Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Woo-oo!

DuckTales is the latest mining of Disney’s money bin of intellectual property. The original series debuted thirty years ago in 1987, kicking off the Disney Afternoon and Disney’s long involvement in half-hour television animation. With the original taking loose inspiration from the long line of Disney duck comics, its major contribution to our world is a stupidly catchy theme song. Featuring (some) stories based on classic Barks comics and many originals written for the series itself, DuckTales 1987 had usually solid writing, decent animation (when TMS was at work), and real heart. It had wide appeal and would anchor the new Disney Afternoon block. The swan song of the original series was DuckTales Remastered, a video game that featured the last reunion of the original series cast and acted as kind of a "lost episode."

DuckTales 2017 returns the series more to its roots in Duck comics, taking a more balanced blend of the original TV series along with Carl Barks and Don Rosa comics material. The new show still retains a core of adventure and family starring your favorite ducks. Donald Duck, along with his nephews (via sister) Huey, Dewey, and Louie, go on high adventures with Donald’s estranged rich uncle Scrooge McDuck. Joining them as a more equal member of the team is Webby, with her grandmother Mrs. Beakley and Scrooge’s private driver/pilot Launchpad McQuack rounding out clan McDuck.

DuckTales returns in September.

DuckTales is airing on Disney Channel. You can watch it online on the Disney Now app. If you want a sampling of what the series has to offer, the first episode and several shorts up on YouTube on Disney's channel.

Premiere: Woo-oo!

The Lost Key of Tralala

Meet Huey

Meet Scrooge

Happy Birthday, Donald!

Meet Webby

Meet Launchpad

Meet Mrs. Beakley

Cast of Characters

Scrooge McDuck (voiced by David Tennant) The world’s richest duck who made his fortune by being tougher than the toughies and smarter than the smarties. Scrooge is a wily businessman and keen adventurer who built his initial fortune during a gold rush. Once he had a taste for adventure, he became the world’s richest duck by acquiring artifacts that no duck dared to challenge. In later years, his adventuring spirit waned and settled into the rut of running his legitimate businesses. It takes the return of…

Donald Duck (Tony Anselmo) … to get Scrooge back into high adventure. Donald is Scrooge’s sister’s son, and joined him on many an adventure back in the day. As the series begins, he has not talked with Scrooge for a decade, having spent that time raising Huey, Dewey, and Louie as if they were his own sons aboard his houseboat. Overprotective and cautious, Donald is a short-tempered but resourceful straight man contrast to Scrooge’s risk-taking. Tony Anselmo returns to voice Donald as one of the few 1987 series original cast members.

Jet Huey Duck (Danny Pudi), “the smart one.” Huey is the oldest of the boys by a few minutes. Constantly referencing the Junior Woodchuck Guidebook, his type-A personality makes him the de facto leader and planner of the trio, even though he’s not the first one to get into the action. That would be…

Turbo Dewey Duck (Ben Schwarz) “the brave one.” Dewey has Scrooge’s love of adventure and daring, but not his life experience, so he will make risky or foolish decisions like running in to a laser beam trap or changing the ship’s carefully plotted course to a straight line. Still, with some training and experience, he could be the Rusty Venture to Scrooge’s Jonas. Lastly, there’s…

Rebel Louie Duck (Bobby Moynihan) “the greedy one.” Louie is the youngest of the triplets and is generally the least ethical, spending most of the first episode calling dibs on Scrooge’s stuff or teaching Webby how to lie. Despite that, he seems to have his own brand of honesty, saying out loud what the other boys are just thinking.

Webbigail Vanderquack (Kate Micucci) A much complained about addition to the 1987 DuckTales’ cast, Webby returns in 2017 completely reimagined as a preppy shut-in nerd obsessed with clan McDuck. Half Mabel Pines and half Fred Jones, Webby is an equal to any of the boys in the group and is the chaos element to the four children.

Bentina Beakley (Toks Olagundoye) Webby’s maternal grandmother is Scrooge’s housekeeper and unwilling secretary, though I would best describe her as the avian version of Brock Samson.

Launchpad McQuack (Beck Bennett) Launchpad is Scrooge’s personal driver and overlooked pilot. He’s smarter than he looks, but not by much. Launchpad, rated 10/10 crashes.

“Glittering” Goldie O’Gilt (Allison Janney) is the one duck to ever equal Scrooge in both daring and adventure. Scrooge’s true rival and love, Goldie is the one treasure he was never able to secure in past incarnations, and that will likely be true in the new series.

Gyro Gearloose (Jim Rash) is Duckburg’s resident inventor and semi-ethical scientist. He creates the Gizmoduck suit, which is accidentally discovered by his intern…

Fenton Crackshell-Cabrera / Gizmoduck (Lin Manuel-Miranda). Gizmoduck is Duckburg’s resident Iron Duck superhero. Now with an updated logo that looks like a G instead of R, shedding the last vestige of the prerelease Roboduck branding

Ludwig von Drake (Corey Burton) Corey Burton returns as Ludwig von Drake, but that’s about all we know at this time.

Darkwing Duck is in the series, voiced by Jim Cummings.

Lena (Kimiko Glenn) is Webby's newest friend. A bit of a loner, she opens up to the gang after an adventure with them.

The Rogues (so far)

Flintheart Glomgold (voiced by Keith Ferguson) is the poor man’s idea of Scrooge McDuck. A self-proclaimed super-Scot, Glomgold has put himself through the wringer to become the world’s richest duck, only to continually find himself coming up behind Scrooge. He’s not content with just being better than Scrooge at money, he wants to be better than Scrooge at being Scottish too. Glomgold’s cheap, unethical, and will do whatever it takes, even if it means not curing his terminal boneitis.

Ma Beagle and the Beagle Boys (beloved character actress Margo Martindale and Eric Bauza) are also around to get in Scrooge’s way and commit their own brand of canine felony.

Gladstone Gander (Paul F. Tomkins) is the luckiest goose in the world, and everything comes easy to him. While Scrooge and Donald might not agree on much, Gladstone’s brand of easy living is anathema to both of them, making them a united front against Gladstone’s gladhanding.

Mark Beaks (Josh Brenner) is a new character created for the 2017 series, intended to spoof modern tech billionaires. He’s voiced by Silicon Valley’s Big Head, which is very appropriate, and will hopefully not date this series too much.

Magica de Spell (Catherine Tate) is set to appear in the series.

And I'm sure there'll be more to come.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Is this any good? Yes. Yes it is. I know, it’s 2017 and hating on reboots is the popular thing for several good reasons, but this is a case where they took what people liked about the old thing, made it better while also making it stand alone on its own merits.

Why’d they re-cast all the voices? With two of the main voices of the original series nearing a hundred years of age, expecting them to come back (especially now that they’re dead) is a pretty tall order. If you can’t have all of the original cast, making a total re-cast is probably the best decision, lest you end up with something that is neither fish nor fowl, a la Powerpuff Girls 2017.

I only read the comics and never liked the old TV show, is this any more faithful to the Carl Barks comics than the original series? I would say yes, in that they take a lot more inspiration from both Barks and Don Rosa, but the creators are still doing their own thing. If you’re a real comics enthusiast, there’s a ton of fodder for you in design, background gags, and the fact that Donald is much more involved in the new series. If Don Rosa could quit being grumpy for a moment and actually actually try it, I bet he’d like it.

They mentioned Cape Suzette / Spoonerville / Saint Canard. Does this mean other Disney Afternoon characters could show up? Absolutely! Darkwing Duck is already confirmed to show up in the series, and the creators have stated that they’ve been given carte blanche to mine the Disney Afternoon and other IP for story gold, with the exception of Rescue Rangers (move rights) and Mickey Mouse.

Reference Material

Don Rosa's Duck Family Tree

Webby's Pepe Sylvia Board

Map of Duckburg

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
[reserved for gifs and new stuff]

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Fenton's last name is hypenated now. It's Crackshell-Cabrera now.

Also, if Cape Suzette exists in this universe, does that mean Shere Khan is one of Scrooge's business rivals?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

TFRazorsaw posted:

Thanks, updated.

quote:

Also, if Cape Suzette exists in this universe, does that mean Shere Khan is one of Scrooge's business rivals?

Get Keith David to voice him and I'm on board.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

kefkafloyd posted:

Hnnnnnngh

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TFRazorsaw posted:

It is possible that while we have Cape Suzette in this universe(as well as Sky Pirates), that the characters in Tale Spin that originated in The Jungle Book might be off limits themselves, as apparently there's been some issues in the past between Disney and Ruyard Kipling's estate(as well as the estate of the singer King Louie is based on)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

kefkafloyd posted:

Thanks, updated.

Probably won't be double-booked as Goliath. Of all Disney Afternoon shows to put in a shared universe, that would be the weirdest.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

kefkafloyd posted:

Thanks, updated.

Idris Elba, you mean. Even though a Keith David Kahn...

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

It is possible that while we have Cape Suzette in this universe(as well as Sky Pirates), that the characters in Tale Spin that originated in The Jungle Book might be off limits themselves, as apparently there's been some issues in the past between Disney and Ruyard Kipling's estate(as well as the estate of the singer King Louie is based on)

They've said they're able to use anyone except the Mouse and the Rescue Rangers, fwiw.

Rudoku posted:

Idris Elba, you mean. Even though a Keith David Kahn...

Elba strikes me as above this show's pay grade.

EDIT - Also, these two posts from someone working on the show have already confirmed Ludwig von Drake.

https://suspendersofdisbelief.tumblr.com/post/162046429886/theres-a-bunch-of-articles-that-says-kimiko-glenn

quote:

There's a bunch of Articles that says Kimiko Glenn and Corey Burton are gonna be in the reboot. is it true or this is just a mix up??

Truth! Corey is playing, of course, Professor Ludwig Von Drake. Kimiko is playing a brand new character, worldly globetrotter Lena.
Both are EXCELLENT and a joy to work with.

http://ayellowbirds.tumblr.com/post/164157334093/is-it-alright-to-ask-ifhow-ludwig-is-going-to-be

quote:

is it alright to ask if/how ludwig is going to be related? i always liked the thought of him not actually being a blood relative, just hung around so long that he is considered their family. i know in some old comics, he's related through marriage, so i was wondering if you guys were going to stick to that or do something else? thanks so much for your time!

We have a very specific use for Von Drake that represents the full ambition of our show, story-wise. Very excited for you to see it.

Looks like we'll be finding out how he's related to Donald and Scrooge, as well.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 14, 2017

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Somebody get on the hornbill as soon as this is available somewhere that isn't iTunes.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Edit: woops didnt read all of the first post.

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 14, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

drrockso20 posted:

Given Talespin was kind of a period piece, they might have the setting but the events of the show are historical. Though there has been concept art of the Iron Vulture...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
It wasn't perfect, but I definitely enjoyed the premiere. Not only were there some solid jokes ("Lying, it's the responsible thing to do"), but the animation in particular was absolutely stellar-I love how they tried to emphasize the feel of the show being ripped straight from the comic pages, to the point of utilizing Ben-Day dots in many of the backgrounds. I'm also a fan of just how many references there are to the works of Carl Barks and Don Rosa, especially in the intro-practically every scene is a reference to old paintings Barks did of Scrooge, and one painting is even included in the show itself:

Suffice it to say, I think they've done a great job of adapting the old material into the modern show, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I was a huge fan of both the show and the comics when I was a kid, and I watched the first episode of this and I got a huge kick out of it. Definitely recommend that anyone who's on the edge should give it a try.

Also, I'm curious... what's this "movie rights snafu" regarding the Rescue Rangers??

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The RR property is tied up in Disney wanting to make a film, so they're off limits to the show's creators.

But I dunno, I can't see them fitting even if they had permission. Rescue Rangers works because they're small heroes in a big world. Once they start interacting with the big people and get treated like normal characters you lose a big part of what makes their premise unique.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
As far as I know there isn't a snafu. They just aren't allowed to use it because Disney wants to make a movie. Similar to the Bat embargo from JLU I guess, though that was due to another TV series than a movie.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Bobby Moynihan voices Louie.

Danny Moynihan is apparently a hockey player... or a music artist. Or maybe both.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

ThermoPhysical posted:

Danny Moynihan is apparently a hockey player... or a music artist. Or maybe both.

Thanks for catching the mistake, fixed.

Also, if anyone wants anything in the OP or anything else just say so and I'll pop it there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Something something, The Mighty Ducks.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
As a follow-up to my previous post, it turns out that they literally used Carl Barks paintings in the storyboards:

(Also, fun fact: The episode was directed by Dana Terrace and storyboarded in part by Emmy Cicierega, both veterans of Gravity Falls)

Bonus production gif:

https://twitter.com/DanaTerrace/status/897153918018306048

Edit: Also, have some horrifying too-human Donald:

https://twitter.com/EmmyCic/status/897160568439787521

https://twitter.com/EmmyCic/status/897161144938487809

Cutting commentary:

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/897168452892237824

Edit 2: Alright I keep piling stuff onto this post but holy poo poo this is incredibly cool:

"Frank Angones posted:

Q: Why does DuckTales have an "Imagineering Research Library"?

A: In order to make our show look more like an old comic brought to life, our intrepid art director Sean Jimenez bought massive pieces of blank, weathered newspaper sheets and had his friends at Imagineering do an impossibly high res scan of it. He then layered it under every background in the show to provide that old comic strip texture. If you look closely, you’ll notice the actual newspaper pulp.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 14, 2017

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

1. Disney put my boys Jose Barioca and Panchito Pistoles in one of the Mickey shorts, which means Disney knows they exist and they're cool with using them, so please put them in DuckTales for me, thanks

2. Since apparently the entire Disney vault is useable, that also means they could maybe use some of the weird stuff like Quackshot or Maui Mallard, right?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Disney has made the first episode available on their Youtube channel in case anybody hasn't seen it yet.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I was not expecting to like this. Donald was great throughout. I was not prepared for the last 15 seconds.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sockser posted:

2. Since apparently the entire Disney vault is useable, that also means they could maybe use some of the weird stuff like Quackshot or Maui Mallard, right?

Dewey(?) straight up mentioned Cape Suzette in the first couple scenes so I'm hoping we get some Tale Spin in this. Also whatever Launchpad is flying looks a lot like the seaduck.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Phil Anselmo is knocking it out of the park as Donald. Turns out he does have a varied emotional range besides "smug satisfaction" and "anger".

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

IRQ posted:

Dewey(?) straight up mentioned Cape Suzette in the first couple scenes so I'm hoping we get some Tale Spin in this. Also whatever Launchpad is flying looks a lot like the seaduck.

Launchpad is flying a highly stylized version of a Grumman seaplane, most similar to the Grumman Albatross. Its sister planes are the Goose and the Duck, though the Albatross was the largest and most iconic of those planes.

The Sea Duck is an amalgamation of the Canadair CL-215 Seaplane and a Lockheed P-38 Lightning.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

IRQ posted:

Eh, not quite. The Sea Duck is basically a seaplane version of the C-119 Flying Boxcar. If anything, Launchpad's plane looks more like an oversized Grumman Goose.

edit: kefkafloyd! :argh:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Y'all know your cartoon airplanes, I'll give you that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So part of me wonders if The Moon is going to play a big part in the whole Della Duck myth arc via the Spear of Selene. It's certainly a place that's got a lot of cache with people who know Ducktales prior to this but I wonder if that's a little too inside baseball.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the kids' voices - they just sound too old. I KNOW they're child characters, but it just ends up sounding like "manchild" and for example, that made the difference between me being annoyed by Dewey acting stubborn and rash, instead of feeling sorry for/understanding where he's coming from. Danny Pudi maybe does a little better job of selling it.

However, that's a minor gripe. And actual kids may like the characters the way they are so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Glomgold was also fantastic.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

ConanThe3rd posted:

So part of me wonders if The Moon is going to play a big part in the whole Della Duck myth arc via the Spear of Selene. It's certainly a place that's got a lot of cache with people who know Ducktales prior to this but I wonder if that's a little too inside baseball.

So long as they have an excuse to play *that theme* I'm all for it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Funky Valentine posted:

Phil Anselmo is knocking it out of the park as Donald. Turns out he does have a varied emotional range besides "smug satisfaction" and "anger".

Well, it helps that he's had about 30 years to grow into the role since the previous Ducktales series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just saw it myself, pretty good start and the new cast is fairly solid (the triplets being voiced by adult men wasn't quite as jarring as I'd expected, though Launchpad might take some getting used to, he sounds more like a surfer dude in this one) and I like what they're doing with the kids (Webby even SOUNDS a bit like Mabel Pines, though I could swear I've heard her actress in something before).

One thing though, I know the voice is iconic and all but maybe they could stand to tone it down a bit if they're gonna make Donald a regular in this series, I could barely understand about half of his dialogue in this episode.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 14, 2017

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yil4aK4JE4

I wonder if the finnish dub'll have the same lyrics

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Edit 2: Alright I keep piling stuff onto this post but holy poo poo this is incredibly cool:

I was loving the visual aesthetic but couldn't quite place why, but now it's clearly due to the newsprint texturing. Fantastic.

The premiere is great, love all the comic references, can't wait for more. Do we know how many episodes were made?

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yil4aK4JE4

I wonder if the finnish dub'll have the same lyrics

I've got no idea when's the last time Disney's dubbed any of its series in Finnish (Gravity Falls for example just aired subtitled on the Disney Channel), so probably no sequel to the world's most easily misheard cartoon song lyrics. I don't think there's really a big enough of an audience for a dub anyway.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Launchpad deftly swerves to avoid Arsene Lupin III and Daisuke Jigen.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

kefkafloyd posted:

Launchpad deftly swerves to avoid Arsene Lupin III and Daisuke Jigen.

I was wondering what that was referencing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So how well does the original show still hold up? I was thinking of giving it a rewatch one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

David Tennant is an absolute treasure.