Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TFRazorsaw posted:

Fenton's last name is hypenated now. It's Crackshell-Cabrera now.

Also, if Cape Suzette exists in this universe, does that mean Shere Khan is one of Scrooge's business rivals?

It is possible that while we have Cape Suzette in this universe(as well as Sky Pirates), that the characters in Tale Spin that originated in The Jungle Book might be off limits themselves, as apparently there's been some issues in the past between Disney and Ruyard Kipling's estate(as well as the estate of the singer King Louie is based on)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

One theory that's popped up is that she's somehow become Magica, or at least been possessed by her, would certainly explain why they've been so tight lipped about her despite being the original show's most iconic villain

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

RandomPauI posted:

Roxanne was the daughter of Goofy's neighbor right?

Nope, she was a new character introduced in Goofy Movie as Max's love interest(but was dropped for the sequel, only to come back for House of Mouse, but then disappeared again the next time we saw an adult Max in one of the CG Christmas specials)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Larryb posted:

Huh, I thought I'd heard somewhere that that was one of the problems Don Rosa had with Ducktales.

One issue Rosa had was Scrooge having such a blatant Scottish accent, he always felt that since Scrooge left Scotland at a pretty early age and spent most of his life in the United States that he'd only have the slightest trace of a Scottish accent if he had one at all

Also while I don't agree with absolutely everything he believes, I do feel he is probably the second best Duck writer after Carl Barks, and part of that is due to how much love and thought he gives his work

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Did the Duck comics acknowledge any of the wars? When Scrooge came to America it would've been right at the tail end of reconstruction, and then there's the Spanish-American war, both world wars, and then the Korean war right when Scrooge was doing his adventures with his nephews.

There's only one Disney cartoon I know of that acknowledges the war, but at the end it turns out it was all a dream.

At least a couple comics acknowledged Donald's service in WW2, including the fact that he has at least some form of PTSD from it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Alacron posted:

I hope they don't do something dumb like make Della turn out to be Magica or something.

That's been one of the more common theories, although split between her actually being Magica or just being possessed by her or something

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

It would be funny if one of the episodes that was supposed to go between the last one and this one is about Ma Beagle breaking out of jail.

It'd fit in the Disney Afternoon tradition. Remember how most of Darkwing Duck's villains appeared before their own origin episodes? :D

Yeah looking back it's amazing that Gargoyles managed to avoid that problem for the most part

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

actually the Live Action film being in development means that that's it's the only Disney Afternoon show that they're not allowed to reference

I think that's what he meant

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I mentioned before Donald's PTSD, well here's a "canon" page that showed it(warning for racist language);

and here's a fan's take on the concept using DT2017 Donald;

source

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Avalerion posted:

http://www.sassquach.com/journal/2013/11/4/boys-night.html

As far as weird fan comics go this one probably takes the cake.

That comic is everything I wanted Bojack Horseman to be

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Inescapable Duck posted:

Webby meeting Gosalyn... hoo boy.

And in grand internet tradition people are already shipping them together even though one of them hasn't even appeared in the show yet

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly I can't stand Gladstone, they most of the time are TOO successful at making him obnoxious, which combined with him rarely ever losing in a way that he would actually care about due to his luck and laziness just makes any story with him in it a drag to read

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I remember a fun little story were Donald and the Nephews got a in a competition with Gladstone to find some treasure or something that was buried in a beach. Which highlighted one of the few flaws Gladstone had with his luck. Because of how unambitious and lazy Gladstone is he is quick to give up whenever his luck does not just hand him what he wants.

During the search Gladstone just decides to lay down on the beach and wait for the treasure to fall into his hands. While Donald and the Nephews dig and search fruitlessly. Eventually Gladstone gives up tired of waiting figuring it must be somewhere else. The Nephews actually wonder why Gladstone's luck had not allowed him to find the treasure. Then realize were Gladstone was sitting was the only place they had not checked in the area. And sure enough Gladstone had been sitting on the treasure the whole time, but was too lazy to actually check.

If they had that kind of thing happen more often and/or gave him some more positive character traits I'd probably like him better

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Although the story ends with Gladstone removing this weakness and being lucky all the time, I still found it entertaining and fitting. After they figure out why Gladstone is unlucky on his birthday. Donald points out he can use it to steal Gladstones luck. Which leads to them getting in a race for it. (Scrooge saying this is going to be great to watch.) Gladstone ends up coming out on top. And everyone happily celebrates Gladstones birthday. With Scrooge joking with Donald stating that Gladstones Amateur bad luck was no match for Donald's perpetual misfortune.

Actually that's another recurring thing in the comics I can't stand, Donald's perpetual bad luck, I prefer his mishaps coming from him letting his temper or greed get the best of him, not from him just happening to be the universe's punching bag

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ballz posted:

I just realized what didn’t sit right with me about the Gladstone episode: the triplets refer to Gladstone as an uncle, but he’s actually their cousin.

Lots of people refer to cousins of older generations as aunt or uncle, it's just easier, after all they call Scrooge uncle as well

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

How could Donald "Incomprehensible" Duck possibly impersonate anyone

If I recall properly both Barks and Rosa have mentioned that they picture Donald having a much less heavy "accent" in their comics than he has in the cartoons

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've always enjoyed Scrooge's stinginess.

On the opposite side I've always found it his least entertaining aspect, as most writers take it way too drat far(I've mentioned before my distaste of the old gag they use in the comics about how poorly Scrooge pays Donald, which thankfully the new show has avoided), not saying he has to suddenly be wantonly wasteful with his money, just that if he's going to be cheap about something there should be a good reason for it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

The fact that it took itself 100% seriously just made it better.

Well enough that KND then borrowed the "Hall Monitors as Cops" conceit for a couple of episodes

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Alacron posted:

Mighty Ducks cameo when?

If I recall properly they're one of the few things that they can't use, along with Mickey and the Rescue Rangers

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I love this show's depiction of Scrooge's thriftiness. He's not some insane person about it, he's just a cheap dude.

Yeah that's often a huge problem I have with Scrooge in the comics, they massively overdo his thriftiness to the point where it is insane, and often to the comic's detriment too

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, was Launchpad in the comics or was he a creation of the 1987 cartoon?

The latter, he was created partially to fill the role Donald usually served in the comics

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I have no idea how I know this, but isn't this what happened to Della in the comics? Not that she's on the moon, but that she got lost in space?

Yup, well at least in a relatively recent comic

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

With Donald in the comics it's hard to describe but basically I read it as he still has some of the classic Donald voice, it's just a lot clearer than normal

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

Launchpad imitating Donald was amazing.

I'm having trouble making sense of Scrooge's backstory and family now though. Scrooge grew up absolutely destitute to the point where his father believed the only thing he could pass onto his son was a 10 cent lesson in self reliance. Also they lived in an ancestral castle that was known to have a massive treasure in it. How do you grow up destitute in an ancestral castle that is known to have a massive treasure in it, especially when your father has at least some idea of how to locate said treasure?

In the Life & Times of Scrooge McDuck version of it, it's because they hadn't lived in the castle for centuries, and various misfortunes had both left the clan in poverty as well as diminishing their numbers till Scrooge was the only male member of his generation(which is why he's often pointed out as being the last of Clan McDuck multiple times throughout that comic)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh yeah. The problem is that one of the seminal texts of archaeology-pulp was the Fu Manchu series, which was explicitly, "The Nazis are literally the strong aryan protagonists fighting the Yellow Devil" racist, to the point that the last novel in the series was published in 1939 for *reasons*

It's actually bizarre reading Fu Manchu today because any modern reader, you get more than a few pages in, you start to realize Fu Manchu is actually the hero to any modern audience and the purported protagonists are the clearly racist villains. The central stroke of genius behind the entire Indiana Jones franchise was "Ok, let's write Fu Manchu stories, but this time we make the Nazis the villains"

You just have to be able to read it with a certain amount of academic distance I think is all.

I've got a copy of the first Fu Manchu book, and I've been meaning to read it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe there's also some sort of copyright issue around Fu Manchu so you can never actually name the character if you use him. So in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, he's only ever called "the Doctor" or "the Lord of Limehouse" while in Kim Newman novels he's exclusively referred to as "the Lord of Strange Deaths".

If I recall properly it's mostly just that the estate of his creator are pretty aggressive in both protecting and licensing his trademarks

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'm still mad they wasted Hunchback of Notre Dam on a side game, but considering the nature of the worlds you visit in Dream Drop Distance at least it would be easy to justify going through the plot all over again

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So if they have all the rights to the Disney Afternoon shows, how long till Gargoyles show up

Would Xanatos be a bird or dog person?

Also him and Scrooge would probably have a very interesting interactions with each other

Lastly if Gargoyles ever got revived as it's own thing there would be some issues to be taken care of, a reboot would alienate a lot of fans, but if it's a continuation then they have to deal with the issue that unlike most shows where the dates aren't that important, with Gargoyles it's actually really important that it's set in the mid 90s

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

OB_Juan posted:

And what show would they borrow the cast from to voice all the side characters?

Eh most of the original cast is still alive and active to my knowledge, so shouldn't need to have to do much in the way of recasting

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

RandomPauI posted:

A dimension-hopping episode featuring a Gargoyles cameo could be fun.

Probably would be the best way to handle it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

maltesh posted:

Okay, I'll bite. Why is it so important that Gargoyles is set in the mid-90's?

They actually directly state the dates pretty often, like the main group got cursed in 994, and were freed from it in 1994, and over the course of the show they laid out a pretty detailed chronology covering not only that 1000 year gap, but also some stuff before then as well

This only applies for a proper continuation of course, a reboot could change some things around if they wanted to

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Larryb posted:

As I recall, there were some elements of the original creator's plan that made it into the Goliath Chronicles (the Quarrymen for example), a pity it sucked though and that the comic continuation of said creator's vision was so short lived.

Honestly the SLG comics weren't particularly good

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Larryb posted:

Fair, but I still thought they were better than the actual third season at the very least.

True, also as maligned as a lot of the Avalon World Tour episodes are, I'd say they're overall decent, only one I skipped over during my most recent rewatch of the series about a month ago was the episode was the episode with Raven, and that was partly because it's basically the one episode of the World Tour that doesn't really connect to any of the overarching plots

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

tsob posted:

What's wrong with the remaster? Admittedly I haven't played the older one, but the remaster seemed like a decent enough game.

Could they not just include a time skip? I missed out on Gargoyles growing up, despite only being 11 when it started, so I'm not too familiar with it but they're living stone creatures so wouldn't age be less of an issue for them? Could they not just say "20 years later" or something, and just go from there?

It wouldn't be much of a problem for the Gargoyle characters since they age at only half the rate humans do, but it's a bit of an issue for the human cast

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And while we said Beakley is Brock Samson now with the figure, Donald actually fits that role just as well complete with the homicidal rage.

Donald fluctuates rather well between being either Brock or Rusty for these kind of modified Venture Brothers quotes, just imagine this scene with Donald(mild spoilers for Venture Brothers Season 7's finale);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQYUjeGMvBI

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Senerio posted:

Good episode. Quite enjoyed it.

I looked to see whether we're getting weekly releases, and we are.

But more importantly, Season 2 episode 5 is titled Storkules in Duckburg! which is up there on the list of "best possible names for episodes."

That name is probably a reference to Hercules in New York, which was Arnold Schwarzenegger's first movie

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I liked one of the recent Ducktales comics were Louie going a trip with Scrooge. Featuring one of Scrooge's best lines.

And some good Scrooge Moments.

I've said it before but I hate it when they do gags about Scrooge paying people subhuman wages, it takes the "Scrooge is a cheapskate" gag to an unlikable extent

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Larryb posted:

So I've never actually seen The Three Caballeros, how is it? Also were Jose and Panchito voiced by their original actors in this, or if not did they at least sound close?

Yeah it and it's prequel Saludos Amigos are fun movies, but then pretty much the only movie in the Disney Animated Canon that is completely without merit is probably Dinosaur in my opinion

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

fractalairduct posted:

They've also said they wanted voice actors who actually matched their nationalities.

Or The Wild, if you live in Europe.

If it were up to me I'd strike both from the Canon and stick something else in their place, like The Nightmare Before Christmas or A Goofy Movie, something that was actually good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

Christmas came early!

Agreed, it's a bona fide Turkey Day miracle