Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Luna Was Here posted:

Wait does tsm play tonight

They're the first game of the night against Flash Wolves, they play the rest of the days this week.

There's a ton of hype about TSM's botlane so I'm looking forward to double choking super hard and Bjergsen being unable to carry because of the meta. I got my TSM hoodie ready. Last time I bought an esports hoodie was for CLG in 2015, and that turned out great. They got poo poo on by flash wolves in a group everyone expected them to get out of that year too and then kicked all the players I was interested in. Good luck TSM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Maguoob posted:

Wouldn't 0-12 be the dream? Though I haven't looked to see if NA can go 0-9 and then have C9, IMT, & TSM end up in tie breakers and then lose those.

If TSM loses all 3 they're out. https://roadtolarissa.com/worlds-group-2017/

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

zelgadis posted:

you know, part of the reason that analog sports work is because each team has a regional audience. like even a very bad team that has no real star players can still be popular in their home town. But with esports it's hard to get behind the bottom teams because they're a bland brand their players are always changing, but i guess that's the same with any team.

I just don't see why sports team owners are investing money in random esports teams just because it has 'sports' in the name. Does anyone have an Envy Tshirt, or care about them as an institution? I'm not 100% sure how this franchising works, but certainly the more popular a team is, the more money they will make in the long run? Is there a point in owning a last place team that everyone makes fun of, just to have a piece of your portfolio in esports?

Rich dudes buy esports teams because they have kids or grandkids who think video games are cooler than analog sports now, and they have so much money the millions they're spending don't really matter. At least I have to believe that because I can't believe a sane person concludes 25 million into the overwatch league is a sound investment strategy.

The teams who bought in at the bottom were betting on making a lot of money when franchising hit. I believe P1/Envy bought in for around 1 million and their expected payout is well over that. If Dig is really getting kicked out they may end up taking a lot of the buyout money since shares are based on number of splits in the league. Still, there's no way they don't make a reasonable profit.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

This is the second time NA's hosed Pob that way. CLG told him he was going to have to split time with Huhi which prompted his departure in 2015 before week 2. Think they also knew Doublelift was leaving at that point and CLG went from 2-1 first week to 0-3 the second week.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Ulio posted:

Kinda feel bad for him. Heh.

Also is it been pretty much confirmed that Riot declined their application because of their Overwatch Team?

Apparently only that they're the LA team and have an esports stadium thing that competes with lcs I guess. Optic has an overwatch team and no league team and they got in. Envy had both and got dropped. C9 has both and is still in.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Lovechop posted:

ahhh skt are gonna win again aren't they?

I think RNG still has a shot in this meta. My pickems are hosed though. RIP blue dragon worlds skins.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

There's only one person with the perfect pickem still left and that's because of Samsung beating Longzhu 3-0

I feel like LZ/SKT/SSG had a rock-paper-scissors type thing where LZ did well against SKT, SKT did well against Samsung, and Samsung did well against LZ so I think SKT might end up winning another championship :x

e: lmao apparently that one person has Misfits winning World's though. 43 people still had perfect pickems until Samsung won

It's really weird someone would go to all the trouble of inventing a time machine and just use it to get some free skins for league of legends.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

njsykora posted:

That would've been Arena of Valor, Tencent's totally-not-league mobile game. Tencent put a lot of money into making this stuff happen (because that's how you get stuff done in the IOC) so most of the games involved are their games or games they have invested in.

Nah, it would have been Clash Royale. Arena of Valor pretty much just looks like a moba even if you're really mad about the fact that it's a mobile game or something.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Ulio posted:

Also it seems Tencent will abandon Arena of Valor(possibly biggest game ever) for League of Legends mobile. It is funny how we waited all these years for Riot's next game and it turned out to be League Mobile albeit a bit late.

The Chinese version of Arena of Valor is the biggest game ever, but they made a ton of really weird decisions when they made Arena of Valor. There isn't feature parity between the two games, they have different heroes with different kits and totally different names/looks/skins, just the map is the same, I think (I've played the Chinese version a bit, but I can't read Chinese for poo poo so god knows if the buffs on Dragon/Dark Slayer are different or something.) And then the switch game is different again and completely dead. This means that if you're trying to figure out the meta for Arena of Valor by cribbing from the much more advanced Asian scene it's completely impossible. The western version doesn't even get all the cool other modes that Honor of Kings has, it's just weird as poo poo, feels like what they did is more work for a shittier game.

I hope LoL mobile is good, honestly AoV as a 10-20 minute MoBA is really fun and I've been hoping for years that League would release a mode that plays in 10-20 minutes with increased gold/faster leveling/lower level cap that still provides the full experience. The main issue is that AoV's business model is incredibly predatory even compared to LoL and it's not hugely popular so there's not a lot of meta information/pro play to watch. Also curious what control scheme they go with, you can't really replicate LoL kits exactly with the AoV/Mobile Legends: Bang Bang/Paladins: Strike style controls, but Vainglory style controls are definitely not for everyone. A hybrid with AoV style controls with 4 abilities and on-use items would be neat, though I don't know how you'd fit it all in.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

njsykora posted:

The announcement post said 9.14, which is 2 patches (4 weeks) away. So it'd be July 10th if it doesn't get delayed.

They've already moved it up to 9.13, with ranked in 9.14. Supposed to hit PBE on the 18th. I assume Valve actually being fast about something for once has lit a fire under them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

All the orgs use the athlete visas I'm pretty sure, it was a big thing a while back where Riot lobbied super hard to get esports included in them. Certainly Liquid's been importing people for a long time now and probably knows how to do it, not like immigration lawyers are particularly expensive compared to a million dollars a year for Impact.