Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Just caught up with the first few episodes. The Brock Sampson line in the OP is spot on. This show is Venture Bros. for kids. And as I watch more of it, I’m seriously starting to question the “for kids” part :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Moon Slayer posted:

Ahaha the top "related video" is something called "How Disney XD is Ruining DuckTales" and it's like ten minutes long. Of course there are angry DuckTales purists out there.

I watched the first few minutes out of curiosity and it's actually the dude talking about how there's some kind of Cartoon Network schedule fuckery going on behind the scenes w/r/t the episode release order. Apparently there was supposed to be a Huey-centric episode between Day Trip of Doom and the Great Dime Chase so that the first three episodes after the pilot would have been a Webby-centered one, a Huey-centered one, then a Dewey/Louie-centered so all four kids got some character development before the main arc of the season kicked off. That alleged Huey episode has been shunted off to god knows where now, at least according to this dude and his "inside" sources, and it's basically loving with the rest of the show as a result.

So it's more just 10 minutes of Point of Order bitching rather than "George Lucas Disney XD ruined my childhood." Not that that's any more redeeming.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

You know, it's funny. I don't really recall Glomgold having that big or memorable an impact on the original series, yet he's possibly my favorite part of this show. Every time he or one of his crappy Trump-style brand name products turns up on the show I just smile because this incarnation of him is just such a fun character. You kind of end up rooting for him, even though he's clearly the bad guy. Like, I would honestly be 100% okay if he actually succeeded in killing Mark Beaks in that volcano. Just because it's Glomgold.

Also Beaks is a huge rear end, but whatever.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Inescapable Duck posted:

It looks like Magica is going to be the 'rarely appearing, deadly serious threat' villain rather than Glomgold. (With Glomgold possibly taking on a bit of Rockerduck with their rivalry being as much pissing contests as violent conflict)

I wonder how they're gonna handle Magica and what her exact deal is. Is she just somewhere else right now and communicating with Lena through her shadow, or is she actually possessing her shadow and Lena's trying to bring her into the real world. I wonder how they're gonna handle Poe De Spell in the show now too? And if Lena is Magica's niece, does that mean she's his daughter in this version :confused:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised to see that both Toth-Ra and the tomb keeper were voiced by Bassem Youssef. They've just been on point with their guest stars so far.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

So... what language does Launchpad blurt out while high on snake venom in the Norwegian dub?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

misadventurous posted:

"If I had a nickel for every person who cursed me with their dying breath, I'd be twice as rich as I already am!"

Okay, now picture, if you can, James Urbaniak saying that line instead of David Tennant.

Tell me again that this show isn't just Venture Bros. with funny animals...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The sad part is I can easy see Scrooge beating the poo poo out of Santa Claus.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Inescapable Duck posted:

They have been playing a bit with Donald and Scrooge's personality clashes, and that Donald is less willing to put up with Scrooge's poo poo than anyone else. Might be because media these days is a lot more aware of how people live in precarious life and financial situations and kids no longer take the nuclear family for granted; an uncle raising the kids while the parents aren't involved was a contrivance in the old comics for multiple reasons but now it hits closer to home. Donald isn't just a luckless loser who can't keep a job and ends up with kids foisted on him who he becomes an occasionally abusive/exploitative caretaker of but a single parent struggling to make ends meet and worrying about kids he can barely find the time to take care of.

Plus add into that the layer of resentment bubbling away under the surface in the new series because Donald functionally believes (rightly or wrongly) that Scrooge and his insane adventures basically got his sister killed, or at the very least landed her in a position where she's been unable or unwilling to contact him or her kids for the last 10 years--all of whom he has to take care of now by himself.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

It seems like every series does that kind of poo poo these days. I know streaming services tend to promote viewing in batches, but I don't see any other reason to be so irregular.

This is why I'm actually kind of a fan of Voltron's bisected seasons that come out like three months apart, and then six months apart from the end one block to the next. It seems to balance the workload of actually making the show with letting people actually watch episodes of it in a timely manner. Like, apparently work had been underway on DuckTales for nearly a year and a half before the first episode even went to air

Though stuff like Cartoon Network sitting on entire seasons of Steven Universe and Adventure Time for no reason I will never understand even if it's explained to me in bullet point detail.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Haven't watched the episode yet, but I am kinda digging all the mounting subtle implications that Louie is on track to become some kind of Gen-Z version of Glomgold in like 20 years.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

That looked an awful lot like Sky Pirates in that trailer. Are the rumours true? Are we getting Don Carnage this year?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HIJK posted:

They would need more original content for that, does Disney have enough cartoons for a Disney Afternoon?

People have speculated that DuckTales is going to be the Iron Man to a potential Disney Afternoon revival's MCU with the likes of TaleSpin and Darkwing Duck reboots spinning off from it, but as of now it's just speculation.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Senerio posted:

I just saw the trailer. It's real.

The trailer in question, for the curious.

I do kind of love that, for being the rational skeptic of the lot, Huey is still totally jazzed to meet Literally Zeus.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

The makes the whole thing even funnier is that between colours and voice actors (Tara Strong and Andrea Libman) they covered all the members of the main MLP cast who have, one way or another, gone psycho during that shows’ run (AFIK, the rest could have in the million seasons that aired since I stopped paying attention)

...John DeLancie's still sane, right? :ohdear:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Finally caught up on the latest batch of episodes. I really appreciate that after being teased as this super serious dark threat to everyone, it turns out that Magica's actually just as big of a dumbass as Glomgold is. That's fantastic :allears:

The villains on this show are just so fantastic, even, god help me, Beaks too.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 24, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ok this clip from an upcoming episode both shows some peak Scrooge and a really fun cameo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxhXrdGX_eI

Oh, so I guess Beakly was 100% serious when she said she's a spy. Neat.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Brock Samson as a grandma, I told ya.

Someone needs to photoshop up an OSI License To Kill for Beakly. This has to happen.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

It’s probably just an in joke. DT17 and DT87 have shown up a few times on things over the course of the show so far. They of course stand for DuckTales 2017 and DuckTales 1987, the premiere dates of both shows. Lunchpad’s drivers license number is DT87, for example.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bleck posted:

Webby went from being "the girl one" to "my favorite non-Scrooge character"

Same. Hell, I’d probably say she’s my favourite character period in the new show. I love that she’s hyper competent in everything that’s utterly impractical to daily life and that she’s so purpose-built to be a Johnny Quest-type adventurer that she’s incapable of functioning as a normal human being ala the triplets.

E: I love that all four aspects of Scrooge’s personality are diffused across the four kids. Huey’s the explorer. Dewey’s the adventurer. Louie’s the treasure hunter. And Webby’s the sociopath hero.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 16, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I kind of preferred Gyro as he was. A genius inventor and a nice guy, but utterly hapless and lacking in common sense and kind of a doormat.

I’ve kind of got a soft spot for hilariously dickish yet ultimately good hearted characters (see: Rodney McKay), so I’m quite enjoying the new Gyro. Plus I can barely remember what ‘87 Gyro was supposed to be like anyway, so the new Gyro is a marked improvement in my books.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pakled posted:

Being subscribed to the ducktales thread and various politics threads makes conversations about Donald Duck confusing.

The newbie avatars don't help

I've kind of had the same experience, not gonna lie. It doesn't help that there's a lot of Donald Trump in Glomgold--intentionally or otherwise. Glomgold is infinitely more amusing and likeable in comparison, however.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Senerio posted:

Season 1 ends with a two part finale which has been renamed The Shadow War

Airs both parts on Aug 18.

That's a shame. I liked Day of McDuck / Night of DeSpell much better.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

So for some reason they'll be swapping out Donald's VA for the season finale, not sure why exactly.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/07/20/don-cheadle-donald-duck-ducktales/

I'm guessing either Donald gets whammied as a part of Magica's shadowpocalypse and comes out briefly sounding like Don Cheadle, or there's a some kind of Donald-Vision gag like what they did on King of the Hill with Boomhauer, where Donald Duck sounds like a normal articulate person... to Donald Duck, while everyone else around him sounds like an incomprehensible raspy screaming lunatic.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Theory - Magica DeSpell is Della Duck and the Spear of Selene has something to do with it.

These seems like people are trying to tie two disparate threads together and I really hope it's not true. Especially because everything we know about Magica seems to contradict everything we know about Della.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Finally got around to seeing the most recent episode, the classic Webby doll was a nice touch. So are we going straight into the season finale from here or are there more episodes in between?

Just going off the Comic Con trailer it looks like it's the Sky Pirates/Don Karnage episode first, and then the two-part finale.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Scrooge made it square but Glomgold didn't. Glomgold is ordinarily presented as a more realistic Gilded Age robber baron than Scrooge, who is himself an idealised version of Andrew Carnegie (since Carl Barks was an unabashed admirer of Carnegie and Rockefeller and the rest).

Modern Glomgold is also presented an analog to the Donald Trump and Leona Helmsley brand of billionaires. A heartless bombast who’s all style and little substance who managed to market his “personality” more than any actual product or service and who got rich and famous by slapping his name and face on literally anything he could—and doing it on the cheap.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I'm kind of impressed with how regularly they use the words "kill" and "die" on this show. I didn't think you were allowed to do that on children's television, but then again this show's been kind of transgression from the start, so why not go all-in on it, especially since everyone loves it.

Also, my exact thought process at a certain point during this Ep: "Man, they've really neutered Karnage compared to TaleSpin... aaaand he just murdered a dude. Well then." :stare:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

So between Mark Beaks, Black Heron, and Don Karnage, this means now that three of the four kids have personal antagonists to square off against down the road. I wonder who Louie's is going to be?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Interesting that they introduce Don Karnage on his own, though there's no reason he has to always be menacing just Baloo all the time. (also not sure if the Talespin cast are easy to use with the rights issues, but then again, they did specifically say there's only an executive mandate on Mickey and Chip 'n' Dale, everything else is fair game. And maybe Mighty Ducks rights issues)

Wouldn't be surprised if we see Higher for Hire appear in a future episode, and likely a race between Baloo and Launchpad. (Though let's be honest, Baloo would utterly smoke Launchpad) Would be interesting if they end up hired by one of Scrooge's rivals... Shere Khan might be an interesting rival to Scrooge himself, quite likely pragmatic enough to partner with Scrooge whenever possible rather than compete unless he's sure he has an edge.

According to the Comic Con trailer the show is (ostensibly) going to Cape Suzette before the end of the season. The brochure Donald's seen holding advertising the city also has the Sea Duck on it. At this point anything's possible, but we'll just have to wait and see.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bbf2 posted:

I think the reason Karnage was voiced by someone different is because these creators are very careful to avoid white actors voicing characters that sound like they could be a POC ethnicity (even though the "ethnicity"/accent of Karnage was always indeterminate, he seemed coded as Latino/Central American). Angones was asked on social media about the current Three Caballeros cartoon and said that he enjoys the voice actors on that show but if/when the other caballeros appear on Ducktales17 they would definitely be voiced by an actor from the country they're supposed to represent.

Or maybe Cummings was busy doing postproduction VO work for "Christopher Robin"

For some reason Disney's been extremely lax on this in recent years and we're all the better for it

I have no idea if he's involved in the casting process or not, but I just want to say that Sam Riegel's been doing a fantastic job as the voice director on the series thus far. I've been a big fan of his as a voice actor for a while now and it's nice to see he's just as talented on the other side of the recording booth too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I somehow missed The Other Bin of Scrooge McDuck until a couple of days ago and I just want to say I'm enjoying the gently caress out of the crazy roller coaster that is Catherine Tate's voice acting for Magica. Whoever cast Tate for the role scored a goddamn coup, she just so charismatic and I can't wait for the finale to see her and Scrooge finally come face to face, because her and David Tennant always have a blast in whatever they're in together.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

https://twitter.com/GLove39/status/1025727777063006208

Fictional duck billionaire publicly drags fictional orange billionaire.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Moon Slayer posted:

It's already aired, dude, no need for spoiler tags.

The ghost butler walking out at the end too was just insult to injury.

Duckworth walking out too made me do some combination of laugh and gasp at the same time. Like, wow, you crossed a line with a man who came back from the loving dead out of loyalty to you. That's a deep cut.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

I would love to see a modern take on Shere Khan.

I think Shere Khan is one of those characters you could play nearly the same as he was in the 90s, because the hyper-rich industrialist types that Khan was based on are just as evil and corrupt today as they were 20 years ago. He’d basically be like Glomgold, only deathly serious instead of a bumbling rube. You’d just need to find someone who can live up to Tony Jay’s chilling performance as Khan.

As for Kit, he already had a pretty good starting point for a character arc in the TaleSpin pilot, if I recall. He started out as a member of the Iron Vulture’s crew under Don Karnage (and was in fact Karnage’s protege) and abandoned them after he met Baloo, who showed him he could have a better life than that of a pirate while still flying the same skies as one. It was dropped fairly quickly after the pilot, however, but with modern storytelling focusing on continuity and serialization like DuckTales is doing, Kit’s struggle to find his place in the world between Karnage and Baloo and Rebecca is something you could stretch out over the course of a season now and milk a couple of good stories out of.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Clancy Brown might work, especially with how he's playing Red Death in Venture Bros.

Yeah. Clancy Brown, Keith David, or Ron Perlman. Or if you wanted to really spend some of that Disney :10bux: and do some David Tennant-style stunt casting, shoot for the moon and get Benedict Cumberbatch. Between Smaug and Star Trek Khan, I’m convinced he could do an absolutely pants-making GBS threads rendition of Shere Khan if you let him go full evil baritone Brit.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

I like that. Going with a Chinese or Indian actor with an accent could be a lot more interesting than trying to ape the old voice.

That's also a great option. Anil Kapoor could probably do a good Khan, I mean the man is the Indian Jack Bauer after all. 90s Khan was more the dude who colonized India rather than came out of India.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

The KH series has proven that he can do a decent impression of both Tony Jay and Christopher Lee so he could probably pull it off well enough.

Also, I finally saw the episode. God drat that ending, why is this show about cartoon ducks making me feel things :(. The finale is next week right (this seems like the perfect setup anyway since Scrooge is now alone and isolated and Magica has full control over Lena)?

And David Werner! :eng101: Dude was busy during Kingdom Hearts II so Burton subbed in for Sark using his Shockwave voice, which was based off Werner to begin with.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well in Karnage's case it's because they want an actor from a place they could be from. Cause who the hell knows what Karnage's accent is supposed to be.

It kind of teetered between French and Spanish depending on Jim Cummings's mood :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Also in the comics and the '87 show Glomgold was also an Afrikaner pretending to be Scottish because he had an obsessive hateboner for Scrooge and wanted to be him as much as he also wanted to kill him. They've said that in this version Glomgold is a pure Scot too just like Scrooge, but seeing as how literally everything else about him is a shoddy shame, maybe his backstory is too. Who knows...