower, as he recalls the banner from the night before when he went after the girl being dragged aside.

Reaching for another pastry, Cat finds herself biting into something metal, and quickly pulls the foreign object out of her mouth; it is a fairly nondescript copper key. It's obvious someone is reaching out to them, but to what ends, and why?

Meanwhile, Jotunn has a mildly impressive sack of coins set before him by one of the stewards. "A modest show of gratitude from the Lord Aucassin, sire, and a means to perhaps gain the assistance of unwilling people without spending your own coin. He wishes you luck in your endeavor, and prays he hears a grand tale of battle at this evening's meal." The steward inclines his head and steps back.


INTRIGUE.

I figure at this point we'll be splitting the party at least two ways, one with Cat and Gunnbjorn into their Meddling Kids plot, and one with Jotunn and whoever else wants to beat up some random rear end in a top hat for fun and profit.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn



Gunnbjorn Magnusson

Gunnbjorn sighs and puts his heads in his hands as he sees this loving Sherlock Holmes rear end nonsense. This Nancy Drew mystery level bullshit that seemed so silly that Tzeentch had to have come up with this poo poo.

"I am far, far too old, too tired and too prone to anger for this poo poo." He gives Cat a long suffering gaze and rolls his shoulders. "You'll have to be my guide in this, halfling. I'm not accustomed to skulking about."

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010


Royalty is a continuous cutting motion


Henri de Vienne


Henri stood and bowed to the departing lord, glaring at the others to do as manners commanded, before taking his seat to finish his meal. As the steward delivered the commissioned funds to Jotuun he stood to join him, pausing only to add a last admonishment. "No foolishness from the rest of you. This is Lord Aucassin's home and it is his right to manage it as he sees fit." With that, he departed to don his armor and weapons.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cat Hogberry-Patch

Cat can't help the grin that slowly consumes her face as she almost chows down upon a key. A mystery! It had been far too long since one had crossed her path. Pocketing the key and nomming on a few more delicious desserts, she swallows then quietly says, "Ye betcha, Bjornie! It ent the first time I've been doin' a spot o' meddlin'." She looks at the rest of their motley crew, then sighs. "Normally I'd be sayin' we should split up ta cover more ground, but I ent thinkin' that'll work this time. But itsa deal! You can smashem anything that looks attus crossways, 'n I'll handle the sneakening."

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn



Gunnbjorn Magnusson

Gunnbjorn waves off Henri and the rest of the party as they go off to gallivant against some peasants. "Have fun in the muck!" He then turns to Cat and taps the window with an X a few times.
"It seems to me we need to find the room that window connects to. I think that our key might help us in that."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cat Hogberry-Patch

Cat eyes Gunnbjorn thoughtfully, "Ye sure ye haven't done this afore? That's some top class thinkin' it is."

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn



Gunnbjorn Magnusson

Gunnbjorn shrugs. "Back home, up in cold, you had to be smart. Lots of things could get you. Winter: Kills you, other tribes: kills you, things in snow: kills you, Them: kills you. And when we came down south, you either had to be very smart or very dumb. Too little of either with no balance, ehhh, you end up not very alive."

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users



Greyleaf

The elf had finally recovered from his hangover enough to realize he was left basically alone at the table. Figuring that getting paid trumps getting laid; he catches up with Squad Stab-a-man of Henri and Jotunn.
"So, any bets if this guy Lord Aucassin wants the Dwarf to kill is Le Beau?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013


Jotunn Heavy-Hand

Jotunn laughs when Greyleaf speaks, "Nah Elgi, we wouldn't be that lucky for this little bandit to be the arse we're looking for. I reckon he's likely going to be more trouble than that lord is lettin' on though" He looks at those assembled, that ain't whispering a conspiracy in the corner. "Aye, if any of ye want to join me, come along. Do know that when we get paid for this I'm planning to take from this lord's armory if he has some decent plate; this leather armor is for someone more agile than I. But if his arsenal has nothing worth takin' I'll accept the payment. I'll split it evenly, after a little off the top for my 'origination fee'. So who is willing to do sanctioned murder for profit?"

Sorry on the delay. I thought this game had died, and then it revived itself what good while I was out of town this weekend. Lets kill this rear end in a top hat

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«9 »