Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

maltesh posted:

I suspect she hasn't been there the whole dozen or so years, and has only recently made it back from wherever she was, and either crash landed on the moon on her return trip, or recently has managed to make it back to the wreckage of her spacecraft, in whatever vehicle the begged, borrowed or stole from wherever she was.

Crack Prediction: Wherever she was, it will have something to do with the species of the little alien who grabs the dollar bill from Scrooge and laughs in the original DuckTales opening; a scene that never happened in the original show.

That would certainly explain how Scrooge was unable to find her - out of all the ships he had sent up, you would think at least one of them would have checked the moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Andrew_1985 posted:

Loved the finale, the only part I wasn't happy with was the retcon of Lena from a niece to a shadow of Magica who became a person? I'm assuming they did that so they could get away with 'offing' a child character for a while. They could have kept her as Magica's niece who got turned into a shadow then destroyed?

Well, (and I'm not using spoiler tags cause the episode's already aired) according to Beakley, Magica has been an enemy of the McDuck Clan for hundreds of years, which means she's old enough that she couldn't possibly have any living nieces unless said niece is also affected by magical life extension poo poo. I don't think Lena being her shadow instead of her niece is a "retcon," rather, I think Lena just called her an aunt because she was grasping for any kind of familial relation.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

Cockmaster posted:

That would certainly explain how Scrooge was unable to find her - out of all the ships he had sent up, you would think at least one of them would have checked the moon.

No one thinks to check the first one astronomical body

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pakled posted:

Well, (and I'm not using spoiler tags cause the episode's already aired) according to Beakley, Magica has been an enemy of the McDuck Clan for hundreds of years, which means she's old enough that she couldn't possibly have any living nieces unless said niece is also affected by magical life extension poo poo. I don't think Lena being her shadow instead of her niece is a "retcon," rather, I think Lena just called her an aunt because she was grasping for any kind of familial relation.

I thought she said the DeSpell family had been enemies of the McDuck clan, not Magica in particular.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Andrew_1985 posted:

Loved the finale, the only part I wasn't happy with was the retcon of Lena from a niece to a shadow of Magica who became a person? I'm assuming they did that so they could get away with 'offing' a child character for a while. They could have kept her as Magica's niece who got turned into a shadow then destroyed?

I don't think that was a retcon, just something that had not been revealed yet.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think that was a retcon, just something that had not been revealed yet.

Yeah. At the start of JAW$! Magica says to her "They'd turn on you in an instant if they knew what you really are." rather than "who you really are." And for emphasis she turns into an exact copy of Lena's outline with glowing red eyes before fading away completely.

They are really on-point with the foreshadowing on this show when they want to be.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also just another thing to note about this episode, I'm surprised they showed Webby straight up physically beating the poo poo out of Magica, like aren't cartoons usually more discrete about that kind of physical violence? Because she just went ham on her.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
It wasn't just surprising, it was fuckin' radical

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It’s funny seeing someone (ostensively, at time of poke) voiced by Catherine Tate slap someone else voiced by David Tennant.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Man, you'd think that if Della was on the moon all this time her good friend Selene, literal goddess of the moon, would have known about it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It seems that if you have a character be friends with a god, you've robbed the story of any sense of everyday reality. Which is a strange thing to do when that's one of the primary appeals of Duckburg.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Argue posted:

Man, you'd think that if Della was on the moon all this time her good friend Selene, literal goddess of the moon, would have known about it.

I'm with the people who think there's more to it than that. I think the cosmic storm shot her to another part of the galaxy and her crashing on the moon is a relatively recent development after she basically Farscape'd her way home thanks to various aliens and the Spear just finally crapped out on Earth's doorstep in a story that's probably fodder for a season 2 ep.

Whatever way they take it, after this year I'm confident in their ability to explain it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's fun imagining Donald Duck in the place of Red Death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj6r0Vi4-Bk

Edit: Okay, different voice actors, but it still works.

Edit 2: Actually, no, really only worked when I thought it was the same voice actor.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 19, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm with the people who think there's more to it than that. I think the cosmic storm shot her to another part of the galaxy and her crashing on the moon is a relatively recent development after she basically Farscape'd her way home thanks to various aliens and the Spear just finally crapped out on Earth's doorstep in a story that's probably fodder for a season 2 ep.

Whatever way they take it, after this year I'm confident in their ability to explain it.

So is Della basically Captain Marvel? (the Marvel one)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, they're bringing Lena back, right? They showed her becoming Webby's shadow, so it seems like they're leaving that option open.

Also it's worth noting that Adventure Mode Donald apparently defeated Shadow Gizmoduck with his bare hands. Greatest adventurer of all time, indeed!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lots of blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameos this episode; Fenton's mama arresting Gabby McStabberson, and the shadows include a lot of familiar figures though I only positively identified Falcon Graves. I like that Glomgold doesn't let his shadow go without a fight.

And yeah, Donald has already kinda been hinted to be an unstoppable berserker when provoked, between completely trouncing the biggest Beagle Boy and literally wrecking the magical death course when in a blind rage. Between that and him saluting the boys when casting off, I wonder if it's meant to be implied he was actually in the navy, like in the 80s show and the comics.

Launchpad can certainly hold his own when cornered, despite not being the violent type that top-heavy build clearly isn't for nothing.

Also easily missed: Right at the end, Louie is fully able to swim through gold like Scrooge.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 19, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lots of blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameos this episode; Fenton's mama arresting Gabby McStabberson, and the shadows include a lot of familiar figures though I only positively identified Falcon Graves. I like that Glomgold doesn't let his shadow go without a fight.

And yeah, Donald has already kinda been hinted to be an unstoppable berserker when provoked, between completely trouncing the biggest Beagle Boy and literally wrecking the magical death course when in a blind rage. Between that and him saluting the boys when casting off, I wonder if it's meant to be implied he was actually in the navy, like in the 80s show and the comics.

Launchpad can certainly hold his own when cornered, despite not being the violent type that top-heavy build clearly isn't for nothing.

Also easily missed: Right at the end, Louie is fully able to swim through gold like Scrooge.

The shadows that Donald fights off in Scrooge’s office are Gabby, Falcon, Beakly, and the three main Beagle Boys. Then Shadow Gizmoduck shows up.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Donald punched through Burger Beagle's shadow, and I think Beakley's lined up against him. I think Gabby's was in there too.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, they're bringing Lena back, right? They showed her becoming Webby's shadow, so it seems like they're leaving that option open.

Her character model was apparently shown off with some new character during the SDCC panel, so probably yes. Her whole story is by far the most interesting thing to come out of this episode to me, so I'm really excited to see where it goes.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The one thing I was hoping the end would have but it didn't was Scrooge comforting Webby over Lena in some fashion, since he had told Lena she'd be part of his family if she helped and he seemed to like her. The fact he did says to me she's not gone, even if we hadn't seen her join Webby's shadow. Their friendship bracelets are going to be used to make her real next season hopefully. I did love Magica putting down a smoke screen and then crawling out the side of the screen a second later when the smoke clears while everyone just ignores her.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

tsob posted:

The one thing I was hoping the end would have but it didn't was Scrooge comforting Webby over Lena in some fashion, since he had told Lena she'd be part of his family if she helped and he seemed to like her. The fact he did says to me she's not gone, even if we hadn't seen her join Webby's shadow. Their friendship bracelets are going to be used to make her real next season hopefully. I did love Magica putting down a smoke screen and then crawling out the side of the screen a second later when the smoke clears while everyone just ignores her.

I was expecting some kind of genuine personal apology to Webby for what he said last episode really.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Something about how a random burst of magic freed Scrooge from the coin rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe I just missed the part when that was explained but it seemed like something that because they needed a way to free Scrooge and forgot to come up with one.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The part about reflecting Magica's Magic was in the poem from Lena's diary.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Just finished the episode and that was great!

Launchpad singing the Darkwing Duck theme was hilarious.

Webby continues to scarily competent and it's awesome.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I didn't make that connection at all, but that's actually quire plausible. Selling sea salt Ice cream was his whole story arc in those games. Apparently that only happened, because that ice cream is sort of popular in Disneyland Tokio. Those games are weird.

I'd believe it, an earlier episode mentioned "collectible popcorn buckets" as an offhand thing, but those are THE thing to get at Tokyo Disney, on par with pin collecting.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'd like to add that I loved the callback of Magica thinking children like marbles.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Something about how a random burst of magic freed Scrooge from the coin rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe I just missed the part when that was explained but it seemed like something that because they needed a way to free Scrooge and forgot to come up with one.

They demonstrated the ability earlier in the fight when Lena freed herself using Webby's friendship bracelet. Not only did the bracelet act as a shield against Magica's magic, it also let Webby's shadow reach out and merge with Magica's, rebuilding Lena. Presumably that connection is why Lena is now in Webby's shadow. Later on, Dewey used the Number One Dime as a shield the same way, so Scrooge must have had the same opportunity.

Tale
Jul 31, 2013

On Friday I binged all the episodes from after the hiatus ended in May so I could watch the finale with my friend on Saturday morning. I’m so happy that the show is as good as it is and that we’re getting season 2 in a relatively short amount of time.
I ended up having a dream last night about this show that I think makes for an unlikely but plausible future story arc: a Louie turncoat arc à la raymundo from xiaolin showdown

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

They demonstrated the ability earlier in the fight when Lena freed herself using Webby's friendship bracelet. Not only did the bracelet act as a shield against Magica's magic, it also let Webby's shadow reach out and merge with Magica's, rebuilding Lena. Presumably that connection is why Lena is now in Webby's shadow. Later on, Dewey used the Number One Dime as a shield the same way, so Scrooge must have had the same opportunity.

I wonder if all this is going to lead up to Webby becoming the team's resident magic user.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Webby Rosenburg sounds like a good idea to me

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

...oh great, Webby turns into Star Butterfly.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
While I appreciate the Papa Swan’s Pizza pun, do you think anyone on the production crew had a post-facto cringe after including that in there only for it to turn out that the real Papa John was an incredible racist rear end in a top hat? :v:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I can't believe Lena is Webby's stand

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I stand corrected.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ghost Leviathan posted:

...oh great, Webby turns into Star Butterfly.

I'm okay with this.

nine-gear crow posted:

While I appreciate the Papa Swan’s Pizza pun, do you think anyone on the production crew had a post-facto cringe after including that in there only for it to turn out that the real Papa John was an incredible racist rear end in a top hat? :v:

To be fair, swans are assholes (jury is still out on whether they're racist).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gabby McStabberson keeps getting Worfed by women.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

"Turn out"?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And I didn't realise til later it was offscreen, but Donald took on Fenton's shadow in the Gizmoduck suit- implicitly probably the most powerful of the shadows, and well, wearing the DuckTales equivalent to Iron Man armour with no reservations- and won. Do not gently caress with a Duck.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And I didn't realise til later it was offscreen, but Donald took on Fenton's shadow in the Gizmoduck suit- implicitly probably the most powerful of the shadows, and well, wearing the DuckTales equivalent to Iron Man armour with no reservations- and won. Do not gently caress with a Duck.

Donald doesn't just have plot armor. He has corporate trademark armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Donald was a war machine that ep