Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

the only european team to ever have the talent level to compete in north america was recently eliminated and then disbanded last weekend, so i dont know why you would pretend this was true

What team are you even talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Shadow225 posted:

I'm still sad about Phoenix 1. I'd love to know why they fell apart so hard,

What was even the point of the promotion tournament if NA is franchising next year?

Last chance to clear out the weaklings/win your way in instead of buying in.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

so what was the point of challenger series and relegations? a bunch of money maybe. that's it.

This was already going to be the case, though. If TL got relegated do you really think they wouldn't buy a spot if being in LCS was a requirement for getting into the franchising? Riot just decided that the 3mil should go to them instead of whatever challenger team managed to nab a spot.

E:

njsykora posted:

Aphro is past his prime, same as LemonNation. Only CLG are a decent team while Flyquest are a bad team.
LemonNation being past his prime implies he had one. LemonNation is a smart player but his mechanics were never great. He became obsolete when they let coaches do pickban so having a player who was good at drafting was no longer a huge asset.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 17, 2017

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RealFoxy posted:

Spring split there were a couple people putting in work on reworked Ryze including Faker and Bjerg. I'm sure it's going to be a pocket pick for at least one team at World's.

If UoL limps there somehow because everyone on G2 dies, Exileh will probably int on it.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Crazy Larry posted:

Okay, who replaced the RNG vs WE game 5 stream with an old EU LCS broadcast?

WE was the other team in that infamous CLG.eu game, they might as well be an EU team sometimes.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Stop giving EDG LeBlanc Trist!!!

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm the Janna ult on one creep

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Work Friend Keven posted:

Do you think literally anyone anywhere would be sad or feel it was a disappointment if any western team made it to finals.

Yes but none of them post on this forum so who cares

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Teikanmi posted:

His girlfriend looks 11 years old

She's so short, holy poo poo. She has to be like under 5'0 right? Dlift isn't that tall and he's towering over her.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I am not waking up at 6am on a saturday to watch lyon gaming. What timezone are they aiming for anyway, Korean or something?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

well they're in china so i imagine they're aiming for "the time zone where we're in china so we play at normal times in china"

That would be a refreshingly logical new direction I guess.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Why are people so hype over the OCE team?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Group A feels hard to predict because both C9 and EDG are historically comically unreliable at worlds. EDG has come in hyped only to do nothing so many times, and C9 has come out of the gate strong day one only to instantly fall apart two years in a row. Never forget the powerful 3-0 week one followed by 0-4 (they lost a tiebreaker) week two.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The level of pre-planned macro in that game was insane, I haven't seen a champion select that well designed for a rush since that infamous smite heimer game. Nocturne is the perfect choice for a powerlevelled jungler, Galio has level 1 waveclear and tanks well with no items or levels, and trist/lulu is the perfect choice for a lane to push a tower hard enough to not be completely stymied by the damage reduction. Masterclass in an aggressive gameplan.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
And after an exciting game from GAM it switches to a boring-rear end game where C9 plays mediocre.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What a shock, EDG choked. Who could have guessed that they'd underperform at worlds?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vermain posted:

None, really. The overwhelming majority are fairly foregone conclusions. I'd say IMT vs. LZ is a decent watch if you really want to watch a second one, and SKT vs. C9 is good if you love watching Faker clap Jensen.

IMT vs LZ is good just to see how quickly LZ turns it. Olleh destroyed bot with Morg too.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Firebert posted:

Pobelter had hourglass when Rekkles flashed forward and used it after flashing

Just lmao

Yeah I don't know what the gently caress rekkles was thinking, how are they not gonna collapse in time in their own base when notorious p.o.b has hourglass?

RealFoxy posted:

If I were ranking players in that series before it started Rekkles would have been 2 or 3 yet he somehow managed to finish #10 at the end.

Soaz was a liability the entire game and couldn't even outsmite with feast. Rekkles threw it but if Soaz hadn't inted they should have already won by then.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
LZ read the macro really well honestly

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
As much as I'm not a huge fan of Ryze in general, I do love when teams do cool stuff with his ult.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RealFoxy posted:

Last year is also the year NA did well and then like 1-9 the following week so analyzing team strength is probably going to feel silly. China and Korea are also notorious for trying to hide strategies until deep in the tournament and playing as meta as possible during groups so LZ and RNG could be even stronger than they look right now.

If EDG is "hiding strats" then congratulations to Aaron and NoFe for destroying their own team out of a misguided belief that they could reap greater rewards later.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Schnorkles posted:

c9 looked pretty good against both ahq and edg but i have faith that they will detonate spectacularly in week 2

C9 can usually be relied on to invoke the spirit of Build Me Up Buttercup so I'm predicting they'll go 1-2 after going 2-1, then limp out of groups and fail completely in their first match outside of it.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
IMT is losing to a dog champ, smdh.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Who let soaz out (hoo hoo hoo hoo)

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
God damnit. GAM played that better in general but Optimus was just so bad at Ori :(

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

henkman posted:

And GAM and IMT deserved to get out? lol

Both GAM and FNC are going to get pasted by whoever they next play. I wish GAM had gotten out because they're not the oldest team in League and haven't been to worlds before so they'd benefit a lot more from the experience and hopefully can be better next year. FNC is going to get dumpstered, learn nothing, and not change at all.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Crazy Larry posted:

There's a new wild card darling every year at Worlds so I don't know that GAM making it out of groups changes anything except for a more interesting 3-0 series this year.

I never cared about kabum or whatever bullshit but I genuinely like the macro and strategies that both GAM and ANX pulled out and I hope both of them become real competitors. I was disappointed ANX broke apart and that the team that snagged the majority of them A) didn't get Likkrit and B) wasn't impressive. I'll be disappointed if GAM doesn't make it back next year. In particular I was impressed that they showed they can play things outside of cheese vs FNC, it's just a shame that Optimus' mechanics are so behind that they couldn't close it out.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

VG! posted:

You act like I'm not patrolling MOBA threads already!!!

Given methanar I assumed that was a safe guess

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

njsykora posted:

Parth was on an episode of The Dive earlier in the season where he talked in some depth about what coaches actually do, that's worth a listen if you're interested. I think most coaches though have a plan for the draft figured out with the players before they go on stage. I'd assume a dude with Sven's experience probably has some influence over what he plays which makes him constantly playing poo poo he can't play even more puzzling.

Even if he didn't, like, surely part of being a coach is recognizing what your players do and don't do well on, right? Like he has to have discussed PB with Sven at some point. It's the same reason I (not here) give KKoma poo poo for stuff like that EDG game- as a coach, how do you not recognise that your star player cannot play Ori into Lucian? Like how does your pickban ignore one of Faker's biggest visible weaknesses? Obviously it's partially Faker's fault for having that weakness but I don't understand why you'd ignore it.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
LZ just completely fell apart, what the gently caress :psyduck:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"Rolling the dice isn't working for SKT and it's coming up blackjack, it's coming up everything, for Misfits" :psyduck: this metaphor

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Technically C9 is improving
Groups week 1: 3-0
Groups week 2: 0-4
Quarters: Didn't qualify
Groups week 1: 2-1
Groups week 2: 1-2
Quarters: 0-3
Groups week 1: 2-1
Groups week 2: 1-2
Quarters: 2-3

Maybe next year they'll be 0-3'd in semis :v:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They didn't take Trist game 5, it was banned. They took Cait which I guess was to deny Cait/Janna but felt like a huge mistake.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vermain posted:

It's now officially confirmed that Ryu, Ssumday, and Meteos (!) have been signed to 100T. Didn't Meteos officially retire years back after it became clear he had zero interest in the game anymore? What happened?

he'll only sign to terrible teams to ensure that he doesn't ever have to feel the pressure to be worlds-calibre again

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They really need to call that mastery perfect criming, because the amount of poo poo people got away with using that early stopwatch was unreal. The five man dive where everyone blocked a tower shot with it was particularly ludicrous.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vermain posted:

wolf jungle: going about as well as expected

:ironicat:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
EU has been really boring domestically and only okay internationally for a while and I don't see how losing talent will change that. On the other hand, the shakeup might produce enough bad teams doing silly poo poo to be entertaining.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Unscientific posted:

Alright, after that interview...yeah, implosion is gonna happen. He hasn't learned a goddamn thing.

"What do you say to people who say you have an ego problem?"
"We're really good and can back it up."
:ughh:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
TOP sure did make one good play at baron and then get mashed into the dirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vermain posted:

steve REALLY managed to stitch together a roster this time, hot drat

When you hire half the players that exist you have a lot to draw from