Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The old guard continue to step aside, Gorilla's retiring.
https://twitter.com/lolGorillA/status/1336339794402529280

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

gorilla believed in support lux when no one else did. i'll miss you, bud

this year's been a total bloodbath of old talent, honestly. i think we've only got one more year of faker, too, right?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Speaking of old guard moving on, Cabochard isn't retiring (that he's said yet) but he's left Vitality after 5 years to be replaced by AGO Rogue's former top Szygenda. Rogue really getting a rep for raising some stars, that's 4 of their summer academy roster who've now got spots on LEC teams for 2021.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Flame has retired as well.

https://n.news.naver.com/sports/esports/article/236/0000208783

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

one of the rare lucky pros that was playing early enough while league's specific language was still forming. he might be gone, but "flame horizon" as a term is gonna last a decade+ beyond him

a part of me wonders if retirements like this are kind of a cascade. seeing old guard guys like dopa and bjerg exiting the scene at least has to give you pause to contemplate your own future

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Kuro also retired the day after Gorilla. Not quite a legend status player but still a great solid player and on his time in Afreeca he showed he can solo carry as well.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Clearlove is back.

https://twitter.com/edg_edward/status/1338438586757074945?s=21

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Gonna be interesting, he was never a mechanics player so I don't think he will miss that but the game is a lot faster paced than he use to play and in his last season he didn't look as dominant anymore.

Also LCS format has changed a lot. There is some sort of mini tournament in January, then regular spring split > msi > regular summer split but the playoffs for summer is completely different and it looks at your whole year's record for seeding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN1i5vaC40E

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So the Lock In is the rumoured pre-season tournament aimed at giving teams some time to figure out any kinks before the season starts proper. Then a 6-week Spring Split with them moving to 15 games a week, with the again rumoured MSI qualifying tournament replacing the spring playoffs. That tournament looks like it's using the same horrible format as the LEC playoffs so apparently at least one person likes it. Then summer split carries on from where spring ended, with W/L records maintained but with a triple round robin now over the usual 9 weeks, then the actual season playoffs with the again horrible 8-team playoffs bracket.

I like the preseason tournament, having a low stakes place for rookies to get settled and to get some early idea on how teams look sounds fun, and effectively ending the split system is another good idea. Now if only we could get a decent playoff format, like if you're going to do an 8-team playoffs at least use the double gauntlet system the LPL uses which tends to be fun as hell.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

njsykora posted:

I like the preseason tournament, having a low stakes place for rookies to get settled and to get some early idea on how teams look sounds fun, and effectively ending the split system is another good idea. Now if only we could get a decent playoff format, like if you're going to do an 8-team playoffs at least use the double gauntlet system the LPL uses which tends to be fun as hell.

Ya I think it will be a great edition to the league. We really don't have enough tournament/knockout formats in league. It would be sick if we had this in all the regions( I know China already has Demacia Cup, Korea had KEspa Cup). But would be great to have this in LEC as well. Even though it's just a domestic tournament, it's still going to be more enjoyable to watch bunch of bo3s than useless bo1 spring split.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The endless cvMax vs Griffin situation continues, now cvMax has been suspended until May 21st. DRX seem understandably pissed about this being decided after they announced their 2021 staff roster since they're now without a head coach less than a month out from the start of the season.
https://twitter.com/DRXGlobal/status/1338421835751325697

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

are lec and/or lcs bo3 now? that would be so good

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CODChimera posted:

are lec and/or lcs bo3 now? that would be so good

No, LCS is now a quintuple Bo1 round robin because the last time they tried Bo3 a bunch of idiots hated it due to the dual stream format they used and wouldn't have to use this time and because not every team was playing every day so if you were an Envy fan (they probably existed) you might only get to see them play once over the whole weekend. Nothing about LEC yet but I'd expect them to go to the same whole year season format with probably a quad round robin, though I would like to see them try the single round robin Bo3 format the LPL uses.

E: The hidden best league of all, NLC is back January 19th, seemingly with no format changes. Gonna be really fun to see if Fnatic still dominate after their roster got pillaged in the offseason.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 15, 2020

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

njsykora posted:

E: The hidden best league of all, NLC is back January 19th, seemingly with no format changes. Gonna be really fun to see if Fnatic still dominate after their roster got pillaged in the offseason.

Speaking of the NLC, Phelan/Munster Rugby got booted out of the league because Phelan paid their players way too late.

https://esports-news.co.uk/2020/12/15/munster-rugby-gaming-late-payments-nlc/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Wow, it takes some serious effort to be that scummy and also seemingly piss off the entire UK scene. Also trying to keep secret that it was Phelan actually in charge of operations because no-one trusts them.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

njsykora posted:

No, LCS is now a quintuple Bo1 round robin because the last time they tried Bo3 a bunch of idiots hated it due to the dual stream format they used and wouldn't have to use this time and because not every team was playing every day so if you were an Envy fan (they probably existed) you might only get to see them play once over the whole weekend. Nothing about LEC yet but I'd expect them to go to the same whole year season format with probably a quad round robin, though I would like to see them try the single round robin Bo3 format the LPL uses.

drat it.

The LCK and LPL is infinitely more watchable and interesting due to bo3. I just don't understand why anyone prefers the 5 bo1s considering like half of those will be boring matchups

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

CODChimera posted:

drat it.

The LCK and LPL is infinitely more watchable and interesting due to bo3. I just don't understand why anyone prefers the 5 bo1s considering like half of those will be boring matchups

Allegedly bo1 is much better for viewership in the west. That's what rito keeps telling us.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Erdricks posted:

Allegedly bo1 is much better for viewership in the west. That's what rito keeps telling us.

I think it’s a function of people not watching if an interesting team is playing that day. Let’s say you had eg/100t & immortals/dignitas scheduled for 2 bo3 in a day I would be the viewership would be way lower than spreading out the c9/tl/tsm games :capitalism:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

More NLC fun as Ence have realised they’re poo poo and quit, so now both the beaten teams from Telia Masters have gotten into the NLC anyway.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
FPX Nuguri. That should be exciting.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

https://lolesports.com/live/all-star/riotgames

woah All Stars event on now?!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

All weekend.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
This game LCK vs OPL, has Faker playing bot rengar with support ivern. 5 kills to LCK in the first 4 minutes 8-2 at 6:20. I'm extremely down.

e: 17-2 pre 10minutes.

e2: around 12:30 minutes LCK hands over ~3000 gold from shut downs. This game owns.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 18, 2020

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

This is hilarious and unfair.

I've been looking forward to this weekend for so long.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

This game LCK vs OPL, has Faker playing bot rengar with support ivern. 5 kills to LCK in the first 4 minutes 8-2 at 6:20. I'm extremely down.

e: 17-2 pre 10minutes.

e2: around 12:30 minutes LCK hands over ~3000 gold from shut downs. This game owns.

the 2 games so far have been incredible. everyone is playing whatever

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

this was like 20-2 at one point and now it's 41-34

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

42-40

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

The way Babip's disappearing fools, this is gonna be an OPL win easy

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
YEAH THE BOYS

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I loving love All Star for enabling poo poo like Rengar/Ivern bot.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I still want old-school OGN All-Stars format. 9 players playing a joke match and both teams banning out Flame who was still try-harding is one of my favorite memories of League.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Alistar vs Kalista solo top lane

Okay

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

Alistar vs Kalista solo top lane

Okay

every game has been like that, its awesome

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

LEC stage of All Star starting now with LEC vs TCL, Bwipo absolutely pissing himself over TCL banning Annie. Also very quick Udyr and Rell bans.

E: 39 kills at 17 minutes gently caress yeah All Star.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 18, 2020

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
50 kills and a single drake at 20 min lmao

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

This game is basically can a full strength team kill a Riven with a Goredrinker and Hydra (the answer is no).

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
what is this horseshit why does this game only have a single kill per minute

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Savage Cracker posted:

FPX Nuguri. That should be exciting.

my favorite two players on the same team seems like an extremely unlikely outcome and we ended up here.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

LCK vs LPL match is on now with the players picking their champs from 3 chosen by a fan vote. Faker has a choice of Zed and Leblanc and chose Nunu confirming his GOAT status.

He is currently 3/0/2 at 8 minutes.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

njsykora posted:

LCK vs LPL match is on now with the players picking their champs from 3 chosen by a fan vote. Faker has a choice of Zed and Leblanc and chose Nunu confirming his GOAT status.

He is currently 3/0/2 at 8 minutes.

Nunu was the right choice lol. Also his Yone is looking pretty good

Actually a lot of the players are looking better in the 'for fun' environment, they are way more willing to do crazy stuff