Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Here's an album cover I just finished, I'm proud of it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Elentor posted:

That looks dope

Reminds me of Iced Earth with the curves and angles from Iron Maiden, mixed with Hokusai. Like a frozen version of The Great Wave.

The level of detail is impressive. I just want you to know that I'm admiring it. The worst part about art is how many hours you work on something compared to how many seconds people will spend looking at it, and I just want you to know that all the crazy detail did not go unnoticed.

Thanks so much :) It's true what you said about the worst part about art, the finished work can be easily digested and forgotten by most. Also annoying is the usually low payment amount that people expect to pay for a finished piece, which sometimes amounts to something like $5/hour all told. gently caress this art poo poo, I'm gonna be a welder or electrician or something

This was for a stoner metal band (huge surprise, I know), and they wanted an icy windswept world. I do lots of covers for doom/stoner/sludge bands, and I love the genre but goddamn there are so many overused fuckin tropes on album covers (wizards/cloaked figures/astronauts/any sort of thing that Sleep or Black Sabbath already used). "Icy world" is overused itself, so to add some kinda twist to it I researched interesting ice formations a lot, like hard rime ice which occurs when fog descends onto a mountaintop and freezes instantly. Definitely brings to mind a frozen tidal wave: https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2014/12/spectacular-ice-formations-atop-a-windswept-mountain-in-slovenia/

Skulls/bones are also super overused, but I dunno, nothing can ever be totally original. I added stairs and other mysterious crap to it, looked cool so all is well.

I def did a hell of a lot of detail on this, I love doing little mazes and such. The pen and ink work on this (before adding digital color) is on a 14x28" piece of bristol, meant for a wraparound album cover for a record. One of the cool side effects of the resurgence of actual vinyl records in this and other genres is that you get to see the detail of the art much larger on the packaging. I have other work I'm more "proud" of but I wanted to share something new!

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

nut posted:

Someone on BYOB did a trip report on this thread and included this post and I followed it backwards to let you know this is extremely good and owns thank u for ur time

Thanks! I haven't really read much in BYOB for a while but I'm glad it reached some more people

Anywho, here is another album cover which I am proud of

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Drawing

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

sebmojo posted:

wow that's incredible

Thanks! I usually post only in the traditional art thread but I gots to spread it out

Parrotine posted:

Ooooo that looks like it took forever, good work
Thanks! Yeah, I'm a pretty slow illustrator so I worked on it over the course of a few months