Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Inescapable Duck posted:

They haven't focused greatly so far on Scrooge's stinginess, possibly because it's not exactly an endearing quirk for the rich in this day and age, though I imagine Launchpad stays employed because Scrooge figures it's cheaper to pay for relatively occasional damages than hire a competent chauffeur/pilot/skipper.

Scottish people being cheap was a legit racist stereotype back in the day so I imagine Disney is trying to downplay that aspect of the character.

It's also how Scotch tape got its name and why the packaging uses a tartan design :v:

dragon_pamcake posted:

I hope he's this guy's grandson and is a villain instead of a one-off visual gag. http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Arpin_Lusene

That reminds me that one thing I've enjoyed so far is how well the show has managed to have all the different anthropomorphic animals look distinct both across and between species while still being part of the same art style. The old comics kind of had the problem of the ducks all being a race of similar white fuzzy creatures and everyone else being humans with weird noses and ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm worried obsessing over the Duck family tree is going to get Goons the same reputation as Sonic or MLP fans. I was happy to watch the show with my five year old step-daughter who laughed at the silly duck hijinks and got a more mature version of Donald than the Mickey Mouse Club House episodes she's been watching for years and is outgrowing. But every time I look at that family tree image I get a little uncomfortable. I think it just reminds me of Sonic Character (OC, DO NOT STEAL).

I'm much happier to have her watch something like this, which is a bit deeper and emotionally mature than PJ Masks or whatever talking car show Nick Jr. is trying to sell toys of these days. She loved it and asked for more.

Carl Barks was drawing :nws:duck tits:nws: long before the internet existed or there was even a term for that kind of thing.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Das Boo posted:

There is just something so eerie about putting a duck bill on an otherwise normal human being. It's like those wartime photos of school children in gasmasks.

This is why you don't see a lot of anthropomorphic bird characters in things, beaks are really hard to draw and animate expressively without becoming a glorified Homer Simpson beard muzzle.