Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Got seeing this the other day and thought it was great fun; really captured a lot of the spirit of the comics and I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with it. I particularly enjoyed the new credits with them all jumping out of comic strips and running across the title card etc.

I liked David Tennant as Scrooge a lot, though as I mentioned in the couch chat thread, I still think he sounds maybe a little too young?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

mfcrocker posted:

I watched the first episodes of this last night and it's loving brilliant. Between this and Sonic Mania I'm having a very good week.

:agreed: and :same:

Did not expect to laugh as often as I did.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN7JOeUDhtc

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I do like the touch of having Scrooge's business associates being vulture capitalists. :v:

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 16, 2017

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I'm now very curious to see the way in which Webby's grappling hook is introduced in the show. Maybe it's another skill taught to her by her grandma? And speaking of, I'm now imagining adult Webby with her grandmother's physique... the girl has some catching up to do!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

X_Toad posted:

I'm now very curious to see the way in which Webby's grappling hook is introduced in the show. Maybe it's another skill taught to her by her grandma? And speaking of, I'm now imagining adult Webby with her grandmother's physique... the girl has some catching up to do!

Oh I'm sure the internet has already taken care of that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

X_Toad posted:

She's basically Mabel Pines in duck form, which is still a step up from how she was in the original series (they even gave her a less grating voice). Honestly, so far the only character I still prefer the original to is Launchpad as, well, he sounds like a surfer in this version. Fortunately the dialogue he's given makes up for it though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think Webby's original characterization was all that bad, although it did dwell too much in stereotypes. I think she had more character than the triplet gestalt at least. I guess it does fit to redo her if they're actually going to make the triplets into characters.

I still feel like all the kids have got to be like twice their old age from what they're doing.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I like new Webby. She's got a good balance of skills and flaws. She's an action girl but she has bad people skills.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The kids' personalities all basically start with their sibling status. Huey is older sibling so he's competent and likes to take charge. Dewey is the middle sibling so he struggles to get recognition and stand out from the pack. Louie is the younger sibling so he's spoiled and used to getting his way. Webby is the only child so she's eager to have friends and get out from under her doting parent figure.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I thought this was fantastic. The animation is beautiful and the voice cast was all excellent. Webby is much improved.

And I enjoyed Roxanne from A Goofy Movie being next to Donald in the waiting room for his interview.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

sportsgenius86 posted:

And I enjoyed Roxanne from A Goofy Movie being next to Donald in the waiting room for his interview.

She found another job with the reporters pretty dang quick.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Roxanne was the daughter of Goofy's neighbor right?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

RandomPauI posted:

Roxanne was the daughter of Goofy's neighbor right?

Nope, she was a new character introduced in Goofy Movie as Max's love interest(but was dropped for the sequel, only to come back for House of Mouse, but then disappeared again the next time we saw an adult Max in one of the CG Christmas specials)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Weirdly enough, the closest counterpart I can think of for new Webby is Hank Venture; decent adventuring skills but bad people skills due to being sheltered, mentored by a hulking badass parental figure, desperately wants to get in on the action, imaginative to an almost dangerous point.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

DoubleCakes posted:

I like new Webby. She's got a good balance of skills and flaws. She's an action girl but she has bad people skills.

A bit like Sadie! :3:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

This is a really, really good show. I wasn't expecting it to be this good but it totally works, the humor is on point and the only thing that bothers me is I still can't for the life of me figure out what Donald is saying most of the time.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

Weirdly enough, the closest counterpart I can think of for new Webby is Hank Venture; decent adventuring skills but bad people skills due to being sheltered, mentored by a hulking badass parental figure, desperately wants to get in on the action, imaginative to an almost dangerous point.
Comparisons to the Venture Brothers are a dime a dozen on this thread recently. It's like Venture Brothers has gained so much recognition that now DuckTales feels like the PG version of Venture Brothers rather than Venture Brothers being the R version of Johnny Quest. Kind of like a big circle. To be fair, Beakley's imposing figure apparently didn't help.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

X_Toad posted:

Comparisons to the Venture Brothers are a dime a dozen on this thread recently. It's like Venture Brothers has gained so much recognition that now DuckTales feels like the PG version of Venture Brothers rather than Venture Brothers being the R version of Johnny Quest. Kind of like a big circle. To be fair, Beakley's imposing figure apparently didn't help.

All three of those properties do draw from the same well of globetrotting adventure pulp fiction, to be fair. Given how both VB and the new DuckTales are focusing on character ensembles, it seems a good point of comparison.

They haven't focused greatly so far on Scrooge's stinginess, possibly because it's not exactly an endearing quirk for the rich in this day and age, though I imagine Launchpad stays employed because Scrooge figures it's cheaper to pay for relatively occasional damages than hire a competent chauffeur/pilot/skipper.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like extreme stinginess could be an endearing quirk in this day and age, what with current rich people seemingly being obsessed with showing off their wealth (with an extreme version of that mindset currently residing part-time in the White House). Scrooge being the richest duck in the world yet absurdly cheap (and we're not just talking his employees or family here, he doesn't allow himself many luxuries either) was always one of the funniest part of his character. Of course, it probably doesn't really work for DuckTales, what with him having that huge mansion to house his nephews. Obviously, that version of the character doesn't hesitate to spend money for his comfort.

Aside from that, Scrooge not being stingy brings in another problem : Donald's influence on the boys. He's the one who's helped make them generous and caring on top of all the qualities that Scrooge likes in them. If you take away Scrooge's stinginess, it takes away from Donald's character, I think.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Point there. Though Scrooge's mansion does seem to have a lot of dusty rooms he doesn't use and clearly doesn't pay more cleaning staff than he needs to.

Scrooge is stingy, but if he thinks he needs something, he won't cheap out on it. (Usually) Though he never pays more than he absolutely needs to for anything, and is definitely the type to take a dusty, way-obsolete diving suit out of storage and try to fit into it rather than shell out for some modern equipment. Between that, makes sense to own a big fancy house just so you have room to put everything.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think Webby's original characterization was all that bad, although it did dwell too much in stereotypes. I think she had more character than the triplet gestalt at least. I guess it does fit to redo her if they're actually going to make the triplets into characters.

I still feel like all the kids have got to be like twice their old age from what they're doing.

You hit part of the problem with old Webby right there, I could swear in the original she was like toddler aged which of course isn't really going to be a great girl character since she's inherently written even more childish.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

They had that short where Scrooge used the weird cursed candle on Donald's birthday cake because it was too expensive to shell out for new candles every birthday. His stinginess is definitely there, it just wasn't important in the pilot.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

X-O posted:

My favorites were anything with Louie. Especially so right at the beginning when Donald asked where Dewey was and Huey said "Who's Dewey?" and then Louie just slowly turns his head and says "Who's Dewey?" incredulously.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
...Well now I want a hamburger.

Also, while I loved the original and this is off to a great start, this one gets bonus points for giving me a reason to learn the difference between the triplets.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

...Well now I want a hamburger.

Also, while I loved the original and this is off to a great start, this one gets bonus points for giving me a reason to learn the difference between the triplets.

Huey is red, and red is the strongest hue.
Dewey is blue, like water, which dew is made of.
Louie is leaf-green.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

She's basically Mabel Pines in duck form, which is still a step up from how she was in the original series (they even gave her a less grating voice). Honestly, so far the only character I still prefer the original to is Launchpad as, well, he sounds like a surfer in this version. Fortunately the dialogue he's given makes up for it though.

I made this comment elsewhere, but Webby is a bit like a fusion of the Pines Twins. All of DIpper's interests and obsessions but with Mabel's level of unreserved enthusiasm.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

I made this comment elsewhere, but Webby is a bit like a fusion of the Pines Twins. All of DIpper's interests and obsessions but with Mabel's level of unreserved enthusiasm.

And I'm perfectly fine with that. There seems to be a bit of Gravity Falls influence in the show besides her as well (speaking of which, isn't Alex Hirsch involved with this show somehow?)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Larryb posted:

And I'm perfectly fine with that. There seems to be a bit of Gravity Falls influence in the show besides her as well (speaking of which, isn't Alex Hirsch involved with this show somehow?)

Hirsch isn't, but a ton of former Gravity Falls crew (Including Dana Terrace, Emmy Cicierega, John Aoshima, and others) are.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Webby is my favorite of the rebooted characters, purely based on how intense she is in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NPoyDlit1g

The fact that she takes a moment to pull up her goggles just to smugly glare at him as she finishes him off is what clinches it for me. :allears:

"This is no foyer. This is a tomb." :commissar:

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Webby's voice sounds also a lot like Mabel's by way of Velma Dinkley (from Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!, obviously) for me.

The voice acting might also be one of the reasons Louie feels weird to me : I keep hearing Panda and/or Chozen every time he speaks!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

X_Toad posted:

Webby's voice sounds also a lot like Mabel's by way of Velma Dinkley (from Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!, obviously) for me.

The voice acting might also be one of the reasons Louie feels weird to me : I keep hearing Panda and/or Chozen every time he speaks!

That makes sense considering Webby's current actress also did the voice of Velma (don't remember which cartoon though).

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Larryb posted:

That makes sense considering Webby's current actress also did the voice of Velma (don't remember which cartoon though).
It's the one I mentioned, Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!. A totally underrated and unfairly reviled show, by the way.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X_Toad posted:

It's the one I mentioned, Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!. A totally underrated and unfairly reviled show, by the way.

It's the Teen Titans or Brave & The Bold thing where fans love a more serious version that preceded the goofy silly incarnation, so even if both are good on their own merits, the funny one is maligned.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Kate Micucci acts, she voice acts, she sings, she writes, she does other assorted art projects. Why wouldn't she know how to make and set up things like pillow bouncing Betties?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

Kate Micucci acts, she voice acts, she sings, she writes, she does other assorted art projects. Why wouldn't she know how to make and set up things like pillow bouncing Betties?

The best thing is she used to do a one-woman music/improve show called "Playin' with Micucci" when is just delightful on a pun level.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Xelkelvos posted:

Larryb posted:

Not to mention that the backstory has a pair of twins going on adventures with their wealth-obsessed gruncle.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

X_Toad posted:

If I remember correctly the previous Scooby Doo was a big hit critically because it kind of skewered and had fun with the way the show had always been done so I'm not surprised the followup would be unfairly looked upon. That almost always seems to happen when people like a certain incarnation of something. I liked that version quite a bit but I never saw or honestly even heard of Be Cool Scooby Doo until this very post.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

X-O posted:

If I remember correctly the previous Scooby Doo was a big hit critically because it kind of skewered and had fun with the way the show had always been done so I'm not surprised the followup would be unfairly looked upon. That almost always seems to happen when people like a certain incarnation of something. I liked that version quite a bit but I never saw or honestly even heard of Be Cool Scooby Doo until this very post.

It was the one that looked like it was drawn by Seth MacFarlane. Despite being a bit goofy it didn't seem that bad from what little I saw of it.

Back on topic, my only real gripe with the premiere is that they kind of cram the majority of the main cast into the first episode while the original seemed to space things out a bit better (I believe characters like Launchpad and Mrs. Beakly/Webby weren't introduced until like the second or third episode of the first show). It still handles it well enough (in fact, I think I kind of like the reboot better overall. Not that the original isn't still a decent show).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Webby is my favorite of the rebooted characters, purely based on how intense she is in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NPoyDlit1g

The fact that she takes a moment to pull up her goggles just to smugly glare at him as she finishes him off is what clinches it for me. :allears:

"This is no foyer. This is a tomb." :commissar:

What gets me is that she somehow shot him in the backside ("Ow, my tail bone!") inspire being at point blank range to his face.

It's probably a blunder but its just so odd it loops back around to funny.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 18, 2017