Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
[quote="Sormus" post="479885760"]

Greyleaf

"Peasants lie. Waters wet."
Greyleaf carefully unfolds the crumbled note and reads it while mumbling.

Dearest Sober Greyleaf,
To Do:
Buy More Arrows, Make ones with the "Elvish charm" on them.
- The Elvish word for Arsebadger is hard to fit on the shaft, consider alternatives
Signed, Drunk Greyleaf

He frowned, this boded bad for the investigation. The elf grabs one of the arrows and compares it to ones in his quiver.
"It doesn't make any sense. They're much like mine, but much more delicately crafted. Even the runes are much more elegant"
"Its like I'm looking at some loving nobles' frilly-froufrou decorative arrows."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Jotunn Heavy-Hand

Jutunn looks at the scene. "I think you need to go get your money back knight, that peasant is a liar." Jotunn points to the set of tracks leading away from the tall grass. "So we got two sets of footprints here dragging away someone poor sod that got shot, and one of these trails leads right back to...here." The Dwarf points to the mule in the bush where Henri is standing. "What did that peasant say? That old Greyleaf there shot his mule, shot him, and then shot our target, but the arrow got stuck in his armor? Well the facts here show that there were a couple more folks, that the peasant helped carry one off, and that one poor bastard was dragged off, not ran. I think that lying poo poo farmer deserves a beating for lying to yer highness."

He then walks over to Greyleaf. "I was never much of a smith, but I know my way around a hammer. Let me look at those arrows."

I would like to use my trade smith skill to look over the arrow and compare it to one of greyleaf's. I know trade is mostly used for making stuff, so if this is a knowledge test instead that's fine.
Trade smith is technically strength based, so my strength plus dwarfen tradecraft would have me rolling vs a 43. I'll roll once I know it is appropriate.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
CSI: Moussilon
Snatching the arrow from the hands of Greyleaf, Jotunn takes a practice dwarven eye to the two sets of arrows and arrowheads. While dwarven craftsmanship more had to deal with stone and metalwork, a weapon was a weapon, and they always bore a maker's mark.

Except, possibly, in disposable elven works. Both shafts are made of different kinds of wood, with the one that came from the peasant made of a much flimsier wood; the arrowhead found at the scene is made of a polished bone, rather than the metal of Greyleaf's arrow. The intricate elven scrollwork on them looks ALMOST exactly the same to Jotunn's dwarven eye, though he isn't exactly what anyone would call an expert on elven script; the bone arrowhead is certainly sloppier and less exacting than the metal one, and whatever etching tool the crafter used was certainly not intended for the task.

For all he can tell of the two arrows, Jotunn is confident that they weren't crafted by the same person. What this may mean is left to speculation, however the dwarf is aware that at the very least they have a trail to follow. Two or more men carrying a man in armor heavy enough to stir up the mud like he did on impact couldn't have gotten too far in the night.

On the Trail
Leaving the scene behind, Jotunn and the others follow the trail left by the duo dragging the armored victim, swearing to return to the little villa to pound Perceval's face in for his lies. The drag marks left by the boots fade after some time, but there are other signs of passage that an expert huntsman like Jotunn is able to follow; mashed down blades of grass, spots of blood, and the occasional broken cattail tell the dwarf they are still on the right track.

Jotunn is rewarded for his knowledge when the footprints return after about an hour of no trail, and glancing off into the distance, the trio spy a wisp of smoke coming from inside a copse of trees. Keeping to the higher grass and trees, Jotunn and Greyleaf sneak closer, expecting to move more quietly than their chivalrous ally.

Before too long, they spy a squat little cabin set in the middle of the trees, surrounded by tree stumps, some of which had been ripped out of the ground. Even at this distance, Jotunn and Greyleaf can tell the wood of the cabin is of much higher quality than anything they've run into so far in Mousillon. Three horses are stabled just west of the cabin, and the shutters are pulled closed. Neither of the two men spot any movement from or around the cabin, and after a minute or two of watching, creep back to where they left Henri, to discuss where to go from here.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Jotunn Heavy-Hand

Jutunn holds up the two arrows; I can tell you for sure the one from the donkey is for sure of inferior quality than the ones our elf here has in his quiver. Unless he happened to keep a shite bone tipped arrow around just for mule killin', I think it is a fake meant to look like one of yers, point."

Once back to Henri, Jotunn lowers his voice into a whisper. "Either myself or Mr. Greyleaf should sneak up to the horses, and let them loose; that'll stop our friends from escaping. Then either we barge on in there, or we could even set up a little siege if we wanted to. They might not have enough supplies to wait us out."

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

Greyleaf

"Well, last time we were in this exact same scenario, we went and politely knocked on the door." elf grumbles.
"We could, also, just barricade the door and set fire to the house?"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Henri de Vienne

Henri scoffs at the suggestion. "We are not sneak-thieves and murderers!" After a moment's thought, he adds, "Well. Some of us are not. Regardless, I can do no such thing. If you two were to wait out of sight, however, perhaps I could go and... introduce myself." He raises his shield and fingers his sword knowingly at that last bit.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

Greyleaf

"Fair enough, While you distract them I'll go and scare their horses so they can't run away from a 'honorable duel.'"

Going to cut the reins of the horses while, or slightly before Sir Henri uses the verbal cavalry charge to the possible peasants.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Archibald Middlemoot

Archibald keeps his distace, but drops his sling from his sleeve and drops a rock into it. Ready to go when things kick off.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
What's the plan, guys? Gonna storm the hut or just play it sneaky?

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
:cloud:

Sormus fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 4, 2018

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

Hanjo Greyleaf

The elf expertly sneaks thru unguarded and unsupervised cabin yard. He finds the horses, cutse their tethers and gives each and everyone a swift punch in the face.
Horses, being timid creatures, take off into the night. Greyleaf then takes his bow and arrow and takes aims at the door.
I'm going to take the initiative to scare off their horses, which SHOULD make them come outside to see what the gently caress is going on. We SHOULD then get a drop on them.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Jotunn Heavy-Hand

Jotunn nods as the elf takes off towards the horses. The dwarf stays at the knight's side. If those inside were going to come out angry and itching for a fight, Jotunn wasn't going to leave it all for the knight to handle.

Going up with Henri. I'll stay quiet while the knight does the talking, but shield and axe will be drawn ready for a fight.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Greyleaf cuts the ropes tethering the horses to the house and does what he can to spook them; as an elf with a shiny weapon and an evil glint in his eye, this occurs fairly naturally, and the elf gives one of the horses a slap on the hindquarters to get it going. The horses whinny and rear up and charge out into the forest, making an ungodly racket as they go.

Henri and Jotunn move up towards the house, weapons and shields at the ready. It only takes a moment for the door to open, and another elf to emerge, armed with a kitchen knife; the elf has shortly cropped blonde hair and one brilliant blue eye, and at first he doesn't notice the dwarf and plate mail clad human approaching him. Behind him emerges a human that strikes a familiar figure to Jotunn and Henri, mostly thanks to his tall hat and the brace of pistols on his body; however, Jotunn in particular recognizes the man from the drawing given to him by Aucassin. His left shoulder is bound with bloodied bandages, and he sneers as he sees the dwarf and knight approaching.

"You sylvan buffoon! Ignore the bloody horses, a knight and his servant approach!" The witch hunter rests his hand gingerly on one of the pistols at his hip, a monstrous thing with multiple barrels inlaid with golden twin-tailed comets and various other iconography of the cult of Sigmar. The elf halts, turning before he discovers Greyleaf to gape at the dwarf and knight.

From within the house, Greyleaf can hear a third being moving about, cursing softly; he can hear that the man inside is looking for his sword and is cursing himself for being unable to find it. Archibald, for what it's worth, hangs back in the bushes where he can better support the others with his sling, knowing that a well placed rock between the eyes can fell even a witch hunter.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 20, 2018

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

Greyleaf

Greyleaf had hid himself near the wall, in a blind spot just below a window, when the men had come out the door. He abandoned his bow for his blade as the other elf made an appearance.

Swift Attacking the gently caress out of the other elf, there can only be one!
Initiative: 1d10+5 13
Swift attacking the imposter-Elf, TN 76 (46+30 Unaware): 1d100 58
Swift attacking the imposter-Elf, TN 76 (46+30 Unaware), 2nd attack: 1d100 43 Both Hit Unsure if I needed to roll WS for both but I did
Damage, Hand Weapon 1d10+SB: 2#1d10+3 11 10
pre:
| WS | BS |  S |  T | Ag | Int | WP | Fel |
| 46 | 40 | 36 | 31 | 53 |  30 | 35 |  22 |

|  A  |   W |  M  |  FP  |
|  2  |10/10|  5  | 2/2  |

Armour: Medium (3)

Name         Range  Damage  Reload	Special
Hand Weapon  Melee      SB 
Shortbow     16/31       3    Half 

Skills:

Talents:
Disarm, 
Quick Draw, 
Strike to Injure (+1 to Crit rolls)
Strike to Stun   (May attempt Stun on melee hit)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Henri de Vienne

Henri's knightly swagger as he approached the cottage had only intensified when he saw the utterly dishonorable armament of its most important occupant. Whatever line he thought was pithy enough to say was cut off by Greayleaf blind-siding the villain who had previously attacked the innocent villager. "Skipping straight ahead, are we? Capital! Come on, Jotunn!" With that, and a whistle for his faithful steed, he charged the man in the ridiculous hat and sent his blade arcing towards his chest.

initiative cottage fight: 1d10+3 7
charge the witch hunter: 1d100 17

pre:
Henri:                                                     Horse:
Primary     | WS | BS | S  | T  | AG | IN | WP | FE |      Primary     | WS | BS | S  | T  | AG | IN | WP | FE |
            | 58 | 29 | 41 | 30 | 30 | 32 | 36 | 37 |                  | 30 |  0 | 40 | 40 | 30 | 10 | 10 |  0 |

Secondary   | A  | W  | SB | TB |  M | MG | IP | FP |      Secondary   | A  | W  | SB | TB |  M | MG | IP | FP |
            | 2  | 13 |  4 |  3 |  4 |  - |  0 |  2 |                  | 1  | 14 |  4 |  4 |  8 |  - |  - |  - |
AP 3                                                       AP 0 
x/13 Wounds                                                x/14 Wounds
x/2  FP                                                    
1 Parry @ 63, -10 to incoming BS if aware of attack        Perception +10 
1 Dodge @ 30 if a parry fails or if I already used it      Acute Hearing, Keen Senses

CC Lance: 1d10+6   Fast, Impact, Tiring                    Awesome hoof attack: 1d10+5
CC Sword: 1d10+5

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Elves live rich, long lives, as they are a race with the longevity and refined palette to truly put in the time to master whatever craft they had applied themselves to. Grayfrond was one such elf, a being from the wild pastures of Chrace, where the world's finest horses and riders were forged. The elf had been a child when the isles of Ulthuan had been sundered by the traitorous machinations of the Druchii, and he had proven himself a true son of Chrace in the skirmishes and battles that had been waged afterwards. He was without peer in all forms of mounted combat, and while he had retired to the 'colonies' to distance himself from the horrors plaguing his people and continuing mastering his craft in times of relative peace, he had been hand selected by the witch hunter Karl von Karlson for his incredible skills. Grayfrond had looked forward to centuries in the southern lands of Tilea and Estalia, where he could sample fine vintages of cheeses and wines that suited his ancient tastes.

Not like any of that loving matters to Greyleaf, who emerges swiftly and silently behind his fellow from Ulthuan. Grabbing the other elf by his long, beautiful hair, Greyleaf yanks back hard, bringing the other elf off balance. In the blink of an eye, the tips of two daggers sprout from the elf's ribcage, and after a single heartbeat, the elf goes limp. A lifetime of skill and knowledge, after centuries of survival, are gone with a final, ragged breath.

Greyleaf also takes the other elf's wallet.

In the meanwhile, the heavily plated body of Henri slams into the witch hunter, who is taken aback by the sudden attack; Henri lashes out with his sword against the off-balanced inquisitor, opening the man's cheek with a fine spray of blood. Karl von Karlson staggers back, bringing a hand to his face and looking at his bloodied glove in disbelief, before his face settles into a twisted visage of rage. "You must be agents of that accursed bloodsucker! Grayfrond, Jason! To me, my allies!" Karl draws one of his several pistols, sneering as he backs up to keep room between him and the knight, and to allow a burly, red-bearded dwarf armored head to toe in runed platemail to interject himself in the doorway. Jason slams a bearded hatchet against a fairly impressive shield, yelling out something in Khazalid that Jotunn knows would be inappropriate in any church in the land.

Henri Charge Damage: 1d10+5 8
8 - 4 TB = 4 damage

Jason enters a defensive stance and is blocking the doorway.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Jotunn Heavy-Hand

The elf and the knight act so quickly that the dwarf is caught a little off guard. It isn't until his Kin make an appearance that Jotunn suddenly snaps into action. He replies back at his fellow kinsman in their tongue, "Nothing personal, just being paid for that man's head. Give it to us, and I promise we'll let you live. Get in our way, and I'll be getting an armor upgrade I think!"

With that said, Jotunn charges in for a stunning strike on the other Dwarf, to get him out of the way so they can get the pistol packing man's head.

ini w/ hunter: 1d10+3 12

Okay, going to charge, but instead of do damage going to use the strike to stun talent.
Charge the other dwarf TN of 68: 1d100 32

Okay, assuming it isn't parried and I hit, I do the strike to stun instead of damage. It is my str test opposed by a toughness test. He gets +10 to his toughness for every AP he has on his head.

stun str test TN 33: 1d100 85

Hopefully he fails by more.

pre:
Name:  Jotun Heavy-Hand
Race: Dwarf
Career: Outlaw 

Character Profile
Primary   : | WS | BS | S  | T  | AG | INT | WP | FEL|
Current   : | 58 | 33 | 33 | 46 | 33 | 52  | 32 | 21 |

Secondary : | A  | W  | SB | TB | M  | MAG | IP | FP |
Current   : | 2  | 15 | 3  | 4  | 3  | 0   | 0  | 3  |

Wounds: 15/15

Fate: 3/3

Armor: 1 Body AP Toughness Bonus: 4
Dodge: 33, Parry w/shield: 68

Weapons:
Hand Weapon: 1d10+3
Shield(bash):1d10+1Qualities: Defensive, -10BS to incoming ranged attacks
Bow Range: 1d10+3 Rld: Half

Skills:
Dodge blow
Perception
Ride
Scale sheer serfaces
Silent move

Talents:
grudge born fury (+5 to WS when attacking orcs, goblins, hobo)
night vision (30 yard vision in natural, not total, darkness)
resistance to magic (+10 WP tests to resist magic)
stout-hearted (+10 on fear, terror and intimidate tests)
sturdy (No movement penalties in heavy armor, less encumbrance values)
Rover (+10 on conceal and silent move in rural locations)
strike to stun (Str v T to stun target)

Werix fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 28, 2018

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Jotunn covers the distance quickly for having such short legs, and brings his axe down in a sharp arc, striking his fellow dwarf square in the temple with the hammer side of the axe. The dwarf grunts before simply falling backwards into the hut, no longer blocking passage into the building. The witch hunter curses under his breath, his eyes narrowed on the knight and the dwarf.

"I told that bearded idiot to wear a bloody helmet!"

Initiative is back to Jotunn and the others. Greyleaf can bust through a window if he needs to.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Henri de Vienne

Henri grins, perhaps edging into a sneer, as the enemy dwarf falls insensate to the floor. "This is what you get for depending on a coward's weapon!" he cries, as he rushed forward into the villain in the hat and delivers two rapid strikes with his blade, the first little more than a feint but the second striking true.

swift attack whunter: 2#1d100 98 38

pre:
Henri:                                                     Happy the Horse:
Primary     | WS | BS | S  | T  | AG | IN | WP | FE |      Primary     | WS | BS | S  | T  | AG | IN | WP | FE |
            | 58 | 29 | 41 | 30 | 30 | 32 | 36 | 37 |                  | 30 |  0 | 40 | 40 | 30 | 10 | 10 |  0 |

Secondary   | A  | W  | SB | TB |  M | MG | IP | FP |      Secondary   | A  | W  | SB | TB |  M | MG | IP | FP |
            | 2  | 13 |  4 |  3 |  4 |  - |  0 |  2 |                  | 1  | 14 |  4 |  4 |  8 |  - |  - |  - |
AP 3                                                       AP 0 
13/13 Wounds                                                14/14 Wounds
2/2  FP                                                    
1 Parry @ 63, -10 to incoming BS if aware of attack        Perception +10 
1 Dodge @ 30 if a parry fails or if I already used it      Acute Hearing, Keen Senses

CC Lance: 1d10+6   Fast, Impact, Tiring                    Awesome hoof attack: 1d10+5
CC Sword: 1d10+5

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

Greyleaf

Greyleaf drops the other elf's corpse like a bag of trash, expertly going thru his pockets before the corpse even hits the ground. He then climbs through the window to attack the witch hunter from behind.

Sure, I'll loving crawl thru the window knocking random poo poo on the windowsill to the ground. So I guess my actions this turn are Move and then Stab-Stab-Stab.
Stab the Witch Hunter: 1d100 82 Yea missing that as much as the other elf misses not being dead.

pre:
| WS | BS |  S |  T | Ag | Int | WP | Fel |
| 46 | 40 | 36 | 31 | 53 |  30 | 35 |  22 |

|  A  |   W |  M  |  FP  |
|  2  |10/10|  5  | 2/2  |

Armour: Medium (3)

Name         Range  Damage  Reload	Special
Hand Weapon  Melee      SB 
Shortbow     16/31       3    Half 

Skills:

Talents:
Disarm, 
Quick Draw, 
Strike to Injure (+1 to Crit rolls)
Strike to Stun   (May attempt Stun on melee hit)

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Jotunn Heavy-Hand

With the Dwarf incapacitated, Jotunn turns to the man with the pistols, who matches the sketch he's been given. "Sorry, it's just business."

charge the man in the hat TN 68: 1d100 29

damage on the man in the hat: 1d10+3 4

Does fantasy have the rule where you can replace the damage roll with your DoS? because if so I want to do that.

pre:
Name:  Jotun Heavy-Hand
Race: Dwarf
Career: Outlaw 

Character Profile
Primary   : | WS | BS | S  | T  | AG | INT | WP | FEL|
Current   : | 58 | 33 | 33 | 46 | 33 | 52  | 32 | 21 |

Secondary : | A  | W  | SB | TB | M  | MAG | IP | FP |
Current   : | 2  | 15 | 3  | 4  | 3  | 0   | 0  | 3  |

Wounds: 15/15

Fate: 3/3

Armor: 1 Body AP Toughness Bonus: 4
Dodge: 33, Parry w/shield: 68

Weapons:
Hand Weapon: 1d10+3
Shield(bash):1d10+1Qualities: Defensive, -10BS to incoming ranged attacks
Bow Range: 1d10+3 Rld: Half

Skills:
Dodge blow
Perception
Ride
Scale sheer serfaces
Silent move

Talents:
grudge born fury (+5 to WS when attacking orcs, goblins, hobo)
night vision (30 yard vision in natural, not total, darkness)
resistance to magic (+10 WP tests to resist magic)
stout-hearted (+10 on fear, terror and intimidate tests)
sturdy (No movement penalties in heavy armor, less encumbrance values)
Rover (+10 on conceal and silent move in rural locations)
strike to stun (Str v T to stun target)

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
With the dwarf downed, Henri has a clean shot through the door to von Karlson, a fact the knight takes swift advantage of. The Bretonnian knocks the witch hunter off balance with his charge, and his blade bites deep into the zealot's chest, stopped only by the man's ribs. Von Karlson tries to slide his own blade, a thin rapier, through a joint in Henri's armor, but the knight bats the attack away with the flat of his blade.

Jotunn knows an opening when he sees one, and he barrels down on the wounded witch hunter, cracking the man in the knee with his axe and sending him down to the ground, flat on his back. Karl exhales sharply as he hits the ground, his teeth clacking inside his head from the impact. He blinks away the stars and quickly tosses his rapier aside, raising his hands above his head. "I yield! I yield! I know when I have been bested!"

There is a sudden cacophony of noise from the nearby window, where Greyleaf has shown the grace and agility of his race by knocking down several knick knacks from the windowsill as he is currently squirming through the open window, his legs kicking out behind him as his hands grab for purchase on the nearby table. His desperate grabbing knocks over a small vase and sends silverware and clay diningware to the floor. He ends up flipping forward somehow, his feet kicking the top of the window as he slams down onto the table, smashing the wobbly thing apart as he deposits himself and its contents to the floor. Without missing a beat, the elf is back on his feet, acting as if nothing had happened, and if it HAD happened, it was intentional, and no one would know any better because he's an elf.

For all this, Von Karlson simply stares blankly. His face betrays no emotion, not even pain, and he merely lays there with his hands held plaintively towards Henri and Jotunn.

Rolled 11 damage for Henri, which with Jotunn's damage put Von Karlson at -1. Jotunn rolled a 19 on the crit table, which is a 5 to the leg and knocks the enemy down and dazes them, causing them to suffer -30 on all rolls.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Archibald Middlemoot

Hearing the Witchhunter yeild, Archibald pockets his stone and refurls his sling, keeping a hand on his sword he moves up to the main group, just in time to see Greyleaf trying to look innocent.

"Nice entrance there sir!

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

Greyleaf
The elf dusts himself off, and gives the house a wide glance, scanning the inside for any valuables. He spots the With Hunter's hat and takes it.

Making his best stereotypic With Hunter impression he wails out.

"I see that my services here are no-longer needed. I will be outside, rolling the less-alives for knick-knacks and curios. Toodles."

I'm going to loot the elf and the other dwarf, then drag them into the stable and pose them ontop of each other

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Jotunn Heavy-Hand

Jotunn looks down at the man, then holds up the poster right next to him to make sure the likeness is sufficient enough. Jotunn would have hoped their quarry would have died in battle, he always hated having to execute a disabled foe. "Sorry, but there's a mighty good price on your head. Seventy five gold or my pick of the Lord's armory. Ain't nothing personal."

The dwarf then start to line up his axe with the man's head.

I'm keen to complete our mission here, unless someone wants to convince me not to kill an Imperial witchhunter way outside his jurisdiction, though I don't know he is one.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Henri de Vienne

Henri looks down at the strangely-hatted brigand with a sneer and rests his blade on his shoulder. "You pillage a lord's lands and have the temerity to beg for mercy when vengeance arrives? Find another country to die in during your next life. Time to get paid, Jotunn."

Hooray! We're the good guys!

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Karl offers no resistance as Jotunn grabs a handful of his hair and yanks his head back, exposing his neck. With no intervention from Henri, the dwarf brings the axe down and, with a single stroke, messily ends the life of the witch hunter; through it all, the man holds a stern and hateful expression, hiding any emotion but pure hatred for those killing him. It takes another stroke or three to fully sever the man's head, and when finally free, the Jotunn shoves the man's head into a nearby burlap sack and ties it off.

Greyleaf, in the interim, struggles dragging the heavy dwarf in plate mail out into the yard, abandoning the miserable bastard only a scant few feet away from where he lay before rifling through his pockets. He finds a few dwarven charms, including a wealth stone, and a scant few silver coins, but the real prize is the armor the dwarf is wearing. Whether or not he wants to strip the dwarf completely and steal the undersized armor is still up in the air, but in the mean time, he sets the elf on top of the dwarf in an incredibly suggestive manner, chuckling to himself as he stands back and surveys his handiwork. Archibald bears witness to the crassness of his elven cohort, unfortunately.

Quick update for huntin' crew, grab what you want and leave the dwarf or kill him, then we'll time skip to the castle and get back on the road.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Karl and his entourage are quickly stripped of all valuables and left in a heap inside the cabin, which Greyleaf bars to prevent the dwarf from following should he awaken soon. The horses return, curious and hungry, and it is a simple job to load the loot onto these beasts of burden and mount up. Henri takes the lead, Karl's head hanging from the end of his lance, and the quartet march back to the tower on the backs of four horses, their trophy held high for all to see. Archibald finds himself the proud new owner of a set of fairly nice pistols from Nuln, a bit of an upgrade to his usual sling, while Greyleaf dons the dwarf's armor as a lark, looking like he's donned a gromril tanktop. Jotunn's eyes stay on the head of the witch hunter, knowing what lay in store for him, and Henri dreams of the honor and glory that will be rained upon him by the lord for ridding his land of villainy.

The four return to the tower just as the sun sets, and a young, well dressed man they have yet to meet before greets them at the door. "I am Jason, Lord Aucassin's new majordomo. If you would please follow me, sirs, Madam Cat and Master Gunnbjorn are already waiting for you in the dining hall. The Lord Aucassin has rained much thanks upon them this afternoon, and I am certain they have much to tell you." The man's smile twinkles, and he bows as he steps aside to let the four enter before moving quickly to lead the way.

"Much has happened in your absence, but far be it for me to spread gossip and second hand stories. But do allow me to apologize for any inconvenience Diomedes has given you in your stay at our home." His smile falters as he speaks, and when he finishes, he walks in silence, giving a slight shake of his head to any questions.

Within the dining hall, Cat and Gunnbjorn sit at the head of the table usually reserved for Aucassin, while the lord himself sits to their right; he is deep in conversation with the two when the other four arrive, and he looks up to see the witch hunter's head and smiles. "Ah, I should have known our intrepid heroes would do so well to help my lands. You six have done so much for me in so little time. Truly, the Lady is watching over this tower." He claps a comforting hand on Gunnbjorn's shoulder, giving him a strained smile before he stands.

"Lord Jotunn, my armory is open to you, as promised. I am afraid I will not be able to enjoy a full meal with the lot of you this evening; it is with a heavy heart I must confront the misdeeds of one of my staff that has cut a young maiden's life short, and I will be riding alone to return her to her family, with recompense." As he speaks, his chefs and other members of the kitchen staff enter somberly, bearing platters of meats and vegetables. There is a sense that this is both a celebration of Jotunn's victory, and a mourning of Aucassin's loss.

Before the feast can enter into full swing, the lord Aucassin excuses himself, gathering his cloak about him. Those who care to watch can see Aucassin exit into the courtyard, where his horse awaits. Several of his stewards bear a body to him, and with great ease he takes the limp form of a woman into his arms and carefully places her upon his horse, riding in front of him across his lap. The lord takes off with little ceremony, riding off into the night.

Tricky and McClay: Aucassin has been discussing today's events with you, and has left the ultimate fate of Diomedes up to Gunnbjorn and Cat; you can decide what happened to him in the interim. He is leaving the option of revealing his true nature up to you, and he has spent most of the day interrogating Diomedes about his connections to the Black Knight. He has also agreed to free Bernice, as he was unaware she was being held against her will.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Cat Hogberry-Patch

Cat honestly didn't have much stake in Diomedes's continued well-being... or lack thereof. That was really more Gunnbjorn's bag. She did have a very healthy appreciation for all the delicious food that the vampire Lord Aucassin had been plying her with, as well as the very shiny, very black leather armor that he'd had his tailors fit for her! It was probably the fanciest thing that anyone from Saurapfel had ever worn. And the foods! So many pastries and pies and meats and veggies. It was all in a good days work for a halfling!

As the lonesome, stoic figure of the dark lord of the night rides off with the lady — surely nothing untoward would happen! — Cat takes a moment to wave and call out after him, "Yer welcome yer lordishness! Thanks fer all the feastin' and hostin' and hospitalityin' and whatnots!"

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Archibald Middlemoot

"While we are always glad to help sir, we are sorry for your woes. If there is anything we can do to help. Let us know."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Jotunn Heavy-Hand

Jotunn felt uncomfortable having praised heaped upon him. He didn't do his kind of work for praise. Reputation is important in mercenary work, and he'll never begrudge anyone talking about his dependability, but, dispense with the with the pleasantries and instead dispense the payment. The Dwarf would also not turn down a meal as part of payment.

Jotunn looks over to Greyleaf. "Ya had to go and take me fellow Dwai's armor eh? While it really matches your frame, I think that Klad will look most spectacular on me." Otherwise Jotunn thinks on his reward. He was due anything from the Lord's armory, or 75 gold. The Dwarf's own coinpurse was empty. All the fancy stuff from an armory doesn't do you any good if you don't have money. He was trying to go straight with the mercenary work after all.

What armor did the dwarf have? My planned career exit is veteran, which requires medium/full mail armor as a trapping. If the other dwarf's armor meets that requirement, then I'll probably take the money and split it amongst the three who went with me, with me having the most shares, of course.

Otherwise I'll try to get some mail armor from the vampire's horde.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

Greyleaf

Elf looks down at his bare midriff and sighs "Hrhm. Sadly I have to agree on that one" He clumsily undresses the dwarven armor from himself and offers it to Jotunn.

"At Least now the dwarf's possible living comrades won't think he ran from the fight? It would sound a bit bad, all your friends dead and you standing there, seemingly unharmed."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Werix posted:

What armor did the dwarf have? My planned career exit is veteran, which requires medium/full mail armor as a trapping. If the other dwarf's armor meets that requirement, then I'll probably take the money and split it amongst the three who went with me, with me having the most shares, of course.

Otherwise I'll try to get some mail armor from the vampire's horde.

He was wearing full mail with a breastplate over it. The plate is heavier armor.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Gunnbjorn Magnusson

Gunnbjorn had been mulling over what to do with Diomedes for a while. If it were back home the man would've suffered the blood eagle, but he somehow doubted that even a Brettonian lord more bloodsucking than the rest would be okay with that. Finally he settles on "Just cutting the bastard's head off." A dishonorable death by execution, even the mercy of the blade was worth more than Diomedes's life, but that was what Gunnbjorn had to work with.

As the party enters the room Gunnbjorn turns away from regaling the good Count and Cat with clearly over exaggerated tales of bravery and daring. His smile turns a bit sly and he nods at Henry and the rest. "Hail friends, I hope you had good hunting. We caught our own snake here. Henry, what do you know about the Black Knight?"

mcclay fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 12, 2018

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Henri de Vienne

One could hardly imagine a prouder sight than a young knight with the head of a brigand planted firmly on the end of a lance, he and his horse practically strutting up the path to Aucassin's keep. The abrupt changeover in personnel hardly breaks Henri's stride, as he presents his lance for delivery to the lord of the keep. I'm sure you will do your lord proud service, young man. As you can see, we have met with nothing but success, and delivered justice and wrath."

--

Henri had only sorrow on behalf of his host the noble lord, but took it in stride and with the easy manner of victorious youth. Gunnbjorn's question on the notorious black knight brought an unusually pensive look to the knight's face. "Ah. A rather thorny subject. "Mallobaude" is the name whispered about the courts of Lyonesse, and the rumors about that one are thick indeed -- which given the nature of my home is hardly a sign of truth, but certainly one of trouble. Some say he's a disgraced knight of the Grail, other's that he's some shameful and forgotten bastard of His Majesty. All agree that he seems to be bringing together quite the band of unsavory characters around himself, and some say he even seeks the throne -- though such a thing would surely be impossible, as only one acclaimed by the Lady through Her messenger the Enchantress may do so." Henri shrugs, and continues. "A powerful warrior, all the stories say, but what matters power without honor?"

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Jotunn Heavy-Hand

Thinking things over, Jotunn realized that if the damned elf was going to just parade around in that other dwarf's perfectly good Mail and breastplate, it'd better serve Jotunn, and the coin would best serve them all. Jotunn slips the armor off the skinny elf, and as he starts to put it on, he turns to the Lord as he leaves, "Well Ser, you did offer something from your armory, or seventy gold coins. as you can see here, I got myself a nice piece of armor from that little job, so I'll take me the gold if I can."

With the gold in hand, Jotunn does consider pocketing it all. However, he did realize that he did have some help, and that they were due some compensation. He gathers the coins and splits them into seven equal piles of ten. Jotunn would of course take two shares, as he was the originator of the job. He would also give the elf two shares for killing the other elf, and taking the armor, though Jotunn wouldn't tell him that. but that left three shares between the knight and the damned lawyer? Nah, they each only needed one share. The knight was a knight afterall with armor and a horse what'd he need money for, and the lawyer, what did he even do during that job?

So Jotunn had it settled, 25 for he and the elf, and 10 each for Henri and Archibald. He distributes the money to each intended individual, dropping the 25 gold in with the one gold coin and few silver in his measly coin purse.

Taking the 70 gold and the looted armor, splitting the 70 gold up unfairly among those that cooperated. My character sheet has been updated. I assume the armor is a sleeved mail coat (arms, legs, torso) and a breast plate.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Archibald Middlemoot

Archibald pockets the money, knowing that all he had really done is hang back and provide unneeded fire support. He's not about to give up on any of the money though! He needs some compensation for roughing it.

"So, what's our next move?"

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Jason clears his throat, interrupting the discussion and the meal. "Beg forgiveness, sirs and madams, but might I suggest following the river Grismerie? It will lead you directly to the capitol, and the scoundrel you hunt was making his way there." He gives a wary smile, before continuing on. "The way would take but a day or so, particularly on the horses we will supply you, as is my master's command." Thinking back, the adventurers to recall Aucassin mentioning the lame nag that LeBeau had rode out on, and his ultimate destination. With their host departed and the way clear, the group finishes up their meal and retires for the a final night in Chateau Hane.

I am going to press us forward, regardless, so we can continue on. Feel free to continue the roleplay before reacting to the scene transition; the way there is pretty boring but Mousillon itself is fantastically horrible. Everyone also gains 200XP, putting all of you at 500XP total earned.

Come morning, Aucassin has returned, and true to his word he has insured that anyone lacking a steed has one, although Cat and Archibald are forced to ride with one of their comrades, as the lord has no barding to suit someone of their stature. Brief farewells are given before Aucassin retires to his bed, exhausted from a night of travel, and provisions are doled out to insure the six adventurers can feed their steeds and themselves during the ride. As a final gift, Jason brings out a bundle wrapped in fine velvet, kneeling before the adventurers. Several members of the house staff join him, and as a group they offer up fine lacquered steel weaponry to replace the weaponry that they have used thus far, some of which is beginning to show rust from the humid climes of the swamplands.

Everyone gains either a good craftsmanship hand weapon or good craftsmanship great weapon. They are lacquered black and have bat-wing handguards and skulls set in the pommel. Total good guy weapons.

Bertrand attempts to commemorate the occasion with a song, but as he raises his voice the horses stomp and scream, making it very clear they have no interest in the poet's words. With little ceremony, the four horses ride off into the morning, following the battered path alongside the almost chunky Grismerie river. The sights of the peasant-filled flat lands fly by in a blur, and few people emerge from their hovels and homes to see what the commotion is about. The ride is boring, with only the company of your fellows to keep things even somewhat entertaining. Come nightfall, the peasant lands have turned more brown and less hospitable, and were it not for the provisions and camping supplies given by the Lord Aucassin, it's likely everyone would be eating grass stew and sleeping on a muddy hut floor as a gnarled old crone guts frogs and watches you sleep.

Morning comes, and with it comes a wind carrying the smell of decay. An hour's ride brings the city of Mousillion into view.

The city looks grim and imposing, its sheer, ugly, age-stained walls appearing uninviting and sinister. As the team crests a high hill, they can see the low charnel hills spread to the north, the likely source of the terrible stench of rot. Hovels cluster around the south gates like an infestation of boils, and even after three centuries, the scars of the siege are still fresh and raw on the walls, as if the city is still reeling from the Affair of the False Grail. A paved road is visible leading from the main gate, extending about a mile, old gibbets standing along the road. They extend far towards the group, and after some riding, it's obvious most still contain the mouldering, crow-pecked bones of some long forgotten criminal.

You've made it to the shittiest city in the old world! Yay!

You are approaching the south gate as it stands now.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 21, 2018

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Gunnbjorn Magnusson

Gunnbjorn tries his best not to look too smug, he miserably fails.
"Diomedes, the former Majordomo who you urged me not to kill, was in league with the Black Knight. Cat and I did some investigating and found out where he was stashing a young woman with good spinning skills while you were off killing bandits.

He shrugs and eats some more food.

"Perhaps it is best to listen to my instincts, ja?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOME TIME LATER, IN A CONSIDERABLY SMELLIER PART OF THE DUCHY

Gunnbjorn glares down at Mousillon with unhidden disgust.
"This place reeks worse than a Champion of the Plague God. I am glad Middenheim was not burned, else we would've smelled the stench of a dead city even up in Norsca."

He squints down at the wretched hive of scum and villiany and shakes his head.

"We should make for a tavern in there, or at least the docks. I'm sure the bandit we're chasing told many tales of his treasures to the underbelly of this place."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Also, if you need a mundane Good Craftsmanship item like clothing, food, or liquor, assume you gained it from Aucassin as well.