Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Wasn't the the guy who screams "spice fight!!!!!!" in the foreground of the spice shop Don Canard's second in command from TaleSpin? But with an eye patch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ikanreed posted:

Wasn't the the guy who screams "spice fight!!!!!!" in the foreground of the spice shop Don Canard's second in command from TaleSpin? But with an eye patch?

That was Ugly Mug from this show's version of Don Karnage and the Air Pirates. He's not exactly the guy from TaleSpin.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
If Rockerduck's "In America!" is a Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged reference, I might actually shout something at my screen.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
They deserve credit for coming up with the Istanboar/Swanstantinople joke and then separate further credit for not belaboring or calling attention to it. They only mentioned Swanstantine and "his city" and let you fill in the rest yourself.

Especially when the obvious play is to fill the city with Turkeys.

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 4, 2020

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I thought it was "Istanbull" but I've got terrible hearing.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Nameless Pete posted:

They deserve credit for coming up with the Istanboar/Swanstantinople joke and then separate further credit for not belaboring or calling attention to it. They only mentioned Swanstantine and "his city" and let you fill in the rest yourself.

Perfect on all points.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

ikanreed posted:

I thought it was "Istanbull" but I've got terrible hearing.

I heard "Istanbird" myself

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
But we all heard swanstantine, finally completing the rear end in a top hat waterfowl trifecta.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Senerio posted:

Donald's anger helped him get off the Planet Moon...

The moon's not a planet!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
One thing I appreciated that is FOWL allows for all types. Ghandra didn't want to hurt children and her actions showed that.

Meanwhile with Violet's occult knowledge and Louie's... flexible ethics. I wonder if they'll somehow fuse into one being so we get Duck John Constantine.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nameless Pete posted:

The show seems to be deliberately avoiding mapping any real life ethnicity/nation to one animal species, which is probably for the best.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I just now realized that they never went to Tokyo, they went to Tokyolk. But Japan is still Japan.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Smart writing that that while Webby and Dewey stuck together as you'd expect, they paired up the others to the opposite of their counterparts. We have already had a Huey vs Violet episode after all, though not sure we've had Louie and Lena. I get the feeling both of them would rather stay home watching TV if given the option. And I get the feeling they're going to get a lot of use out of Violet's array of esoteric interests and hobbies.

Definitely a Jojo's reference there, and the group chasing after an ancient mystical artifact seems kinda fitting? Also, Lena stopping time and Huey embracing his inner power. The Duke Of Making A Mess certainly sounds like a Stand. Does demonstrate like in his intro episode that Steelbeak is dangerous specifically because he's so direct- he's just smart and ambitious enough to make use of fairly complex plans, but using your overwhelming physical might to overpower your foe is a perfectly valid strategy when you have the option.

Reminds me of the charades that while Dewey and Webby work together ridiculously well, they're not perfect, and quickly run into issues- Dewey is proactive, confident and tends to get tunnel vision, while Webby tends to follow and can be as rigid-minded as Huey- makes sense for someone who's had an absurd amount of training but very little practical experience til the start of the show.

Oh, and Rockerduck's botched cryogenics do seem to make him a good subtle counterpart to Scooge and Goldie, who are more proactive in their adventures and found semi-accidental but more reliable methods of extending their lives, while Rockerduck just got what he could pay for and it turns out that wasn't that great.

Everyone posted:

One thing I appreciated that is FOWL allows for all types. Ghandra didn't want to hurt children and her actions showed that.

Thing is with Gandra is that as well as ethics, she has scruples and discretion- things many of her co-workers lack and which likely are the reason she's Bradford's go-to tech support. A good fit in an organisation that makes a point of not showing their hand if they can at all help it.

Actually one of the most interesting things about FOWL and what gives Venture Bros vibes; a supervillainous organisation whose members have conflicting agendas, mindsets and ways of doing things, both in major plans and mere aesthetics.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Nov 4, 2020

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Why is Rockerduck the heir aparent of the R
Rockerduck fortune? Shouldn't all his relatives be dead?

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

ikanreed posted:

There were a bunch of minor villain cameos in the spice shop, including Hack Smashnikov from the pilot and the bikers from the Astro Boyd episode.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

cant cook creole bream posted:

Why is Rockerduck the heir aparent of the R
Rockerduck fortune? Shouldn't all his relatives be dead?

Presumably he's pretending to be his own great-whatever grandson so he can inherit specifically because all the other relatives aren't dead.

Check this out.

The last direct descendant oof President Abraham Lincoln was a guy named Robert Todd Lincoln Beckwith. He was Lincoln's great-grandson born in 1904. According to that chart, his wife was a woman named Anna Marie Hoffman. If there was a ginormous Lincoln fortune (and there's not as far as I know), she'd be the one who'd inherit it.

However, if Mary Lincoln Beckwith had gotten secretly married and had a kid, then that kid would be most likely to inherit based on a direct like to Lincoln. Assuming of course that the various wills bore that out.

And figure since Rockerduck went into cryo planning to reclaim his fortune later, his wills probably do bear that out.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 4, 2020

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Moving through first season still (very sporadically watching TV nowadays). Them introducing Scrooge's parents and the Knights Templar treasure hunt from one of Don Rosa's later comics is pretty dope. Fergus looking like Rosa would draw him is nice.

[edit] ahhahah Launchpad pretending to be Donald is gold. Quuuaaaack?

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 5, 2020

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Rosa's Life & Times is basically considered the show's bible for Scrooge's backstory.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Gaz-L posted:

Rosa's Life & Times is basically considered the show's bible for Scrooge's backstory.

As it should dagnabbit.

Watching now how they include the bit of Fergus giving Burt the Ditchdigger the dime. That's a neat pull.

[edit] hahah holy poo poo this show has some great dialogue.

"Doctor Gearloose?"
"...some kid?"

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 5, 2020

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

Huey fighting like Donald. :allears:

If he trains* he might be able to keep up with Webby.

*asks Lena to Groundhog Day him again

BigglesSWE posted:

[edit] hahah holy poo poo this show has some great dialogue.

This show's writing just in general is great. Have you seen Last Crash of the Sunchaser yet?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

tsob posted:

Has Donald's anger ever actually achieved anything? I haven't watched season one since it aired, but I recall finding his displays of anger kind of underwhelming there, and nothing stood out in season two or three after watching them over the past week or so either. It makes him feel kind of pointless compared to everyone else in the cast, at least on adventures, since Scrooge, Launchpad, Della, Ms Beakley and Webby are all really competent fighters, who contribute in combat regularly (at least, when they are there in Ms. Beakley's case), but despite the show constantly talking about how great Donald's anger is and how strong he is as a fighter when he's angry I don't recall him ever actually accomplishing anything when he's angry. Generally he gets steaming mad, runs at someone, makes a blurry circle as he spins around them for a few seconds and is then pushed away in some manner, before deflating and losing all threat. His role seems to be more as a good parent, but even that's kind of a obfuscated because Scrooge is generally a good parental figure as well as skilled fighter, and is along on pretty much every adventure. Donald just seems kind of redundant despite how much the show says he isn't.

As an european raised on duck comics, I'd feel personally slighted if Donald emerged victorious from a predicament

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

BigglesSWE posted:

[edit] ahhahah Launchpad pretending to be Donald is gold. Quuuaaaack?

The best part about this is the implication that Launchpad spent enough time around Donald to know how to act like him. That, or Scrooge foresaw this very situation and packed a Donald outfit just for Launchpad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

amigolupus posted:

The best part about this is the implication that Launchpad spent enough time around Donald to know how to act like him. That, or Scrooge foresaw this very situation and packed a Donald outfit just for Launchpad.

The first one doesn't seem too weird, given Donald lives in Scrooge's pool.

Donald is probably a bit fed up with overly 'helpful' himbos at this point.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Here's a pic of Don Rosa making a drawing for me, just as a little humblebrag.

Bomb-omb Texting
Sep 24, 2009
"Do not accept checks from this man!" : D

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

eatenmyeyes posted:

This show's writing just in general is great. Have you seen Last Crash of the Sunchaser yet?

I just did. Was a real banger. I did not see that ending coming!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

okku posted:

"Do not accept checks from this man!" : D

There's a long and storied history of that cartoon gag. It's even a plot point in one Simpsons episode.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Ducktales S3E15 - New Gods on the Block

Odd thing I noticed: When Huey got his powers, and the scene transitions to the Duckburg library clock tower, they throw five notes reminiscent of the characteristic sax riff from Huey Lewis & The News' "Back in Time." Seems like a weird choice, there's no actual time travel in the episode.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

maltesh posted:

Ducktales S3E15 - New Gods on the Block

Odd thing I noticed: When Huey got his powers, and the scene transitions to the Duckburg library clock tower, they throw five notes reminiscent of the characteristic sax riff from Huey Lewis & The News' "Back in Time." Seems like a weird choice, there's no actual time travel in the episode.

A clock tower features prominently in Duck to the Future’s climax, though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ8v_n39XTQ

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
We should talk about how sweet that moon-beam animation was.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

We should talk about how sweet that moon-beam animation was.

That was lovely. Storkules messing up Donald's date was both funny and mildly infuriating. Daisy holding off a Titan with sheer piss-off was kind of glorious. Della being a supportive mom to all the kids - including Webby was pretty good too. Bad Duck Mom is the Best Duck Mom. Zeus as the sulking rear end in a top hat god was also great.

Also "Tremble before the terrible might of friendship!" will never not be awesome. I love Webby so much.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Everyone posted:

Also "Tremble before the terrible might of friendship!" will never not be awesome. I love Webby so much.
But let us also not forget "You make clothes? I wear clothes!"

It seemed to me that Daisy's worries about Donald were brushed off a bit quickly at the end, but since Storkules intends to stick around, this episode was probably not the end of that story arc. In any case, I definitely appreciate the willingness to let Donald and Daisy's relationship develop off-screen between episodes.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 10, 2020

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Everyone posted:

Webby going so off the rails was probably the biggest laugh in the entire episode.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I really love how they took the awful romantic comedy movie trope of a guy ruining his crush's date so he could get together with them and made it so that Storkules is incredibly supportive of Donald dating Daisy but messed up in his eagerness to help smooth things along.

Amusingly enough, between Storkules calling Donald as "his Donald" and declaring that he, Donald and Daisy will now be known as the greatest trio known to man, it makes it sound like he thinks of them as a polycule. :allears:

Everyone posted:

Zeus as the sulking rear end in a top hat god was also great.

I love how much Ducktales is eager to dunk on Zeus.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

amigolupus posted:

I love how much Ducktales is eager to dunk on Zeus.

As a devout ancient Greek, I take offense from that.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

As a devout ancient Greek, I take offense from that.
As a devout ancient Greek, you should be quite aware from numerous myths that Zeus is a huge rear end in a top hat.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Carpator Diei posted:

As a devout ancient Greek, you should be quite aware from numerous myths that Zeus is a huge rear end in a top hat.

Blasphemy! You heretic are just not capable to see the intricacies of his behavior.

I am keenly aware. Honestly though, Zeus is kinda par for the course when it comes to Greek gods. The folklore from back then had no problem explaining away the Problem of Evil.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Blasphemy! You heretic are just not capable to see the intricacies of his behavior.

I am keenly aware. Honestly though, Zeus is kinda par for the course when it comes to Greek gods. The folklore from back then had no problem explaining away the Problem of Evil.

I will admit that "the Gods are selfish, stupid assholes much like their human worshipers" is actually a pretty good "Problem of Evil" explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Do the gods do it because it's dickish and petty, or is it petty and dickish because the gods do it?