Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo that was a loving base race

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
what

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
umm

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Zero reason to take that base race. I can only assume 100T were bored and wanted to go home, or something.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
Really a base race? I can see why FlyQuest was willing to risk it, but 100 Thieves shouldn't have opted in to one.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

100T's brains just stopped functioning.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

what the gently caress

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Give me that funnel kled lmfao stupid meta

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

henkman posted:

Give me that funnel kled lmfao stupid meta

i think the meta owns but funnel kled feels more like something you run in norms with your friends instead of a legitimate LCS strategy

then again we did just witness a team that was at one point 8k ahead losing a base race with 3 mountains so: sure, just run whatever the gently caress you want, it doesn't matter if it's in NA

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Two horrendous drafts for CLG, two losses for CLG :thunk:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Killed By Death posted:

Two horrendous drafts for CLG, two losses for CLG :thunk:

i played a single game of ranked with zikz last season and suggested he try out support lux sometime on stage

all i'm saying, zikz, is that you may as well go for broke at this point

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Meteos' run train strategy :allears:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

lira, aka blank's brother

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I couldn't watch the end of the Fly vs. 100 Thieves game and 100 Thieves lost? What the hell? I gotta see this.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

I couldn't watch the end of the Fly vs. 100 Thieves game and 100 Thieves lost? What the hell? I gotta see this.

I clipped the important 30 seconds here.
https://clips.twitch.tv/AffluentBovineWalletFUNgineer

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Tsm are definitely on the spectrum

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

"I'm really loving good."
- Mithy, a player best known during his NA career for some of the worst Tahm Kench ults in professional League history.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Hmm...I think I get what happened with 100 Thieves. Once Aphromoo died, there was no point in Ryu coming back so they went for the all in. If Cody had TP'd about 3 seconds earlier they would have won that base race.

Even before that though, I'm thinking 100 Thieves was getting nervous about the idea of fighting FlyQuest 5v5. Despite getting dunked most of the game, Turtle and Keane had 3+ items.

People should just ban JayJ's Braum.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 23, 2018

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Vermain posted:

lira, aka blank's brother
"Man, Clutch would be so good if they had a real jungler" - words I never would have thought I'd be saying last year

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
You are as good as the region you play in.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Do you think TSM regrets letting go Santorin now and WildTurtle now

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

njsykora posted:

"I'm really loving good."
- Mithy, a player best known during his NA career for some of the worst Tahm Kench ults in professional League history.
tsmsupport.exe

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

RealFoxy posted:

I think TSM regrets the ruling that allowed coaches on stage, because they still don't know what coaches are.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Who do you guys think are the mvp candidates so far?
I would say Ssumday and Dardoch in NA. Mickey and PoE might be candidates if their teams keep winning.
EU it would be Caps, Alphari or Perkz. KR I would say Kiin, Chovy, Sword, Ucal. I normally watch LPL highlights but hadn't had much time during the summer.

Also, liking NA LCS more than last split thus far. GGS, Optic and Flyquest have been surprisingly good this split.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RealFoxy posted:

I'm sure they regret a lot of things, but it's looking more and more like roster swaps don't mean poo poo and their problems are entirely systemic. They've jettisoned everyone except Bjerg and Hauntzer and the team not only looks bad but still has this dogshit passive playstyle that they've had for nearly every single season. Either Bjerg is the problem or Reginald is insisting on this strategy over the advice of his coaches; I can't think of any other scenario where you've ripped out 3/5ths of your roster, including your coaching staff, and you still have the exact same problem that you've always had.

Ulio posted:

Who do you guys think are the mvp candidates so far?
I would say Ssumday and Dardoch in NA. Mickey and PoE might be candidates if their teams keep winning.
EU it would be Caps, Alphari or Perkz. KR I would say Kiin, Chovy, Sword, Ucal. I normally watch LPL highlights but hadn't had much time during the summer.

Largely agree on your MVP candidates. Ssumday and Dardoch have both been doing incredibly well. If GGS make it to playoffs (or even to Worlds), I'd change my vote to Mickey because of how insane the team's turnaround has been with him (as well as him showcasing what's probably the best professional Talon in the league currently). Caps probably has it in the bag because of how good he's been making a Rekkles-less Fnatic look. I'm gonna be biased on my LCK pick and vote for Lehends. He makes Shen looks like a god pick and has an insane level of intuition when it comes to correct plays. His one game on support Shen versus a funnel comp (can't remember which team) where he went behind the outer turrets after a gank and just started proxying to try and delay the first turret take was genius.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 23, 2018

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vermain posted:

Largely agree on your MVP candidates. Ssumday and Dardoch have both been doing incredibly well. If GGS make it to playoffs (or even to Worlds), I'd change my vote to Mickey because of how insane the team's turnaround has been with him (as well as him showcasing what's probably the best professional Talon in the league currently). Caps probably has it in the bag because of how good he's been making a Rekkles-less Fnatic look. I'm gonna be biased on my LCK pick and vote for Lehends. He makes Shen looks like a god pick and has an insane level of intuition when it comes to correct plays. His one game on support Shen versus a funnel comp (can't remember which team) where he went behind the outer turrets after a gank and just started proxying to try and delay the first turret take was genius.

Ya totally agree with your points. I also forgot Lehends but you could pretty much put up any Griffin member. Viper has also been a monster on non ADCs and Tarzan has been great as well. Fly from GenG and Aiming from Afreeca could also pop off even more so those could be candidates.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Vermain posted:

I'm sure they regret a lot of things, but it's looking more and more like roster swaps don't mean poo poo and their problems are entirely systemic. They've jettisoned everyone except Bjerg and Hauntzer and the team not only looks bad but still has this dogshit passive playstyle that they've had for nearly every single season. Either Bjerg is the problem or Reginald is insisting on this strategy over the advice of his coaches; I can't think of any other scenario where you've ripped out 3/5ths of your roster, including your coaching staff, and you still have the exact same problem that you've always had.

ive been mostly keeping this to myself because i think people will assume i am trying to stir up poo poo but honestly as time goes on the player bjerg reminds me more and more of is pobelter, who people will say plays the kuzan style which "won't lose you the game" but does in fact lose you the game, although your stats wont look appreciably bad.

bjerg just plays so passive that while he's never directly to blame for losing he's not ever actually doing anything to win games either, and i don't know if he felt like he had to play super safe and just over corrected into this or where precisely it went wrong but i think he's absolutely a problem. he's also definitely their best player which makes it worse than with kuzan or pobelter actually, since you kind of count on bjerg carrying or at least having that gravitational force where he requires answering. it feels like this started when he was having a bit of trouble learning supportive mids like lulu, but i haven't paid super close attention to TSM for awhile.

i dont know what they need to do but they're never going to be good again until bjerg starts playing like he wants to carry.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I've said it already this season, but Bjergsen needs to get shipped back to EU in a crate and re-learn how to play. He was the first one in that new generation of EU mids when he was on Copenhagen Wolves that were hyper aggressive and just flooring people, and he did that for one or two splits in NA before he just became another NA mid. He might floor some NA talent every once in a while, but on the international stage he plays like he's so afraid to gently caress up that he refuses to take any risks anymore. That's TSM's biggest problem, is they've got a team full of people who used to be playmakers being beaten down to be the safest, lowest risk taking team in NA.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

ive been mostly keeping this to myself because i think people will assume i am trying to stir up poo poo but honestly as time goes on the player bjerg reminds me more and more of is pobelter, who people will say plays the kuzan style which "won't lose you the game" but does in fact lose you the game, although your stats wont look appreciably bad.

I've come to similar conclusions. Bjerg's always played in the style of someone like Dopa, where your entire goal is to slowly accrue a number of small, low risk advantages that can then be leveraged into a big advantage in midgame when you capitalize on someone's mistake. This works great in solo queue (because you're going to run into people making clumsy, uncoordinated plays constantly) and up to a point in competitive, but once teams get competent enough to not consistently commit moronic midgame mistakes, your entire strategy falls to pieces and becomes actively detrimental. This is especially the case in a meta like the one we have now, where there's massive importance on the early game. If your whole strategy is to just sit and farm until midgame, your team has to play near-perfectly for a good 20 minutes, something that's unrealistic to expect.

I'm also convinced - now more than ever - that he's actively warping his team's shotcalling in a significant way. I think having a "big" player like Bjerg on your team begins to unconsciously change how the rest of the team approaches the game: they want to try and play around him and cater to him, but that means playing in a very lukewarm style and not putting significant demands on his play. You actually saw something like this with the Pirean swap in SKT's latest game. Yes, they still didn't look great, but SKT looked leaps and bounds better than the majority of the games they've been playing up until that point. Blank looked like an actual loving jungler, for once! If you play with a dude like Faker, you're probably going to have the mentality of wanting to cater to him and give him all the support he needs to carry, but that also blunts your own decisionmaking and makes you hesitant to make demands of him. Every time Faker uses Galio R, it feels like he's the one saying, "I'm going to R in on you," whereas every time Pirean used Galio R, it felt like someone else was telling him, "R in now!" It's a subtle but significant difference, I feel.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
game 2 of edg vs blg is :psyduck:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

That felt like NA Fly there, surely he saw them all coming?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Griffin and KT won today. Kinda expected closer games in both matches instead of 2-0s.

Vermain posted:

I've come to similar conclusions. Bjerg's always played in the style of someone like Dopa, where your entire goal is to slowly accrue a number of small, low risk advantages that can then be leveraged into a big advantage in midgame when you capitalize on someone's mistake. This works great in solo queue (because you're going to run into people making clumsy, uncoordinated plays constantly) and up to a point in competitive, but once teams get competent enough to not consistently commit moronic midgame mistakes, your entire strategy falls to pieces and becomes actively detrimental. This is especially the case in a meta like the one we have now, where there's massive importance on the early game. If your whole strategy is to just sit and farm until midgame, your team has to play near-perfectly for a good 20 minutes, something that's unrealistic to expect.

I agree with you that is Bjerg's playstyle now but like RealFoxy pointed out he wasn't always like this. He definitely looked like Faker of NA(S4). He use to play a lot more risky picks. These days he loves his safe blindpick champs like Ryze, Ori, Syndra. Back in the day he was known to always get last pick for CW/TSM S4. He would pick LB, Zed regardless of how strong they were in the meta. Heck he had a nasty Yasuo in summer s4 but he has barely played it even though all the best mids have been spamming it this year. I am sure Zven's inability to play AP champs has something to do with that but they can easily put Hauntzer on Rumble/Vlad. He had a great Talon game last week but imo Zven was doing work that game on Swain basically creating all the space for Talon. Where is the Yasuo? Where is the Kai'sa funnel? If he is the best midlaner he would play those champs like Caps, Perkz, Faker, Ucal do. He looked great when they let him last pick Darius into Irelia this split. His Irelia was also great. It just seems he doesn't like taking risk in game or in champ select.

I remember watching a stream of Bjergsen after Worlds s6 basically him praising Dopa's playstyle over Faker's and he said he watches all of Dopas vods. There definitely was a shift in his mentality. He was one of the best playmakers in S4 and even somewhat s5. But after that he started playing like a robot, trying to play perfect which doesn't work. His champion pool and played style changed after that.

Vermain posted:

I'm also convinced - now more than ever - that he's actively warping his team's shotcalling in a significant way. I think having a "big" player like Bjerg on your team begins to unconsciously change how the rest of the team approaches the game: they want to try and play around him and cater to him, but that means playing in a very lukewarm style and not putting significant demands on his play. You actually saw something like this with the Pirean swap in SKT's latest game. Yes, they still didn't look great, but SKT looked leaps and bounds better than the majority of the games they've been playing up until that point. Blank looked like an actual loving jungler, for once! If you play with a dude like Faker, you're probably going to have the mentality of wanting to cater to him and give him all the support he needs to carry, but that also blunts your own decisionmaking and makes you hesitant to make demands of him. Every time Faker uses Galio R, it feels like he's the one saying, "I'm going to R in on you," whereas every time Pirean used Galio R, it felt like someone else was telling him, "R in now!" It's a subtle but significant difference, I feel.

This is definitely true. All of Bjergsen's team have been passive except the season 6 Doublelift roster. I feel like they could have really done some damage at that worlds if they didn't get stuck with RNG, Samsung. DL seemed to have a problem with international competition until this MSI. The s7 DL roster just felt like the s6 roster but weaker and slower. Also you have to question what they banned at s6 worlds when Crown was known as the Viktor god.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

fenix got released by echo fox today, there are some rumors they'll be signing froggen. i think damonte is pretty decent and they should stick with him, personally, but its not like froggen is totally washed i dont think.

its roster lock day though so unless fenix can find a team in less than a day he cant play until spring split, so thats kind of lovely. he wasnt on C9 at any point tho so people aren't concerned about this vile and horrific treatment from the teams :v:

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Yeah that's probably a reasonable guess

https://twitter.com/FroggenLoL/status/1021342183004262400

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ulio posted:

Griffin and KT won today. Kinda expected closer games in both matches instead of 2-0s.

The top 5 is unbelievably close this split. It's insane. At the most, I can say that Gen.G and Griffin look like the top two contenders at the moment, but who the gently caress knows anymore.

Regarding trades: rumor is that Smoothie is heading off to FOX, too. Wonder what other weird swaps we're gonna get today. I think it's the last day for roster lockins, right?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i cant believe riot games made monte cristo sell his overwatch team because they hate both overwatch and monte cristo, and yet they allow an lck team named after genji? seems hosed up, idk man.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Huni/Dardoch/Froggen/Altec/Smoothie

Maybe Huni/Dardoch/Froggen/Damonte/Smoothie

Good improvement imo

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Asema posted:

Huni/Dardoch/Froggen/Altec/Smoothie

Maybe Huni/Dardoch/Froggen/Damonte/Smoothie

Good improvement imo

well the first lineup isnt happening because they're releasing Altec too i guess!

edit: apparently they're replacing him with their academy ADC, Lost, who is an import. so i guess the second lineup isn't happening either unless they're gonna get another ADC from somewhere, rip Echofox Froggen

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Altec is a player that I always feel could regain some of his old magic if he had the right support (I especially believe in comebacks after seeing WildTurtle's resurgence with JayJ). They must have a lot of faith in Lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpDDw6hbNjU

Alright, I like Flame now.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 24, 2018