Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Holy poo poo I want to punch whoever thought HoF was a good idea in the dick.

"break 20 enemies when there are only 10 enemies, meaning you have to deal little enough damage to break enemies multiple times or swap back and forth between enemies to meet the critera"

That's one thing, that's an annoyance

"do 9m battle score damage"

Okay, i guess boost your attack and do DF cards...oh wait these guys smack the gently caress out of you, even through wall+hells gate. What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
By the way, the Boosted Greater Summon is bugged - it's handing out dupe jobs on the 8th pull. An SE rep posted in a thread on Reddit saying they were looking into it.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

drat that sucks. Good thing I haven't pulled since lightning's greater summon ended. I just barely finished the first half of her event maps, holy poo poo everything costs so much cp.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Was able to finish the event even though I literally started playing at the start of October.

Now if only this game wouldn't CtD all the drat time.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
New banner starting tonight has the supposedly great Master Monk breaker and the nice "Meiaja" upgraded Main Target Focused cards for mages.

Next banner after that (12/2) will be getting rid of a lot of the junk cards left hanging around:
  • Almost all the support cards that give only one buff. Haste, Berserk, and Snipe are still in. (Cait Sith -> Carbuncle)
  • Two Single Target Debuffs (Curse, Debarrier) (Hecatoncheir, Glasya Labolas)
  • All the old Main Target Focused attacks (Amazon -> Gabrielle, Ysbad -> CoD)
  • All the Single Target Break Def Down/Crit Resist Down (Poseidon -> Exdeath)
  • Light/Darkshift (Choco/Mog, Kujata—other 4 -shifts are already gone)

The two debuffs are the weirdest to me.

Card Summon November Lineup Batch 2! posted:

In order to make newly added cards easier to obtain from summoning, we will be removing 42 ability cards from the summoning lineup as of 12/2 7:00 p.m. PST (UTC-8).
These cards can still be obtained through the ability shop, so don't worry!

■Cards to be Removed
Cait Sith, Fat Chocobo, Gigant, Moogle, Artemis, Hades, Hecatoncheir, Alexander, Carbuncle, Glasya Labolas, Amazon, Bismarck, Fenghuang, Iron Giant, Camelot, Siren, Pandemonium, Brothers, Phoenix, Undine, Djinn, Gabrielle, Poseidon, Gungnir, Cuchulainn, Azazel, Orcus, Cassandra, Yojimbo, Athena, Michael, Nightmare, Diabolos, Exdeath, Choco/Mog: FFVII, Kujata: FFVII, Ysbaddaden, Chaos: FFI, Melitta, Emperor: FFII, Al-mi'raj, Cloud of Darkness: FFIII

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 17, 2017

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I still use hades... What should I be using instead?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I still use hades... What should I be using instead?

For SP? For an average deck, I'd say Undying (Haste/Drain/Snipe - +30% crit rate). Knights of the Round (Faith/Boost/Brave) is the go-to offensive buff, and Hellgate is the go-to defensive one (Barrier/Regen/Wall). They're all in the ability ticket store, and Legendary Dragonlord (+2 actions, 3 if hasted, and +30% ultimate bar) will get added tonight.

Those four make up the overwhelming majority of my SP use. I actually have 3 copies of Dragonlord for when a Hall of Fame node wants me to do something dumb like "Break 9 targets with your single-target Ultimate".

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

hey girl you up posted:

For SP? For an average deck, I'd say Undying (Haste/Drain/Snipe - +30% crit rate). Knights of the Round (Faith/Boost/Brave) is the go-to offensive buff, and Hellgate is the go-to defensive one (Barrier/Regen/Wall). They're all in the ability ticket store, and Legendary Dragonlord (+2 actions, 3 if hasted, and +30% ultimate bar) will get added tonight.

Those four make up the overwhelming majority of my SP use. I actually have 3 copies of Dragonlord for when a Hall of Fame node wants me to do something dumb like "Break 9 targets with your single-target Ultimate".

I do not have Undying, and KOTOR doesn't have a haste. Hellgate does also not have a haste. I do have Sarah and Legendary Dragonlord though, but those give quicken, not haste, I thought.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I do not have Undying, and KOTOR doesn't have a haste. Hellgate does also not have a haste. I do have Sarah and Legendary Dragonlord though, but those give quicken, not haste, I thought.

I mentioned this in the discord, but for the rest of the 7 people reading this thread: Undying is in the ticket shop now. So is Legendary Dragonlord and a lot of the AoE debuffs, which will probably help with some Hall of Fame stuff. There's a lot of really good stuff in the ticket shop now.

Also, someone on reddit made a big post of what's probably coming in future banners. If it's right and you have the Snow job, you'll almost definitely want Yin & Yang from the next(?) banner. It's just like Snow's attack card, but earth: 2400 magic, ST, extra damage on break.

Miltith75
Oct 29, 2011
So this seems a good time to ask some basic questions. What are some good card set-ups? For reference I played the game at the start for a month or two then took a break and only restarted playing, on the same account, a month ago so I don't have the new player bundles.

I'm tending to default to 3 attack cards, one of each element, plus support card of Undying or Knight of the Round. The friend card is typically another buff, generally Great Gospel when I can choose it. Is that a good basic set up? It seems to have worked so far but I'm in the second part of Chapter 4 and the battles seem to be getting tougher, so I'm wondering if straight debuff cards are worth using. Also is it worth using cards outside their class type? I've got several ranger classes but no good (4*)ranger cards so would it still be worth using the tutorial warrior cards in ranger decks for their 9999+ ability?

Is a pure support deck viable or does that depend on having certain classes? I've got the four support cards mentioned above (Undying & Knights of the Round being 4*)but it seems like getting enough life orbs would be difficult.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Mobius day and I have no idea what I want to farm at work today!

Argggggh!

theorycrafting for more base/non event cards

Working on Blackmage HoF, I'm on the step where I have to do like 550,000 damage to a single enemy. Anyone got some thoughts for a black mage build with non-rainbow cards I could put together and accomplish this feat? Most I've gotten is like 330k damage with Boost, Faith, all the normal buffs I could think of and hitting a broken enemies weakness. Wondering if maybe I need to use a different weapon with 30%+ items like exploit weakness

Still trying to get my 3rd unlock on the black mage weapon though. RIP my crystals until I do this

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Langolas posted:

Mobius day and I have no idea what I want to farm at work today!

Argggggh!

theorycrafting for more base/non event cards

Working on Blackmage HoF, I'm on the step where I have to do like 550,000 damage to a single enemy. Anyone got some thoughts for a black mage build with non-rainbow cards I could put together and accomplish this feat? Most I've gotten is like 330k damage with Boost, Faith, all the normal buffs I could think of and hitting a broken enemies weakness. Wondering if maybe I need to use a different weapon with 30%+ items like exploit weakness

Still trying to get my 3rd unlock on the black mage weapon though. RIP my crystals until I do this

I haven't done black mage yet, but when I've done those in the past I've done IIRC:

Rental: Aerith
Deck 1: AoE BDD, Debarrier (FF14 Bismarck if you've got it) , Undying, Knights of the Round
Deck 2: Single Hit Attack Card, 5* Element Force, Trance, 4th card for whatever else is needed to clear or buy you time (hellgate or another AoE BDD)

A 5\* element force will give you two stacks of + element damage which I believe is just as strong as casting weakness on the target. Aerith shouldn't fall off; Trance is mostly there for Ability Ignition.

Miltith75 posted:

So this seems a good time to ask some basic questions. What are some good card set-ups? For reference I played the game at the start for a month or two then took a break and only restarted playing, on the same account, a month ago so I don't have the new player bundles.

I'm tending to default to 3 attack cards, one of each element, plus support card of Undying or Knight of the Round. The friend card is typically another buff, generally Great Gospel when I can choose it. Is that a good basic set up? It seems to have worked so far but I'm in the second part of Chapter 4 and the battles seem to be getting tougher, so I'm wondering if straight debuff cards are worth using.
The deck you're running is solid, but you'll eventually want more buff cards, which means paring down your attack card setup. My favorite (non-monk) setup right now:
  • Damage Focus Card like Centaur or FF13: Protobehemoth. Who cares that it has only a "3" in the break category. Its job is to kill broken stuff.
  • Breaking Card (of a different element) like Titan, Ixion, or Legendary Dragon. Ideally AoE and adds Break Defense Down. Must have the Guard Breaker extra skill (to hurt yellow bars of its own element).
  • Two support cards, probably one of the following in order of preference: Aerith, Undying, Knights of the Round, Hellgate, Legendary Dragonlord

The second one is the trickiest, because you'll need it to do enough damage to kill things that your first card can't, and the AoE + Debuff cards like Titan or Ixion don't unlock the 9999+ ability until they're 5\* with a level 10 ability.

The Guard Breaker passive means that the second card will still help you break anything that resists its element, but it'll be mostly useless if it's absorbed. In that case, you'll want to choose between breaking the slow way, using an ultimate to break, or nuking it down using card #1 without breaking. Usually nuking works fine.

Miltith75 posted:

Also is it worth using cards outside their class type? I've got several ranger classes but no good (4*)ranger cards so would it still be worth using the tutorial warrior cards in ranger decks for their 9999+ ability?
Almost never. Your "magic" stat only applies to cards that match your class type, so you'll be hard pressed to do over 9999 damage when using those cards. Attack cards that also buff/debuff are a notable exception. (Equip a cross-class card and hit the little "Ability" button on the equip screen if you want to see how big the difference will be.)

Most monks and some Legend jobs get access to a second class's set of cards via passives like "Ranger Lore".

Miltith75 posted:

Is a pure support deck viable or does that depend on having certain classes? I've got the four support cards mentioned above (Undying & Knights of the Round being 4*)but it seems like getting enough life orbs would be difficult.
Running 4 support cards is viable, but it'll be a slog unless you have the right combination of class + support cards.

For the element issue, you'll want the weapons from Multiplayer that give +10% HP/Elemental Third Strike/Prismatic Draw. All the MP weapons are nice, actually.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 19, 2017

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Miltith75 posted:

I'm tending to default to 3 attack cards, one of each element, plus support card of Undying or Knight of the Round. The friend card is typically another buff, generally Great Gospel when I can choose it. Is that a good basic set up? It seems to have worked so far but I'm in the second part of Chapter 4 and the battles seem to be getting tougher, so I'm wondering if straight debuff cards are worth using. Also is it worth using cards outside their class type? I've got several ranger classes but no good (4*)ranger cards so would it still be worth using the tutorial warrior cards in ranger decks for their 9999+ ability?

Full support decks really only work on multi player if you are playing a support job.

3-element+ support decks work in single player for a while, but once you get used to the game and get more familiar with things you will end up gravitating to a mono- or dual-element deck.
That said it's all situational and dependent on what jobs and cards you have.

Hopefully you were able to pull on the starter banners and get dancer/dragoon/scholar as they will get you pretty far in single player mode. Especially with the guaranteed 4*cards you get with those pulls.

Miltith75
Oct 29, 2011

Alpine Mustache posted:

Full support decks really only work on multi player if you are playing a support job.

3-element+ support decks work in single player for a while, but once you get used to the game and get more familiar with things you will end up gravitating to a mono- or dual-element deck.
That said it's all situational and dependent on what jobs and cards you have.

Hopefully you were able to pull on the starter banners and get dancer/dragoon/scholar as they will get you pretty far in single player mode. Especially with the guaranteed 4*cards you get with those pulls.

Unfortunately I restarted playing after the period the banners were available for everybody. Thanks for the help regarding deck structure. I'll probably go with a two of one element, one of the opposing and one support based deck structure then. The problem with cards is a shortage of ones that can break the damage limit. I've got a few but they are mostly pure damage without additional effects.

I do have another question, what's the best way level the abilities of Undying and KotR? Does fodder for them drop anywhere? Using tickets to level them would take a while to gather the tickets and they could probably be used for better purposes.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Tickets are the only way right now. When new cards come out, you can usually get stuff for them as multiplayer rewards and/or in their associated event. After that, you'll need tickets. Lowering Undying's cooldown so that you can be permahasted is probably the best power boost you can have right now; I'd def try to do that one first.

re: tickets, if you're upgrading an attack card, you can save a good number of tickets on levels 9 and 10 by using a Mog Amulet and following a specific plan:

• Wait for mobius day.
  • Buy a 3* version of your card (3 tickets)
  • Use tickets to boost the 3* version to Level 6 (35 tickets, 48%)
  • Buy another 5* version of your card (8 tickets, 10%)
  • Fuse those two into your card along with a mog amulet (58*1.2*1.5 = 104.4%, total 46 tickets)
Saves 45 tickets total when upgrading to levels 9/10 (which usually cost 68/69 tickets). There's a longer reddit post on ticket upgrades; you can do a similar thing to save 13 tickets on the last level of a support card.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 19, 2017

Miltith75
Oct 29, 2011
Thanks for the help. I'll definitely use that ticket trick.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Thread doesn't get much traction but I'm having a bunch of fun. Still missing a ton of jobs but I just got Santa Meia, which is the most recently released job which is nice.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Since there are a bunch of banners going on right now, which of the 3 is better: Unbroken Hero, Knight of Etro, or Santa Meia?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Knight of Etro is pretty great, but I have no idea about the other two. I'd prioritize one of the Wol legend jobs since Meia's is a non-legend, but for all I know maybe it's incredible.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Well I tried for santa Lucia and all I got was a loving grappler class on the new card roll.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Since there are a bunch of banners going on right now, which of the 3 is better: Unbroken Hero, Knight of Etro, or Santa Meia?

In case it wasn't clear, the Legend job banners aren't boosted like the greater summon one is.
If you want either of those two jobs, wait for your pity pull and you will get it guaranteed as a sixth card (like a normal job card), otherwise it's best to pull on the boosted GAS banner so you have chances to get the new cards maxed at 4*.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Just a heads up... you *can* pull legend jobs on the freebie summon.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Varance posted:

Just a heads up... you *can* pull legend jobs on the freebie summon.

That’s a fun class, too.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Can agree. Last Hunter also is pretty good. Being immune to stun while also being a breaker has also kinda made me play the game more casually. You just blend through everything and then single target ult.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
Last Hunter + Dadaluma = break all the things

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I've been playing this more often again lately. Good god it's a chore getting through all this story. I just got to Chapter 5.2 and I'm sure it also has 5 million stages. :shepface:

At least I have a good collection of jobs at this point. I snagged Hope's Guide for a good mage job and Ace Striker for warrior. Nothing as fancy for Ranger but as I hear it Rogue is a pretty good one, especially for Earth. I also got a 5* Legendary Killing Machine card at christmas and randomly got myself a Neo ExDeath card which I augmented to 5* because hey it's a Supreme card those are stupid.

If only I had a non-lovely job that could use Dark.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Anyone have any tips of killing the Phantasmal Swordsman? I'm tired of getting steamrolled.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Hello fellow players of this dumb game! A lot of cool and player-friendly stuff has been coming out!

8 Growstars for everyone. Whoa.

The Tutorial zone has been expanded and gives a bunch of great rewards now.

Bahamut Lagoon is a beast of a fight with really good rewards that can eat up your stamina in a quick few minutes and free you to do more exciting things with your life.

Ygdrassi is a new zone that lets you quickly farm fodder for all those good cards that haven't had fodder available, like Knights of the Round.

Also, make sure you're logging in every day from now 'til next Thursday; they're giving away magicite to count down to the next FF7 event. 100 yesterday, 200 today, up to 700 at the end of the month for a total of 2800. The news item says:

quote:

"The campaign will only last for 7 days. Please be advised that if you fail to login during the event period, you will not be able to receive the grand total indicated."

I'm not sure if you can still get yesterday's 100 or not, but don't miss the bigger rewards.

Azubah posted:

Anyone have any tips of killing the Phantasmal Swordsman? I'm tired of getting steamrolled.
Still having trouble? Did you clear out one of the 3 minibosses to disable one set of his elemental immunities? Beyond that, make sure you're using two jobs, preferably one that can tank (or that can speed break) and one that can nuke with an element you disabled. If you're tanking, you'll want to to use a tank that doesn't have access to your nuke element - he can use your own orbs to drive.

We generally chat/mp on the discord. It's as laid-back and slow-moving as the game itself. Feel free to pop in there if you're having trouble.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

New FF7 Event is out, featuring a Sephiroth Job skin and a job. Also good FF14/15 cards are back!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Two pulls on the reprint banner netted me Lunafreya, Master Monk and the Cloud ultimate skin!

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
Card draw probabilities are now public, and will show up when you press info.

For the current 6 ticket Boosted Greater Summon...
http://information2.mobiusfinalfantasy.com/spec/us/68316489dd2141c58b25aab4a44d34e032ba1471.html

Notes:
"New" is defined as something you don't already own.
You can only pull jobs, ultimate heroes and supreme cards once. If you own them all, you will not see any until more are added.

Per individual card:
3% chance for each featured card in the pool. That works out to a ~16% chance per greater summon that you'll see at least one of the featured ability cards.
- A new featured card from a boosted greater summon will always pull as a maxed out 4*
0.6% chance for all other cards in the pool, with all non-featured cards having the same chance of appearing
- Duplicate cards will always pull at the maximum rarity you own. If you upgraded a card to 5*, it will always show up as a 5* duplicate. (More ability tickets! :toot:)
- 5% chance that a 3* duplicate card will upgrade to 4* (Free growstars! :toot:)

Per greater summon:
8% chance that a new regular job card will replace one of the ability cards. Only one regular job can be summoned per pull
- 100% chance that a new regular job card will replace an ability card if you don't get one after 8 greater summons
- 16% chance that a new regular job card will be the featured regular job, if that summon has one
6% chance per greater summon to pull a new legend job as an additional card
2% chance per greater summon to pull a new ultimate hero skin as an additional card
1% chance per greater summon to pull a new supreme card as an additional card

Varance fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
Looks like Mobius v2.0 launches in Japan next month, with a new battle system and the "Warrior of Ruin" storyline. Two more playable characters, warrior and monk specialists along the lines of Meia and Sarah.

Spoiler: The story in Chapter 2 will revolve around Wol and Meia, plus the two new characters. Wol is the Warrior of Ruin, as his actions at the end of the current storyline plunge Palamecia into darkness. Meia returns as Wol's heretic Netflix and Chill buddy. The new male character (Graf) lives for the battlefield, seeking out powerful rivals to challenge (warrior specialist) and the new female character (Sophie) is basically FF12's Penelo with pink hair, bored with life and wants an adventure (monk specialist). Sarah and Garland are AWOL, but given that Sarah is in the new logo, she'll probably have a part to play.

Revised battle system: Each turn in battle will follow an FF10-like CTB system, where enemies will act in the middle of your actions. Breaking enemies lets you steal their actions (if their action comes up while broken, you'll be taking it instead). There will also be "Delay Buster" style moves that push back enemy actions. Once all actions are taken by both sides, the next turn begins anew like a mobius strip. Get it?

Number of battle cards will be increased to 6.

Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HptU-oQZUo0

New battle system in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udsstAtg1ko&t=2700s

Varance fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 27, 2018

• Locked thread