Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Disney has made the first episode available on their Youtube channel in case anybody hasn't seen it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just saw it myself, pretty good start and the new cast is fairly solid (the triplets being voiced by adult men wasn't quite as jarring as I'd expected, though Launchpad might take some getting used to, he sounds more like a surfer dude in this one) and I like what they're doing with the kids (Webby even SOUNDS a bit like Mabel Pines, though I could swear I've heard her actress in something before).

One thing though, I know the voice is iconic and all but maybe they could stand to tone it down a bit if they're gonna make Donald a regular in this series, I could barely understand about half of his dialogue in this episode.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 14, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So how well does the original show still hold up? I was thinking of giving it a rewatch one of these days.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

David Tennant is an absolute treasure.

Yeah, Scrooge and Webby are probably my favorite out of the new cast (and Glomgold sounds almost exactly the same as he did in the old show).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

So when does the rest of the season air again?

Next episode is September 23, from then on it looks like there will be a new episode every Saturday.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 15, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

X_Toad posted:

I'm now very curious to see the way in which Webby's grappling hook is introduced in the show. Maybe it's another skill taught to her by her grandma? And speaking of, I'm now imagining adult Webby with her grandmother's physique... the girl has some catching up to do!

She's basically Mabel Pines in duck form, which is still a step up from how she was in the original series (they even gave her a less grating voice). Honestly, so far the only character I still prefer the original to is Launchpad as, well, he sounds like a surfer in this version. Fortunately the dialogue he's given makes up for it though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

I made this comment elsewhere, but Webby is a bit like a fusion of the Pines Twins. All of DIpper's interests and obsessions but with Mabel's level of unreserved enthusiasm.

And I'm perfectly fine with that. There seems to be a bit of Gravity Falls influence in the show besides her as well (speaking of which, isn't Alex Hirsch involved with this show somehow?)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

X_Toad posted:

Webby's voice sounds also a lot like Mabel's by way of Velma Dinkley (from Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!, obviously) for me.

The voice acting might also be one of the reasons Louie feels weird to me : I keep hearing Panda and/or Chozen every time he speaks!

That makes sense considering Webby's current actress also did the voice of Velma (don't remember which cartoon though).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

X-O posted:

If I remember correctly the previous Scooby Doo was a big hit critically because it kind of skewered and had fun with the way the show had always been done so I'm not surprised the followup would be unfairly looked upon. That almost always seems to happen when people like a certain incarnation of something. I liked that version quite a bit but I never saw or honestly even heard of Be Cool Scooby Doo until this very post.

It was the one that looked like it was drawn by Seth MacFarlane. Despite being a bit goofy it didn't seem that bad from what little I saw of it.

Back on topic, my only real gripe with the premiere is that they kind of cram the majority of the main cast into the first episode while the original seemed to space things out a bit better (I believe characters like Launchpad and Mrs. Beakly/Webby weren't introduced until like the second or third episode of the first show). It still handles it well enough (in fact, I think I kind of like the reboot better overall. Not that the original isn't still a decent show).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 18, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

X-O posted:

Well to be fair the "first episode" of the original was part one of a five part story so that's why it was spaced out. And it's one of the best things the series ever did. (Also one of the big Sun Medallions from that episode was in Scrooge's garage in this episode). You can do a five part pilot when you have 65 episodes to fill. Not so much when you have 20-25.

Yeah that makes sense, it's just some things felt a bit rushed like Launchpad just being there with no explanation. Still wasn't enough to distract from the overall enjoyment of the episode though.

Hell, the mere fact we got a 44 minute premiere is a small wonder in this day and age.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 18, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

No explanation? He's Scrooge's valet.

Ah right, forgot about that part. Nevermind that point then.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Though in the comics I don't think either one of them was supposed to be Scottish, why did they decide to make Scrooge that way in the cartoon? Just because of his last name?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Scrooge is and always has been Scottish.

Huh, I thought I'd heard somewhere that that was one of the problems Don Rosa had with Ducktales.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah nevermind then. I forget, was it him or Carl Barks that hated the show and why?

Speaking of Life & Times though, I'd really like to see them do an animated adaption of that one day.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Scottish people being cheap was a legit racist stereotype back in the day so I imagine Disney is trying to downplay that aspect of the character.

It's also how Scotch tape got its name and why the packaging uses a tartan design :v:

That reminds me that one thing I've enjoyed so far is how well the show has managed to have all the different anthropomorphic animals look distinct both across and between species while still being part of the same art style. The old comics kind of had the problem of the ducks all being a race of similar white fuzzy creatures and everyone else being humans with weird noses and ears.

I think the "humans" were actually supposed to be dogs, or they were in the old cartoon at least (Ducks and Dogs seem to be the only intelligent species that exist in this universe, unless I'm not remembering something).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ballz posted:

Which is why I'm here today posting in the Something Awful DuckTales thread, jonesing hard for a new episode. We're still like what, a week and a half out? Sigh...

The next episode should be out on the 23rd if I remember right. Though fortunately after that the episodes will be released weekly from then on.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, while the original still has it's charm the new Ducktales just seems to be better in most aspects and I like that there seems to be some kind of running story line this time around. The new Webby is especially great, even if she is basically the Pines twins combined together in duck form. I wasn't sure at first about the triplets being voiced by adult men but it works well enough and I like that they have their own unique personalities this time around (which is one of the few things Quack Pack actually got right).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Sep 24, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That was pretty good, new Webby continues to be great and bringing in Magica's niece from the comics (albeit with a different name and appearance) was an interesting idea. Counting the original show, was this the first Ducktales episode in which Scrooge makes no appearance?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 1, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It seems kind of obvious in hindsight that Lena was most likely just playing Webby from the start so she could get access to the mansion. It's possible she could end up switching sides later on though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Just to check, counting the double-long pilot as one episode there have been four so far?

That's correct, yes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

cptn_dr posted:

PFT is always wonderful, so glad he's in this.

I would have also accepted Rob Paulsen reprising his role but this is just as good in my opinion.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

Wait, guest star? Aw, Gladstone is only going to appear in that one episode?
I suppose it's understandable given that you don't want to stretch the main cast too much, but still. I would have liked for him to be a secondary character that shows up from time to time.

If I recall correctly, he only made a small handful of appearances in the original show as well. He might be back, just not on a regular basis.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm not sure that anybody recognizes in-character that Donald's voice is at all unusual.

I think they made a few jokes about that in the original Ducktales show actually.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, in the cartoons I think at worst he can be a bit selfish and at times lets his greed/pride get the better of him but he generally always snaps out of it by the end of the episode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I can't quite tell for sure, is that still Jim Cummings doing the voice?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Awesome, didn't think they'd recast him anyway since he's been a regular VA at Disney for a long time now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Well, if it's not, it's a drat good copycat

It was indeed Jim Cummings, I just looked it up to be sure. Hopefully we'll be seeing more of DW in the future, I kind of like the new Fenton/Gizmoduck as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 12, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I reckon they're going to do a mix of 'method actor becomes the mask' and 'old hero comes out of retirement' with Darkwing Duck, noting that he does all his own stunts (and thus already has most of the skillset, but isn't totally Batman) and the conspicuous absence of Gosalyn.

Gosalyn would have to be recast now that Christine Cavanaugh is sadly no longer with us but it would be nice to see her again too. A story about Darkwing being a washed up TV star trying to regain his former glory would actually make for a good episode to be honest.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is the sound on that Darkwing Duck clip kind of fuzzy for anyone else?

Yeah, not sure why. It's better in the actual episode though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ruflux posted:

IIRC, the Simpsons VAs have to sign a bunch of non-compete clauses to make the kind of money they do, so the real reason is probably just contractual stuff preventing him from appearing in other cartoons or sitcoms or whatever.

Is that a recent thing? Because I'm pretty sure Dan at least appeared in other stuff before while still working on the Simpsons (not sure if he's done anything else recently though).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

For some reason I only just now realized he voiced the Grandpa on Hey Arnold.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

Wait, does this episode not include the kids?

Just the opposite actually, the episode is all about the kids and Scrooge makes no appearance (apart from a cardboard cutout that is). Also, I'm guessing I missed the Gummi Bears cameo. Where was it?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Pretty sure that's in next week's episode.

Oh ok, I didn't watch the preview clip so I assumed they were talking about this week's episode. Nevermind then.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Launchpad's advantage is the fact that he can pilot or drive anything. He always crashes at the end, but he almost always gets to their destination first.

Out of curiosity, was Launchpad in the comics or was he a creation of the 1987 cartoon?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This show continues to be better than the original in nearly every aspect, I don't think there's been a bad episode yet. They even vastly improved a lot of characters I kind of found annoying in the 1987 version (Webby, Beakly, the triplets, etc.).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 15, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Was Beakly even a real character? Did she do anything beside explain the presence of Webby/The Girl One. HD+L having their own things, to the point that you can have episodes with only one of them was an essential change. There have even been episodes without Scrooge!

Updating Gyro to be abrasive has worked too, fewer well-meaning-but-accident-prone types.

Yes she was I believe, and there were even episodes somewhat dedicated to her. But her role was more or less just housemaid, guardian to Webby, and occasional damsel in distress as far as I can remember. There were some episodes without Scrooge in the original as well but not many.

But either way, nearly every character from that series has been improved on significantly in the reboot (Scrooge and Launchpad seem more or less the same though). Hell, I actually like Webby now (which is something I never thought I'd say).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 15, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So for some reason they'll be swapping out Donald's VA for the season finale, not sure why exactly.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/07/20/don-cheadle-donald-duck-ducktales/

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Finally got around to seeing the most recent episode, the classic Webby doll was a nice touch. So are we going straight into the season finale from here or are there more episodes in between?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, I could have sworn I've seen that particular Bigfoot design from this episode somewhere before but I can't quite remember where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I haven't seen it yet but is the new Don Karnage as entertaining as his original version was and does he have the same voice actor?