Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Everyone posted:

Currently doing a Season 3 rewatch on "The Lost Harp of Mervana." It's kind of a hoot hearing Beast Boy and Starfire from Teen Titans Go! (Greg Cipes and Hyndon Walch) as two of the hippie Mervanans, Aletheia and Vero. Also loving Della "The only thing I fear is fish" Duck. I miss this show so very much.

IMHO they should have done at least few TV movie-length stories with the major Barks/Rosa stories they didn't cover during the series run. It was COVID-19 time and all non-animation was shut down, sucks that we only got a short Youtube show out of it.

This was the closest we ever got to the "European Duckverse" show, so it sucks so much that it was axed after 3 series, with the endgame taking over for the latter parts of the S3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I still kind of want a Life & Times of Scrooge McDuck movie/series to be honest

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Larryb posted:

I still kind of want a Life & Times of Scrooge McDuck movie/series to be honest

I want this more than anything else from the Mouse, but it won't happen as it doesn't have the appeal due to Barks/Rosa not being that big deal in the US, and they are already locking down on the stories by both authors.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Der Kyhe posted:

and they are already locking down on the stories by both authors.

What does this entail exactly?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Omobono posted:

What does this entail exactly?

They are adding notifiers to Barks stories about "different times and values", and just recently two Don Rosa stories were taken out of reprint cycle, both from the "Life and Times" because of how native Africans were portrayed in the story. It also completely messes up how Scrooge's redemption story goes in the cartoon, and the stupider part is that that exact story was made an episode in the new Ducktales series but only the cartoon were pulled. At least so far.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Der Kyhe posted:

In S1 Scrooge says something akin to "this submarine doesn't have weapons"; first thing Della does after seeing fishmen is arm the warheads. :D

It's a submarine. That goes deep under the ocean. Which has icky disgusting fish in it. And probably Duck-Cthulhu. Of course Della installed weapons in it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Everyone posted:

It's a submarine. That goes deep under the ocean. Which has icky disgusting fish in it. And probably Duck-Cthulhu. Of course Della installed weapons in it.

Well that's silly, Duck-Cthulhu is keeping their reality in existence.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well that's silly, Duck-Cthulhu is keeping their reality in existence.

And that's why the show ended. Della found Duck-Cthulhu and blew him to hell because of fish-racism.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Everyone posted:

And that's why the show ended. Della found Duck-Cthulhu and blew him to hell because of fish-racism.

Hiding her blatant racism towards fish people is also the real reason why Della Duck was originally written off as a non-present character in most of the Barks-Rosa canon.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Der Kyhe posted:

Hiding her blatant racism towards fish people is also the real reason why Della Duck was originally written off as a non-present character in most of the Barks-Rosa canon.

The reason Namor hated surface people wasn't because of colonialism. It's because he encountered a time-traveling Della Duck.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So I'm rewatching the series and realized Donald says "can you do that without losing them?". Jeez, they jumped right in with the foreshadowing

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

So I'm rewatching the series and realized Donald says "can you do that without losing them?". Jeez, they jumped right in with the foreshadowing
Could you remind me what this was about and what it was foreshadowing?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

The reason why Donald cut off all contact with Scrooge for 12 years was because of what happened with Della and the Spear of Selene. He blames Scrooge for her going missing and, as far as he knows, dying. There's even a line from Donald later in the episode that you can barely heard over all the poo poo going nuts in the sunken temple and it's kind of garbled by Tony Anselmo's Donald Voice, but he even yells at Scrooge "This is the Spear of Selene all over again!"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thank you.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

LividLiquid posted:

In the very first episode, Donald is asking Scrooge if he can watch the triplets without losing them (like he did their mother).

Honestly, the first couple of times I heard the line, I thought he'd said "without using them," which seemed more in character for Scrooge.

nine-gear crow posted:

The reason why Donald cut off all contact with Scrooge for 12 years was because of what happened with Della and the Spear of Selene. He blames Scrooge for her going missing and, as far as he knows, dying. There's even a line from Donald later in the episode that you can barely heard over all the poo poo going nuts in the sunken temple and it's kind of garbled by Tony Anselmo's Donald Voice, but he even yells at Scrooge "This is the Spear of Selene all over again!"
This one's easier to parse when Scrooge immediately comes back with "I was NOT responsible for the Spear of Selene!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Numbers posted:

This one's easier to parse when Scrooge immediately comes back with "I was NOT responsible for the Spear of Selene!"

Funny thing is that also tracks, as the finale has Bradford admit he was the one who told Della about the Spear of Selene prematurely.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Ballz posted:

I haven't seen it, but there's a documentary on Rosa that mentions it in the description.

Edit: movie was completed years ago, but I have no idea where to watch/buy it outside of like, Denmark. I remember watching a brief clip online with an excerpt of an interview with Rosa and it was the saddest loving thing. Didn't think I could stomach 75 minutes of pure depression from one of my all time favorite writers.

Sorry for resurrecting this old discussion, but I just started watching the show and have been reading along with the thread.

Being Danish, I was able to track down this documentary and have posted the relevant clip on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eumh2PkB6NU

I distinctly remember it being common knowledge in my childhood that Barks hated Rosa's work, so it is nice to see that it wasn't the full story.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

With the caveat that Rosa was an engineer, that sounds an awful lot like him dancing around Carl being demented out of his mind and being led around the nose by some horrid "handlers" :smith:

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Rappaport posted:

With the caveat that Rosa was an engineer, that sounds an awful lot like him dancing around Carl being demented out of his mind and being led around the nose by some horrid "handlers" :smith:

It is weirdly hard to find any information about this online. You would think a big beef between the two greatest duck artists would have been news. Wikipedia has this to say:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Barks#Later_life posted:

From 1993 to 1998, Barks' career was managed by the "Carl Barks Studio" (Bill Grandey and Kathy Morby—they had sold Barks original art since 1979). This involved numerous art projects and activities, including a tour of 11 European countries in 1994, Iceland being the first foreign country he ever visited. Barks appeared at the first of many Disneyana conventions in 1993. Silk screen prints of paintings along with high-end art objects (such as original water colors, bronze figurines and ceramic tiles) were produced based on designs by Barks.

During the summer of 1994 and until his death, Barks and his studio personally assigned Peter Reichelt, a museum exhibition producer from Mannheim, Germany, as his agent for Europe. Publisher "Edition 313" put out numerous lithographs. In 1997, tensions between Barks and the Studio eventually resulted in a lawsuit that was settled with an agreement that included the disbanding of the Studio. Barks never traveled to make another Disney appearance. He was represented by Ed Bergen, as he completed a final project. Gerry Tank and Jim Mitchell were to assist Barks in his final years.

It would seem that Grandey and Morby were the two managers mentioned by Rosa. Wikipedia provides no sources for this, but googling the names led me to an old mailing list archive mentioning the outcome a lawsuit between Rosa and the studio:

https://nafsk.se/pipermail/dcml/1995-July/004595.html posted:

As I mentioned in another posting, I'm placing this on the mailing list at
the request of Bill Grandey of the Carl Barks Studio:

JOINT STATEMENT OF SETTLEMENT

JULY 6, 1995

This joint statement of settlement is made by and between Don Rosa ("Rosa")
and William R. Grandey ("Grandey") (collectively the "Parties") as of the
above date, and is being made and issued to inform all interested persons
that they have resolved their differences.

1. The Parties are presently involved in a lawsuit in the United States
District Court for the District of Oregon. Both have asserted claims against
each other for defamation of character and both have denied the claims of the
other.

2. The Parties agree that the litigation, and the claims against each
other and the events that form the basis for those claims, are regrettable,
and that it is in their respective best interest and in the interest of those
around them in the industry to end the litigation. Rosa specifically regrets
having made references to Mr. Carl Barks as an "evil genius" and any negative
connotations or references he may have made to or against Grandey including
references to Grandey as the "weasel." Grandey likewise specifically regrets
any inference that Rosa was drunk or engaged in any criminal activity while
attending the comic book convention in Atlanta in June of 1993.

3. The Parties also acknowledge and agree that Rosa's "Scrooge History"
is his own work and was done neither in collaboration with nor with the
endorsement of Mr. Carl Barks. Rosa also acknowledges that the comments by
Mr. Barks about Mr. Barks' opinions of Rosa's work reflect the independent
opinions of Mr. Barks and are not the product of and have not been influenced
by Grandey.

(signed)
Don Rosa
William R. Grandey

So, there was a lawsuit, but Barks wasn't personally involved.

As for the comments mentioned at the end, Barks supposedly disliked "The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck" and felt that giving Scrooge an official backstory was a mistake. Unfortunately, my only source for this is vague memories of things I read 30 years ago.

If anyone knows more details about these matters, I would love to hear them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I was about to complain that the only bad thing about Life and Times was the cost, but it looks like there was a reprint finally. :toot: