Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Larryb posted:

So how well does the original show still hold up? I was thinking of giving it a rewatch one of these days.

It has a timeless Disney quality throughout most of its run. But like any cartoon of the era it had to produce so many episodes that there's definitely some lower effort ones thrown in. It has several multipart episodes that are really good though so it balances out the lower quality ones.

A lot of the Disney Afternoon cartoons are similar. There's only a few stinkers in the bunch like Bonkers or Quack Pack. And the less said about Shnookums and Meat the better.

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

That said, I'm still baffled that Gummi Bears somehow ran for SIX seasons.

That six seasons is different that what you would normally consider six seasons. They only made 65 episodes of that show total. That's really only one standard season's worth of episodes for cartoons at that time. Ducktales had 100 episodes over four seasons. Darkwing Duck had 91 episodes in three seasons. TaleSpin also had 65 episodes but that was over the course of one season.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

My favorites were anything with Louie. Especially so right at the beginning when Donald asked where Dewey was and Huey said "Who's Dewey?" and then Louie just slowly turns his head and says "Who's Dewey?" incredulously.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

X_Toad posted:

It's the one I mentioned, Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!. A totally underrated and unfairly reviled show, by the way.

If I remember correctly the previous Scooby Doo was a big hit critically because it kind of skewered and had fun with the way the show had always been done so I'm not surprised the followup would be unfairly looked upon. That almost always seems to happen when people like a certain incarnation of something. I liked that version quite a bit but I never saw or honestly even heard of Be Cool Scooby Doo until this very post.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Larryb posted:

It was the one that looked like it was drawn by Seth MacFarlane. Despite being a bit goofy it didn't seem that bad from what little I saw of it.

Back on topic, my only real gripe with the premiere is that they kind of cram the majority of the main cast into the first episode while the original seemed to space things out a bit better (I believe characters like Launchpad and Mrs. Beakly/Webby weren't introduced until like the second or third episode of the first show). It still handles it well enough (in fact, I think I kind of like the reboot better overall. Not that the original isn't still a decent show).

Well to be fair the "first episode" of the original was part one of a five part story so that's why it was spaced out. And it's one of the best things the series ever did. (Also one of the big Sun Medallions from that episode was in Scrooge's garage in this episode). You can do a five part pilot when you have 65 episodes to fill. Not so much when you have 20-25. You can't spend a fourth or fifth of your season just introducing the main characters.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, I thought it was fine though. Most cartoons are faster paced now than they were then anyway.

Also in case anyone maybe saw that Easter Egg I mentioned and recognized it but didn't quite know from where he it is in the original Ducktales in the last part of the pilot.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

[quote="“Ballz”" post="“475554776”"]
Most disturbing question of all:

Why does Gyro Gearloose have human feet?
[/quote]

Asking why a chicken man has human feet is the kind of question you just have to not ask. Like why only ducks are the only people that consistently walk around pantsless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

RedApe98 posted:

That coin image brings back some fuzzy/happy childhood memories of watching the same Duck Tales vhs tape over and over again. All I can remember is those giant coins being used as mirror reflections near some incan temple and the temple itself ends up crumbling to pieces and there is lava...or something like that. Also later on they go to some frozen village and use a tuning fork to shatter or break free a bunch of frozen people or buildings, that part really stuck with me though. I know that's not really helpful or anything but I would be interested to know where that came from also.

Anyway I really enjoyed the new show and looking forward to more episodes.

All of that is the five part pilot too.