Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

They're already laying the groundwork for Gizmoduck as well, with Gyro making him his next project at the end of the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Inescapable Duck posted:

Don Rosa apparently had Scrooge born in 1860, and dying in 1960, with most of his adventures with the triplets happening in the 50s? I forget the details, and I'm bad at math, but wondering what a modern equivalent of that would be.

You could have him be born in 1920, die in 2020, adventures happening in the 2010s, and he could have visited Cape Suzette when he was a teenager. Basically you could do a World War 2 story in the world of Talespin. Maybe he fought with Don Karnage at one point.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Did the Duck comics acknowledge any of the wars? When Scrooge came to America it would've been right at the tail end of reconstruction, and then there's the Spanish-American war, both world wars, and then the Korean war right when Scrooge was doing his adventures with his nephews.

There's only one Disney cartoon I know of that acknowledges the war, but at the end it turns out it was all a dream.

Not a duck comic, but Talespin acknowledges WW1, and Baloo is the right age to have been a pilot during the war.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Test Pattern posted:

It's Porco Rosso but everyone are animals. So yes.

Check out Tales of the Gold Monkey. It's proto-Talespin. It even has a character named Louie who owns a place called The Monkey Bar.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

This episode was so incredibly Venture Bros. I love it.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

So I stopped watching during the midseason break, but just burned through all of last season and the first two for this season. This show is so Venture Bros. It's amazing.

When I was a kid, Don Karnage was one of my favorite characters in anything. I was even him for Halloween one year. I was nuts about all that Indiana Jones, Tales of the Gold Monkey stuff, so Talespin was like tailor-made for me. My parents even used to take me to Banana Republic all the time because I loved it so much.

I understand the change, and while I love the old Karnage, getting Rogelio de la Vega to voice him is pretty much perfect.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Fellbat posted:

Ah yes the well known Englishwoman Magica DeSpell and Scotsman Flintheart Glomgold.

Eh, I understand not going Afrikaner for Glomgold considering the history of the character and everything, and Catherine Tate is amazing.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

For instance, regarding Magica's casting:

Morticia Addams? Now I'm imagining Anjelica Hudson as Magica. :-(

nine-gear crow posted:

Scottish with an asterisk. The production team seems to go back and forth on whether he's a real Scotsman or pretending to be one to cash in on Scrooge's image.

No True Scotsduck?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

RandomPauI posted:

Them leaving out Webby is like the Venture Brothers leaving out Hank.

To be fair, this is original DuckTales. Webby wasn't as much an adventurer then.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

RandomPauI posted:

I want Darkwing to have been fictionalized in that universe but for Gosalyn to have used it as inspiration to be a real superhero with her dad's help.

Kinda like a Duck-KickAss?

I just want a new TaleSpin in this universe, whether it's set as a contemporary or it's in the past. 1930s political TaleSpin would be really fun if they went further than the original show.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Omg. I burned out a tape of that when I was a kid.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

We need more Don Karnage. Anything that provides more Rogelio De La Vega is a good thing.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Aces High posted:

maaaaaaaan the accent LMM used for that character was grating

He sounded like he's trying to sound like Jack McBrayer.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Can they use "Jungle Book" characters in order to bring in Tailspin? Obviously we've had Don Karnage and references to Cape Suzette, but I don't know if they can use Baloo, Louie, and Shere Khan.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

The Jungle Book and its characters are public domain, and the copyright on Disney's version, which the TaleSpin characters were based on, is still valid until the 2060s. So yeah in theory there is nothing stopping them from rebooting TS with all the original characters intact.

IIRC, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they agree to not bring some characters into this? I don't know if it was Chip and Dale or Talespin peeps or Goof Troop or what, though.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

Which appears to have changed, as Ducktales made a subtle Star Wars reference recently, the shield generators from Hoth made a cameo

Not just them, but the Shakara Stones from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom were jammed into a drawer by Webby in the Lena episode

Not sure if they count as Disney though since it's a Paramount movie.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm not sure if I've ever seen an absentee mother relationship like they have in this show before. Kinda weird.

Weird duck anatomy letting Della leave before her kids were born.

That's not what public domain means. Not having the exclusive copyright means anyone can use those characters, including Disney. That's why there's like 500 adaptations and derivations of Wizard of Oz (including 4 by Disney). It's a freer experience that keeps things alive in the public consciousness.

However, modern copyright law also allows for companies to copyright their versions of public domain figures, which means that for example, MGM's version of the wicked witch of the west is under copyright, and can't be freely used without riskink lawsuit. It's also how Disney trolls most people who try to reference its properties based off of the public domain, so Baloo and all the others would still be covered within Disney's hellgrasp for long after everyone involved in the making of the movie is dead.

I never said public domain? I was talking about the Disney versions of the Jungle Book characters.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Assuming the show's roughly set in the modern day, and going by how Donald and Della grew up in the 90s, I get the impression that they're roughly in their mid 30s, while Launchpad has a canon birthdate and is a little younger.

It's scary how well Donald adapts as being a millennial stand-in; a college graduate (well, presuming he graduated) whose degree isn't even worth mention, chronically unemployed except in an underpaid family business job, and gave up on his own dreams long ago to just try to survive.

It really bothers me that Launchpad is now canonically younger than me.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

The problem with the Venture Bros comparison is that there are multiples of a few characters. While Huey is the best Dean, you could argue that Dewey, Webby, and Louie all encompass aspects of Hank.

Just like Beaksley, Launchpad, Donald and it looks like Della are aspects of Brock.

I just want more Community actors to pop up. Dean Gyro is something that I never knew I needed.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

S1:E20 Sky Pirates in the Sky

Anthill Inside.

Title kind of spoiled the surprise.

The captions really suck this episode.

I'm sorry, Don Karnage didn't feel like Don Karnage.

Webby still the best.

Don Karnage is one of my all-time favorite characters in anything, and while I do agree with you, he's basically playing Rogelio de la Vega from Jane the Virgin, who is played by Jaime Camil, Don's new voice actor. Check him out if you're interested in more, he's the best part of the show.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

I've tried to watch Venture Bros twice now, and I keep tripping up somewhere on season 1 because it just doesn't grab me. I wish I saw what everyone else does.

Did you try Ghosts of the Sargasso? If not, try it.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

So if Kit and Molly are older, does that mean the Don Karnage we've been seeing isn't the Don Karnage? Could it be a son or a Dread Pirate Roberts thing? That could explain why he's Rogelio de la Vega now.

I really want to see a flashback episode to the 1930s with young Scrooge and Goldie running around and getting involved with Cape Suzette and Shere Khan, and needing Baloo and Rebecca's help

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

They're going to introduce a new love interest for Goldie voiced by Bradley Whitford.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Alacron posted:

Bring back Don Cheadle to voice Papernik.

Bonus points if he says "Boom! You lookin' for this?"

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

We need more Launchpad.

Also, we need more Gyro and Fenton. I really like this new, Dean Pelton take on Gyro.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

So, for a minute during the big fight when all the people from different time periods were popping in and out , I honestly half expected Baloo, Rebecca, and maybe Wildcat and Louie to appear to represent the 30s/Interwar period . That would have been a great way to bring some recognition into that fight.

I also thought we might get old Scrooge popping out of time and young Scrooge popping in to join the fight alongside everyone.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

ikanreed posted:

Lunaris as recurring villain for real though

Definitely, and now Scrooge's team will have Penumbra running around for help as well.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Bleck posted:

this is the first meeting of Hortense McDuck and Quackmore Duck as depicted in The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck

That's Donald and Della's parents, right?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

Frank Angones has confirmed Hortense has passed on.

That's sad, considering her parents are both still alive. It's more realistic, though.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Everyone on this show is hosed up in some way, and it’s all the better for it.

And there's another connection to Venture Brothers!

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I feel like Frank Angones is my kind of nerd.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I'm watching people get their Goof Troop and Rescue Rangers nostalgia on, and I'm just sitting here waiting for the Talespin episode. That was my jam.

I know we'll be seeing adult Kit and Molly, but I really want flashbacks to maybe a younger Scrooge (or younger Beakley?) taking on Shere Khan with the help of Baloo and Rebecca and Louie.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

YggiDee posted:

You're right, but also in this case the driver is getting out of the car so they can punch someone in the audience.

Wait, so Manny was Argyle? How many Die Hard references were there in this?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

amigolupus posted:

Were the Glomgold billboards just a sightgag, or is Glomgold a massively popular character in Japan?

They felt like the Boss Coffee ads that were all over Toyko when I was there last year. They all had Tommy Lee Jones on them.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Maybe she learned to fly from old Baloo.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

amigolupus posted:

- Change Launchpad's picture to his driver's license and add a note about tagging yourself if you're older than him. :v:

I don't think having everyone here tag themselves is helpful in any way.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

None of those episodes feel like a trip to Cape Suzette. :(

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Ducktales is totally Venture Brothers. That's a great thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I found out Venture Brothers hot cancelled from the Ducktales thread. :-(

Not like this. Not like this.