Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

Speaking of Webby;

The animation team clearly has Opinions about her old design.

Well, about her doll from the old show, anyway, considering that's what it's supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

It has a timeless Disney quality throughout most of its run. But like any cartoon of the era it had to produce so many episodes that there's definitely some lower effort ones thrown in. It has several multipart episodes that are really good though so it balances out the lower quality ones.

A lot of the Disney Afternoon cartoons are similar. There's only a few stinkers in the bunch like Bonkers or Quack Pack. And the less said about Shnookums and Meat the better.

That said, I'm still baffled that Gummi Bears somehow ran for SIX seasons.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

...Well now I want a hamburger.

Also, while I loved the original and this is off to a great start, this one gets bonus points for giving me a reason to learn the difference between the triplets.

Huey is red, and red is the strongest hue.
Dewey is blue, like water, which dew is made of.
Louie is leaf-green.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X_Toad posted:

It's the one I mentioned, Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!. A totally underrated and unfairly reviled show, by the way.

It's the Teen Titans or Brave & The Bold thing where fans love a more serious version that preceded the goofy silly incarnation, so even if both are good on their own merits, the funny one is maligned.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

Kate Micucci acts, she voice acts, she sings, she writes, she does other assorted art projects. Why wouldn't she know how to make and set up things like pillow bouncing Betties?

The best thing is she used to do a one-woman music/improve show called "Playin' with Micucci" when is just delightful on a pun level.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

The craft of a show is important? Well I never!

It's only important when BotL agrees with the dark, serious, subversive story of the show. Otherwise it's pablum for the soft-headed masses

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wasn't the gum actually the excuse they put into the remake of the NES game from a few years back, as well?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

shades of eternity posted:

I have been humming the farscape theme song since it happened. :)

Oh god, get Tony Anselmo to do the Farscape narration but in the Donald voice

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

That didn't sound a thing like Jameela Jamil. Holy poo poo

Yeah, her accent is really good, although it's not that much of a shock given that on the couple of occasions she's been called on to do American in, say, The Good Place, she actually has difficulty being bad at it, even though her character is supposed to be. (Plus Tahani is her doing an accent anyway, as she doesn't actually sound like that IRL)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

readingatwork posted:

Wait. Aren’t the triplets like 12?

Weirdo duck biology means she left before they were born, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Larryb posted:

Has Disney actually done anything with the series since then or are they just sitting on the license at the moment?

There was a rumour that Jordan Peele was interested in doing a movie, Disney not actually wanting to, but no one wanting to say no to the guy who just won an Oscar for Get Out, so it's sitting in development hell.

I think the tone is the big problem. It falls into the Disney Animation bucket, but it's so much more adult and serious than anything else they do on TV that I don't think they know how to handle it so they'd rather it just go away.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Scrooge's company also likely has an intelligence gathering division that can rival nations. Having access to all that info would be incredibly valuable to a group like FOWL.

Regarding the earlier conversation, does this mean the new Ducktales is the first incarnation to have Scrooge handing out sound business strategies and not just finding clever ways to make money?

Rosa's Life & Times has him starting a banking empire once he strikes gold in the Yukon and it's mentioned that he has numerous mundane business ventures in and around Duckburg that are all incredibly profitable, but he still feels the need to get his hands dirty and go on adventures for more exotic sources of revenue.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

I did think it was weird that there's actually cents in there. It's supposed to be mostly gold, I thought.

It's basically supposed to be every piece of currency or loot Scrooge has earned by himself directly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Necrotizer F posted:

I suspect that Launchpad has this whole wandering hero aspect to himself of which we only seem small glimpses during the main show.

"I'm gonna wander the earth, Mr McD, like Maui Mallard"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I need to watch more of that. I remember a bit where Daffy calls out Bugs for having all the luck while he has none and Bugs actually does feel bad about it because it's true.

I liked that they decided to give Lola an actual character beyond being DeviantArt bait, and gave Daffy a female counterpart who was basically the cynical working class type to contrast with Daffy's high strung insanity.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

Holy cow I'm slowly working my way through the first season and Ludwig Von Drake pops up! That's a deep pull I was not expecting!

Technowolf posted:

You ain't seen how deep they go, bub.

Hell, that same episode has a deeper cut, arguably.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Senerio posted:

Donald's anger helped him get off the Planet Moon...

The moon's not a planet!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Rosa's Life & Times is basically considered the show's bible for Scrooge's backstory.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

That's not Rescue Rangers

Yeah, I'm really not sure why Chip and Dale are this hill that the Disney Brand have chosen to die on. Are the chipmunks super popular in some non-English speaking market to the point where they're terrified of diluting the brand? No one's saying you have to stick with them dressing like Indy and Magnum if you're scared of lawsuits... also YOU OWN MOST OF TV/FILM.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

why does one of the snow white dudes have a cowboy hat

cowboys are hot obvs

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Gotta love the almost 0 changes to Gaston, and honestly, Cruella is about exactly what i'd expect of a Rule 63 fanart/cosplay

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean, the second they used the exact origin of the number one dime from Don Rosa should've tipped you off how deep they were willing to go.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

kefkafloyd posted:

They'll be committing a podcast crime if they don't have Paul F. Tompkins on one of those episodes.

Gladstone gets a lucrative sponsorship deal for a spinoff podcast given to him literally as Huey's interviewing him.

Phylodox posted:

Gargoyles aren't anthropomorphic animals. :colbert:

Also, did they do a Marsupilami reference? That was a Disney Afternoon thing, right?

Interestingly enough, Gargoyles started as a pitch along the lines of the Gummi Bears, with Demona as a comedy villain. That pitch got rejected and reworked around Goliath who was originally a secondary character, I believe, and that became the more action-adventure show that got made, and that Disney has spent 30 years not really knowing how to market. (To the point where they literally had to buy 2 other companies to figure out how to appeal to that market)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't that more likely a Quack Pack reference? I think Donald had a penchant for colourful short-sleeved shirts in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

But BoJack and Stranger Things both got over two seasons?

If a show is crazy successful, they'll suck it up and pay.