Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
What is this thread here for?

From time to time people find themselves coming in here and asking this. Might have something to do with the smell of unwashed flesh that accompanies any discussion of pop culture today.

This thread is for a bunch of youtube movie reviewers (who use the 'youtube channel' Red Letter Media) who are okay at criticizing movies and are great at getting intoxicated. The primary reason anyone cares about them is that most of the time they have good opinions about entertainment and they don't get wrapped up in all the bullshit surrounding whatever society is freaking out about. They also don't give a poo poo if you like or subscribe to them because they are making some ungodly amount of money every month to basically sit on their asses.

Okay you made it this far cool. This picture doesn't have anything to do with RLM but I like it and it was posted in the last thread so SUCK IT.

OUR CAST OF CHARACTERS

Mike Stoklasa:

From this

To This

The guy who got internet famous. Mike made a bunch of reviews for old star trek movies (Plinkett reviews; so named for the character Mike invented to provide some character to the dry anal-sis) and nobody gave a gently caress. Then he smartened up and made some reviews about the star wars prequels that were actually pretty good. He got to explore the magical grey area that was putting a review on youtube that is 90% someone else's footage. Needless to say it caught the gently caress on. Partly because Mike doesn't have many opinions and partly because plinkett reviews were a bitch and a half to edit together* Mike decided to release new gimmicks- I mean content! So Mike got his lovely alcoholic friends together for two shows called Half in the Bag (they review whatever just came out) and Best of the Worst. The latter is about ancient obscure VHS tapes and provides the best content by a country mile.

He is dying of depression or Liver Failure and it is gonna be a hell of a race to see who wins. His hands are mysteriously turning purple all the loving time.

Jay Bauman:

This is the dude Mike tapped.

I mean tapped to help him star and edit in the hot-off-the-presses show Half in the Bag. Jay is around for a few reasons. Firstly he actually watches movies that aren't just whatever the gently caress hollywood craps onto the world's plate every year. Also he loves human misery to an unnatural extent. About midway through the beginning of Half in the Bag Jay undergoes a stunning transformation into the most fuckable person in RLM. A good deal of the people who post in these crappy threads view times when Jay sits in on Previously Recorded (a twitch channel run by RLM regulars Rich Evans and Jack Packard, or Fat one and Bald one) as the only times worth actually listening to pre-rec because its usually just Jay talking about obscure movies he has recently seen. Jay won't ever talk to you about movies again now that pre rec is canceled. Lmao.

Jack is bald but Rich is pretty drat bald as well he just wears a hat to hide it. Jay isn't bald at all.

(thanks esperterra)

-The above provided by Pierogi, somebody else painted it???

Rich Evans:

is Defeatable. He is the only person in the RLM crew who does not drink and he is built like a life-long alcoholic. His primary purpose is to get eternally dunked on by Mike and Jay during the editing process of these videos. Rich himself primarily loves thinking he knows more than other people (sometimes he even does) and playing video games. He looks like a construction worker and unsurprisingly he actually was one. He builds most of RLM's fancy set-pieces. Rich has a fiancee that is literally just him in female form but they seem to really love eachother so basically anybody on the internet can look at Rich and take inspiration that even smug atheists with no great physical looks to speak of can get laid. Twice a week on Wednesday and Sunday Rich and Jack Packard host themselves playing games and people actually pay them to read their dumb comments and 'jokes'. They quit doing this because they got bored with having money. loving mid-westerners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwd13fdczmU

Known for his laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntu-JYijTl8

Sometimes Rich Evans and Jack sit down for a properly edited discussion of a game they played and put it on youtube. The above is basically the only good thing to ever come out of that.

Jack Packard:

Was for a long time an RLM cameo character much like Garrett Gilchrist (lol if you have any idea who this is). Jack only appeared in a small interview portion of the first star-wars plinkett review (Star Wars The Phantom Menace for those keeping score at home) and then when half in the bag and best of the worst got off the ground he was really only hanging out with RLM because he had some basic editing skills and also he has no friends whatsoever (works from home) and so he would just do stuff for RLM for free. As time went on he became more well known for being incredibly desperate to be liked by everyone. This was a fact most readily apparent amongst people who actually can stand to watch 4 hours of videogametime twice a week and also liked RLM. His excessively considerate personality and clownish mannerisms lead to some uncomfortable adjusting when he started appearing on Best of the Worst panels. As time went on he got better partly because we learned several key facts to how someone like Jack could exist (spoiler: raised on a farm, went to clown college) and partly because Jack just got more comfortable with his position as 'the rlm person everyone hates'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJP8J84vzTA

He made this before he was a fully bald. He is now entirely bald.

MINOR CHARACTERS:

Len Kabasinski-

This guy acted in a bunch of terrible B movies so naturally Mike and Jay love him to death. His introduction to RLM was being on a Half in the Bag iirc. He is a super cool dude and had no problem with all of the joking that went on re: his body of work. He has also starred in a best of the worst and recently has been a guest on re-view. Weirdly enough this B-movie actor still seems to be a bit camera shy? Still he's a good egg and should be respected!

Jessi Nakles: This was a woman who would get in physical proximity of the above people and also Josh, described below. Online fans talked about her tum a lot and that bothered her so she stopped appearing in the videos. Just the fact that there is a RLM Wiki that provided me this woman's last name is creepy and says a lot about why she isn't around anymore! Potentially she and mike broke up or something?

Colin 'Tiny Canadian': Actually has a special effects job in CGI stuff. Lives in Canada. He is like a puppy you just adopted. Still cute and hasn't pissed on your rug yet. Suspected of getting mad-blazed with Stoner Canadian on canadian weed. Colin mostly does BoTW but I think he has been on Half in the Bag a few times. Colin and Jim also did a little bit of work on SpaceCop which was an RLM movie that wasn't very funny but considering it was entirely crowdfunded did have some nice effects put into it in the beginning mostly.

Jim 'Stoner Canadian': Also has a special effects job (I am p sure). Loves weed and is visibly spaced out of his loving mind on several BoTW episodes. This is usually really good because it lets him see the world with an unbelievably zen outlook for someone who just spent six hours watching a construction worker run through basic industrial machine safety tips or whatever. He is great because he literally never gave a poo poo and never will.

Sometimes Jack and Rich's wives are around. I think they played board games on previously recorded one time?

Josh 'The Wizard' Davis-

He calls himself the wizard. He is somewhat handy technically and has lots of spare time to watch bad movies and then spoil funny things before they have a chance to happen on camera at RLM's studio. Don't be a Josh. A significant amount of the Jack hate is now Josh hate which is a good break for Jack really. If you post in this thread someone is going to call you Josh because Josh can't take a joke and also he reeks of 'desperate to be liked'. Also you can almost smell him through the computer.

**Josh Update**
This took me some time to process. During a Halloween best of the worst the crew gets very drunk and Mike decides to smell Josh's beard.

We are then given canonical information that Josh actually has a well groomed beard that smells quite nice.

Honestly I think Mike may actually be in the process of a micro stroke that has been taking place since he first began making plinkett reviews and now the burnt toast smell just seems like a pleasant smell to him but I'm just a field reporter what do I know. Back to you Susan.

Max Landis-

If you see this man guard your bits fyi

Somehow people don't like this guy.
Max is the latest on the "creepy with women" Hollywood train. Time has yet to tell if Max can self promote his way out of this one.

He has a famous dad in hollywood and occasionally gets things he has written butchered by directors and producers. Not that it was probably gonna be that great to begin with to be honest. A lot of the things he has to say start with "My Dad" and he is pretty much employed now because Hollywood is an incestuous industry much like Professional Wrestling. You can buy an actual DVD in a five dollar bin at walmart that says written by Max Landis and boy howdy did I have a good laugh about that one time.

YOU KEEP MENTIONING THESE SHOWS BUT NOT EXPLAINING THEM PROPERLY

Plinkett Reviews: Fictional series of movie reviews starring a serial killer who is functionally immortal. Just go watch this if you haven't and then get back to me with a 108 page essay on why Mike Was Wrong**.

Half in the Bag: gently caress Movies. Reviews new stuff for the most part. Reviewed a tv show one time. Sometimes this has guest stars but usually it is only Mike, Jay and Rich. Rich Evans plays a character named Mr. Plinkett who is not the same Mr. Plinkett from the plinkett reviews because Mike voices that person and they live entirely different fictional lives. These usually start with a half assed skit and then end with some bare-bones attempt to advance the completely made up plot that Mike comes up with in between blackouts. If you wanna see Mike and Jay talk about how they were bored to tears by the latest marvel movie but they still tell you that you may as well go see it watch this!

Best of the Worst: Comes in gimmicks.*** Standard is they just watch three preselected tapes they thought would be bad. Sometimes they watch randomly selected tapes and watching the crew be frustrated from week to week because they couldn't balance a horizontally mounted wheel was super funny! There have been many random selectors since those early days (gotta do something with that patreon money) and now they even have a gigantic 'plinketto' board with pegs they can drop a rubber ball down. They never use this. Sometimes there is random selection amongst a theme like Rich Evan's hillarious 'Christmas or Crocodile' christmas gimmick. They both start with C! Isn't that great! Anyway this is typically the best content as mentioned somewhere above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OHcmE9oF_A

Re-View: This is a soon-to-be discarded idea. Not because it is bad but because lets be loving honest; Jay has a history. Re-View is basically what happened when someone decided that RLM talking about old movies should be its own show instead of being a part of half in the bag. You can re-view anything you want though is part of the gimmick.

Nerd Crew: Very cool. This is a video podcast about the latest and greatest in wasting your disposable income and getting overly excited about nothing. I think its one of those Satires that were all the rage back during the renaissance era.

Audio-Commentary: RLM will watch an entire movie with you and then let you pretend you are their friend by listening to them talk in a dark room while a movie you like plays. This is kind of a weakness to Re-View because if RLM thinks they have a lot to say they will just do one of these or a plinkett review. You can listen to these for free but wouldn't the illusion of friendship be more complete if you sent them some money?

Previously Recorded: DEAD This was about videogames. Hosted by Jack and Rich it was the edited version of all the opinions you can already get from them on Previously-Recorded Live on Twitch. The live channel can be useful because RLM will often tell you that something is coming out soon even if not precisely what. This may not seem like a big deal but these fuckers can be pretty drat lazy with my free content and I like to know when i'm gonna get my next poop joke.

quote:

Go support the RLM patreon if you really wanna get info about whats coming out next.
Quick-Cuts: DEAD. This was Jay's other show where he talked about movies he liked but didn't want to put a lot of effort into it.

Gamestation 2.0: DEAD. Rich Evans was locked in a room getting tortured and also talking about videogames. Somehow this one didn't take off and I think its just because they didn't hurt Rich enough in the few episodes they did shoot to really get anyone at RLM invested in it.

lovely Movies: I'm sorry but every one of those films could have easily been as good as any one of neil breen's films. Most of the good bits are up on youtube but if you really like RLM buy these I guess. I would rather you didn't though because if the movies suddenly get super profitable they will make another one and then their output is gonna drop for another three years.

The Grabowskis: DEAD. Not gonna lie this was really funny. Go watch this its on youtube.

Jay's Vlog- This is one of the few Jay Projects that never got canceled. It has admittedly been a while since he had an update. He talks about his editing techniques; political opinions and he will go in-depth on the occasional RLM studio drama and spats. Definitely give these a look!

Official list of gimmicks that show RLM has given the gently caress up

-Christmas or Crocodile

-Merry 'Kick'mas

-Christmas or Cats

Just some stuff

-rocket surgeon provided us with the above from who cares where.

Brought to our fair shores by Zzulu!

Hell Yeah posted:

luke only drinks the good stuff straight from the titty monster

Schweinhund posted:

Add this to the op

What can I say I'm a man of the people

quote:

Its funny......... It's funny right now but if the president of the united states is ever in las vegas I'm just saying hashtag EyesOnBreen. This is a manifesto.

Jack Package

Provided by Harveygod, :eyepop: Paladinus worked on it too!

*Going down the rabbit hole and actually WATCHING pre rec gives you insightful RLM trivia such is the knowledge that Mike refuses to try new video editors even though he is working with some 2004 era poo poo. Jack Packard (The one with the gigantic dick in the picture just above) uses whatever is newest and is the primary person attempting to evangelize new editors to Jay and Mike.

**This happened and the guy who wrote it also would constantly scream "THE FONT I USED WAS BIG AND I INCLUDED PICTURES* Never forget.

***Some members of the RLM fan community feel strongly that this form of label is improper. They primarily dispute that Best of the Worst and Best of the Worst: Wheel of the Worst are the same show because they do different things on the show. Please decide as best for yourself how to categorize RLM's various programs and shows as this opening post is merely meant to be a guideline; not a definitive work.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
great op, op i learned a lot and ty its very infdormative :)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oh thank god, I thought you killed the old thread for no reason.

I support this new thread wholeheartedly.

AIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDSSSSSS

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

you god drat nerds should be ashamed of yourselves. you're the exact people rlm is making fun of in nerd crew.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

hahaha hack

*stifles laughter*

f-f-frauds

*farts*

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
:gas:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Hello first time hearing about this crew. Anyone recommend any starter videos?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Over There posted:

Hello first time hearing about this crew. Anyone recommend any starter videos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rfup0XKx7o

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
lmao that Josh has been demoted toa minor character

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I love rich evans

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Imo Josh should be killed off irl!!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

i hate it when threads reboot so i'm voting this one 3 to keep things familiar

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Replace Kramer with Rich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAPbZDit5_w

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i like the old thread. this is a stink thread. of poo

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

this was funny thank you.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Here is another good first watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCkl-Vgc4-I

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
gently caress moopies

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
this is all you need to know about RLM if you haven't watched them before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7S1JAnWDi8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGjfO7iML5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOO9_C6RyEs

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Do they live in Wisconsin, Michigan? Is the town of Wisconsin even all that big?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Hello.
Please add Max Landis to OP.
Thanks.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I saw the new Ghostbusters review & it was okay. Are the Star Wars prequels better?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

vermin posted:

Do they live in Wisconsin, Michigan? Is the town of Wisconsin even all that big?

Actually they live in Milwaukee Wisconsin. Go pay them a visit just look around the cheap warehouse part of town. You can triangulate them from landmarks seen during the bit on best of the worst video destruction bits and then get famous for putting up a livestream of them coming and going.

Edit- The star wars prequel reviews are way better. I felt like Revenge of the Sith was a bit light but the bar had been set really high by that point.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

gently caress movies

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i just watched a youtube starring jenny nicholson and...max landis!!!!!!!!!!

theyre bf/gf irl the chemistry was palpable

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Nice post OP but you forgot this essential graphic guide

Christ look at the middle one there

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

Nice post OP but you forgot this essential graphic guide

I didn't forget! I knew exactly what I was doing when I wrote that entire Jay summary without using the term Ex- Hobbit.

Also Landis and Len Kabasinski are added to the OP.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

reignofevil posted:

Also he loves human misery to an unnatural extent.

Confirmed

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

gently caress movies

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

:laffo:

This is gold.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Someone post the pic of Mike and Rich Evans cuddling.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Yeah, all the head shots up there could have dramatic Before and Afters.

Edit:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Comedically I had to make sure a new audience member sees pretty Jay first so that the 'he is a closet homosexual' joke hits home.

Wang Flotilla
Oct 13, 2007

God damn these electric sex pants

reignofevil posted:

a lot of words about read letters media

didn't see Nerd Crew listed anywhere, are we not counting those because it was basically one joke that got stretched out into 4(?) videos?

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Wang Flotilla posted:

didn't see Nerd Crew listed anywhere, are we not counting those because it was basically one joke that got stretched out into 4(?) videos?

Actually we didn't count them because they don't have a sub-header on the RLM website when I checked to see if I was forgetting any of their bajillion of shows.

Fixing now!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Good intro Best of the Worst video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsnzlIests4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eawYBbP6zfs

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the sad music gets me every time

in the feels

Wang Flotilla
Oct 13, 2007

God damn these electric sex pants

reignofevil posted:

Actually we didn't count them because they don't have a sub-header on the RLM website when I checked to see if I was forgetting any of their bajillion of shows.

Fixing now!

thanks op, very cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jack is much worse than Josh