Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
lotta clowns outing themselves in this thread.

java is extremely boring, making it extremely good, in large part because everyone excited by things like node will self-select themselves out of working with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

our backend is windows

:wow:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

akadajet posted:

lol I'm not a windows guy thank god. our backend is windows though :(

the good part about knowing your bad opinions are learned instead of hereditary is that you can change them

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

having a hardon for maven is a sure sign that your organization has never told you to do anything that conflicts with Apache's arbitrary view of the universe. Woe unto you when it does.

lol. go use gradle and spend all your time defining and debugging the build

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

i work in a .net dev shop and it no poo poo takes us like a week to get a new dev up and going

ur company sucking at computers doesn't mean .net is bad. c# and asp.net are really great. msbuild sucks rear end tho. the ant/gradle people would probably love it

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

lol. go use gradle and spend all your time defining and debugging the build
so ... the things that a build processor is supposed to support. yes.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i'd love to see what insane garbage you've cooked up that you don't think can be done in maven

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the "spending all my time on build brokenness" thign is exactly the problem with maven. gradle build specs just work

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
verbosity

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
it takes a long time to write anything in java

yeah even with autocomplete

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
ways to specify the order of build actions in Maven

1. bind them to distinct phases
2. if that has a conflict, fall back to the order of the plugin blocks in the POM
3. if that has a conflict, give up on maven per se and hack an antrun script
4. if that has a conflict, go gently caress yourself

In gradle:
1. "yo gradle, do this thing before this other thing"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you shouldn't be defining build actions in maven at all. you define your project and plugin configurations and maven handles all the steps and phase binding itself.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

you shouldn't be defining build actions in maven at all. you define your project and plugin configurations and maven handles all the steps and phase binding itself.
have you ever even heard the phrase "external customer" at your workplace

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
don't listen to shagger, like the alt-right his opinions are based on misinformation and politics

he's just always wrong

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

don't listen to shagger, like the alt-right his opinions are based on misinformation and politics

he's just always wrong

I'm hitting alt right and nothing is happening? What text editor has that binding?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

akadajet posted:

I'm hitting alt right and nothing is happening? What text editor has that binding?

really? it's not pasting in the worst opinions? hmmm, let me try

shagger posted:

man do i love me some windows and hate me some json now lets code everything in java

seems to be working for me

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

is this the new terrible programmer thread?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

akadajet posted:

goes forward a page

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

jony neuemonic posted:

is this the new terrible programmer thread?

no. this thread is for discussing how applications written in java are unperformant piles of rear end

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

what. in what universe does an external customer have anything to do with your build system in a way that isn't your fault

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
never had a problem with Java software op

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"sorry mr moneybags *gestures to maven conventions engraved on stone tablets* we just can't deliver that"

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
i thought java was supposedly the superior language of choice because "everything just works" and here you are having a worse "whats the best build system that actually works" debate than any c++ programmer

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
i wish there was a hall of shame for java apps but all i got from a search was a long winded wiki page from a self proclaimed "hardcore conservative capitalist" :whitewater:

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
i'm mad as hell about programming languages

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

really? it's not pasting in the worst opinions? hmmm, let me try

seems to be working for me

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

nothing that they do should require you to create complex actions, and even in the remote possibility that you had some bizarre workflow not already handled by an existing maven plugin, you should be writing your own plugin that can be tested and maintained outside of the builds you're doing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Brain Candy posted:

what. in what universe does an external customer have anything to do with your build system in a way that isn't your fault

yeah basically this

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Zlodo posted:

i thought java was supposedly the superior language of choice because "everything just works" and here you are having a worse "whats the best build system that actually works" debate than any c++ programmer

c++ build systems are all garbage so c++ devs cant really fathom what makes maven so good.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
but MSBuild is a C++ build system ??

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah doesn't mean the build systems aren't awful. msbuild itself is very bad to deal with but you have to if you want to use c# which is the best language

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

We're here to make coffee metal. We're here to make everything metal.
yes, Java actually is good because it's boring. Correct

i like how the main apology for Maven is that "well if you write an actual useful build script and jam it into Maven sideways, it works great!"

What exactly is Maven bringing to the table? gently caress all

It's funny that people think that a DTD can somehow prevent software bugs that a compiler and automated tests can't prevent, or that writing a loving DTD is a good use of anyone's time.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
what are you even talking about, you don't have to write a dtd. you google what you need maven to do (include a dependency or build plugin, probably) and copy paste the resulting xml into your pom. then everything magically works, and in the rare case that it doesn't, your ide will tell you exactly what the problem is. the whole point is that you never have to write anything resembling a build script. what is maven bringing to the table? oh, just an entire build system... you know, so that you don't try to write your own in groovy

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

it's magic (this is a bad thing, in software)

JewKiller 3000 posted:

what are you even talking about, you don't have to write a dtd

i'm sorry, an XSD. I forgot which exact terrible XML format was at play here. Clearly this is a huge problem

not claiming that you need to write it yourself for every .pom file, i'm claiming that it doesn't provide any more safety than a build script written in a programming language that a human can actually read

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Gone Fission posted:

i'm sorry, an XSD. I forgot which exact terrible XML format was at play here. Clearly this is a huge problem

not claiming that you need to write it yourself for every .pom file, i'm claiming that it doesn't provide any more safety than a build script written in a programming language that a human can actually read

if you think there is such a thing as a .pom file then you have clearly never used maven in your life so why are you spouting your unfounded opinions itt

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
hate xml, but i just cant get enough maven https://github.com/takari/polyglot-maven

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
love any build system that makes back-to-back robo-commits in my repo during a release

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Gone Fission posted:

qta (quote to affirm)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

JewKiller 3000 posted:

if you think there is such a thing as a .pom file then you have clearly never used maven in your life so why are you spouting your unfounded opinions itt

holy poo poo what lmao

if you think that there's such a thing as a XML file, then you have clearly never used XML in your life so why are you spouting your unfounded opinions itt

Gone Fission fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 16, 2017

• Locked thread