Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

nine-gear crow posted:

find someone who can live up to Tony Jay

good loving luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

Have Shere Khan be a local Billionaire in Asia who Scrooge basically has to deal with any time he walks into Khan's turf to do adventuring.

I like that. Going with a Chinese or Indian actor with an accent could be a lot more interesting than trying to ape the old voice.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

I like that. Going with a Chinese or Indian actor with an accent could be a lot more interesting than trying to ape the old voice.

That's also a great option. Anil Kapoor could probably do a good Khan, I mean the man is the Indian Jack Bauer after all. 90s Khan was more the dude who colonized India rather than came out of India.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's always the classic "we couldn't get this actor with the deep distinctive voice" move of just having Corey Burton be Shere Khan.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

There's always the classic "we couldn't get this actor with the deep distinctive voice" move of just having Corey Burton be Shere Khan.

The KH series has proven that he can do a decent impression of both Tony Jay and Christopher Lee so he could probably pull it off well enough.

Also, I finally saw the episode. God drat that ending, why is this show about cartoon ducks making me feel things :(. The finale is next week right (this seems like the perfect setup anyway since Scrooge is now alone and isolated and Magica has full control over Lena)?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

The KH series has proven that he can do a decent impression of both Tony Jay and Christopher Lee so he could probably pull it off well enough.

Also, I finally saw the episode. God drat that ending, why is this show about cartoon ducks making me feel things :(. The finale is next week right (this seems like the perfect setup anyway since Scrooge is now alone and isolated and Magica has full control over Lena)?

And David Werner! :eng101: Dude was busy during Kingdom Hearts II so Burton subbed in for Sark using his Shockwave voice, which was based off Werner to begin with.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

nine-gear crow posted:

And David Werner! :eng101: Dude was busy during Kingdom Hearts II so Burton subbed in for Sark using his Shockwave voice, which was based off Werner to begin with.

The funny part about that is that apparently Warner was totally up for playing Sark and the MCP again, they just didn't bother asking him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Actually, I had a better Shere Khan idea: Art Malik.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you want to make a Ducktales revival show at all, it's hard to do that and fit Donald into the plot because Launchpad filled his role and you can't cut Launchpad because he's also iconic.

I don't really buy this argument, because they mananged to fit Ms. Beakley in as an active member of adventures while keeping her distinct from Scrooge or Launchpad by having her be overly-protective and worried about the kids; which is a role that would be perfect for Donald as well given the setup they already have going. Overly protective on it's own has a rather finite lifespan, but if you made Scrooge more lackadaisical about the kids safety in general (through self confidence as much as self-involvement) Donald's overly protective nature could make a good fit and act as a balance while keeping the two at odds regularly in the story. Which would seem to fit in well given the backstory with Della. There are almost certainly other ways he could fit in without seeming obtrusive or redundant too.

kefkafloyd posted:

You need the English spin for Shere Khan to work.

If he was willing to slum it, Idris Elba would be perfect.

Idris still does the occasional TV work, including a miniseries he made a few years ago called Guerrillas (about black power movements in Britain in the 70s) and some passion projects for a network called Channel 4 like learning to kickbox or drive exotic cars that almost certainly don't pay well but give him the funding and contacts to do stuff that would otherwise be more troublesome to organize. Guerrillas had little enough advertising or social exposure in general that I can see him doing other shows if he loved something about them regardless of their relative size or pay.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Larryb posted:

Who'd they have in KH that needed Tony Jay's voice? Did they eventually do a Hunchback world?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Some Numbers posted:

Who'd they have in KH that needed Tony Jay's voice? Did they eventually do a Hunchback world?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxarSaJC30I

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'm still mad they wasted Hunchback of Notre Dam on a side game, but considering the nature of the worlds you visit in Dream Drop Distance at least it would be easy to justify going through the plot all over again

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah in the 3DS game. He also did the voice of Ansem the Wise in the games they couldn't get Christopher Lee for. Dude's got a pretty impressive range I'll give him that.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Christopher Lee is someone who could have done a really good Shere Khan too....

Now I'm depressing myself thinking about iconic actors who have passed.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
So what I’m hearing right now is that Disney needs to hire us to be the Duck-verse story committee?

Edit: Actually let’s go with story junta. I’ve always wanted to be in one of those.

J33uk fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 13, 2018

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Like, we don't even know H/D/L 's dad's name! After like eighty years of stories!
He's (Aunt)Daisy's brother.

edit: this show and this thread is making me aware that I have much stronger Duckpinions than I had previously realized

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Re: Donald's voice: he definitely has a different voice in the comics but I'm never sure what he should sound like in my head; I go back and forth between Joe Pesci in Goodfellas and Jack Lemmon. :v:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Larryb posted:

Yeah in the 3DS game. He also did the voice of Ansem the Wise in the games they couldn't get Christopher Lee for. Dude's got a pretty impressive range I'll give him that.

Burton played Count Dooku in the Clone Wars cartoon; they brought in Christopher Lee to play Dooku in the Clone Wars pilot movie. Lee heard Burton do some lines in his Dooku voice and turned around to ask the directors why they paid out the nose for him when Burton does a pitch-perfect impression of his voice.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Re: Donald's voice: he definitely has a different voice in the comics but I'm never sure what he should sound like in my head; I go back and forth between Joe Pesci in Goodfellas and Jack Lemmon. :v:

Yeah, he's always spoken normally in the comics and other print media (though then again I'm not entirely sure how you'd translate his cartoon voice to text).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 14, 2018

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Wait people who keep saying that Donald's voice sounds normal in the comics are saying that not as a joke? Seriously?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
This talk of high profile actors kinda makes me want Kumail Nanjiani somewhere on the show.

I don't know where, not that I think he should play Shere Khan. Someone in some sort of East Asian local. Maybe a Shere Khan type Mastermind hiding behind a jovial visage. Maybe a duck, so he can be from... Quackistan :haw:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SomeJazzyRat posted:

This talk of high profile actors kinda makes me want Kumail Nanjiani somewhere on the show.

Dijon? They’re bringing him back, aren’t they?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Just got caught up on the series and, while I know I'm quite late to post about it, I have to say the thing I found the single most amusing was when episode 16 revealed the reason Donald hadn't appeared in the previous few episodes was because he was stuck in the pantry.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

counterfeitsaint posted:

Wait people who keep saying that Donald's voice sounds normal in the comics are saying that not as a joke? Seriously?

Yeah. Writers don't use a weird phonetic accent while writing him like Claremont did with the X-Men, and he doesn't have a hard to read font so he talks just like the rest of the characters.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Adnor posted:

Yeah. Writers don't use a weird phonetic accent while writing him like Claremont did with the X-Men, and he doesn't have a hard to read font so he talks just like the rest of the characters.

Of course it does, it's words on a page, why would that be hard to hear? That fact that multiple people pointing it out were doing so seriously and not as a joke is what threw me. That's like one step away from pointing to a Ducktales episode script and pointing out how simple Donald is to understand on the page there too, so therefore it's all fine.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

counterfeitsaint posted:

THERE. ARE. FOUR. TRIPLETS.

Well of course, there's Webby.

I think the producers did say that Don Karnage was recast, and the Three Caballeros will be too, because they want to commit to authenticity and have characters voiced by an actor from the same ethnicity and culture. (Magica de Spell aside, anyway) Kind of a lot to make up for given how much DuckTales and its various inspirations were originally built around exotic locations as set dressing and insensitive stereotypes.

Probably a lot of directions they could go with Cape Suzette. I'm reminded of it being a bit of a unique setting at the time as, iirc, a nonspecific Pacific island location. Maybe around south-east Asia? They did encounter (rather offensive) analogues to China and Soviet Russia. Though also inland areas resembling frontier USA. Ah, cartoon geography. (let alone the implication that the triplets were taking the houseboat there from Duckburg, which raises its own set of questions. They're usually not naive, after all)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well of course, there's Webby.

I think the producers did say that Don Karnage was recast, and the Three Caballeros will be too, because they want to commit to authenticity and have characters voiced by an actor from the same ethnicity and culture. (Magica de Spell aside, anyway) Kind of a lot to make up for given how much DuckTales and its various inspirations were originally built around exotic locations as set dressing and insensitive stereotypes.

Well in Karnage's case it's because they want an actor from a place they could be from. Cause who the hell knows what Karnage's accent is supposed to be.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well in Karnage's case it's because they want an actor from a place they could be from. Cause who the hell knows what Karnage's accent is supposed to be.

It kind of teetered between French and Spanish depending on Jim Cummings's mood :v:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
OG Don Karnage is clearly Ricky Ricardo by way of Tigger.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Extremely terrible accents are another staple of the pulp adventure fiction that DuckTales and Talespin heavily draw from.

Looking up VAs out of curiosity, wondering if there's any spoilers there... huh, Glomgold is Keith Ferguson, who played Bloo in Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends. (also seems a likely hint that Glomgold is not at all Scottish) And Goldie O' Gilt's VA, Allison Janney, played Dr Doofenshmirtz's ex-wife. And Falcon Graves is Robert Atkin Downes, who plays Kazuhira Miller, Travis Touchdown and The Medic. And they actually cast an Egyptian actor for Toth-Ra and Sabaf, and Greek actors for Zeus, Storkules and Selene.

Also, apparently Magica de Spell's original look was based on Sophia Loren, and in the comics she's Italian. (no doubt helps with their popularity in Italy)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Also in the comics and the '87 show Glomgold was also an Afrikaner pretending to be Scottish because he had an obsessive hateboner for Scrooge and wanted to be him as much as he also wanted to kill him. They've said that in this version Glomgold is a pure Scot too just like Scrooge, but seeing as how literally everything else about him is a shoddy shame, maybe his backstory is too. Who knows...

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And Goldie O' Gilt's VA, Allison Janney, played Dr Doofenshmirtz's ex-wife.

She also won an Oscar.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

nine-gear crow posted:

Also in the comics and the '87 show Glomgold was also an Afrikaner pretending to be Scottish because he had an obsessive hateboner for Scrooge and wanted to be him as much as he also wanted to kill him. They've said that in this version Glomgold is a pure Scot too just like Scrooge, but seeing as how literally everything else about him is a shoddy shame, maybe his backstory is too. Who knows...

Think you got it backwards. 87 he was Scottish (Cause of controversy in South Africa they did not want him to be one. ) In comics he is just South African. In this show they implied he was a fake Scott who is trying to outdo Scrooge in everything. Even being more Scottish then him.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What's the original Magika DeSpell storyline in the Carl Barks comics?

edit: nvm, it's The Midas Touch 1961

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Somehow my brain misinterpreted Keith Ferguson as Craig Ferguson...for several months.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

eatenmyeyes posted:

Somehow my brain misinterpreted Keith Ferguson as Craig Ferguson...for several months.

And now you've made me sad.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably a lot of directions they could go with Cape Suzette. I'm reminded of it being a bit of a unique setting at the time as, iirc, a nonspecific Pacific island location. Maybe around south-east Asia? They did encounter (rather offensive) analogues to China and Soviet Russia. Though also inland areas resembling frontier USA. Ah, cartoon geography. (let alone the implication that the triplets were taking the houseboat there from Duckburg, which raises its own set of questions. They're usually not naive, after all)
I saw Cape Suzette as a San Francisco analog, with King Louie's being somewhere in the South Pacific. Like when Cape Suzette is invaded by Pandas in that one episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I thought Cape Suzette was more of a Hawaii, or maybe even New Zealand. Hard to say, it's been a while since I watched much of it.

Interestingly, while the McDuck Manor episode made some meta jokes about how Launchpad replaces the role that Donald Duck usually took in the Scrooge comics, in-universe it seems strongly implied that he took the role of Della Duck as Scrooge's go-to pilot, which might be partly why Scrooge is happy to put up with Launchpad's... signature style. It probably doesn't help that both of them (Scrooge and Della that is) are strongly implied to be hardcore adrenaline junkies.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Y'all are just making me really want a full reboot of Talespin. Cut it out until there's an actual possibility, my heart is fragile!

Brb gonna go watch Tales of the Gold Monkey again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Y'all are just making me really want a full reboot of Talespin. Cut it out until there's an actual possibility, my heart is fragile!

Brb gonna go watch Tales of the Gold Monkey again.

They've mentioned Cape Suzette and literally had Don Karnage on screen. They also brought back Darkwing Duck.

It's totally possible that they'll be rebooting Tale Spin.