Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«9 »
  • Post
  • Reply
John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Frontier Justice
Jotunn emerges through the front doors of the tower to the bright light of day, flanked by Greyleaf and Henri. Three of Aucassin's men bearing horses (including Henri's destrier) approach and bow deeply. "The Lord Aucassin wishes you great luck in your hunt, Master Jotunn and friends. May the Lady guide your blade and bring this murderous wretch to a fitting end." The three men mount their steeds and after a moment to get his bearings, Jotunn spurs his mount to a gallop, heading back the way they came towards the village Aucassin had told them of.

Half an hour passes after the trio began their ride, and mercifully little occurs during their ride. The very first village they encounter is eager to aid them, particularly after their chief spies Aucassin's seal upon Jotunn's letter. Once it is revealed the three are working for the Lord of the land, the villages become incredibly apologetic and even more helpful, bowing in reverence and doing all they can to meet the requests of the men on their journey. From what the village chief says, the man Jotunn hunts has passed through the village four times before in just the past week. He hasn't caught the man's name, but he assumes someone in the village must know, as the man has been incredibly inquisitive and forceful with his questions. "He has yet to harm anyone here, but rumors of a murderer have made the village a bit more inclined to be friendly and see people on their way that much more quickly.

Greyleaf, meanwhile, locks eyes with a man who has been watching from the shadowy window of his little log cabin. When he realizes the elf has spotted him, the man starts and closes the shutters.

Mysteries LLC
Gunnbjorn and Cat exit the tower through a side entrance, with Gunnbjorn pacing out into the middle of the yard. He holds up the drawing to where he can compare it to the tower, narrowing his eyes against the sun as he lines the two up. Once he has the window lined up correctly, he glances down to the door and begins to envision the interior of the tower in his head. A minute passes and he folds the paper, handing it back to Cat and stomping back towards the tower.

The two climb the stairs to the third floor and Gunnbjorn pauses, recounting the steps he's taken so far. He skulks through the hallway, ignoring the glances from nervous house maids and servants, his lips moving silently as he counts. He stops in the middle of the hallway, Cat nearly bumping into him as he does, and the berserker isn't very happy with the empty hallway he sees. Tapestries line the hallway in pairs, each showing the tower or events from the Aucassin family history and Mousillon's past, but there are no doorways or side passages to be seen. The hallway ends with a single window, and when Gunnbjorn peers out, he's either relieved or annoyed that it doesn't look out into the yard he and Cat had just fled from.

It's entirely possible he made a mistake in his estimations, but it's difficult to tell.

Cat rolled an 84 to estimate where the window might be on the third floor, and Gunnbjorn rolled a 51.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cat Hogberry-Patch

Cat looked at the empty corridor, then up at her furry companion, "And yer sure this'd be where the window is? I ent sayin' yer wrong or nuttin', but mebbe we shoulda stopped and asked a maid on the way up."

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users



Greyleaf

Greyleaf grins in a manner of a schoolyard bully who had spotted a new victim. Either the man had opinions against elves or he knew something about unwanted visitors to this hamlet. The elf clears his throat to get the attention of the other two people that actually matter.
"Well, I suspect we have our first villager to question. No Honest Man should shy away from meeting us." he remarks, pointing at the cabin.
"Lets hope he introduces himself as Rabbitcousin or Squirrelbrother-in-law"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010


Royalty is a continuous cutting motion


Henri de Vienne


Though the effort is obviously taxing, Henri has kept up a professional demeanor throughout the question of peasants. "Hmmph. At least this is better than the swamp." The knight tromps up to the door of the peasant's hovel and claps imperiously. "Attention within! I am Sir Henri de Vienne, in service to your lord, and I -- we have question for you about a heinous murderer!" There. If that doesn't get those lazy peasant feet moving, nothing will.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn



Gunnbjorn Magnusson

Gunnbjorn grimaces and pulls at one of the wall hangings in annoyance. "I am still in confusion on why you southlanders put your rugs on the wall? They're very pretty, yes, but they don't keep your feet warm! Bah, give me a good bear skin rug any day, at least I'm not worried about covering a window if my rug is under my feet.[b]" He pauses and goes to poke his head behind some of the tapestries near where the window should be. "[b]Speaking of, let's see if I'm a clever as a snake in the gross southlander.:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Meddling

Gunnbjorn surveys the scene in frustration, and when he checks behind the tapestries he spies nothing but stone wall. When he reaches out to yank one down in frustration, he pauses, taking a moment to look at the tapestries again. Each and every one of them shows some romanticized act of heroism, most with the heraldry of House Hane emblazoned on the knight's standard in the picture. Some bear other familiar heraldry that Gunnbjorn recognizes as belonging to Lyonesse and Brettonia as a whole.

But one tapestry stands out, as it is simply the Chateau de Hane, with a single woman standing in a window on the third floor of the tower. After a long, hard look, Gunnbjorn knows it to be the same window he was looking for before. Upon close inspection, the woman is weeping, and thin bars are set in her window. Tugging the tapestry aside reveals the same stone wall as all the others, but he sees a thin, rectangular outline around most of the stones. Running his hands over the wall, he finds one of the stones pulls away, revealing a door handle with a keyhole. Cat scoots over to join him, still keeping her eyes out for any wayward majordomos.

Fishing the key from his pocket, Gunnbjorn slots it into the doorknob and gives it a turn, hearing the lock click open. With a reaffirming glance to Cat, he draws an axe and throws the door open.

Inside, a woman looks up from her work, her face drawn and her hair shot through with grey, and her eyes brim with despair and sadness.. until she realizes Gunnbjorn is not a member of the household. Her face lights up immediately, restoring some of her youth, and she surges to her feet, the cloth and needle in her lap forgotten for the moment. Cat surveys the room from behind Gunnbjorn, seeing it is full of bolts of fabric and spools of thread, a small bed, a tall room divider, and a lone window facing out into the courtyard.

"You.. you came! I saw what you did last night, and I prayed to the Lady that the maids would help me and not.." She trails off for a moment, wiping tears from her eyes. "I've been here so long I didn't know who to trust. Praise to the Lady!"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cat Hogberry-Patch

Cat looked at the lady with no little confusion. That wasn't the unpleasant maid at all! This was like some sort of hidden princess situation. So, clearly, this meddling was getting better and better. More dangerous, too, but that was fine. Cat was full of bear claws and feisty as all get-out. Trying her best to decode the clearly distressed woman's statements, the diminutive woman said, "Right ya are, luv! Here we are, here ya are, it's all real touchin' like. So why're ya stuck inna room behind a rug anyhow?"

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013


Jotunn Heavy-Hand

Jotunn shrugs. "Sure, let's question this peasant. If the one we're looking for has passed through here four times in the last week, someone's seen something, and may as well start with the human that gave the Elgi a funny look, though I don't blame him!" the Dwarf says with a friendly slap to Greyleaf's back as they stand behind the Knight as he knocks on the door.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Your friendly croctopus overlord LP'er


Archibald Middlemoot

"CURSES!" Archibald had woken up late! He was still tugging his breeches on by the time the others Jotunn and the others were riding out of the gate, and he had just enough time to get on his horse and begin catching up.

He arrives behind them, breathless and in disarray. His horse is not winded, and looks at its rider with a look that conveys 'you are making a mountain out of a molehill.' He catches his breath as they discuss talking to the peasent, and enters the coversation as if he had been there all the time.

"Pray.... Pray. Let me speak with him, I may be able to reason with him." He Shouts to the occupant. "Good sir! We mean you no harm, we only with to uphold the law and seek information on a vagabond who has been seen in this area. We can protect you if you are in fear of your life!"

Well, RL has been kicking my rear end. But I'm here now!

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Bounty Hunting

There is a slight creak from the window as the occupant of the cabin peers out through the wooden shutters, and both Archibald and Greyleaf hear a slight groan from within. A moment later, there is the sound of a bolt being drawn at the door and the peasant steps out, his eyes narrowed. He is a tall, bald man with a face covered in scratches and old scars, with a short blonde beard and fierce blue eyes; his shoulder is wrapped with thick white linens that are stained with blood. He eyes Greyleaf warily and glances down to Archie, looking incredulous.

"Aye, YOU'LL protect me from HIM, will ya?" He gestures towards Greyleaf, fearlessly looking Henri square in the eyes. "Yer elf there is yer murderer, sir, sure as frogs poo poo in our swamps. Givin' that 'no honest man' horseshit after shootin' me in the middle of the bloody night." He turns his head and spits on the ground, wincing in pain as he does. "Lost me best mule, too."

While likely true (as this IS Greyleaf,) the testimony is strange in that the sketch given to Jotunn by Aucassin was certainly not of an elf, and there had been little mention of an elf by the lord or his men. Still, the peasant, Perceval by name, is none too keen to expose himself too much from the wooden doorframe of his cottage.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users



Greyleaf

"Well, I don' think he is going to say much to us if I'm here, so I bid you a GOOD DAY, SIR." Greyleaf scowls, feeling insulted. He turns from the door to go sulk somewhere else.
"Goddamn peasant claiming to be shot by an elf and still be left alive"

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Your friendly croctopus overlord LP'er


Archibald Middlemoot

Archibald raises his eyebrows. This is a new one. He turns to Greyleaf. "I apologize if you find the following offensive." he says in a low voice before continuing in a louder one to the peasant.
"Now good sir, that cannot be the case. I have only recently traveled her with my colleague, and while I agree, all knife ears look the same, I hope that you can take the time to have a closer look. We were lead to understand that the perpetrator is human, not one of the elven race. Are you sure you are not mistaken?"

Lets go for a good old fashioned charm check!

Target 42 - Roll a 72!

Dammit, I needed more elf bashing in that spiel.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn



Gunnbjorn Magnusson

First there is confusion, which is what one would generally expect to feel after finding a girl locked in a secret room behind a stupid wall rug. And then, for a moment, Gunnbjorn feels nothing but pure, white hot fury. Realization had hit, and nothing could possibly make this situation look good. He smelled the smoke of burning buildings again, screams from the common room of the inn they were raiding. Not again. Never again. He pushes down the blinding rage and takes a deep breath, fingers clenching and unclenching at his side.

"Lass, why are you here, and who the hell put you here?" His tone is careful and low, the faintest hint of how loving pissed he was only coming out as an undertone.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



The Seamstress
The girl sniffs, wiping at her nose with her sleeve. "I'm Berenice, good sir, and it was on order of Diomedes that I was locked in here, creating the tapestries that the Lord Aucassin is so fond of." She motions to the tapestries and bolts of fabric all throughout the room, most of which show a fantastically beautiful landscape or a woman in despair. "I never thought I'd see Couronne again; Lord Aucassin had seen my work during his travels, and.. and common born as I am, even skilled as I am, no one would buy my work, even with my great teacher. But Aucassin saw them and he loved them! He commissioned several pieces and paid handsomely for them, and wished that I would work for him!"

She sighs, pulling her fingers through her hair. "And then, months later, Diomedes came with one of the lord's knights. He made an official offer, gave me and my family a grand sum of money and promised me great fame and wealth, and.. and I am sure my family is well kept, but that old man has had me locked here, a prisoner. I see him harassing the young serving girls and women from throughout the lands, and I wish no ill on Lord Aucassin as I don't know that he is even aware I am here, but.."

Berenice looks on the verge of tears again, before taking a deep breath through her nose and steeling herself. "Only a few of the staff even know of me, and only two of the girls even deign to speak with me; the others think I am some poor, insane woman who is watched and fed and cared for out of the goodness of Diomedes' heart. But the man is a beast! Never in my life have I known such cruelty and hatred!" She looks down to Cat, giving her a strained smile. "He has served the Chateau de Hane for many, many of his years, and I doubt the young lord knows of what truly flows through that horrible man's brain."

"He.. he's up to some evil, I just know it." She takes Gunnbjorn's hands in her own, and the berserker can feel how chapped and worn the young woman's hands are for her constant work; she looks up into the Norscan's eyes pleadingly. "You must get me out of here, but you must first stop Diomedes. He is a fiend of the highest caliber and I fear he will bring harm to the good people of this Chateau." For a moment, the girl casts her eyes down, unable to meet Gunnbjorn's gaze. "You seem good and just people, and.. and I cannot ask that you kill the man. But you must bring an end to his wickedness, somehow."

John Dyne fucked around with this message at Dec 31, 2017 around 04:15

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cat Hogberry-Patch

From the way Gunnbjorn was huffing and puffing and generally vibrating with rage, Cat could tell she had but moments before the berserker launched a one-man whirlwind of destruction upon the castle and probably murdered dozens of hapless servant types. She held up a finger and said, "'Eyo, Bjornie, ya gotta keep it together! I ent sayin' Diomedical doesn't need ta get what's comin', but we gotta have a plan-like thingum. Mebbe I could get 'im ta follow me inna room or something, way all hideaway-like, and then ya murder the heck outta that kidnappin' whatsit." She looks at Berenice, then Gunnbjorn, then back as she taps her head. "Yeah? That's gonna solve alluv our problems. Stick wit' me, ya big fuzzball, 'n we'll be just fine."

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn



Gunnbjorn Magnusson

The old anger was there, same as ever. And with it the burning hot taint of Them. Gunnbjorn faintly felt something pierce the inside of his cheek, probably a tooth, but it didn't matter. He'd tear out the Hound's throat sure as he would this loving Diomedes's, with his own loving canines if he had to. It was only because he had enough sense to not go full berserk in front of a very scared woman he did not turn into a machine of steel and death. Instead he took a grip on one of her tables and squeezed, the wood cracking and splintering under the weight of his anger. After a bit of that he straightens up and nods at Cat.


"Ya, we should go to the whoreson's room. See what bulllshit hes been cooking up. After that we'll come back in here, wait for our fellows and then but this bastard out of everyone's misery."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Operating under the assumption that Cat and Gunnbjorn will go to Diomedes' room, which is on the third floor and easy enough to find. The door is locked with a very high quality lock, so either a -20 Pick Lock Test or a Strength test will be needed to bypass it. Strength test will be loud and obvious but a lot quicker.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn



Gunnbjorn Magnusson

Gunnbjorn pokes at the lock with a stick, nothing happens. He sees Cat fumble with some bear claws, nothing happens. With an angry he steps back and loving kicks the door. Something happens. Namely the door flies inwards as the locking mechanism gets hosed.
"After you."

RIP AND TEAR: 1d100-10 21

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Breaking and Entering
Gunnbjorn plants his foot perfectly above the door's lock, splintering the wood and causing the door to swing inwards with quite a bit of force and a good amount of noise. Glancing down the hallway, both Cat and Gunn feel safe that there haven't been any actual witnesses thus far.

Entering the room, the first thing either of the duo notice is the smell. The room is filled with the sharp, incongruous smell of aromatic spices: cloves. all spice, cedar, pine, the usual ingredient to potpourri. The smell is intense, as the room itself is incredibly small, incredibly sparse, and very neat for it all. All Diomedes owns in the world seems to be a cupboard, a small table and chair, and his bed.

Gunnbjorn stalks across the room, intent on tossing the cupboard and the bed to find out more on Diomedes and his fiendish plans. As he passes by the foot of the bed, he feels the floorboard beneath him shift and creak, obviously loose. Cat feels the hairs on the back of her neck stand up as the feeling that they're being watched creeps over her, but as she turns, she sees nothing in the doorway, and the hallway is completely clear.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn



Gunnbjorn Magnusson

Gunnbjorn wrinkles up his nose at the smell, almost reeling back from the room as the door opens. "By the Ancestors, what the hell is that?"

As he approaches the cupboard he winces a little as the floor creaks beneath him. Creaks more than it really should. A sudden burst of anger fills him as he realizes what the smell and the floor board combination might mean. Without a word he crouches down and pulls up the floorboard.

"Watch the door."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



The Anger of the North
Gunnbjorn gets his fingers under the floorboard with ease, prying it up and tossing it aside. Immediately the smell intensifies, a variety of powerful spices. He pushes the bed aside and frantically tears the floor up in his anger, spying white linens beneath the floor. After a moment, he sits there on his haunches, looking down at a linen wrapped body. Aromatic herbs and flowers have been scattered in the space beneath the bed and into the linens itself.

The Norscan carefully unwraps the body's head, and when blonde hair spills from beneath the cloth, he knows who it is. Slowly he unravels the linens, revealing the serene face of a young woman with hideous bruises on her throat where she was strangled. The face is familiar to Gunnbjorn, as the night before he had tried to rescue her. Cat, too, can see the woman's face even from the door, and she knows the woman as well.

It is Lisset.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn



Gunnbjorn Magnusson

Gunnbjorn lets go of the body and looks up, his eyes closed as he just sits there. Slowly, lightly shaking, the giant of a man gets up and rolls his shoulders. He, quite calmly, pulls his sword from his back and steps out into the hall.

"DIOMEDESSSSSSSSSS! MURDERER! LIAR! TRAITOR!"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cat Hogberry-Patch

Cat, for her part, looks as somber as a halfling can with an armload of bear claws. Delicious, delicious bear claws. She says, "Feckin' hells, this is gonna get all sorts of messy-like, ain't it? Tryta gettim ta admit ta doin' it before ya tear 'im apart, yeah? Bjornie?"

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



The Anger of Mousillon
At Gunnbjorn's cry, servants and maids peek their heads from the various rooms before shutting them in a hurry, watching the mighty Norscan stalk forth from Diomedes' room. The man in question appears at the end of the hallway, fury written on his face at the slurs placed upon his name. He sees Gunnbjorn emerging from his room and snarls, moving forward as quick as he can on his limp.

"You idiot! Your rooms are on the floor below, why are you up he-" He stops just beyond Gunnbjorn's reach, seeing into the room beyond him; he is able to see that, at the very least, the floorboards have been displaced, and the powerful smell of spices fills the hallway. The man's face darkens, a fury almost as cold and dark as Gunnbjorn's overtaking him as he draws his own sword, taking a step back from the berserker, as if he just now noticed the greatsword.

"How dare you abuse my master's hospitality. The business of the Chateau is the business of the Chateau, and is not privvy to outsiders. What we do is not some.. some ADVENTURE for you to seek! You have besmirched my honor, and the honor of Lord Aucassin, and on my word you shall leave this place and never return, be you standing or be you prone." Diomedes grins madly, his eyes betraying the insanity that dwells within him. "My lord and master Mallobaude would much prefer the latter for meddlers like you."

Diomedes shifts his weight onto his back leg, his blade extended and his face focused. Gunnbjorn has seen this before of men of the Empire; the old steward is eschewing his offense to fight completely defensively, likely to wait for an opening.

INITIATIVE
Diomedes: 13
Gunnbjorn: 6


Diomedes uses his first turn to enter a defensive stance. All attacks against him suffer a -20 penalty.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn



Gunnbjorn Magnusson

Gunnbjorn gives Diomedes a mad grin as he rushes the evil valet. "I've seen the fury of the Bloodthirster and the raw power of the Realms of Chaos! You think that you're stronger than what I rejected?" He grins widely as he slams his sword into the man, hearing the satisfying crunch of steel against bone.




Aim then Standard attck: 1d100 100 Fate Pointing This

FP'd All Out Attack: 1d100+10 34

Damage 1d10+4: 1d10+4 5

Impact damage reroll: 1d10+4 11 much better

mcclay fucked around with this message at Dec 31, 2017 around 21:56

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



The old man narrowly brings his blade between his body and Gunnbjorn's weapon, the force of the blow throwing him off balance for a moment. He swings wildly at the unflinching berserker, his blade nicking the man's armor and clothing but doing no substantial damage. He gathers himself once more and raises his blade defensively once more, grinning.

"When the Black Knight rightfully reclaims the throne from that bastard Leoncoeur, I will wield such power that you have never imagined, you savage fool. Immortality will be mine! Invincibility! The strength to sunder the very earth beneath your feet! All of it has been promised me, and more! So yield, and I may make your passage into the hells something befitting of a king!"


Diomedes attacks and misses, and enters parry stance.

Cat may join in if she likes now.



Diomedes Parry vs 54 (44 + 10 Slow): 1d100 54

Diomedes Attack vs 44: 1d100 66 1d10+4 8

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn



Gunnbjorn Magnusson

Gunnbjorn just smiles as he raises his sword. "I've seen immortality. You don't want that."
He then lowers his sword and just. He just loving does it holy poo poo


All Out Attack: 1d100-10 88 gently caress, Fate Pointing again
AAO FP: 1d100-10 1 JESUS CHRIST MUCH BETTER

Damage: Impact: 2#1d10+4 14 11 Thats a Fury
FURY: 1d10 10 holy poo poo
t-triple fury?: 1d10 9 Welp

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Dark Secrets
Diomedes throws his sword up once more in a desperate attempt to defend himself, but Gunnbjorn twists his blade at the last moment, hacking the old man's arm off right below the elbow. Blackness seems to coalesce around the steward and he screams in pain, staggering back as blood gushes from the wound, and the berserker advances, bringing his sword around in one final blow to finish the steward off once and for all.

The Norscan's blade rings as it strikes steel, and he feels the jolt of the impact ring up his arm. For a moment, he thinks his rage has overcome him and he is hallucinating, as Lord Aucassin stands before him, having caught the greatsword almost casually on the plated bracer on his wrist. Diomedes sputters in disbelief, holding his bleeding limb up to the noble. "M-m-master! My lord Aucassin, my master! He would see me dead! He would see us fail! He-" As he speaks, Aucassin turns to him, his face darkening as he looks upon his steward.

Gunnbjorn watches as Diomedes sails down the hallway from a strike too fast for him to follow, the old man crumpling against the floor in a heap. He yet breathes and bleeds, but the man can't be long for the world. Aucassin sighs, looking past Gunnbjorn to Diomedes' room. "Hold your steel, berserker. This man speaks blasphemies within my very home and I would learn what he knows of Bretonnia's greatest foe before you lop his head off for vengeance of poor Lisset. I will deny you not your vengeance and your rancor, but he speaks dearly of a man who would see me and the good King Leoncoeur dead."

Aucassin disengages from Gunnbjorn's blade with a scraping of metal, sparks flying as he does. He adjusts his tabard and glances back to the stirring form of Diomedes. "I am furious of Lisset myself, but as you have started down this road, I will let you finish. Please. See to it the poor girl is tended to by my staff, whatever wounds he has inflicted covered. I will personally take her to her family when the sun has set, as I should have last night. I let my pride for entertaining overcome me and it has cost her more than I can repay." The noble smiles warmly at Gunnbjorn before stalking down the hall towards Diomedes, looking very much the predator approaching its wounded prey.

"Mallobaude, was it, dear Diomedes? Your lord and master?"

Cat only: As Gunnbjorn strikes Diomedes, Cat sees what looks to be a black cloud of mist seep down through the stones of the ceiling, the feeling of being watched amplifying greatly. When Gunnbjorn swings to strike, she watches as the mists form together into Lord Aucassin, interposed between the two fighters. When the blade strikes his bracer, she sees the man bare his fangs; it seems he was taken by surprise by Gunnbjorn's strength.




Diomedes Parry vs 54 (44 + 10 Slow): 1d100 95

Aucassin Parry vs 85 (75 + 10 Slow): 1d100 53

John Dyne fucked around with this message at Dec 31, 2017 around 23:11

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn



Gunnbjorn Magnusson

Gunnbjorn stumbles back as his blow is blocked by what appears to be Lord Aucassin's loving arm. He stops shuddering and shaking as he clams down post-battle, breathing heavily as the effects of his frenzying start to wear off. "Lord Aucassin, I thought you would be out for a few more days, nor did I see you come in." Gunnbjorn's eyes narrow but then he looks towards the body of Lisset and sighs. "We shall talk of this later, but you are right, I have work to do. Also, on the third floor of your tower this bastard trapped a young seamstress named Bernice. While I'm dealing with this poor soul you may wish to free her." Gunnbjorn goes out to find Aucassin's staff and inform them of what needs to be done.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage




Cat Hogberry-Patch

Some things might shatter a mind with terrible truths. Things like shadowy, clearly vampiric nobles. Limbs getting cleaved off in giant, anime sprays of blood. Bodies hidden in the floors! Yet, despite it all, Cat remained unbroken. Hell, she remained quintessentially halfling about it all. She says, "Yer Lordishness! I thought ya were off fightin' the dark things with the special swords and the whatnot? Well, I'm supposin' itsa good thing ya were here! Wut Bjornie said and all, but first, I really gotta tell you something! Those bear claws that yer cooks'r makin'? drat near the best thingum I've put inta my mouth in a dog's age!"

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Pleasant Peasants
Perceval glares down at Archibald for a long moment before stepping away from the door. A moment passes before he returns and shoves a bundle into the halfling's arms, and a cursory glance shows it to be a well made arrow, broken off along the haft. The arrow head and the missing part of the arrow itself are also in the bundle, covered in blood and with elven script curling around the head of the arrow. As Archibald studies the arrow, the peasant finally takes the drawing from him and looks at it himself, speaking as he does.

"Oh, aye, I'm sure all of his kin look alike, but do you truly reckon more than one of his kind are here and about in this part of the world at the exact moment he is? I know what I saw, son. That knife eared stinkyhole put an arrow in my shoulder and put one through the throat of my mule.. and tried to put one in your lad here in this drawing." He taps the picture with a knuckle. "Ye ain't got it in this picture, but the man's got a strange hat he wears, and he was bristlin' with weapons."

"The ponce with you scared him off to the west. Yelled somethin' about 'that bounty is all mine, I can hire you to punch yourself in your own dick' and lots of cackling, the arrow hit him in the chest but didn't go through his armor, and it spooked the man you're chasing well enough he ran off. Knife ear back there seemed confused and eventually stumbled off back the way he came, but not before barfin' in a frog guttin' bucket and kicking the leg of a chair out from under an old sod snoozin' in it."


He stares flatly at Henri and Archibald, no hint of humor about him.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at Jan 3, 2018 around 02:56

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Your friendly croctopus overlord LP'er


Archibald Middlemoot

Archibald could see he was going to need to bring extra letters in his head while dealing with these backwater cretins.

"Greyleaf, I don't suppose you went on a drunken rampage last night? Or can we assume this is a case of mistaken identity?"
Shaking his head he continues. "Needless to say, it seems that we have more going on than first meets the eye. Could it be that we are hunting the wrong party? Still we must find him to find out. Good sir, do you have any idea where our fine hatted friend might be found?"

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users



Greyleaf

"Well, my tiny legal representative, the case against me was that I was so drunk I rode into this town to shoot this man's mule and him. I think it's safe to say I can not remember." he retorts, checking his pockets for any clues about what he did while he was drunk, if he did it.
He was hoping all he would find was some maid's pantaloons and maybe wine corks.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Your friendly croctopus overlord LP'er


Archibald Middlemoot

"Hmm, is there any evidence? Missing arrows, or better yet, ones with mule and farmer blood on them? In cases like this, it is better to assume innocence over guilt. Do you have any flashbacks that could throw light upon this situation?"

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users



Greyleaf

The elf rummages thru his pockets, only to produce about a dozen scribbled notes about different people he had met and the words 'Kill Them All' scribbled next to them
"Lets say for an argument's sake that I did get blackout drunk, rode to this hamlet, found this guy we're pursuing, and shot him in the chest. And then allegedly shot this person and his mule because no-honest-man would be out at night, in the woods, with his mule in the company of a wanted man. This peasant is now arguing that a WELL-KNOWN elven archer with a well-crafted elven bow, using well-crafted arrows with elven charms on them wouldn't be able to pierce this, possibly frog-leather, armor. he retorts.

"I mean that would explain why my boots were covered in mud in the morning after the servants just polished them yesterday and why the stable hands gave me the stink-eye when I asked about one of their horses being in a rough shape." the elf theorizes.
"But the claim that I allegedly shot a person and he wasn't hurt is an enormous slur towards my professional conduct"

Sormus fucked around with this message at Jan 3, 2018 around 18:56

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010


Royalty is a continuous cutting motion


Henri de Vienne


"Moving on," says Henri through teeth gritting so hard they can be heard and holding up a coin, "this is a silver piece, which can be exchanged for goods and services, or perhaps given to your lord in the place of your taxes. Tell us where you saw the wanted man get shot and which direction he ran in, and it's yours."

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Your friendly croctopus overlord LP'er


Archibald Middlemoot

Mutters. Oh right, skip straight to bribery....

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013


Jotunn Heavy-Hand

Jotunn laughs. "This peasant better be mistaken Elgi. First, if you were out here trying to get MY bounty and steal my payment I'd have to right split you in two. Secondly, I'd lose what respect for you I have if I found out you couldn't handle your drink and got black out drunk!" The dwarf gets a little more serious once coin starts being used to bribe the peasant. "Quick way to cut into your overhead." He then addresses the Peasant. "The knight here is kinder than I, I tend to use threats of violence to get answers. I'd accept his generosity and pay it back in kind. With information."

Jotunn not so subtly puts his hand on his axe hanging from his belt. Not in a totally threatening way, but there is the implication.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Perceval raises an eyebrow at the knight but accepts the coin regardless, pocketing it and folding his arms across his chest. He leans against the doorframe and spits on the ground, before hiking a thumb over his shoulder. "Outside of town. Straight out from my home. There's a set of bushes where I dragged my mule. The man you're looking for was shot no more than thirty yards from there." He looks the men over for a moment before standing straight, grabbing the door. "I gave you what you wanted. Go hunt this man, and leave me be." Perceval shuts the door just short of slamming it.

Following the man's directions, the three head out behind his home and head straight, and not too long after they start walking, they spy the bush he had mentioned beforehand; ten minutes later, and the trio are able to confirm that, yes, there is a dead mule in the bushes with an elven arrow put clean through its skull. The ground the night before was much softer, as the three can see the path the peasant had used to drag his mule into the bushes, as well as his footprints. Hneri follows the path to where the man and his mule had to have stood before they were attacked, and glances around, trying to get a lay of the land. Greyleaf heads west, back towards the tower, and finds a set of light footprints as well as a single, crumpled piece of paper which he discovers to have elven script on it.

Jotunn, meanwhile, heads east, and before long finds an impression in the mud that seems to have been created by a falling humanoid body, with blood drying in the dirt. Several sets of footprints surround the impression, and for a short distance there are twin trails etched into the mud where, more than likely, the man had been lifted and carried with his feet dragging on the ground. Two sets of footprints lead off towards the east before getting into grassier areas that make the trail more difficult to follow, while another set heads back west to where Henri stands, likely the trail of the peasant. There is no sign of any fletching or other weaponry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010


Royalty is a continuous cutting motion


Henri de Vienne


Congratulating himself on the heroic resolve needed to maintain the Virtues in the face of unruly peasantry, and pointedly not firing his shack for impropriety, Henri walks his mount along behind the others to the bushes. "Well, Greyleaf? I would hope this is not one of your arrows. What's that say? Eltharin is not among my languages." Briefly mulling over the facts, he adds, "Clearly, there is more here than meets the eye. The dead man was carried by two at the least, and the peasant mentioned only one attacker."

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«9 »