Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

kefkafloyd posted:

Thanks, updated.

Get Keith David to voice him and I'm on board.

Probably won't be double-booked as Goliath. Of all Disney Afternoon shows to put in a shared universe, that would be the weirdest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

So part of me wonders if The Moon is going to play a big part in the whole Della Duck myth arc via the Spear of Selene. It's certainly a place that's got a lot of cache with people who know Ducktales prior to this but I wonder if that's a little too inside baseball.

So long as they have an excuse to play *that theme* I'm all for it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

X-O posted:

It has a timeless Disney quality throughout most of its run. But like any cartoon of the era it had to produce so many episodes that there's definitely some lower effort ones thrown in. It has several multipart episodes that are really good though so it balances out the lower quality ones.

It also introduced a caveduck late in the show who didn't add much and for some reason didn't appear in the same episodes as Gizmoduck.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The kids' personalities all basically start with their sibling status. Huey is older sibling so he's competent and likes to take charge. Dewey is the middle sibling so he struggles to get recognition and stand out from the pack. Louie is the younger sibling so he's spoiled and used to getting his way. Webby is the only child so she's eager to have friends and get out from under her doting parent figure.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Vicissitude posted:

Anyone else notice the genie's lamp from the Ducktales movie in the garage? :3:

I don't think you need to spoil an easter egg. And I'm not entirely sure if it's the one from the movie or the one from the original intro that Scrooge and Glomgold fight over.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

galenanorth posted:

I came across two of these panels while browsing TVTropes and really enjoyed them

from Universal Solvent

Seeing the crazy things people come up with based on one of the fancier names for water is unceasingly amazing.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

New episodes are still a ways off, but apparently there's a new promo out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-t1Go0B3a0

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

gmq posted:

What does he say at the beginning? I can only understand "I <duck speak> myself". :negative:

"I get to tell him myself!"

"When you live here, you answer to me!"

"I answer to NO ONE!!"

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

There's a clip out of Gyro Gearloose's introduction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PsPxWqWbNk

Interesting note: the map in the background is an ocean-oriented Goode projection.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

kefkafloyd posted:

This semi-cryptic tweet bids good news. hopefully.

https://twitter.com/DisneyTVA/status/909891933719416834

Am I off-base here or does that look like Jim Cummings?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

Can't wait to figure out the context there.

There really isn't one.

As nice as it was to see the Beagle Boys reintroduced, I have to say I preferred "The Great Dime Chase" and the way the kids had to deal with two forms of insanity. I imagine all the "international markets" are references to old DuckTales episodes, but I only recognized El Dorado. And considering the original show it makes sense that in this version Scrooge keeps his lucky dime on him at all times.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also Webby getting excited at a dog with a bowtie, while in a bus filled with dogs wearing clothes, reading books, and driving the bus?

It was a nice bowtie.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

I wonder if Donald's more laid back attitude to safety (with all those generators for one thing) in Daytrip of Doom is because the triplets aren't around/living in the boat and for the first time in a long time he doesn't have to be worrying about them all of the time?

I think the way Donald regularly solves his problems is why he insists his nephews put on heavy safety gear. Both because he tends to think they would solve problems with the same "get angry and make everything worse" approach and because he's aware of how much collateral damage he causes.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

dragon_pamcake posted:

I didn't realize he straightened it. I thought he paused mid-tantrum to read it and it just made him even angrier. :downs:

He didn't straighten it. He tilted it, gently, making the action even sillier.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I suddenly have this theory that the "Spear of Selene" is actually an ancient rocket ship.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

I kind of hope to see John D Rockerduck. As I feel he can be portrayed different enough from Glomgold to have a place.

Apparently they've come up with an original character who's a tech company millionaire to be the alternate rich foil to McDuck. He's in the opening among the villains, so presumably he and Scrooge aren't going to be buddies.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Since they said Huey will be getting some attention by episode 8, I suspect I know whom the intern is.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

They're in the intro, likely they're gonna be recurrers. They are low-rent henchmen, so probably going to be in various employs.

I'm gonna be disappointed in their life choices if they work for Glomgold again. Unless they make him pay in advance, at least.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Phylodox posted:

I thought it was obvious: Webby teaching Lena the value of family ironically convinced her to side with her evil aunt, which is going to bite them in the tail feathers later.

I'm not sure about that. It sounded like Lena was a double agent from the beginning, and that fits with how she acted. Assuming she's been watching the main kids for a while, she waited for the first moment when one of them was alone and outside and threw a set of bottles that drew Webby right over. And instead of going to a normal rave or club, she brought Webby to the junkyard and messed with the Beagle Boys; if Lena had been watching for a while she'd know Ma Beagle has a grudge against Webby. This gave her the opportunity to do some high-stakes bonding as Webby shows off her best skills and then drive a wedge between her and the triplets. She might have even gotten captured on purpose to give the night a good climax.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

The real monster was man the whole time.

Well yeah. A human being in Duckburg would be scary as hell.

I like that we still don't know whose side Lena will fall on. Is it really the long game or is that an excuse? Who does she really care about, and how much? And how much will that change before the end?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

dirksteadfast posted:

I just want to congratulate the new Ducktales on making the Beagle Boys actually funny and interesting, whereas in the original series they felt sort of overused and generic. "You buying this?" was such a perfectly executed joke.

After the show gave each one a gimmick, I feel like The Warriors gangs was the next logical step.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Well, the show found a way for improbably good luck to be a bad thing.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

I love you Launchpad. Never stop surprising us.

I feel like this episode is setting the groundwork for the idea that his night job is flying for Darkwing Duck.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Glomgold hired Donald because he suspected McDuck wouldn't be able to resist finding Atlantis once he heard the news. If he encountered McDuck, he'd have his rival's nephew to use as a hostage. If McDuck didn't show up, all he's done is pay a low wage to a person who's been in enough ancient ruins to not be a burden on the team.

Like Scrooge says, it's just good planning. And he's good at improvising, too, like when he spotted Scrooge and the triplets and decided to follow them rather than risk everything on trying to find a shortcut.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

Biggest surprise to me: I can't believe his beard is fake. Actually, I can, but it was still moderately surprising.

Didn't someone say that in this continuity he's a Boer faking being Scottish? Could be foreshadowing for that reveal.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

He's a fake in general.

Nah, that's Mark Beaks. Glomgold puts some real elbow grease into his evil schemes.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

DoubleCakes posted:

So I'm all caught up with DuckTales and I'm liking it but I don't think it's truly excellent (yet). The show focuses on the kids too much, not enough on Scrooge, and I don't like how Webby seems to be a pet character of the writers, she's turning into the Wesley of the group-- being too unflawed and always doing the right thing. Even her flaw of severe social awkwardness doesn't actually affect her too much.

Always doing the right thing? You mean like how she screwed up on the bus and with each of the triplets in turn at Funso's Fun Zone, or like how she went with a strange older girl to a known gang hangout the moment she was unsupervised?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Aces High posted:

it's kinda interesting, Launchpad effectively described hypothermia when he was describing the "snow fever" and that is not something you take lightly when mountain-climbing. Sure he probably paid waaaaaaay more than he should have for his equipment but from the looks of it the outfitter gave him everything he needs so he won't die

That's what made the outfitter such a cunning con man. He basically condensed the symptoms of hypothermia to make it sound more dangerous and make the mark's hypochondria act up, threw in snow blindness so he could sell some goggles, and renamed it "ice fever" to make it mysterious since most people are at least familiar with the idea of hypothermia. The best lies contain the most truth, and it's interesting that someone on the writing staff understands that.

Dewey's response was clever, too. He backed the merchant into a corner by playing along with the snow blindness ruse: either the outfitter keeps up the charade and has to at least give Dewey and Launchpad a refund to keep them quiet, or he does what he did and calls Dewey's bluff, which is actually the bluff he's using on the customers in front of him.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 3, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

This show is great. Fun, funny, breezy, good characters, well written. It's one of the better pure adventure shows I've seen.

But as an adult in 2017 I'm also struggling with watching an escapist fantasy about the ultra wealthy. Sure, it occasionally addresses economic disparity issues in a line or two, or tries to make Scrooge more generous than in the original show. But it's really difficult not to see some ugly class commentary in there for me, especially when it comes to the Beagle Boys living in trailers in a junk yard, or the one lower class friend having a dark spirit living inside her that occasionally comes out to attempt murder, or Huey Dewey and Louie acting like entitled rich kids at the arcade then ultimately being rewarded for it with even more privelage, or the downtrodden inventor being dismissed and nickel-and-dimed by a corporate board who is poised to make fabulous wealth off of his ideas.

Maybe all of that is completely intentional and the show is just addressing it in time in a nuanced way. But to me the show never quite seems to land on the ethically right side of the issues for me. I just keep feeling like Scrooge should have a Schindler's List moment where he realizes that greed is a disease and capitalism is evil and he could alleviate so much suffering in the world if he just didn't have a giant bin full of gold to swim in.

Or maybe it's just a kid's show and I should let it go.

Your interpretation isn't really supported by the text of the show. The Beagles are career criminals raised to be such by Ma Beagle. Magica's niece may be from the wrong side of the tracks, but the only person who has a problem with that is Webby's working-class grandmother. The triplets lived in a house boat until very recently and had long ago established their routines at Funso's Fun Zone, so them acting entitled has nothing to do with their wealth or class. The inventor is erratic and creates destructive robots more often than not, but Scrooge gives him a regular salary on the off chance that he creates something valuable and/or so he won't use his destructive robots to get revenge.

I'll grant you that Scrooge is greedier than he needs to be considering his wealth, but at the same time his skinflint ways mean he employs people like Launchpad who probably wouldn't have a job otherwise. Plus he's self-made; I don't think we've seen a single "old money" character on the show.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Eh, Star has still gotten it pretty bad-there was nearly a year between the end of the first season and the start of the second season, and last year was exclusively made up of lengthy hiatuses stretched between frantic episode dumps. It's airing regularly now, at least, but there's probably going to be a lengthy hiatus between Seasons 3 and 4.

Still though, it could be worse. Poor Steven Universe :smith:

On the bright side, Star vs. has been consistently able to put out a full season in a 12-month period. The hiatuses only feel long because the bomb format compresses the airing schedule.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Not sure where it came from, but there's a new episode of DuckTales out there now and it features a pair of colorful ponies with suspiciously familiar voice actors.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

There's another episode out there, and it's got some bad news about Duckworth.

It also features the most cliché murder mystery twist of all time once you stop and think about it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Based on the trailer it looks like many of the episodes will be "new to Disney Channel." Keep in mind the show ran on Disney XD previously.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mentioned before it seems like Mark Beaks is the equivalent to Rockerduck for this show; more willing to splash money around and try out fancy new things, albeit mostly stolen stuff not properly tested. Interesting that Scrooge, who hated him at first, is entirely willing to work with him if Beaks is selling a product he wants, though obviously wants to make sure it works first. (especially after this fiasco when it turned out to be a stolen McDuck Industries product in the first place)

Scrooge is willing to play golf with a man who constantly and openly tries to kill him. Being willing to buy from a personal rival if his products are good seems pretty tame by comparison.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

I'm leaning towards a Gizmo/Darkwing team up. It feels obligatory to me.

I'd put money on Jim getting so frustrated with Gizmoduck's approach to heroism that he becomes a real hero just to spite him. That's pretty close to their relationship in the original show.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

I could not understand a word Donald said at the start of this episode. Was it supposed to be gibberish.

It was supposed to be harder to understand than usual, I figure on that much.

Anyway, nice to see some definite progression on the Magica plotline. That shadow isn't her true form if her niece has to get the dime and then bring it to her, and her niece's motivation being "freedom" creates a situation where she really can't choose between that and her friends. This implies that something creative will have to happen.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I honestly appreciate the fact that the nephews just couldn't stop being kids about Scrooge and Goldie's relationship.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Pakled posted:

The Gummi Bears references were unexpected :v:

I especially liked when Heron started quoting the theme song. But the reference I really wasn't expecting was the giant bouncy ball from The Prisoner. It was thematically appropriate to the episode, though, come to think of it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Launchpad's advantage is the fact that he can pilot or drive anything. He always crashes at the end, but he almost always gets to their destination first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

They managed to sneak in a Mighty Ducks reference early on.