Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Webby no!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sometimes a nice young girl has to make some compromises for her career

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Kate Micucci Is just too adorable.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 23, 2019

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOUEjiE6-Hk

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Any word on when the next string of episodes are to come out?

Grateful I have the comics to keep me pre-occupied.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Nobody knows at the moment.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

FuzzySkinner posted:

Grateful I have the comics to keep me pre-occupied.

Cool, just Carl Barks or have you looked into other classics too?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Cool, just Carl Barks or have you looked into other classics too?

uh...pretty much anything disney duck related!

Some of the Barks, Quite a few of the Darkwing universe (what actually first piqued my interest as I LOVED that show as a kid) and pretty much all of the Joe Caramagna ones.

Also recently got a few issues of the "Duck Avenger".

I'm very a newb to this but it's fascinating.

Trying to actually figure out how to get everything in chronological order has been tough though. There any resources I should be looking for?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

FuzzySkinner posted:

Trying to actually figure out how to get everything in chronological order has been tough though. There any resources I should be looking for?

Well it's a static universe where nothing really changes, so it doesn't really matter. Chronology is only a concern with Don Rosa's work because that exceptionally had an on-going storyline.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Well it's a static universe where nothing really changes, so it doesn't really matter. Chronology is only a concern with Don Rosa's work because that exceptionally had an on-going storyline.

That puts me at ease a bit.

It's incredible how creative and influential Barks, Disney Duck universe is. I feel as if I'm just barely scratching the surface.

I really appreciate this show for pushing me to go seek it out.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Frank Angones tweeted what I believe to be the next air-date (March 9) The tweet itself is slightly spoilery.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Y'know, with Kingdom Hearts 3 coming out I'm surprised they didn't do an episode involving that. Or at least throw in a few Easter Eggs somewhere

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Y'know, with Kingdom Hearts 3 coming out I'm surprised they didn't do an episode involving that. Or at least throw in a few Easter Eggs somewhere

"Hey Donald, remember when you were part of that weird LARP?"

"It wasn't a... oh, phooey."

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Man I would love an episode where goofy shows up at his doorstep, throws a wand at him and says "we need to save the world."

Donald sighs in response "again, oh phooey"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Series finale has Donald cast Zettaflare on someone

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

They did make that reference to sea salt ice cream being scrooge's favourite dessert.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The duck comics are kind of crazy because there's decades of sprawling comics and spinoffs much of which aren't in English, and characters like Fethry that have even huge duck nerds confused because they were super popular in Brazil or somewhere.

The show I think does a great job working that in by having the boys discovering they're the latest part of a huge, old legacy that they find out something new about every other week. (and where a time-travelling Dewey can pass himself off as a distant cousin and Donald doesn't blink, and then Della doesn't blink at the idea of him being a time-travelling relative)

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The show I think does a great job working that in by having the boys discovering they're the latest part of a huge, old legacy that they find out something new about every other week. (and where a time-travelling Dewey can pass himself off as a distant cousin and Donald doesn't blink, and then Della doesn't blink at the idea of him being a time-travelling relative)

Not even "doesn't blink", she and Donald both know how to deal with time travel paradox.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Kingdom hearts cross promotion is hard because they used old DuckTales character designs

E: it was interesting to learn Pete is a much older character than goofy

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ikanreed posted:

Kingdom hearts cross promotion is hard because they used old DuckTales character designs

E: it was interesting to learn Pete is a much older character than goofy

Yeah Pete came in alongside Micky.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah Pete came in alongside Micky.

Pete came in before Mickey actually. But yeah, both of them are really old.

EDIT: Like, I think oldest to newest of those four goes Pete > Mickey > Donald > Goofy.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The duck comics are kind of crazy because there's decades of sprawling comics and spinoffs much of which aren't in English, and characters like Fethry that have even huge duck nerds confused because they were super popular in Brazil or somewhere.

I really like the recent trend of throwback properties just putting in shitloads of deep cuts and not making a big deal out of it

Like Sonic Mania having a loving Popcorn machine because one time there was a popcorn machine with Sonic on it.

So stuff like Fethry or even the Three Caballeros and getting to learn about all these finer points is super cool and it shows that they team behind these things is actually invested and cares about the property and it isn’t 100% a cashgrab and that’s great

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sockser posted:

I really like the recent trend of throwback properties just putting in shitloads of deep cuts and not making a big deal out of it

Like Sonic Mania having a loving Popcorn machine because one time there was a popcorn machine with Sonic on it.

So stuff like Fethry or even the Three Caballeros and getting to learn about all these finer points is super cool and it shows that they team behind these things is actually invested and cares about the property and it isn’t 100% a cashgrab and that’s great

One of the Smash Ultimate hints says that Sonic's first official appearance was a cameo in a racing game.

That and it avoids dealing with issues like legal rights or redundancy for coming up with new characters. Most of the original characters in new Ducktales occupy specific roles that weren't previously there. (like Mark Beaks as a modern tech billionaire) Never hurts to have ideas to work with, especially when you can change what doesn't work and keep what does, and use what's just there as flavour.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's the thing that confused me about the Duck universe.

In the states? People primarily think of Donald as just you know..a costumed character, and they just go "Uncle Scrooge Money Bin dive", "Darkwing was cool I guess". More recently? "Donald was in kingdom hearts"

I guess in europe? Disney comics are insanely popular. It is indeed nice to see the people in charge doing such due diligence with the characters. You can tell they are indeed fans.

BTW? They are selling the first Graphic Novel at Wal-Mart (retail). It's :10bux: but gives you some fun adventures featuring Donald and his nephews along with Donald, Della, Scrooge adventures.

If you don't want to wander into Wal-Mart? Here's the first four graphic novels.

https://www.amazon.com/DuckTales-Treasure-Trove-Joe-Caramagna/dp/1684052084

https://www.amazon.com/DuckTales-Mysteries-Mallards-Joey-Cavalieri-ebook/dp/B079832HBF

https://www.amazon.com/DuckTales-Vol-3-Quests-Quacks-ebook/dp/B07D7JSQD7

https://www.amazon.com/DuckTales-Fowl-Play-Alessandro-Ferrari/dp/1684054036

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

Pete came in before Mickey actually. But yeah, both of them are really old.

EDIT: Like, I think oldest to newest of those four goes Pete > Mickey > Donald > Goofy.

Really? I always assumed his first appearance was in Steamboat Willie, where did he appear before that?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's odd that they ignore that 90% of that old legacy is just mundane cartoon stories rather than globe-trotting, death-defying adventure.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Larryb posted:

Really? I always assumed his first appearance was in Steamboat Willie, where did he appear before that?

Pete was a side character in a series of old shorts called The Alice Comedies before being used in one or two Oswald shorts and then finally appearing as the main antagonist in Steamboat Willy. Although if I remember right he was originally a bear before they decided he was a cat hence why he only sometimes has a tail.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://youtu.be/iRRaNHSnXak

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Good to see the show's coming back! Weird that they're only announcing the date now, though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Good to see the show's coming back! Weird that they're only announcing the date now, though.

Never question the ways of Disney's scheduling. Only madness lies that way.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

That way lies Steven Universe scheduling

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The next episodes will premier on a Tuesday at 8 AM, a Thursday at 3:27 AM and on a day which is only defined in an alternate dimension, where earth is part of a bi-solar system.

Somehow, that works out perfectly.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Infinitum posted:

That way lies Steven Universe scheduling

Or worse, Gravity Falls scheduling

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Well what do you know, March 9th is my birthday! That's a nice present :toot:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Larryb posted:

Or worse, Gravity Falls scheduling

I’d be happy with Avatar scheduling, where up here in Canada we get the episodes, like, three months earlier than anyone else.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm pretty sure there was at least a rationale behind Disney's weird scheduling ("we want to show new episodes when we know kids are out of school"), but nobody has ever been able to figure out the logic behind what Cartoon Network does.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm pretty sure there was at least a rationale behind Disney's weird scheduling ("we want to show new episodes when we know kids are out of school"), but nobody has ever been able to figure out the logic behind what Cartoon Network does.

The best guess is 'very poorly imitating Disney's scheduling'.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Sneak peak!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mH2oBrNWNA

I'm sort of dumbfounded how good of a show this is.

Also I keep expecting Della to beg for help over a radio and only a confused inuit picks up.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I can't get over the leap in logic that Scrooge spent insane amounts of money trying to find Della and couldn't spot here on the dang front of the moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

kidcoelacanth posted:

I can't get over the leap in logic that Scrooge spent insane amounts of money trying to find Della and couldn't spot here on the dang front of the moon

A lot of people are theorizing that there might be some time shenanigans involved