Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Ballz posted:

Short answer: Yes!

Longer answer: A lot of stuff is now out of print so it can be a little confusing about what to look for and how much money you want to drop on it.

The one thing that will probably be repeatedly referenced in this thread is Don Rosa's "Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck." It's a multi-part series Rosa did in the 90s (and won him an Eisner Award) that follows Scrooge from being a Glasgow pauper to richest duck in the world. The new DuckTales series is taking inspiration from a lot of this, although it's not an adaptation.

There've been a couple of trade paperbacks devoted exclusively to this series, but they're out of print, so they tend to be overpriced. If you want the original comics, you'll find it in Uncle Scrooge #285 through #296. Go digging in your local comic store's back issues, they'll probably be fairly cheap (incidentally you'll find a few of my letters to the editor in a couple of those issues :shobon:)

But good news, there's an easier way! Fantagraphics is releasing a 10-volume hardcover collection compiling every Don Rosa comic. I think we're up to volume 7 now, and each go for about 20 bucks. If you're looking for just the original Life of Scrooge series, it's in volumes 4 and 5. But seriously just get all of them, all of his stories are excellent.

Next we go to Carl Barks, the "Duck Man" who created Scrooge, Glomgold, the grand-nephews, Magic De Spell, etc. etc. etc. Barks wrote hundreds of comics from 1943 to 1967. There's a metric fuckton of his work available in all kinds of collections and compilations. If you want to go the pricey collector route, there's a 10-volume 7,000+ page giant hardcover collection from the 1980s called the Carl Barks Library. That'll only set you back about $2,000 on eBay.

But like the Don Rosa Library, Fantagraphics is again doing their own complete compilation. But whereas the Rosa collection is 10 volumes, Barks was a bit more prolific and when finished, will be in the neighborhood of 30 books. I don't think we're even at the halfway mark for it.

If you don't know where to start for Barks, I recommend Only a Poor Old Man (the beginning of the "classic" era of Scrooge comics) or Lost in the Andes arguably the single best comic Barks ever wrote. It was certainly his personal favorite.

btw the above is obviously from a North American collector's perspective. Lord knows what you can get in Europe, where Barks and Rosa are basically celebrities.

This saved my life, my mom is a huge fan of the Scrooge McDuck comics from when she was a little girl so this is great to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Just finished the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck and knowing this is part of the basis of the new series really puts a lot of the pilot in perspective. If they use even half of it they'll have lots of material to work with. And Scrooge himself, oof. The loneliness in the first episode seems a lot more like karmic retribution after reading that. I mean poor guy, but geez he does a lot to bring all this trouble on himself.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

Well, they're probably not going to use the chapter about Scrooge becoming a robber baron and alienating his entire family because this Scrooge appears to have kept in touch with his nephew and niece. Or maybe they'll change the cause of the fallout instead to suit this new adventures-hungry treasure hunting Scrooge since it's implied in this continuity that something that happened on one of his adventures that caused Donald, and potentially others in his family, to not want anything to do with him up until now.

Impossible to know but I meant it more in a meta-sense. Scrooge is a gently caress up and he has lots of history to back that up in several canons, make the little bastard suffer. :v:

As it relates to the reboot they might work it into the show somehow. We know that Donald is not Scrooge's only family which is presumably still around in some fashion but there is a rift between Scrooge and those people as well. If they want to ask the question where is Matilda? they could bring it in. According to the nebulous internet rumor mill the comic was required reading for all cast members so they're certainly aware.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

X_Toad posted:

Have you read the story in which Scrooge reunites with Matilda? Things got really emotional and Scrooge really explains what it was in Donald and the triplets that really got him going again, and it is beautiful.

Sometimes I wish for Don Rosa stories set after Scrooge's death, to see how everyone else deals with it and how Scrooge prepared his grand-nephews to succeed him at the head of his business empire.

Not yet! Life and Times is the first Scrooge comic I've read that wasn't my mom's comics from 60s Amsterdam. That story sounds really poignant, I'll track it down.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
The main thrust of the complaints seem to be "too much like Sheldon Cooper" which is a character with a big hatedom.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqz2Xt7hWKo New clip of Louie being everything Scrooge despises.

can't wait to see Louie get murdered by his great uncle on Ducktales tomorrow

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I missed Scrooge for these 2 episodes but it was great to see the kids just being kids :) Poor Louie, he put all that work in for a fake dime and didn't learn a thing.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Donald pausing his rage-off to gently tilt the picture on the wall kills me every time

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
He wanted to mess it up without breaking it. Lawful Good Donald Duck.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Scrooge just wants to hoard all the good ideas for
himself.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

MichiganCubbie posted:

You could have him be born in 1920, die in 2020, adventures happening in the 2010s, and he could have visited Cape Suzette when he was a teenager. Basically you could do a World War 2 story in the world of Talespin. Maybe he fought with Don Karnage at one point.

@showrunners please do this

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
How many episodes are we getting this season?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Nice

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
*marge simpson voice* kids could you lighten up a little?

HIJK fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 9, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I wanted to meet Ziyi but UNCLE SCROOGE WAS FINALLY IN AN EPISODE

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

VacuumJockey posted:

This new DuckTales show is awesome, and I'm happy we'll finally be getting it in Scandinavia next month.

My unrelated Barks tale: Back in the early nineties, Carl Barks had most of his duck paintings displayed at a local popular arts museum here in Copenhagen. As raving Barks fans, my best bud and I naturally went to see the exhibition on opening day, in large part because Carl Barks would be there in person. (I found this video.)

These being the days before the internet was omnipresent, or even popular, we naturally thought ourselves very clever. After all, how many duck fans could there be in Denmark, right? We'd have The Master all to ourselves! Autograph time, baby!

Well, that's not how it went. When we got there, there was a line outside! When we finally got in, the place was packed with danes of all stripes, all walking quietly around, admiring the duck art (which is awesome, BTW - if you get a chance to see CB's duck paintings, go, just go!) and just generally digging the hell out of it. It was a pretty eye-opening experience for us; we were completely flabbergasted that there were so many of us! And remarkably many were not young student goons as we were, but mature art patrons - real, working adults.

Then Barks came out, and one of the patrons interviewed him about this piece and that. During all of this hullabaloo, Barks was kind, courteous, and full of stories and anecdotes about what he had on his mind when he created the painting at hand. It was a good, relevant interview lasting over half an hour, and all present enjoyed it in respectful silence.

This is the good part: When the interview was over, Barks got a enthusiastic standing ovation lasting several minutes! You could actually see the poor guy wondering what he'd done to deserve it. But Donald Duck had a very special standing in 20th century Denmark (long story), and that day, a lot of us got to thank the artist that had provided us with so much joy.

That was my Carl Barks tale.

:3: this is a wonderful story

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
the show's emphasis is heavily on jokes, so most things will be sacrificed to the alter of that.

To contrast this the drama between Scrooge and Donald wasn't sacrificed to comedy and the contrast made that very effective. I just hope they can keep that up.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Launchpad is one of the few who puts up with Scrooge's grumpy rear end, that's probably the most compelling reason. Scrooge needs him, not the other way around.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Just watched Toth-Ra. The brief Thriller sequence was great. Scrooge being protective of his kids was awesome too.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

This show is great. Fun, funny, breezy, good characters, well written. It's one of the better pure adventure shows I've seen.

But as an adult in 2017 I'm also struggling with watching an escapist fantasy about the ultra wealthy. Sure, it occasionally addresses economic disparity issues in a line or two, or tries to make Scrooge more generous than in the original show. But it's really difficult not to see some ugly class commentary in there for me, especially when it comes to the Beagle Boys living in trailers in a junk yard, or the one lower class friend having a dark spirit living inside her that occasionally comes out to attempt murder, or Huey Dewey and Louie acting like entitled rich kids at the arcade then ultimately being rewarded for it with even more privelage, or the downtrodden inventor being dismissed and nickel-and-dimed by a corporate board who is poised to make fabulous wealth off of his ideas.

Maybe all of that is completely intentional and the show is just addressing it in time in a nuanced way. But to me the show never quite seems to land on the ethically right side of the issues for me. I just keep feeling like Scrooge should have a Schindler's List moment where he realizes that greed is a disease and capitalism is evil and he could alleviate so much suffering in the world if he just didn't have a giant bin full of gold to swim in.

Or maybe it's just a kid's show and I should let it go.

It is certainly a kid's show and Scrooge's wealth is a plot device to let the kids go to strange and fascinating places instead school. Expecting a cartoon retelling of The Wire is what sank Korra, it's a lot to ask of a kid's cartoon to ask for a plot where Scrooge McDuck, a guy who grew up in horrific crippling poverty, to realize that having wealth and the ability to take care of himself and his family without fear is actually pure evil.

It's a cartoon aimed at young kids, I don't think it can sustain that kind of commentary without a huge tone shift.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Louis casually swiping Scrooge's credit card and using it to enjoy the tourist spa was the best part of the episode, especially how Scrooge just accepts it and lets it go.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

tsob posted:

Wait, do you actually see Louis swipe it in the background or something? I'll have to re-watch the episode to see that if so. Scrooge's Santa line is so perfect the entire episode is worth a re-watch just to hear it again.

I don't think so :( I think it's just implied with how Scrooge doesn't know Louis took the card until Launchpad breaks it to him, and Louis has a history of sticky fingers.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
They would need more original content for that, does Disney have enough cartoons for a Disney Afternoon?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

exquisite Batman reference (just like the old DW show!)

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Catching up and Scrooge's birthday party is hilarious

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I put forth that both Gyros are good and that the old Duck Tales holds up so long as you remember it for the ridiculously sweet and cute 80s piece that it is.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
IIRC the only explanation in the comics is that back in the 40s or something a firework exploded under his lawnchair and it sent him to the hospital. The triplets' mother was unable to cope and sent them to Donald.

Otherwise the dad just...isn't in the picture. Even his face on the family tree is obscured. It's the stuff fanfic is made of.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I am betting that Della was trying to move against Magica de Spell and was trying to protect her family from the witch. Of course now Scrooge is alone and unprotected from Magica and Lena already knows the layout of the manor thanks to Webby, and Della won't be there to bail him out this time.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Ruflux posted:

I sincerely hope they don't undercut their own storytelling by pulling something like this. They've been working hard to establish Della as Scrooge's favorite, but also built her up in the comics to make her flaws more interesting. If they then pull a "actually she didn't do anything wrong" card it'll feel incredibly weak and basically entirely negate her character flaws. It'd also undercut Scrooge's arc - he's been built up as being stubborn yet having a lot of guilt over Della, while still not wanting to face the fact that Donald was right and he should've never built the drat rocket in the first place. If it turns out Della had some really deep purpose for taking the rocket before it was ready, then it'll just mean Scrooge was absolutely justified in the end, and his apparent favoritism of Della had absolutely no negative effect.

That's a good point! I guess we'll have to wait until next week to see! :aaaaa:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well, "absent family" is like the Chekhov's Gun of the entire duck family legendarium; in the original comics it's "where the hell are Huey Dewey and Louie's parents," and then in the 80's Ducktales it's also "where the hell is Donald" ? Like, I remember being a little kid watching the original show and even I would occasionally go "ok it's weird that Donald never shows up, where is he?"

Like, we don't even know H/D/L 's dad's name! After like eighty years of stories!

The current show was absolutely right to tackle that issue head-on as much as they could but there are some inevitable story weirdnesses they couldn't really avoid given that history. Like, if you want to make a Ducktales revival show at all, it's hard to do that and fit Donald into the plot because Launchpad filled his role and you can't cut Launchpad because he's also iconic.

edit: this show and this thread is making me aware that I have much stronger Duckpinions than I had previously realized

I just wish we got more Donald because he's got this family tragedy thing going and seeing more of that would be cool

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
That was a perfect season finale, whoever said the animation looked a lot crisper than usual was totally on the money! (eheheheheh) Can't wait for them to go to the moon, this'll be great!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Agreed. Hopefully they'll integrate him better in season 2!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Impermanent posted:

Why is the dime magic? I thought it was just a sentimental item for scrooge.

For Scrooge it does nothing but because he values it so much the dime is magic in the hands of the correct people.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
That Sinatra cover was absolutely amazing, where has that been all this time???

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
BOTL had the gentlest trolling imaginable, I can understand him being kicked for being annoying but y’all could afford to toughen up a bit

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

BOTL is like a mild toothache. He's never extremely egregious but it's just constant and unending irritation. That poo poo somehow found his way into almost every thread I have bookmarked. I guess we can show just how internet tough we are by enduring it but... why?

yeah, that’s why he was kicked, so the toothache is gone :shrug:

DoctorWhat posted:

He also cyberstalked a disabled goon and accused me of being a child molester.

which goon was he going after?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Who cares? The guy’s been hounded enough already. Why are you going to the mat for a gaslighting stalker who cites sex offenders and calls people pedophiles when he starts losing arguments?

For gently caress’s sake, it’s a thread for a TV show about rich as gently caress cartoon ducks, why are we still talking about one miserable dink who’s been gone for nearly a week now?

What are you talking about? I’m perfectly happy he’s gone, like I said, he was annoying, and I certainly don’t want to bring him back. Why are you acting like I ever said any of that? The only thing I was commenting on was that he was generally a pretty mild troll at least in this thread. I guess if saying “he was a mild troll but he’s gone so now the annoying poster is gone which is good” is “going to the mat” for him then whoops ya caught me.

The only reason I brought it up is because I noticed the new posts made in the thread talking about him.

Are you sure you’re reading my posts correctly?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Watching that episode is literally one of my very first memories

There's been some speculating that we might be getting some time and dimension traveling shenanigans in this show eventually, which would be a good way to handle that

Gargoyles is still pretty drat adult even by 2019 standards

last I heard Gargoyles was continuing life as a comic book series by the show creator, does Disney still own it?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

fun anecdote from the panel: Apparently Lin-Manuel Miranda's son is old enough to watch the show and understand his dad is in it, but not quite old enough to understand that Fenton's mother isn't played by Lin's real mother. So every time she shows up, he goes "that's Abeula!" and Lin made everyone swear to never reveal the truth :3:

this is adorable :kimchi:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Taking a risk with Mickey and giving him a personality would make him relevant again.

The season finale was great, Glomgold’s plan working (the sharkas...) was fantastic. The reveal at the end was great too. The show has done a good job of tackling how parents and children interact and how this can be fraught, they do the family dynamic really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
There’s no real canon on that. Barks said he kept the triplets’ father blank on the family tree so that he could fill in a fan’s name for giggles on request.