Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Next episode Promo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an8IlpSw8Bk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

feedmyleg posted:

Is his voice unusual? Meaning, in either early or modern comics, does he have the same voice as the animated Donald?

VERY early Donald comics (1930s and early 40s) Donald’s mannerisms and dialogue was very similar to the cartoons. When Barks became the main Duck comic guy, Donald’s personality over time became more three dimensional, and his behavior of a hotheaded scamp was mostly dropped by around 1946 or so. You read the dialogue in those comics and it becomes near impossible to hear it in Donald’s canonical voice.

So long story short, Donald’s voice is not considered unusual in most comics, and no one acts like he has a speech impediment. There are always exceptions, but it’s pretty safe to view it that way for most artists, Barks and Rosa in particular.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Ahaha the top "related video" is something called "How Disney XD is Ruining DuckTales" and it's like ten minutes long. Of course there are angry DuckTales purists out there.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Moon Slayer posted:

Ahaha the top "related video" is something called "How Disney XD is Ruining DuckTales" and it's like ten minutes long. Of course there are angry DuckTales purists out there.

I watched the first few minutes out of curiosity and it's actually the dude talking about how there's some kind of Cartoon Network schedule fuckery going on behind the scenes w/r/t the episode release order. Apparently there was supposed to be a Huey-centric episode between Day Trip of Doom and the Great Dime Chase so that the first three episodes after the pilot would have been a Webby-centered one, a Huey-centered one, then a Dewey/Louie-centered so all four kids got some character development before the main arc of the season kicked off. That alleged Huey episode has been shunted off to god knows where now, at least according to this dude and his "inside" sources, and it's basically loving with the rest of the show as a result.

So it's more just 10 minutes of Point of Order bitching rather than "George Lucas Disney XD ruined my childhood." Not that that's any more redeeming.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

nine-gear crow posted:

I watched the first few minutes out of curiosity and it's actually the dude talking about how there's some kind of Cartoon Network schedule fuckery going on behind the scenes w/r/t the episode release order. Apparently there was supposed to be a Huey-centric episode between Day Trip of Doom and the Great Dime Chase so that the first three episodes after the pilot would have been a Webby-centered one, a Huey-centered one, then a Dewey/Louie-centered so all four kids got some character development before the main arc of the season kicked off. That alleged Huey episode has been shunted off to god knows where now, at least according to this dude and his "inside" sources, and it's basically loving with the rest of the show as a result.

So it's more just 10 minutes of Point of Order bitching rather than "George Lucas Disney XD ruined my childhood." Not that that's any more redeeming.

Ah, well that's non-crazy enough even the thread's been talking about it. The source is social media accounts (twitter, tumblr, reddit) of some of the people behind the snow. They originally made a Huey spotlight episode that was supposed to air early on, but it got pushed back until December because it has snow in it, so Disney decided to use it as a "Holiday episode." The result, as we've seen, is a kind of Huey-light experience early on in the show. I wasn't able to really pin down his character until Terror of the Terra-Firmians.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

This is basically Disney Venture Bros

I love it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Webby is a little too keen on deathtraps.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm determined to make my death as cool as possible so I identify with her there

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Inescapable Duck posted:

honestly, it's one of her best qualities. :)

Her, Fred Jones and Grimtooth need to have a con. :D

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Infinitum posted:

I love it

"Mrs. Beakley? Yeah, we're trapped in a cliche, can you get us out of here?"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I believe Living mummies was swapped airing wise with Terror of the Terra Firmians.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

MonsterEnvy posted:

I believe Living mummies was swapped airing wise with Terror of the Terra Firmians.

Close: the terrafirmian ep was meant to be after the mummy one, but the mummy one was still always meant to be after the Gladstone and Mark Beaks eps

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Infinitum posted:

I love it

The hankification of Webby seems to be proceeding well.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oh good, now I want to see her reaction to Brock Sampson and Shoreleave.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Webby, when riding on a public bus, excitedly points out how amazing it is that a dog can wear a tie. The bus driver, who is a dog, throws her off.

You might not care what specific species of animal each character is, but the characters in the show care about it quite a lot.

Literally every character on that bus was a dog except for Webby and the Triplets. It made Webby's outburst even more horrifying.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

RandomPauI posted:

Oh good, now I want to see her reaction to Brock Sampson and Shoreleave.

Wouldn't that be Beakley and... Donald?

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

dragon_pamcake posted:

Literally every character on that bus was a dog except for Webby and the Triplets. It made Webby's outburst even more horrifying.

If Webby's only connection to the outside world has been Scrooge, that says some sinister things about that old rich republican.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Her major, and possibly only, connection is Beakley going by how Scrooge treats the nephews in the first episode. And Beakley explicitly teachers her all about survival and such because she's an ex-spy, which Webby complains about in the first episodes; that her grandma teaches her how to survive, but then never lets her outside to practice or experience those things. So she's gone a little stir crazy running around with no real company beyond her own imagination for years with lots of spy-ish training to occupy her thoughts.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It seems unlikely that Scrooge gave much consideration to his secretary's housekeeper's granddaughter before the nephews arrived. I always assumed it was Beakley that was over-protecting her. Like, if anything I'd expect a gag where he doesn't even know her name.

Also I just found this show and got caught up and I really like it. I hope the GF alum can sneak it just one "Grunkle Scrooge" for old time's sake.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Scrooge doesn't seem surprised by Webby or unfamiliar with her, so they probably know each other, they just haven't really interacted significantly for most of her life, I'd wager. Webby's probably been watching Scrooge for most of her life and possibly learned a lot from him one way or another, she did say she didn't hear an American accent until she was 7.

Kind of the point of living in a mansion is that you have enough room for everyone, generally, hence why Scrooge gets annoyed that Donald is using his bathroom. (of course, the ol skinflint probably doesn't have the water turned on in any other bathrooms except maybe the servants' quarters) We've seen Webby's own collection room but not the living arrangements of the kids yet, which probably isn't important but might be interesting.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Scrooge's only house rule for Donald and the Triplets was "My home, my space" and they were free to do whatever they wanted under Beakley's supervision in the rest of the mansion. That's probably how Webby and Beakley lived in the mansion, free to use the rooms as they saw fit as long as they didn't trash anything.

I liked today's episode. It felt more like a pure treasure hunt than the Atlantis episode because the characters are already established. Huey trying to cheer Dewey up on the hypothetical number of mummies in the tomb was pretty cute.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Scrooge's method of management seems to be to (usually) hire people who are either competent and trustworthy or talented and entertainingly insane, and generally trust them to do their thing. It shows with Beakley and the board of vultures; Beakley rules the manor with an iron fist while Scrooge lets the vultures bore him to death with things he could be spending less money on because he trusts the both of them to do their jobs well. (albiet forgetting that secretary is not part of Beakley's job description) Gyro Gearloose he seems used to having to clean up the messes of and remind him to attempt to communicate politely, but this is Scrooge we're talking about, I think sane science would bore him to death.

Which is both a sign of an intelligent and canny businessman who's been successful enough to become the richest in the world, and makes sense as the management style of someone who likes the freedom to bugger off to some forgotten corner of the world with a bunch of kids and an incompetent pilot at a moment's notice and trust that he'll still be the world's richest duck when he returns.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I would not be suprised that Scrooge hired Launchpad just because he was so terrible at driving and flying, that he was really cheap.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I suspect Scrooge only looked at one statistic—crashes walked away from.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Think of how many potential adventures in exotic locales one can have when your pilot has a "successful flight" rating of .244. Oh no, Launchpad crashed the plane on the moon, whatever shall we do.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If we're guessing, I'd say Launchpad was probably the only guy crazy enough to drive him into our out of some sticky/profitable situation, and earned a job for life as a result. Scrooge is big on loyalty.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Funky Valentine posted:

Think of how many potential adventures in exotic locales one can have when your pilot has a "successful flight" rating of .244. Oh no, Launchpad crashed the plane on the moon, whatever shall we do.

Scrooge did not that Launchpad was a pilot initially. He was just his really really crappy limo driver.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Knowing Scrooge's lifestyle and assortment of nemeses, Launchpad is the only one who didn't run away screaming after a few assassination attempts or robberies.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Launchpad is one of the few who puts up with Scrooge's grumpy rear end, that's probably the most compelling reason. Scrooge needs him, not the other way around.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
You know, it's funny. I don't really recall Glomgold having that big or memorable an impact on the original series, yet he's possibly my favorite part of this show. Every time he or one of his crappy Trump-style brand name products turns up on the show I just smile because this incarnation of him is just such a fun character. You kind of end up rooting for him, even though he's clearly the bad guy. Like, I would honestly be 100% okay if he actually succeeded in killing Mark Beaks in that volcano. Just because it's Glomgold.

Also Beaks is a huge rear end, but whatever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think an oft-overlooked aspect is that Launchpad is, for the most part, absolutely loving fearless. (Horror movie inspired delusions aside) A guy who drives and pilots like he does probably has to be, but still.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I really liked today's episode, this one kind of assuaged the fears I've had. The jokes didn't feel at odds with the plot in this one and it basically felt exactly like I'd want a modernized Ducktales to feel. I'm confident that they Get It now.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Who wouldn't be willing to die for a bor-di-to ?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Landings aside, I do think Launchpad is supposed to be a competent driver/pilot? Like yea that's obviously a huge blind spot to have but even the first ep has shown him do some pretty impressive driving through traffic.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

You know, it's funny. I don't really recall Glomgold having that big or memorable an impact on the original series, yet he's possibly my favorite part of this show. Every time he or one of his crappy Trump-style brand name products turns up on the show I just smile because this incarnation of him is just such a fun character. You kind of end up rooting for him, even though he's clearly the bad guy. Like, I would honestly be 100% okay if he actually succeeded in killing Mark Beaks in that volcano. Just because it's Glomgold.

I think it's because Glomgold is having so much fun with things, whether it's shooting one of his crappy commercials or planning the death of his enemies. Like yeah, he could probably just shoot them then bribe his way out of a trial, but where's the fun in that?

Also just watched today's episode, and I enjoyed it.

It felt like the episode was packed with character moments, in a good way. It was nice to see the dynamic between Webby and Louie in a setting where Webby was the expert. And this episode gave us a solid idea why Scrooge hired Launchpad, the guy has Scrooge's back.

The way they handled the living mummies was cool. They're friendly, decent folk who are open to outsiders and new things. They're not treated as dumb, just really naive. You can also tell that deep down they want better, but are only held back because they don't know any better way.

Also, I love that they heavily implied that the old and sacred rite of mummification is the same thing as making a burrito. :allears:

My favorite bit was at the end where Scrooge offered to pay for Launchpad and the expression on his face when he heard how much it cost and how he tried to get his credit card back.

Edit: Removed the spoiler tags

amigolupus fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 29, 2017

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Avalerion posted:

Landings aside, I do think Launchpad is supposed to be a competent driver/pilot? Like yea that's obviously a huge blind spot to have but even the first ep has shown him do some pretty impressive driving through traffic.

I don't even think it's that he has problems with landings specifically, so much as he just has a problem with his attention span. When he's paying attention he's a good pilot and capable of most things, but his attention wanders easily and it tends to causes crashes, because he can only partially recover in the short time before said crash and change it from lethal to destructive.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The episode has already aired, you don't need to use spoiler tags.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

And it's a powerfully effective combination of Huey's knack for organisation and lists and Dewey's improvisation and bluffing. (and Louie would probably approve of his tactic to make a billion dollars with the least effort just by exploiting gullible investors taken in by buzzwords and marketing)
You know, I'm kind of missing the triplets being straight-up aces and the Junior Woodchucks' manual being an absurdly comprehensive source of knowledge. How can we have moments like the end of "A Letter from Home" when the drat thing is shown to be wrong on its first outing?

Symbolic Butt posted:

I like new Glomgold but I feel like how people feel about new Gyro: It doesn't feel like the same character at all.

Glomgold was a nasty bastard, I guess it's hard to keep the series upbeat and fun with a character like that.
The fact that their rivalry apparently involves regular staring contests kind of lessens his threat level, too. Glomgold is supposed to live on the other side of the world and only rarely interacts with Scrooge, and when that happens, it's always bad news.

Moon Slayer posted:

Ahaha the top "related video" is something called "How Disney XD is Ruining DuckTales 2017" and it's like ten minutes long. Of course there are angry DuckTales purists out there.
Note the bold part. They're not complaining about the show not being original DuckTales, they're complaining about some of the scheduling decisions.

RandomPauI posted:

Who wouldn't be willing to die for a bor-di-to ?
Not a fan myself. And I don't understand the Emperor and Rogal Dorn's obsession with tacos either.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
...Laundpad's a pilot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It looks like Magica is going to be the 'rarely appearing, deadly serious threat' villain rather than Glomgold. (With Glomgold possibly taking on a bit of Rockerduck with their rivalry being as much pissing contests as violent conflict)