Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I hope c9 makes it to worlds still out of the gauntlet so the first time they win a game there and get praise we can get a long string of angry posts about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
There's probably half a dozen players at most who have played as many or more games in NALCS as Bjerg, include things like playoffs and representing an NA team internationally and it's probably just Darshan, Sneaky, and maybe Aphro and Doublelift who've played more.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Glad to see C9 once again overcome the gauntlet and earn their way to worlds again.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Firebert posted:

They can make it out of A if EDG fails to show up yet again

So 50/50.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
FNC got as good of a group they could hope for as a 3rd pool. TSM should be able to advance if they don't gently caress up too badly. Rest of LCS region teams probably hosed.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Not somewhere I can watch right now, did c9-edg happen yet?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
IMT just never recovered from being struck down by the Urgod.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

fnatic, while making it out, looked like garbage and got super lucky that they were with two other teams who managed to look just as bad and got to play all of the rest of the games in one night.

theres basically no way this outcome happens if they didnt have these teams play back to backs over the course of a few hours

I really don't see why they stick to this group per day format instead of doing it like week 1.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Speaks to the lack of quality of play outside of like the very top teams that a team can look as bad as fnc did while making it to top 8 in the world championship tournament.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I thought NB was still pulling high viewer numbers?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Monathin posted:

Oh he is, but his rise to fame was in making like, actual educational jungle strats and helping people actually learn how pathing and poo poo works. Now he's a memelord streaming for them ~~~~~sick views~~~~~ and making highlight videos that are 90% clickbait. If you watch a bunch of his old-rear end poo poo it's kind of weird how different it is from how he does poo poo now.

I loved his educational stuff. Too bad being a memelord is probably more viewerbp donations for less effort.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Ulio posted:

Also should note their coach is suppose to be Krepo.

Well someone has to teach the young jungler the deep intricacies of taking krugs properly.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
EU should try not being a poo poo region that people want to leave.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Sven might improve some outside TSM but he's definitely not worth spending an import slot on.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
What's the best site to check now for match schedules for the splits, or stats/vods of past matches?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

njsykora posted:

The comfort as an EU fan is that in an international NA is almost always worse.

Yeah but it's like, comparing a pile of garbage vs a pile of garbage that someone pissed on.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Frustrated posted:

Not that Liquid was gonna qualify for top 4, but that Fnatic win just about seals a TL 5/6 finish right?

Only real hope TL has is to win out and probably hope evos steals a game off of rng or evos.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
TL has a good shot to at least get a tiebreaker match now if evos can scrape out another win tomorrow.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Rng gets greedy and goes for the dumbest fight to try finishing faster and lets what should have been a sure win even up.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah KZ had side selection on even games, I remember the desk being kind of stunned that KZ didn't take blue in game 4 to first pick away an ADC from Uzi.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Wish they were just doing all the matches today. Overslept and woke up 25 minutes into this third EDG-DFM game.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I've only watched like 3 games all season but here's my blind faith in NA pulling a couple upset picks except in group D because Fnatic doing great until they have to play a korean team is inevitable.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

RealFoxy posted:

You absolute mad lad.

Never would have guessed the part I'd get wrong in that group would be putting GenG too high. TL will probably still let me down though.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Invalid Validation posted:

You couldn’t really even call the first couple seasons worlds anyways so that’s basically the beginning.

Yeah season 1 had like, 8 teams and Fnatic were iirc the only long standing organization that actually had money and sponsors and poo poo established.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
If TL can step up and get in over edg, bracket stage might just be 2 each from each non-tw major region. 3 cn 2 kr 2 EU 1 NA is looking the most likely though

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
If KT beat EDG I don't think TL still wins this.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Finals is RNG 3-2 C9.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Upsets will continue. c9 over edg in semis to face g2 in finals

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

henkman posted:

The chinese fans should just be happy their teams got as far as they did

They still have two teams in it, one that's already at semis. IG could very well win it all now.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Jayisspecial posted:

What a great Worlds. After last night only 6 players on the LoL top 20 list remain

Rookie (2)
Kiin (4)
Scout (18)
Kuro (16)
The Shy (14)
Caps (9)

Not that this list mattered in any way, but they were so proud of themselves for making an “enduring” list that would survive the tournament.

So a hypothetical c9-g2 finals would have 0 members of the list.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Ok I haven't paid attention to league in awhile but what the gently caress are these botlanes?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
C9 just badly banging their head against this Garen.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Finally hourglass on Sneaky at least, seems way overdue.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Ulio posted:

I wouldn't count c9 out yet. LMS has shown they are decent this year so looking shaky vs them shouldn't make c9 terrible. C9's playstyle just makes it possible for them to beat anyone but Griffin should still be favs.

c9 has always been like that wildcard that could just as easily totally collapse or overachieve by a full series

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I know a lot of teams seem to be trying the whole AP botlane thing, but if you're gonna run the marksman too anyway why not just have the cass mid trist bot and play more standard? C9 also really loving eager to push fights despite a comp that seemed more late-game oriented.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Maguoob posted:

Mages in bot are looking like a trap pick.

From what little I've seen if feel like that if you take a mage or non-marksman bot it needs to be one that can bully the adc and really win the early game matchup. Putting a late-game scaling mage like Cass in a spot where she gets less gold than she would mid seems like a real bad move.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Having played most of his career midlane also makes Perkz a lot more suited to those characters than a career botlaner doing it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
One of these two teams will still make it out of groups while a group D team leaves early lmao.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Jerkface posted:

The EU servers combined have 3x many players as NA. Thats disingenuous to say that those regions have produced talent, they are playing with other EU countries. Part of the issue is that the ranked ladder in NA is specifically NOT good at developing talent.

If NA had an actually competitive ranked ladder with 3 million players across Canada & Mexico/Latin America they could probably drum up more talent. The NA challenger ladder is pathetic like a 1/3rd of the accounts are alts and 1/3rd are weird lovely one trick top laners or junglers.

Edit: And if you think about the different other ladders, EU has more challenger tryhards, Korea's high ELO meta is most similar to proplay, and chinese super server is like constant mechanical practice against top 5 champion masters every match with constant teamfighting. NA by contrast is stream snipers, pro players not giving a poo poo, and ppl that don't know how to play the game.

The other servers all have more things which help sharpen applicable skills. The most you can say for NA is that you can practice your own individual mechanics, but you're learning jackshit about antyhing that will help you in international competition.

Yeah I don't see how any of it's a solvable issue without some sort of push to really a new resurgence in players in what's a relatively old game now.

I don't think ping issues are really fixable either beyond the US itself installing better internet infrastructure with how spread out it is. Chicago is about as centralized as you can essentially get and doing an USW/E split would make the servers way too small at the high end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
TL should just root for SN to win here to save them the disgrace of horribly throwing a tiebreaker game like they are destined to do if it comes down to that.